Midi fighter as drum machine

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQ :: Midi fighter as drum machineReply
Midi fighter as drum machine
Posted on: 20.03.2012 by Rory Nicolet
I use both ableton, reason, and sonar x1 studio. I am wondering if I can use the midi fighter as a simple drum controller? (drum machine). are there mapping availiable? I am not a Dj but the durability of the arcade buttons has me interested.
Rory Nicolet
I use both ableton, reason, and sonar x1 studio. I am wondering if I can use the midi fighter as a simple drum controller? (drum machine). are there mapping availiable? I am not a Dj but the durability of the arcade buttons has me interested.
Chasidy Heckenbach
it does sound pretty cool... shame there's no demo of the software - tho maybe it doesn't make much sense without having the hardware attached at the same time. i especially like the potential for synching maschine with traktor for mixing in your own tracks and samples/loops/etc with other peoples tunes. trying to work out atm whether maschine or ableton or some other software is the best thing to use. there's a lot more choice of controllers than a year ago anyway...
Sylvia Greener
Maschine's workflow is fantastic. You can produce the whole track on your Maschine without having to look on your laptop a single time. That's what I love it for. Sometimes I tend to forget about the fact that the Maschine device is just a controller. It feels so much like stand-alone hardware! I don't know about any function you could not control with the Maschine controller. Just a matter of training. When it comes out of the box, you are ready to start after a few minutes (NI has great youtube tutorials for beginners). On the other hand, you can have used it for half a year and still have not yet discovered every single feature. It's both, easy to use and deep in features!

And the library is great, of course! I added some synths and some of my own samples but a lot of fantastic production tools (also compressor, limiter etc.) are already included. And if you need more you can simply add it.
Chasidy Heckenbach
i used to program rhythms on a yamaha rx-15 back in the day... which just had an accent button to raise the volume. did the trick tho i need to find out about the maschine software sometime. the controller looks great but am quite curious about it's work flow.
Sylvia Greener
@zestoi
Totally agree with you, but I must admit that I don't use the velocity function very often on my Maschine. Normally I play out my groove with a fixed velocity and then readjust velocity levels. So, for some people (like me) it will also work without velocity sensitivity.
Chasidy Heckenbach
u can, the downside being that it's not velocity sensitive. they are fun to bash away at but for drum programming i'd prefer touch sensitive pads. each button just sends out midi note on/off so should be easy to map to any software.
Sylvia Greener
In general it would be possible, of course. But as far as I know, there aren't any mappings available yet. But in Ableton Live mapping is very easy (maybe you already tried it). It's just about clicking on the Midi-Button in the right upper corner, then to click on a control element of the program and then to press the button on your midi-controller and you're finished. Super easy!
The other thing is if you would like to have the midi-fighter button feel for playing drums. I personally like sturdy pads much more and so I went with Native Instruments Maschine. Alternatively you could have a look at Akai's MPD series which, of course, doesn't include software and sounds.
And if you already owned a midi keyboard, why not save money and use the midi keyboard as a drum controller?

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-100 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy