Persuade me to switch to SSL

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: Persuade me to switch to SSLReply
Persuade me to switch to SSL
Posted on: 03.08.2012 by Lauretta Ehrhorn
Right then!

Been using Traktor for a number of years now and have a Turntable background but recently I've been getting frustrated with Traktor's reliability and quirky issues with timecode vinyl.

I've never tried SSL but do own a Twitch so I have a starting point with Serato.

What I want to know is if timecode response is more accurate and reliable in Serato. Also do users enjoy Serato more? I'm finding Traktor....erm, bland and a bit German for my liking ( no offence intended Germans).

I'm sure many threads similar to this are already out there but please respond.

I'm currently at the point of ditching digital altogether and going back to purely vinyl as I enjoy it far more than Traktor. If Serato brings back some soul and pleasure then i'm in.
Sherry Nyblom
Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609
which ssl interface are you using with your i3? i have a ttm57 and ive heard a few stories about usb dropouts?
All usb 1.1 interfaces (ttm57sl , sl1, etc.) will not work properly on i-series cpu computers running windows os. So basically either you switch to mac or use cpus prior to i-series. Otherwise you will be in problems.
Golden Faubert
which ssl interface are you using with your i3? i have a ttm57 and ive heard a few stories about usb dropouts?
sorry i took so long, just seen this, i own an sl2 but have also used sl3 with no problems, but my laptop is optimised to the tits
Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by ToOntown
Thanks for that bit of info! I'll definitely check it out.

What about The Bridge? Can I run that without the interface?
I haven't really dug into the bridge but I plan on it soon.
Shonda Soulier
Originally Posted by bigbeatzz
You can run a one deck version without the interface. You can analyze, setup cue points, loops and create crates using the one deck version.

It's way more dummy proof than traktor. I had memories of freaking out seconds before show time because my Audio 8 was acting up. Basically you plug in, add track to deck, play!

Karolis Petrauskas
Not being a Serato user, I have turned down gigs that require me to use in-house SSL rigs, but I'm beginning to notice an increased SSL interest within me. I've been heavily researching the gear, The Bridge, more gig opportunities, etc. and I'm showing less and less interest in Traktor too.

Who out there has the Serato software installed but doesn't own the Rane hardware? I know I can't run it properly without a Rane device, but it would be great to be able to set up all of my crates and playlists ahead of time, show up to a gig with my laptop and play without having to set up my own gear. Na'mean?
You can run a one deck version without the interface. You can analyze, setup cue points, loops and create crates using the one deck version.

It's way more dummy proof than traktor. I had memories of freaking out seconds before show time because my Audio 8 was acting up. Basically you plug in, add track to deck, play!
Stefania Herb
Originally Posted by brian_johnstone
i made the same move and never looked back! i love ssl! my win7 i3 laptop peaks at 15% cpu running fx, & midi controller also. like others said it just does what it should when it should
Lauretta Ehrhorn
The verdict is I haven't made the purchase yet. Had decided to go down to my local shop and buy an SL3 package but then news of the Pioneer Aero hit the net and I stalled. Gonna demo that unit first as it tick a few boxes I require (wireless not being one of them however).
Can only afford one purchase currently and would like both as they do very different jobs (may buy a 2nd hand sl1 too if i get the Aero as 2010 mac).

Appreciate all your feeback guys and hope to have something positive to add re Serato soon.
Karolis Petrauskas
So, what was the verdict?
Sherry Nyblom
All usb 1.1 interfaces (ttm57sl , sl1, etc.) will not work properly on i-series cpu computers running windows os. So basically either you switch to mac or use cpus prior to i-series. Otherwise you will be in problems.
Golden Faubert
sorry i took so long, just seen this, i own an sl2 but have also used sl3 with no problems, but my laptop is optimised to the tits
Stefania Herb
you need a FULL copy of AL8 it sucks that APC version dont work
Shonda Soulier
i've been looking around and can't find the answer. can i use my APC40 version of Ableton to run The Bridge or do I need AL8?
Shonda Soulier
good to know. thanks for the info, guys.
Stefania Herb
you will need a SSL interface to run the bridge as you have to have SSL and Ableton open to run the bridge. SL1's go pretty cheap on Ebay these days, or you can look for a TTM57 or a Sixty Eight
Karolis Petrauskas

I haven't really dug into the bridge but I plan on it soon.
Shonda Soulier
Originally Posted by bigbeatzz

Karolis Petrauskas
Not being a Serato user, I have turned down gigs that require me to use in-house SSL rigs, but I'm beginning to notice an increased SSL interest within me. I've been heavily researching the gear, The Bridge, more gig opportunities, etc. and I'm showing less and less interest in Traktor too.

Who out there has the Serato software installed but doesn't own the Rane hardware? I know I can't run it properly without a Rane device, but it would be great to be able to set up all of my crates and playlists ahead of time, show up to a gig with my laptop and play without having to set up my own gear. Na'mean?

Shonda Soulier

Stefania Herb
Originally Posted by brian_johnstone
i made the same move and never looked back! i love ssl! my win7 i3 laptop peaks at 15% cpu running fx, & midi controller also. like others said it just does what it should when it should
Golden Faubert
Sherry Nyblom
I was trying Traktor and always come back to SSL. Like guys say: library management and simple interface and midi mapping is what is best on SSL. Only thing I miss from Traktor is FLAC support which is non-existent and midi out messages.
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Looks like i'm buying a Serato interface next week then. Worst case scenario I sell and go back to Traktor with a small financial loss but I reckon i'm gonna love it.

Cheers guys, will post back when I'm up and running.
Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by haze324
This. I switched from Traktor to SSL and have not looked back. It just works man. The workflow is simple and to the point. With Traktor I used to find myself fucking around with Traktor more than my music and sets. With SSL I focus much more on what I'm playing and enjoy it much more. One of the biggest advantages is the library managment in SSL vs. traktors collections.
This! Haze put me onto Serato, and while I own both platforms, Serato is my DVS of choice. It's dead simple and works tightly with the time code.
Julissa Serrone
I LOVE my SSL... its easy to midi map, it does what its supposed to when its supposed to, it doesn't hog CPU usage, if you have Ableton, you can use the bridge, updates are free, and tbh completely honest (i come from a turntablist hiphop dj background) i believe its better as a DVS than Traktor. as for the timecode signal, Q Bert did a test and found no real difference in loudness or response.

im SSL till i die so i might be a bit biased, but theonly DJ friends i have that dont use Serato are the ones that spin house music, and Traktor is what came with their Pioneer DJJ T1's, other than that, we'e all SSL
This. I switched from Traktor to SSL and have not looked back. It just works man. The workflow is simple and to the point. With Traktor I used to find myself fucking around with Traktor more than my music and sets. With SSL I focus much more on what I'm playing and enjoy it much more. One of the biggest advantages is the library managment in SSL vs. traktors collections.
Julissa Serrone
I LOVE my SSL... its easy to midi map, it does what its supposed to when its supposed to, it doesn't hog CPU usage, if you have Ableton, you can use the bridge, updates are free, and tbh completely honest (i come from a turntablist hiphop dj background) i believe its better as a DVS than Traktor. as for the timecode signal, Q Bert did a test and found no real difference in loudness or response.

im SSL till i die so i might be a bit biased, but theonly DJ friends i have that dont use Serato are the ones that spin house music, and Traktor is what came with their Pioneer DJJ T1's, other than that, we'e all SSL
Lauretta Ehrhorn
Late 2010 MBP Dual drive i5 with 8 gig Ram. My laptop is rock solid...Traktor isn't (although it used to be).

Tried the new timecode but still wasn't happy. Maybe i'm just fussy and won't be happy with Serato either.
Erica Charvet
Are you using the 2.0 timecode records? Apparently they improved it quite a bit, although I never had any issues with the original one either. If you're having reliability issues, you may want to look over your laptop as a whole... The software itself is rock solid.
Claude Koveleski
^this SSL for the win
Stefania Herb

Jonathan Chiuchiolo
traktor should be more responsive than serato as it uses a timecode signal at 2500Hz, serato is 1000Hz... The difference is traktor hogs more cpu because of the effects... But with a powerful enough computer & proper settings theoretically you should be able to get better timecode control in traktor...

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy