Custom Midi-fighter parts

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Custom Midi-fighter partsReply
Custom Midi-fighter parts
Posted on: 28.02.2011 by Shane Alberg
Hey DJTT,

I have a bunch of parts for my own midi-fighter I'm building from scratch. So far, I have a solid set of arcade buttons that get the job done, but aren't very nice; a spare microcontroller, midi interface to hack up and send MIDI over USB, and button pads, as well as a ton of LEDs. What I'm looking for is a set of pots and knobs that have a rugged enough feel but will withstand some heavy use. So far, I have around 20 of these from SparkFun, but I ran into an issue where the output jiggles too much. The Arduino has a 10-bit ADC, and I'm mapping that down to be a 7-bit value for a MIDI-CC, but it still jiggles up and down too much.

I haven't found any good advice anywhere else, so I figured I would put it up to you guys.

Also, if anybody knows any faders and knobs as well, that would be nice, but it's not necessary for this build.

I wish DJTT would sell the knobs and faders they use, like with the arcade buttons, I would buy a ton ...

Thanks!
Shane Alberg
Hey DJTT,

I have a bunch of parts for my own midi-fighter I'm building from scratch. So far, I have a solid set of arcade buttons that get the job done, but aren't very nice; a spare microcontroller, midi interface to hack up and send MIDI over USB, and button pads, as well as a ton of LEDs. What I'm looking for is a set of pots and knobs that have a rugged enough feel but will withstand some heavy use. So far, I have around 20 of these from SparkFun, but I ran into an issue where the output jiggles too much. The Arduino has a 10-bit ADC, and I'm mapping that down to be a 7-bit value for a MIDI-CC, but it still jiggles up and down too much.

I haven't found any good advice anywhere else, so I figured I would put it up to you guys.

Also, if anybody knows any faders and knobs as well, that would be nice, but it's not necessary for this build.

I wish DJTT would sell the knobs and faders they use, like with the arcade buttons, I would buy a ton ...

Thanks!
Shane Alberg
That was my second solution, but these pots are generally not of good quality. I mean, they are being cut down from 10 bits of resolution down to 7. But yeah, if I couldn't find anything good, I can easily take an average of whatever samples.

Thanks!
Adolf Hit
You need to find a way to filter out the noise on the input from the pots/faders.
Often just averaging over x samples is fine for analog controls in midi applications.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy