DDJ SX as a DVS Mixer = No Rane Hardware?

Home :: Anything on the Serato :: DDJ SX as a DVS Mixer = No Rane Hardware?Reply
DDJ SX as a DVS Mixer = No Rane Hardware?
Posted on: 04.10.2012 by Evelia Mcgaffin
A bit confused about the soundcard options within the upcoming DDJ SX ...

As I understand, one could use an S4 and Traktor Scratch Pro with a pair of TTs to essentially re-map the S4 as a mixer.

DJ Dummy does it in this sick as F video:

Can I do the same thing with this sparkly new DDJ SX and use it as a DVS Mixer with Serato DJ (SSL)? I would LOVE to bypass getting some SL1/2/3 from Rane. I've been looking at specs, but am not the most educated when it comes to DVS, soundcard requirements, and the interworkings of the whole Serato + Rane relationship.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Originally Posted by icb
You do realize you can use almost any midi controller to map almost anything in SSL (besides platters), right? So contact with laptop is actually not needed at all?
That's true - I suppose I didn't believe of this...

I'd rather have a designated place on the mixer or controller itself that is designed for software control - like Numark's ITCH controllers have in place. Probably just because I'm in the habit of using them and I can blaze through the software.
Sherry Nyblom
Originally Posted by B Linus
The idea of integrated SSL control through the hardware is only done through the Rane 57SL/61/62/68... it all leads to minimal contact with the laptop, which is what Traktor users have had going for them since the beginning.

Sigh......
You do realize you can use almost any midi controller to map almost anything in SSL (besides platters), right? So contact with laptop is actually not needed at all?
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Originally Posted by Onelove221

Not to mention it feels like you are flying the Space Shuttle vs. playing music.
Lol true.

I've never tried serato, none of my friends use it either.
Rebbecca Fennell
The idea of integrated SSL control through the hardware is only done through the Rane 57SL/61/62/68... it all leads to minimal contact with the laptop, which is what Traktor users have had going for them since the beginning.

Sigh......

theyre going to have to change in order to keep up. ive kept with serato because their library management and workflow just feels better, but after all this time - just started using an x1 and traktor and yeah theres plenty of shit i miss but really if serato doesnt get it together as a competitor theyre going to lose their base. that means theyre going to have to loosen the reins that rane has on SSL or people are just going to jump ship, this divided product line makes no fucking sense.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
I wouldn't hold my breath on it but I wouldn't rule it out.
That sums it up for me.
Evelia Mcgaffin
A bit confused about the soundcard options within the upcoming DDJ SX ...

As I understand, one could use an S4 and Traktor Scratch Pro with a pair of TTs to essentially re-map the S4 as a mixer.

DJ Dummy does it in this sick as F video:

Can I do the same thing with this sparkly new DDJ SX and use it as a DVS Mixer with Serato DJ (SSL)? I would LOVE to bypass getting some SL1/2/3 from Rane. I've been looking at specs, but am not the most educated when it comes to DVS, soundcard requirements, and the interworkings of the whole Serato + Rane relationship.
Scottie Pazin
I've moved from Traktor Pro w/ Remix Decks w/ S2 ---> Pioneer DDJ-SX w/ Serato DJ and it has been a great decision my friends.

The layout is clean, plenty of functional FX, the sample decks are awesome. There is little to no latency and the cross faders are just as I expected; seamless.

I have an Akai APC 40 to mess around with Ableton (soon to be Cubase) but beyond that, I believe I'll pick up an Akai MPC, two CDJ-2000 Nexus and a Rane mixer to see what all the rant is about.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Originally Posted by icb
That's true - I suppose I didn't believe of this...

I'd rather have a designated place on the mixer or controller itself that is designed for software control - like Numark's ITCH controllers have in place. Probably just because I'm in the habit of using them and I can blaze through the software.
Shala Wohletz
One amalgamated product would make sense even if we had to use the sl box as a dongle to use time codes through the sx...
Sherry Nyblom

Sigh......
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Originally Posted by Onelove221

Not to mention it feels like you are flying the Space Shuttle vs. playing music.
Lol true.

I've never tried serato, none of my friends use it either.
Melinda Wubben
My bet is that this will only happen if they manage to renegotiate whatever exclusivity deal they have with Rane. No sooner, and maybe never.
Miss Peay
I believe the endgame is to roll SSL and Itch into one product.

Right now, they've got the best of both worlds - They have a club/pro-gear level partner in Rane, AND they have a major partnership with the other 800lb gorilla in the industry - Pioneer.

I currently use SSL in major club gigs and dj competitions (NO ONE uses traktor in either here. No. One.) and and NS6 with Itch for the handful of mobile gigs I do every year.

I do have a VCI-400 when I want to play around with Traktor but honestly, once Serato DJ is made availble for the Vestax, I will probably stop bothering with Traktor altogether. Nice software with lots of bells and whistles, but crappy library managment and workflow.

Rebbecca Fennell

Sigh......

theyre going to have to change in order to keep up. ive kept with serato because their library management and workflow just feels better, but after all this time - just started using an x1 and traktor and yeah theres plenty of shit i miss but really if serato doesnt get it together as a competitor theyre going to lose their base. that means theyre going to have to loosen the reins that rane has on SSL or people are just going to jump ship, this divided product line makes no fucking sense.
Evelia Mcgaffin

Sigh......
Audrey Pinda
I'm pretty sure it won't work without the box... but from what I understand... you should be able to plug in an SL4, use the two platters to control two decks, and use the turntables/cdj's to control the other two. Sounds like they are working towards it. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help keep the cost down at all yet.
Tatum Ansaldo
Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant
I wouldn't hold my breath on it but I wouldn't rule it out.
That sums it up for me.
Rebbecca Fennell
I wouldn't hold my breath on it but I wouldn't rule it out either, time will tell but I believe its obvious serato is trying to make a more all encompassing program in order to compete.
Evelia Mcgaffin
Bummer.

This would also eliminate the ability to manipulate the software via the hardware when using DVS. The huge downside I see with a Rane box is that I'd be having to drag/drop tracks with the trackpad on my laptop. Lame.

Guess I'm keeping the Rane Sixty-Two on my wishlist...
Tatum Ansaldo
Not right now I don't believe. Serato DJ isn't the new SSL, it's the new ITCH. Still controller only and no DVS. I expect SSL and SDJ to merge at some point in the future, but I don't know what the audio interface policy will be.

<< Back to Anything on the SeratoReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy