Ableton/Serato...2010!

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Ableton/Serato...2010!Reply
Ableton/Serato...2010!
Posted on: 01.10.2009 by Delphine Mauser
Looks like the partnership will be unveiled at NAMM January 14th.

I'm stoked!!! At first glance I thought I would not convert to Serato. Since the first anouncment and trying to get better linking between Traktor and Ableton, I will be very excited to see whats in store with this deal.

If there is super sync funtionality, and hopfully the ability to scratch Ableton Clips, me and Traktor will be breaking up for good!
Delphine Mauser
Originally Posted by BentoSan
Kore is a start, it defiantly is very cool but it still doesn't glue together djing into the mix what so ever.

I am more believeing Kore on a massive amount of steroids haha
Me TOO!

You can map like 6 parameters in Kore??? I believe thats right. WOW 6 whole parameters.
Xavier Emanuels
Originally Posted by JuanSOLO
I guess thats supposed to be Kore
Kore is a start, it defiantly is very cool but it still doesn't glue together djing into the mix what so ever.

ceyhun gunaz
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
BentoSans To Do List:

1. Get Some sleep.
2. Explain Max4Live to Karlos .
3. Pull hair out cus Karlos is stoopid.

Will have a read up on Max4Live. I have a feeling im gonna need to know this shit.

Yeah my man... the Max4Live shit is an AMAZING collab, its Ableton's answer to Reaktor... Pretty incredible and if it takes off like Reaktor's user library does...:eek: We are in for a whole new ball game in the Ableton DJ game.

Just to give you a bit of eye candy check these...

http://www.ableton.com/extend

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...r/?content=988
Delphine Mauser
NI need their own DAW that brings all their software\plugins\hardware together + Reaktor to manipulate it all - that would be absolutely mind blowing and give Ableton/Max/Serato a serious run for their money.

Anyways, they will definately need to pull something out of the hat on that one. I beleve they could but as it stands, it's lacking the flexability I would like to have. I just really love Abelton, always have. Reaktor just makes it even better. DJing with decks is still new to me. I've only been at it a coule years. But I loved hip hop as a kid and always wanted to scratch my own stuff. Blah Blah Blah.

It'd be rad to see what NI comes up with to challenge all of this Ableton Serato M4L biz. Surely "Flavors" of sound cards are not the answer, (pocket size???)
Xavier Emanuels
I'm amazed I cant use a Reaktor ens. as an effect directly inside Traktor, or Guitar Rig.
NI need their own DAW that brings all their software\plugins\hardware together + Reaktor to manipulate it all - that would be absolutely mind blowing and give Ableton/Max/Serato a serious run for their money.

NI has a huge load of absolutely wonderful tools, theres just nothing currently that ties them all together which is a huge shame I hope like hell they are working on something, all the pieces of the puzzle are there we just need something an environment put them together in. I wouldnt even care too much if that environment didn't support VST's if it was in the name of super low latency and high reliability - throwing VST's into the mix is not that great for latency or stability to be perfectly honest, i can definitely see why Reason/Record doesn't have support VST's (this is the same reason Traktor doesnt support VST's actually).
Luann Scatterday
You don't need several soundcards as it is right now, all you need is some virtual audio IN/outs so you can route channels from one to the other ... on mac you have jackosx, on PCs I believe you need asio4all and/ or Soundflower ... all freeware

Look here in djranking s for a really awesome tutorial on how to have tracktor (or serato for that matter) linked with Live (or cubase/ Fruity etc...).

Z
Ryan Morales
I'm hoping it allows serato to be run as a 'vst' in ableton. Ultimate would be in clip view instead of having 'clips' having the 'waveform' run up the screen as per serato & u can add as many of these decks in next to each other as you want then add effects etc to them. That would be godlike.

Also being able to use the serato SL3 box as your ableton soundcard (with 3rd output acting as the ableton channel perhaps) would be key (having to use 2 soundcards would be retarded).

I'm expecting something more as stated. Preconfigured rewire & perhaps different gridding. Would be choice if you could grid tunes in ableton and then the grids can be used by serato..... so many possibilities for awesomeness I hope its not an epic let down.
Luann Scatterday
Lsmith I agree that enlarging the "user programmer" base can be a smart move, but when I believe of it ... there is already so much stuff being made on Max/ Reaktor/SynthEdit, later it gets ported to VST i or Au anyways... so i'd believe that the more experienced and knowledge people are already on board really.

I am a synth nutt so I'm used to fiddling around and poking things trying to understand how they work and what you can do with the, and honestly I'm not really that excited with max 4 live (yet?!), only because it is a totally different level...

Where I believe this will benefit all is on how easy it will be to find new "plug ins" that do crazy stuff, made by other users... and again there is already so much freestuff out there.

The finger is one of the most creative plugs I've seem in years ... (though I'd seen something along the same lines with Abeton's Racks).
BTW - WORLD get ready to be totally rocked and revolutionized ... Celmony Melodyne DNA (or Melodyne 2 as some people call it) is already running around in Beta!!!!! The music world will never be the same again 4 sure!

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.ph..._betavideo&L=0
Leota Saniuk
i believe you are missing the point of what max integration brinfs to the table. to a certain extend you can see the power of what flexibility of tech offers for non technicap users in bentosan smart mixer or tims the finger. it allows othwr people to innovate and essentially expand the scope beyond the imagination of the original developers of your platform of choice. so i implore non technical people to embrace, even expect this kind of flexibility, in order to be assured to get these kinds of innovation at the pace of what the world is doing instead of the pace of the platform developers.
Luann Scatterday
IMHO the LIve / Serato collab will bring auto-beatgrid/ Key with superior audio quality to serato, plus a sort of simplified Pre-configured Rewire, so you can use Live's effects with Serato.
This should will probably also integrate the effects rack, with effect automation (maybe via dummy clips).... and last but certainly not least, enable you to record / play 4 channels into/ from Live with the simultaneous capability of using virtual drum machines/ Instruments with midi control and or sequencing...

This is what I believe with be the new LIVATO (or SERALIVE) lol ..

It's obvious what Serato as to gain, Live can benefit fromall the young DJs which will have a glimpse of the producting work, and probably will travel sooner or later into a full blown Copy of Abeton Live.

PS - IMHO ITCH V.2 already incorporate some of these collabs (namely with the gridding and timestreatch)

PS - NI's integration of Machine and Traktor is also a logic step in the same direction
Luann Scatterday
Maschine is in a way NI's DAW, or at least as close to it as it can... They would need to bring the audio recording to the table to make it a daw in it's own right!
To be honest I believe this all Max 4 Live it's all to geeky, don't get me wrong I like a little myself but I do believe most people care about looks/ intuitiveness I mean we spend countless hours looking at these things... I can see this move as something really exciting for more technical skilled people... but for the general user there is a genuine risk of alienating and make live look more and more a far from this idea of how simple and easy to learn and use it...
take a simple example ... Denon as always been superior to Pioneer, for the same price most of times you get more feat.s per $ with a Denon.
I remeber 5 years ago a Denon S5000 was absolutly mind blowing BUT it's not easy to read! you need to practice, explore and learn how to use it ... Pioneer totally won the market just by keeping simple/ easy to understand and use...
Just 3 year ago I was so much more difficult for me to sell a Traktor over a Serato, just because had way to much stuff for people's minds at the time...

So in sum I really believe the world does not have much more head space for another DAW, unless it is radically different, but mainly it is much easier / fast to learn and use... maybe one with a gigantic "Make me a Hit" button or some mind reading facilities lol

Personally I've realised I spend to much time crafting and sculpting sounds and the perfect mix, and not as much making actual music!! I believe we are as a whole maybe losing a little bit of the right focus!

What would I like Traktor to evolve?? Maybe the ability to make yer own effect racks (which would allow some sort of effect automation and sequencing), a Joystick Crossfader (X-fade between 4 Channels)... one of the effects could be some sort of frequency band cross fader, another one could be sidechain compressing between decks by band ... I don't really mix in key or worry to much about it, but would love a realtime analysis and compatibility info for key and spectral content of each track ...

More a more it is easy to pile tracks, but very very few people pull it off, making it sound as if only 1 track is playing

Z

PS - I haven't seen any1 implement a simple but usefool/ Cool feat ... A SOLO Button (like the Korg Zero Mixers)...
Vernetta Sulenski
I'm abit on the skeptical side of this. Look how long it took NI to get the 1.2 update out for Traktor and 1.1 still isn't final for Maschine. There is talk of Maschine/Traktor integration, but how long will that take? Geez, Maschine doesn't even properly work with a DAW yet.. It almost seems integration into anything else just isn't on the Radar. Which is pretty sad seeing a product like Finger which is being marketed as real time effects. Who needs that more than Djs?
Roberto Viccione
Oh man, that would be amazing. a DAW that flawlessly ties together NI's absolutely mind blowing host of samplers and soft synths, uses Kore to organize all of the sounds, and then can be used in conjunction with Traktor, possibly through the Maschine interface, using NI's super secret new MIDI controllers... wow. The thought of it just makes me shiver in glee
Harold Jaras
I'm really quite surprised NI hasn't made a rial DAW yet. it just seems Logical, no? no matter what happens with the Serato/Ableton matrimony you know once it's released it will be only a matter of time before NI drops a bombshell. I feel the next few of years of technology are going to straight up reinvent the wheel.

also, even though I don't use ableton or serato, I am kind of excited to see what they've come up with, because I've been trying to believe of how they integrated these two seemingly opposite workflows. in order to pull it off and make some money they have to get that part just right.
Xavier Emanuels
Ableton got it right, the future of music software from a commercial standpoint is using your 1000's of users as coders - provide them the tools to create their own crazy setups, allow them to release them publicly and reap the rewards of your massive user base making your program better for you while you rake in the $$$ for their hard work

Anyone other company not doing the same isn't going to stand a chance competing against that.

This hybrid of commercial and open source is a VERY profitable biz setup.
ceyhun gunaz
Yeah all good points here... If NI does have something brewing in their labs like a powerful DAW or a KORE on a massive amount of steroids that would be EPIC...

But I love Bento's idea on maybe getting like Traktor/ Reaktor all in one... Like The Finger for Reaktor and TP?? in ONE!! Thats getting a little insane on the effect side of things huh??
Delphine Mauser

Me TOO!

You can map like 6 parameters in Kore??? I believe thats right. WOW 6 whole parameters.
Xavier Emanuels

ceyhun gunaz
BentoSans To Do List:

1. Get Some sleep.

Will have a read up on Max4Live. I have a feeling im gonna need to know this shit.

Yeah my man... the Max4Live shit is an AMAZING collab, its Ableton's answer to Reaktor... Pretty incredible and if it takes off like Reaktor's user library does...:eek: We are in for a whole new ball game in the Ableton DJ game.

Just to give you a bit of eye candy check these...

http://www.ableton.com/extend

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...r/?content=988
Delphine Mauser

Anyways, they will definately need to pull something out of the hat on that one. I beleve they could but as it stands, it's lacking the flexability I would like to have. I just really love Abelton, always have. Reaktor just makes it even better. DJing with decks is still new to me. I've only been at it a coule years. But I loved hip hop as a kid and always wanted to scratch my own stuff. Blah Blah Blah.

It'd be rad to see what NI comes up with to challenge all of this Ableton Serato M4L biz. Surely "Flavors" of sound cards are not the answer, (pocket size???)
Xavier Emanuels
I'm amazed I cant use a Reaktor ens. as an effect directly inside Traktor, or Guitar Rig.

NI has a huge load of absolutely wonderful tools, theres just nothing currently that ties them all together which is a huge shame I hope like hell they are working on something, all the pieces of the puzzle are there we just need something an environment put them together in. I wouldnt even care too much if that environment didn't support VST's if it was in the name of super low latency and high reliability - throwing VST's into the mix is not that great for latency or stability to be perfectly honest, i can definitely see why Reason/Record doesn't have support VST's (this is the same reason Traktor doesnt support VST's actually).
Delphine Mauser
When I first heard about Serato and Ableton I wondered if there was some kind of bad blood between NI and Ableton. I thought surely this should be happening with NI and Ableton. Kinda of strange, but what do I know anyways.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
BentoSans To Do List:

1. Get Some sleep.

Delphine Mauser
What Traktor needs is a Max4Live object and some options on the NI soundcards for better audio routing, that will give Serato/Ableton a run for their money for sure !
Maybe we will se some of that with the Reaktor 6 stuff. Seems to me Reaktor is supposed to be NI's Max??? Maybe they will make all of thier software completely intergradeable. I'm amazed I cant use a Reaktor ens. as an effect directly inside Traktor, or Guitar Rig.

I haven't use Mrs Pinky. I was on the site the other day wondering what I was missing. I know I can use it as a plug. But your right, M4L should make just about anything possible. There's an ensamble in the Reaktor UL that converts a variety of Timecode for DJing. I tried it out and it didn't work as good as I hoped, but nevertheless the possibilities are there.
Xavier Emanuels
Mos Definately!

I really wish NI would make Traktor a plug and these 2 had nice sync options.

However if this partnership turns into scratching clips, or Ableton controlling the BPM on my timecode vinyls "beat grid" or whatever Serato uses, plus the ability to use any plugs directly on the deck etc, that will rock. Now adding the M4L to retrieve signals from that and alter video images and other parameters or whatever, that will be insane. Granted most Serato DJ's I know couldn't care less about Ableton. But some of these guys out here are going to F it up when this stuff finally gets banged out.
What Traktor needs is a Max4Live object and some options on the NI soundcards for better audio routing, that will give Serato/Ableton a run for their money for sure !

Im a bit confused really.
I mean i get Serato. Thats all nice and that.
I get Ableton , thats a different kinda program for Djing.

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy shit.
Most of the DJs i see use Ableton cant even mix/scratch/dj they just play, which is fine dont get me wrong i couldnt care less how someone makes music just as long as its good.

Convince me. Seriously , im not knowledgeable when it comes to Ableton.
How is this gonna work and who is this gonna be aimed at?

[i am not being a Traktor fanboi, im seriously looking for Info]
The problem with Ableton currently is that its a drastically different approach to Djing than the traditional approach - theres alot of traditional dj techniques (like scratching, beatjuggling) that cant be done with Ableton alone.

Then you have Serato that has a huuuuge big list of stuff you cant do that you can do in Ableton which is a drastically different approach to DJing and live performance.

What the Serato Ableton conjunction does is promise to help combine these two different approaches to live music / djing into a single performance - which is defiantly where things should be headed and to be honest i dont know why we arnt there yet.

If your using controllers though i have a strong feeling that Max 4 Live is going to allow us to do this sort of thing anyway, throw MsPinky into the mix or a Max4Live patch that decodes vinyl timecode and were going to be able to do what the Serato/Ableton collaboration promises us anyway. Hence why the Serato Ableton colab doesnt excite me anywhere remotely near as much as Max4Live does.
Delphine Mauser

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy shit.
Most of the DJs i see use Ableton cant even mix/scratch/dj they just play, which is fine dont get me wrong i couldnt care less how someone makes music just as long as its good.

I was gonna add some of those points in my previous post. I'm not knocking DJ's by this statement, I just dont know many wether they are using Ableton Traktor or Serato, that would really care or take the time to utilize the possibilities that may be in store here. HOWEVER there are guys out there doing much more than DJing and they will put a new spin on it for sure.

Personally I am just into the idea that I could consolidate, and personalize my Ableton set up in a way that made playing music more interactive and fun for me. Most people watching have no idea whats going on in my world. But I do, and thats why it would appeal to me. I wanna have as much fun with my gear as allowed.

I'm not sure who it will be aimed at, but once you see some guys who are going to be ballz out with some cool new tricks, they will turn heads. I mean sure there are a current stock of DJ's and laptop music makers as we speak, by the millions! It's the kids who haven't got into highschool yet that will be splitting wigs in 2 or 3 years. The ones without jobs who stay at home and have the drive and gusto to constantly practice and innovate.
Delphine Mauser
Serato needs Ableton waaaaaaay more than Ableton needs Serato.

Mos Definately!

I really wish NI would make Traktor a plug and these 2 had nice sync options.

However if this partnership turns into scratching clips, or Ableton controlling the BPM on my timecode vinyls "beat grid" or whatever Serato uses, plus the ability to use any plugs directly on the deck etc, that will rock. Now adding the M4L to retrieve signals from that and alter video images and other parameters or whatever, that will be insane. Granted most Serato DJ's I know couldn't care less about Ableton. But some of these guys out here are going to F it up when this stuff finally gets banged out.
nayit ruiz jaramillo

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy complex shit.

Xavier Emanuels
The only thing i believe is interesting about this deal is the ability to use Serato Timecode, everything else is kind of a joke. Serato needs Ableton waaaaaaay more than Ableton needs Serato.

Max4Live is something that is going to be much nicer to look forward towards i believe. There is still a hell of a lot that remains to be seen with these announcements though - as always time will tell !
Luis Peal
Hell yes. I can't wait.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy