How To Get The Most From The Effects In SSL 2.0

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: How To Get The Most From The Effects In SSL 2.0Reply
How To Get The Most From The Effects In SSL 2.0
Posted on: 11.05.2012 by Leigh Dollyhigh
I will edit this further if i get some input from you guys

Start with the easy effects I can use:

HP Filter/ LP Filter: Fairly easy to use, has a resonance control, LFO control, and you can select the beat pattern you want it to follow. Great for taking out High end or low ends of tracks.

Delays: Only started playing with this fairly recently when mixing house/techno. It’s a great effect to get a rolling drum sound at the end of a bar. for house i find the best is to have it set up as follows.

depth starting low, feedback staying at 12 and beats set at 3/4. then when it comes to the end of a bar turn depth to 12 then instantly back down to 0 at the start of a new bar

Echo: Having trouble with this one, its very subtle sounding and I have difficulty manipulating the effect. Would be great for some help on this! The best use ive found so far is when it comes to a breakdown in a track i have it set as follows.

Depth at 4, Feedback at 3, fb filter 12, beats at either 4/1 or 2/1. i then turn it on for a beat of 4, actually stop the track playing, then the last 4 beats repeat and get fainter and fainter with each bar, then start playing the track again at the end of one of the repeats.

Crusher: Finally managed to find some use for this last evening , managed to get it create a white noise/ subtle hissing sound by

Setting the depth to 10'oclock, blend to full and low drive to anything.

Reverser: Great in case you have a dirty track you want to play but need to edit out the swear words because of the crowd.

Start with depth at 0, Chance at 3, count at9 , beats 16/1, then when the swear word is about to be said, turn the depth up to full, then back down afterwards.

Phaser: Cant get it sounding good as yet

Breaker: Cant find a use as yet, having difficulty setting this up to sound good.

Repeater: Not used this properly, always sounds rubbish IMO could do with help

Reverb: Only ever use this on breakdowns with vocals
Depth at 10 and room size at 12

Temolo: Have no clue what this could be used for

Flanger: Most people know what this is about, unfortunately I just cant get it simulate a punchy sound like on most pioneer mixers. Sounds weak and very flat. Any ideas on why?

(I know there is more, but cant remember what at the moment, will update later)

Questions I have though:
I see on the TTM 57 mixer it allows for different Echo setting as seen in this video and also a BP filter
Can these not be accessed without using a TTM57?

Then there is other effects I see in other articles I don’t seem to have, such as the auto fade in this picture http://serato.com/scratchlive/suppor...-fx-101/page/2
Cristian Carmona
Originally Posted by Konix
Those are the hardware based effects on the 57, not the software DJ-FX. The 57's hardware effects are different from the software based DJ-FX.

I made that video too (yes, I'm SeratoTutor on Youtube)

i must search for the Serato Tutor!
Jacquie Whipp
Originally Posted by ctg23

Questions I have though:
I see on the TTM 57 mixer it allows for different Echo setting as seen in this video

{YOUTUBE VIDEO REMOVED FOR QUOTING SAKE}

and also a BP filter

Those are the hardware based effects on the 57, not the software DJ-FX. The 57's hardware effects are different from the software based DJ-FX.

Leigh Dollyhigh
I will edit this further if i get some input from you guys

Start with the easy effects I can use:

HP Filter/ LP Filter: Fairly easy to use, has a resonance control, LFO control, and you can select the beat pattern you want it to follow. Great for taking out High end or low ends of tracks.

Delays: Only started playing with this fairly recently when mixing house/techno. It’s a great effect to get a rolling drum sound at the end of a bar. for house i find the best is to have it set up as follows.

depth starting low, feedback staying at 12 and beats set at 3/4. then when it comes to the end of a bar turn depth to 12 then instantly back down to 0 at the start of a new bar

Echo: Having trouble with this one, its very subtle sounding and I have difficulty manipulating the effect. Would be great for some help on this! The best use ive found so far is when it comes to a breakdown in a track i have it set as follows.

Depth at 4, Feedback at 3, fb filter 12, beats at either 4/1 or 2/1. i then turn it on for a beat of 4, actually stop the track playing, then the last 4 beats repeat and get fainter and fainter with each bar, then start playing the track again at the end of one of the repeats.

Crusher: Finally managed to find some use for this last evening , managed to get it create a white noise/ subtle hissing sound by

Setting the depth to 10'oclock, blend to full and low drive to anything.

Reverser: Great in case you have a dirty track you want to play but need to edit out the swear words because of the crowd.

Start with depth at 0, Chance at 3, count at9 , beats 16/1, then when the swear word is about to be said, turn the depth up to full, then back down afterwards.

Phaser: Cant get it sounding good as yet

Breaker: Cant find a use as yet, having difficulty setting this up to sound good.

Repeater: Not used this properly, always sounds rubbish IMO could do with help

Reverb: Only ever use this on breakdowns with vocals
Depth at 10 and room size at 12

Temolo: Have no clue what this could be used for

Flanger: Most people know what this is about, unfortunately I just cant get it simulate a punchy sound like on most pioneer mixers. Sounds weak and very flat. Any ideas on why?

(I know there is more, but cant remember what at the moment, will update later)

Questions I have though:
I see on the TTM 57 mixer it allows for different Echo setting as seen in this video and also a BP filter

Then there is other effects I see in other articles I don’t seem to have, such as the auto fade in this picture http://serato.com/scratchlive/suppor...-fx-101/page/2
Cristian Carmona
Originally Posted by Konix

i must search for the Serato Tutor!
Jacquie Whipp
Originally Posted by ctg23

Questions I have though:
I see on the TTM 57 mixer it allows for different Echo setting as seen in this video

{YOUTUBE VIDEO REMOVED FOR QUOTING SAKE}

and also a BP filter

Breanne Penge
tbh, I still switch between using 3 FX per channel, and using the Super Knob with my own chained FX.

My mixer, and most mixers already have decent FX so I try not to reuse those in serato (HPF for example). I try to set it up to get the most out of my entire setup, so I like taking that into consideration if I show up to a place with a mixer that has no onboard FX.

That being said, I have a standard setup using 3 FX per channel for when the mixer has nothing, and in the other case - I'll load up my Super Knob / chained setup.

If I am using the Ableton Serato Bridge - I tend not to use FX in serato too much, since Ableton is so much more equipped for the job.

I'd be interested to check out anyone else's custom serato FX - if anyone feels like posting them up, let's see them. (for those not in the know - you can export an XML file of your custom setups )
Leigh Dollyhigh
well thats what this thread is about, sharing tips.

i mean making my own effects isnt something ive really dived into, I might use an effect from serato and then team it up with an effect from my mixer but that’s about it. Will give this a go on the weekend

I use an x1 controller and only have 1 effect accessible per channel, but that’s given me a good idea to use 2 per channel and use the shift button to switch between channel 1 and 2.

You have anything else you do in serato?
Breanne Penge
Have you tried editing your own FX?

There are some settings for each effect you can manipulate and save.

For instance, I like to chain 2 delays, and set their parameters slightly different. Then by engaging the effect gradually or dramatically, you can get a neat 'Beat Repeat' ish effect like in Ableton

Kinda surprised you didn't even mention creating your own FX - to me that's how you get the most out of seratos FX.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy