Itch- Some real competition?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Itch- Some real competition?Reply
Itch- Some real competition?
Posted on: 26.01.2012 by Asha Kravetz
Haha, Hi guys

With the latest improvements to itch, it's looking more and more appealing compared to Traktor Pro 2

Serato Video is going to be a heck of a hit, and the integrated sample player control with cue buttons looks even cooler.

Is it just me, or is itch really making an attractive turn as of now?

Only thing is the way traktor handles loops as cue points on my S4, during sets i can just jump straight to them, as well as the effects on Traktor.

I believe i'm starting to miss my Ns6.
Cristian Carmona
Originally Posted by Johbremat
That, or maybe being a troll is a new requisite for mods...
wow, ive called everything but a troll online.
Lindy Jonker
Originally Posted by JesC
...[D]on't...talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
I've nothing to worry about then.

But DUDE, farkin' CONTEXT. Your rebuttle is all sorts of wrong given the content being addressed.

Cristian Carmona
TL;DR but...

Serious? Context much?

Aside, agree with dookiex. There isn't even a DAW that has close to the same functionality that Traktor has for MIDI (before I get misquoted).

Be nice if Ableton provided that sort of flexibility for Live in a 8.x update.

*dreams*

ok here we go,
1. serato midi isnt limited, its 75 - 80% same as Traktor - w/out Midiout.
2. SL-Video - both SSL & itch
3. Bridge - it works, and its awesome
4. Crosscompatiable music library from SSL - ITCH - Intro
5. 3 models, SSL, ITCH, & Intro, no T2 DUO, T2 PRO, TS DUO, TSPro, TS4,etc

I was the biggest NI user on the Westcoast with Traktor & Maschine. But I lost faith in the s/w after traktor 3. At the end I say rock what you got, but dont bust a JesC and talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by dookiex
The thing is, the functionality still needs to be available in Traktor at the application level (let that be the timing of accepting command inputs or whatever else). I don't actually know how the code in the Traktor application looks like so it might quite possibly be that even simple changes to the application in the ways you've suggested might actually end up being a very big ordeal. Remember, wanting the application to natively behave in a certain way is completely different from programming controller input strings that you store and fire off from the firmware/memory of a controller.
true, but this isn't like most everyone wanting the controller manager to be improved where maybe it really will take a whole redesign to achieve it.

* i don't believe a beatjump +/-3 and the other odd numbers should be too hard, tho some internal representation might have to be rejigged to allow those to be added

* a control that combines a cuejump + a beatjump can't be too hard? (well i'd hope not)

* adding an extra out should be the easiest (for pads animation) since they already have the % thru the track 'out' as well as the beatphase.

this would basically enable slicer functionality internally in traktor anyway - so it's not that it needs to be a whole new area of functionality but just some additional 'ins' and 'outs'

the next version of midimasher (hopefully released today) will work round the timing issues anyway using the method i described, so personally i won't be too worried after that - but will ofc update my code if they add *anything* internally that would help with a slicer implementation

as i said, i didn't even consider traktor adding any internally supported slicer-goodness before u mentioned it, but it would make them very popular if they did

if itch can do it and so can vdj (via it's own internal scripting) then traktor is behind the curve on this one atm
Lindy Jonker
TL;DR but...

Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware.

Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software
To say traktor is on the only good heavy duty s/w is a real closed minded statement

Serious? Context much?

Aside, agree with dookiex. There isn't even a DAW that has close to the same functionality that Traktor has for MIDI (before I get misquoted).

*dreams*
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by jprime
Itch has always been up there. I prefer it over Traktor personally.
Same here. I got so tired of midi mapping and "flexibility". I felt more like a computer programer than a DJ with Traktor. There are very subtle things that are far superior in Serato (SSL and Itch) that I preferred over Traktor, library management being one of the biggest ones. Never having to deal with the "collection" again, and having a prepare screen. Also flexible beat grids is awesome in Itch and although the effects are limited in Itch they post fader which is a huge plus. I prefer to use the effects on a DJM 800/900 over any software regardless.
Clinton Voran
Originally Posted by zestoi
traktor doesn't even need all that much extra to be able to have slicerish goodness builtin. a single command that can jump to a cuepoint + a certain number of beats would be cool, else traktor assumes we didn't really mean to send those commands in so close together. also needs to be able to jump 3 beats without needing to stack 1+2 for that.

thats really all it needs for the actual slicing, with a loop enabled.

something extra would be needed to help animate the pads, to avoid having to use something like midimasher. some thing kind of like the beatphase but counts on the beat as opposed to cycling within the beat.

wouldn't take much anyway - to at least give us a few extra mapping controls.
The thing is, the functionality still needs to be available in Traktor at the application level (let that be the timing of accepting command inputs or whatever else). I don't actually know how the code in the Traktor application looks like so it might quite possibly be that even simple changes to the application in the ways you've suggested might actually end up being a very big ordeal. Remember, wanting the application to natively behave in a certain way is completely different from programming controller input strings that you store and fire off from the firmware/memory of a controller.

For all we know, Traktor could have been built via some arcane Frankensteined programming language or what not. Maybe the way it was written was completely inflexible if one wished to change aspects of the application. Will probably never know for sure but what is certain is that it's probably much easier to just have stored controller input strings than it is to go and alter the application code.
Chasidy Heckenbach
I doubt that there is any real good solution around the lag in this instance because from what I can tell, it's basically firing off a sequence of button input but it's essentially doing the same series of actions in the Traktor software itself as opposed to Itch where that functionality is actually baked in at the application level. Basically, unless Traktor actually has the functionality baked it, it's never going to perform perfectly like the slicer mode does in Itch (with the Twitch hardware of course, seeing how software functions are turned on or off in Itch depending on what controller it recognizes is connected, though I guess if one was to go the length of reverse engineering Twitch and Itch, theoretically you can jury rig a non-Twitch controller to have access to the slicer function).
traktor doesn't even need all that much extra to be able to have slicerish goodness builtin. a single command that can jump to a cuepoint + a certain number of beats would be cool, else traktor assumes we didn't really mean to send those commands in so close together. also needs to be able to jump 3 beats without needing to stack 1+2 for that.

something extra would be needed to help animate the pads, to avoid having to use something like midimasher. some thing kind of like the beatphase but counts on the beat as opposed to cycling within the beat.

Rebbecca Fennell
i love itch. my only complaint is the lack of individual output controllers, i was totally expecting numark to announce a V6. was hoping for something light enough you could throw in a backpack with your laptop and just walk to a bar with, light enough you can set it on top of a set of turntables. ive got a vci300 and a pair of V7s - the V7s are just too inconvenient to ever leave home and the vci while i am surprised by how much i enjoy it the looping is a pain in the ass. if it wasnt for the fact that my V7s are in shit cosmetic condition i would just sell them and get an sl box.
Cristian Carmona
wow, ive called everything but a troll online.
Lindy Jonker
...[D]on't...talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
I've nothing to worry about then.

But DUDE, farkin' CONTEXT. Your rebuttle is all sorts of wrong given the content being addressed.

Cristian Carmona
TL;DR but...

Serious? Context much?

*dreams*

ok here we go,
1. serato midi isnt limited, its 75 - 80% same as Traktor - w/out Midiout.
2. SL-Video - both SSL & itch
3. Bridge - it works, and its awesome
4. Crosscompatiable music library from SSL - ITCH - Intro
5. 3 models, SSL, ITCH, & Intro, no T2 DUO, T2 PRO, TS DUO, TSPro, TS4,etc

I was the biggest NI user on the Westcoast with Traktor & Maschine. But I lost faith in the s/w after traktor 3. At the end I say rock what you got, but dont bust a JesC and talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
Breanne Penge
I see in Itch/Twitch you can use the touchstrips to refine your slices in slicer mode too

Win.
Leonor Bones
hi

Our original ABBEY ROAD instruments gave you the DRUMS, now we're giving you the DRUMMER: The ABBEY ROAD DRUMMER Series puts dynamic, natural drum tracks at your fingertips. With over 1,000 grooves played live by top session drummers, a detailed Mixer Section and class-A studio effects, each instrument is a unique, high-end drum studio.
Chasidy Heckenbach
true, but this isn't like most everyone wanting the controller manager to be improved where maybe it really will take a whole redesign to achieve it.

* i don't believe a beatjump +/-3 and the other odd numbers should be too hard, tho some internal representation might have to be rejigged to allow those to be added

* a control that combines a cuejump + a beatjump can't be too hard? (well i'd hope not)

* adding an extra out should be the easiest (for pads animation) since they already have the % thru the track 'out' as well as the beatphase.

this would basically enable slicer functionality internally in traktor anyway - so it's not that it needs to be a whole new area of functionality but just some additional 'ins' and 'outs'

the next version of midimasher (hopefully released today) will work round the timing issues anyway using the method i described, so personally i won't be too worried after that - but will ofc update my code if they add *anything* internally that would help with a slicer implementation

as i said, i didn't even consider traktor adding any internally supported slicer-goodness before u mentioned it, but it would make them very popular if they did

if itch can do it and so can vdj (via it's own internal scripting) then traktor is behind the curve on this one atm
Lindy Jonker
TL;DR but...

Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware.

To say traktor is on the only good heavy duty s/w is a real closed minded statement

Serious? Context much?

*dreams*
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by jprime
Same here. I got so tired of midi mapping and "flexibility". I felt more like a computer programer than a DJ with Traktor. There are very subtle things that are far superior in Serato (SSL and Itch) that I preferred over Traktor, library management being one of the biggest ones. Never having to deal with the "collection" again, and having a prepare screen. Also flexible beat grids is awesome in Itch and although the effects are limited in Itch they post fader which is a huge plus. I prefer to use the effects on a DJM 800/900 over any software regardless.
Clinton Voran

For all we know, Traktor could have been built via some arcane Frankensteined programming language or what not. Maybe the way it was written was completely inflexible if one wished to change aspects of the application. Will probably never know for sure but what is certain is that it's probably much easier to just have stored controller input strings than it is to go and alter the application code.
Chasidy Heckenbach
I doubt that there is any real good solution around the lag in this instance because from what I can tell, it's basically firing off a sequence of button input but it's essentially doing the same series of actions in the Traktor software itself as opposed to Itch where that functionality is actually baked in at the application level. Basically, unless Traktor actually has the functionality baked it, it's never going to perform perfectly like the slicer mode does in Itch (with the Twitch hardware of course, seeing how software functions are turned on or off in Itch depending on what controller it recognizes is connected, though I guess if one was to go the length of reverse engineering Twitch and Itch, theoretically you can jury rig a non-Twitch controller to have access to the slicer function).

Clinton Voran
yep, basically what i meant. they're pretty much embedding in the vci i guess the code that i have in my midimasher - or at least sending out the same beatjumps etc to traktor that i have to.

i don't believe there's any other way atm to implement a slicer in traktor without using a method based on that blog entry on djtt a few months back which is to jump to a hotcue and then send 0, 1 or 2 beatjumps to get to the place u needed to be. the "pads animation" could all be done within the vci ofc, synched off the beat phase monitor, which is what my midimasher script does too.

be very interesting to see it in action anyway... main problem with my own previous implementation was that the 3ms delays that had to be inserted actually delayed all events from being processed, but now they get queued up, which is what i would expect their vci firmware to do.

unless they have some cunning backdoor into traktor to do the beatjumps... tho then i guess they would have used a different method in that blog post.
Chasidy Heckenbach
I believe with the VCI-400 EG edition, I believe that they have probably got the slicer style function in there in a roundabout way. Probably baked into the actual hardware firmware rather than it being an actual TP2 mapping. I could be wrong but that seems the more plausible way to do it seeing how Traktor is a pretty closed off and proprietary piece of software.
yep, basically what i meant. they're pretty much embedding in the vci i guess the code that i have in my midimasher - or at least sending out the same beatjumps etc to traktor that i have to.

i don't believe there's any other way atm to implement a slicer in traktor without using a method based on that blog entry on djtt a few months back which is to jump to a hotcue and then send 0, 1 or 2 beatjumps to get to the place u needed to be. the "pads animation" could all be done within the vci ofc, synched off the beat phase monitor, which is what my midimasher script does too.

be very interesting to see it in action anyway... main problem with my own previous implementation was that the 3ms delays that had to be inserted actually delayed all events from being processed, but now they get queued up, which is what i would expect their vci firmware to do.

unless they have some cunning backdoor into traktor to do the beatjumps... tho then i guess they would have used a different method in that blog post.
Clinton Voran
that would be pretty cool - as there's no ideal way of implementing a slicer in traktor with extra software due to the way you can't stack certain commands together, i.e: needing a 3ms delay after sending a beatjump +2 before sending a beatjump +1 to jump to beat 3 (after initially sending out a "jump to active cue" type command)

i'm dying to see what extra mapping stuff they may have added. would be cool if they added a slicer natively since it's been so popular with the twitch. they would be kind of stupid not to... tho i hadn't really thought about that possibility till u mentioned it

i believe the djtt custom vci400 is meant to have a slicer builtin too? i can only guess they have the same issues i had with stacking commands via my midimasher app.
I believe with the VCI-400 EG edition, I believe that they have probably got the slicer style function in there in a roundabout way. Probably baked into the actual hardware firmware rather than it being an actual TP2 mapping. I could be wrong but that seems the more plausible way to do it seeing how Traktor is a pretty closed off and proprietary piece of software.
Asha Kravetz
I'm really debating getting rid of my S4 after my residency gigs on Friday and Saturday now......
Lorine Krattli
I like Itch, just started using it with my Twitch and despite a few hiccups its all good and I have come from using TP2. I would use TP2 with the Twitch but the standard mapping is pretty bad and I am not confident enough mapping my own layout with modifiers etc so I hope the new Traktor (2.5?) has a new dedicated Twitch map that uses the capability of the software and hardware to its full potential.
Breanne Penge

I'm really looking forward to Bridge integration.
Chasidy Heckenbach
Originally Posted by mart21har
I believe this is where NI is going to lose ground to the K2...
you mean their X1 will? their new F1 must be the most perfect controller for the new sample deck stuff in 2.5 since they've been designed hand in hand - tho i still believe the K2 is what i want (as those new awesome looking behringer units are maybe 6 months off hitting the shelves)

pads on the F1 are probably going to be a lot nicer than the K2 ones - for sample deck mashing anyway - but a K2 should make for awesome control of eq/level/kills/transport for 4 decks...

be interesting to see what the new behringer ones are like - not that i am short of pad controllers tho with an lpd8 and 2x launchpads
Asha Kravetz
true - tho traktor's control manager is no walk in the park either... but i agree it easy for simple stuff.

indeed i can't wait for 2.5 to come out... just hoping it's a free upgrade, but no biggie if it's not - so long as not too expensive. i can't wait to start mapping the new sample deck stuff...

I believe this is where NI is going to lose ground to the K2...
Chasidy Heckenbach
I believe that it might actually have a slicer function built in this time around. Seems to have become a DJ software standard at this point from all the new controllers featuring a slicer-like feature.
that would be pretty cool - as there's no ideal way of implementing a slicer in traktor with extra software due to the way you can't stack certain commands together, i.e: needing a 3ms delay after sending a beatjump +2 before sending a beatjump +1 to jump to beat 3 (after initially sending out a "jump to active cue" type command)

i'm dying to see what extra mapping stuff they may have added. would be cool if they added a slicer natively since it's been so popular with the twitch. they would be kind of stupid not to... tho i hadn't really thought about that possibility till u mentioned it

i believe the djtt custom vci400 is meant to have a slicer builtin too? i can only guess they have the same issues i had with stacking commands via my midimasher app.
Clinton Voran
true - tho traktor's control manager is no walk in the park either... but i agree it easy for simple stuff.

indeed i can't wait for 2.5 to come out... just hoping it's a free upgrade, but no biggie if it's not - so long as not too expensive. i can't wait to start mapping the new sample deck stuff...
I believe that it might actually have a slicer function built in this time around. Seems to have become a DJ software standard at this point from all the new controllers featuring a slicer-like feature.
Chasidy Heckenbach
I don't believe you understood my point. The things you've pointed out are mostly in regards to flexibility with customization but they come at the cost of complexity. I don't feel that VDJ, Mixx, and DJD are comparable from the full package perspective.

Lastly, let's not forget that Traktor Pro 2.5 is right around the corner and is going to have it's own bag of tricks...
Clinton Voran
VDJ allows for more customization and cunning tricks via it's xml maps from what i've seen compared with traktor. it has built in scripting and i've seen people even implement twitch style slicers etc - so traktor doesn't win there for sure.

djdecks supports very flexible xml and also embedded scripts too - which is being merged into VDJ in some way for the next release afaik.

mixxx supports embedded javascript (i believe?) scripting so lets u do way more without 3rd party software (like my midimasher) which will be more and more useful over time as they add/improve features.

haven't looked in detail into torq 2 so not sure there - but it does have an open XML format for it's config which should be a hell of a lot easier to edit than being forced into using the NI controller manager - just not sure what u can and can't do with it.

the main advantage i believe of traktor over most others are the awesome effects that are available - but to say it's the most versatile for mapping is def not correct imho - and i own/use traktor btw and am not intending to switch any time soon - so i'm def not biased against traktor - far from it.

edit: djdecks even has support in it's xml maps for HID devices (http://djdecks.be/index.php?module=d...p=midi_xml.php) wish traktor would do that (and i don't mean just for their own private HID for format ofc) and pcdj (http://www.pcdj.com/index.php/dex/dex_scripting/) has a full scripting language built in for automating/triggering stuff

so with regards to midi+scripting, in many ways traktor is one of the weakest of the bunch. itch doesn't have this kind of customisation but that's a conscious choice ofc.
I don't believe you understood my point. The things you've pointed out are mostly in regards to flexibility with customization but they come at the cost of complexity. I don't feel that VDJ, Mixx, and DJD are comparable from the full package perspective.

Yes, you have the flexibility for scripting but the problem with that is that one seriously needs to get even deeper and dirtier with them then they had to do even with Traktor (and let's face it, Traktor is nowhere considered a cakewalk to MIDI map, but at least one did not have to go into full blown coder territory). Basically, I don't feel that they are more powerful, what I felt like they did with VDJ, Mixx, and DJD was that they did not make mapping proprietary. It's like trying to win the argument that Linux is better than OSX or Windows while ignoring the fact that Linux has the major prohibitive nature of being inaccessible to most people.

Lastly, let's not forget that Traktor Pro 2.5 is right around the corner and is going to have it's own bag of tricks...
Chasidy Heckenbach
I honestly can't believe of another dedicated DJ software package that has comparable features, versatility (particularly in regards to midi mapping), and freedom with hardware that TP provides without going the whole hog Ableton style DAW route.
VDJ allows for more customization and cunning tricks via it's xml maps from what i've seen compared with traktor. it has built in scripting and i've seen people even implement twitch style slicers etc - so traktor doesn't win there for sure.

djdecks supports very flexible xml and also embedded scripts too - which is being merged into VDJ in some way for the next release afaik.

mixxx supports embedded javascript (i believe?) scripting so lets u do way more without 3rd party software (like my midimasher) which will be more and more useful over time as they add/improve features.

haven't looked in detail into torq 2 so not sure there - but it does have an open XML format for it's config which should be a hell of a lot easier to edit than being forced into using the NI controller manager - just not sure what u can and can't do with it.

the main advantage i believe of traktor over most others are the awesome effects that are available - but to say it's the most versatile for mapping is def not correct imho - and i own/use traktor btw and am not intending to switch any time soon - so i'm def not biased against traktor - far from it.

edit: djdecks even has support in it's xml maps for HID devices (http://djdecks.be/index.php?module=d...p=midi_xml.php) wish traktor would do that (and i don't mean just for their own private HID for format ofc) and pcdj (http://www.pcdj.com/index.php/dex/dex_scripting/) has a full scripting language built in for automating/triggering stuff

so with regards to midi+scripting, in many ways traktor is one of the weakest of the bunch. itch doesn't have this kind of customisation but that's a conscious choice ofc.
Clinton Voran
I honestly can't believe of another dedicated DJ software package that has comparable features, versatility (particularly in regards to midi mapping), and freedom with hardware that TP provides without going the whole hog Ableton style DAW route.
Asha Kravetz
That's an obvious given. DJ Tech Tools is all about customization, Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware. Why the heck would Serato solutions really be all that popular on DJTT when Serato's approach is a integrated hardware + software solution? Pretty much a given.
That's why i bought my S4. I wanted it to all be fully plug'n'play. I don't want to mess with stuff that doesn't just work 100% of the time. Reliability is what i'm after since DJ'ing is my job.
Cristian Carmona
Clinton Voran
itch has awlays been a good piece of s/w but on DJTT traktor seems to have more traktor users.
That's an obvious given. DJ Tech Tools is all about customization, Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware. Why the heck would Serato solutions really be all that popular on DJTT when Serato's approach is a integrated hardware + software solution? Pretty much a given.
Cristian Carmona
itch has awlays been a good piece of s/w but on DJTT traktor seems to have more traktor users.
Melinda Wubben
Originally Posted by mart21har
Is it just me, or is itch really making an attractive turn as of now?
Don't forget flexible beatgrids and in-flight warping!

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy