Comparison of controllers to use w/ SSL?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Comparison of controllers to use w/ SSL?Reply
Comparison of controllers to use w/ SSL?
Posted on: 14.11.2011 by Audrey Pinda
So from what I've gathered and seen, Serato Scratch Live doesn't have a ton of controllers to use with it.

Denon DN-HC1000S:

Novation Dicers:

Native Instruments Kontrol X1 w/ Serato Layout:

Vestax VFX-1:

That's pretty much all there is. If you have the Rane TTM-57SL mixer, you get some additional controls on the mixer, but not much else.

What do you guys use, and why do you use them? Are there any that I missed?

I'm getting SSL pretty soon, and I already know that down the line I'm going to want to get an additional controller for physical control over some of the FX knobs and such. A lot of nicer mixer's have that stuff built in, but I figure since it's in the program anyhow, I might as well just do that instead of investing in a new mixer down the line (because I honestly really like mine).

Right now I'm honestly believeing that the dicers are the neat tool of the bunch, but the VFX-1 would be nice if I ever decided to go with a VCI-300 for mobile purposes in the future.

Thoughts and experiences using the different controllers with Serato?
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by nikoo
a pair of dicers and a trigger finger is all ive ever used and they work just great.

@jprime -- i might have some trigger finger questions in the near future as when i map it out i can never get the program / bank change button to work...
Hit me up anytime in a PM.
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by farhanashraf
^ the vfx-1 he has in the initial post is for itch, it says right on the pic too
"and can be used to control the DJ-FX within Serato Scratch Live."

I'd rule that out as a choice for an SSL controller if that's all it could do in SSL though personally.
So far I haven't seen a controller for SSL that has as many features as the trigger finger.

Maybe and MPD of some sort.
Audrey Pinda
So from what I've gathered and seen, Serato Scratch Live doesn't have a ton of controllers to use with it.

Denon DN-HC1000S:

Novation Dicers:

Native Instruments Kontrol X1 w/ Serato Layout:

Vestax VFX-1:

That's pretty much all there is. If you have the Rane TTM-57SL mixer, you get some additional controls on the mixer, but not much else.

What do you guys use, and why do you use them? Are there any that I missed?

I'm getting SSL pretty soon, and I already know that down the line I'm going to want to get an additional controller for physical control over some of the FX knobs and such. A lot of nicer mixer's have that stuff built in, but I figure since it's in the program anyhow, I might as well just do that instead of investing in a new mixer down the line (because I honestly really like mine).

Right now I'm honestly believeing that the dicers are the neat tool of the bunch, but the VFX-1 would be nice if I ever decided to go with a VCI-300 for mobile purposes in the future.

Thoughts and experiences using the different controllers with Serato?
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by nikoo
a pair of dicers and a trigger finger is all ive ever used and they work just great.

@jprime -- i might have some trigger finger questions in the near future as when i map it out i can never get the program / bank change button to work...
Hit me up anytime in a PM.
Carey Gay

Audrey Pinda
Yeah I probably will end up getting a pair of dicers, but the idea of the VFX-1 for the future has me interested as well. If I were to get a controller to go with for easier mobility, at the moment my choice would probably be the Xone DX or VCI-300 (to stick with Serato's product line). And so it would be effective for both SSL and ITCH, which is something to consider if I ever wanted to get a controller (which isn't in the works right now).

Going to have to do more research though and see how/what other people are doing. Apparently what I know about additional controllers for SSL is just the tip of the iceberg lol.
Xenia Gorin
I wish more were designed like the ZOMO MC1000, http://www.zomo.de/en/Products/MIDI-...r-MC-1000.html
Onita Harri
The VFX-1 is nice that the its natively supported, but its bigger and heavier than the X1. Not to mention its way overpriced if you were to buy it new.
Breanne Penge
Weird, I thought that Vestax controller was an SSL controller too.

Seems like most off the shelf SSL controllers handle about everything except the sample banks.
Ninfa Larranaga
i stand corrected
Breanne Penge
Originally Posted by farhanashraf
^ the vfx-1 he has in the initial post is for itch, it says right on the pic too
"and can be used to control the DJ-FX within Serato Scratch Live."

I'd rule that out as a choice for an SSL controller if that's all it could do in SSL though personally.
So far I haven't seen a controller for SSL that has as many features as the trigger finger.

Maybe and MPD of some sort.
Ninfa Larranaga
Breanne Penge
I believe the OP was looking for controllers to use with SSL not itch
Breanne Penge
Rotaries are a must IMO. Maybe a MF Pro with rotaries would do well, but I can't see the classic doing the job for me.
Leeanna Ayla
The midi fighter classic will work with SSL and the X1 and dicers are both plug and play afaik.
Osvaldo Newhall
Among the choices you posted, the NI X1 is ideal and have a good layout. Although the Dicers are capable of controlling as a player, it's still best used for hot cues, looping and effect stutter rather than controller.
Johnetta Olewine
I really liked using my LPD8 when i had serato. Enough knobs for effects and looping etc and enough pads for cue points and navigation.
Rena Estabrook
Denon. Plug and play. I can't imagine it gets any easier.
Breanne Penge
I like my trigger finger. Allows me to switch between sample banks and have more controls overall.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy