Session view users?

Session view users?
Posted on: 04.01.2014 by Bernard Pulizzi
as an Ableton user, I use arrangement view over session view all day, however I want to incorporate session view as I paid full whack for the software but I've barely touched session at all!

I have recently discovered that you can record from session into the arrangement which I believe could make it quite useful for tracking out some basic ideas, before then going in to tweak these ideas in arrangement.

I want some hardware - just like a child, I want a new toy, and it was going to be the Maschine, unless I can find a use for session view, in which case I'll grab a Push!

Do you use session in production? If so, how?

Thanks guys!
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Most of the my Live time these days is spent using Push only, so I'm strictly using Session view for that st the moment. Just jamming out some quick ideas and a rough arrangement.

Before I got Push I was mostly like you though, rarely touched Session view except for playing live, in the studio it was strictly arrangement view most of the time. Session view is nice for getting a quick idea down, but most of the time I find I need a bigger overview of my song in a more "permanent" state. Otherwise I start messing around too long in session view and not actually get much done!
I believe I'm definitely going to try and use it a little more, even if just for a change of pace - I believe they can both work well in unison so I might try and incorporate session into my workflow.

I feel that if I got a Maschine then I won't ever touch session, but if I got a Push I would live there ha.
Bernard Pulizzi
as an Ableton user, I use arrangement view over session view all day, however I want to incorporate session view as I paid full whack for the software but I've barely touched session at all!

I have recently discovered that you can record from session into the arrangement which I believe could make it quite useful for tracking out some basic ideas, before then going in to tweak these ideas in arrangement.

I want some hardware - just like a child, I want a new toy, and it was going to be the Maschine, unless I can find a use for session view, in which case I'll grab a Push!

Do you use session in production? If so, how?

Thanks guys!
Nikole Resende
I start(ed) all my projects in session view, even before I got Push.

It's just great to get some ideas down that later can be worked out in arrangement view.

The only important believe is: you need to know when to leave session view and start working in arrangement view! It's not only what Tarekith said about not really getting much done, but I also believe that working too much in session view is what got Ableton the reputation as the "boring loop based music" DAW it has.
Monserrate Rupnow
Good point, I rarely if ever use MIDI.
Berta Baie
I use session view quite a bit actually. I usually start off in session view to organize my ideas, throw down a few loops, and organize them into a coherent idea before i move on to arrangement view. Then later on there are times when I prefer recording into session view as I find it easier to work with the loops that way. I'll also store the loops there later on so i can just drag them around incase i need to switch up the arrangement or use the same midi part for another instrument. Its also good for making remix packs with as well.

I should add that I work pretty much exclusively with MIDI. I believe if i bounced everything down to audio session view wouldn't be much use for me, thats just a guess though.
Bernard Pulizzi
Originally Posted by Tarekith
Most of the my Live time these days is spent using Push only, so I'm strictly using Session view for that st the moment. Just jamming out some quick ideas and a rough arrangement.

Before I got Push I was mostly like you though, rarely touched Session view except for playing live, in the studio it was strictly arrangement view most of the time. Session view is nice for getting a quick idea down, but most of the time I find I need a bigger overview of my song in a more "permanent" state. Otherwise I start messing around too long in session view and not actually get much done!
I believe I'm definitely going to try and use it a little more, even if just for a change of pace - I believe they can both work well in unison so I might try and incorporate session into my workflow.

I feel that if I got a Maschine then I won't ever touch session, but if I got a Push I would live there ha.
Monserrate Rupnow

<< Back to Producer tips and DAW informationReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy