The Dreaded Jog Wheel Question

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: The Dreaded Jog Wheel QuestionReply
The Dreaded Jog Wheel Question
Posted on: 06.06.2011 by Madlyn Trocino
I have been laying in bed at evening losing sleep while believeing endlessly to myself, "if only I could connect a Jog Wheel to one of my Midifighter PCB Boards, then everything would perfect in every way imaginable...."

Problem is....Ive tryed it without much luck.

I used MF Expantion Ports in both Analouge and Digital modes and matched the 5v and Grounds etc etc using some old Jog Wheel from a A&H Xone 1D and also a Jog wheel from a DJ-Tech Mix 101. Both Jogs have atiny board inderneath the Jog that is (i guess) how the midi is proccessed within its own board.

PICTURE OF JOG & BOARD BELOW

Using the Expantion ports on the Midifighter, I am able to get CC numbers (varified in TP2).

The DJ-Tech is clearly labeled on the board with a - 5V, Ground and WL1A and WL1B (Pic below). As I said I was able to get two different CC numbers with the Jog connected to the MF, but when I mapped it to the "Jog" in Traktor, I got movement, but not anything that was usable. The movement was either jumping all over the place, only moving in one direction or not moving at all. I tryed all the settings within Traktor also (Fader relative, Direct etc etc)

So my question is.....am I missing something here with these specific Jogs that im testing.....OR.....Is there a certain type of enless encoder I could buy (dont care about cost) that would pretty much work straight away while connected to either the Analouge or Digital Expantion ports of the Midifighter to control the Jog funtion in Traktor?
Madlyn Trocino
I have been laying in bed at evening losing sleep while believeing endlessly to myself, "if only I could connect a Jog Wheel to one of my Midifighter PCB Boards, then everything would perfect in every way imaginable...."

Problem is....Ive tryed it without much luck.

I used MF Expantion Ports in both Analouge and Digital modes and matched the 5v and Grounds etc etc using some old Jog Wheel from a A&H Xone 1D and also a Jog wheel from a DJ-Tech Mix 101. Both Jogs have atiny board inderneath the Jog that is (i guess) how the midi is proccessed within its own board.

PICTURE OF JOG & BOARD BELOW

Using the Expantion ports on the Midifighter, I am able to get CC numbers (varified in TP2).

The DJ-Tech is clearly labeled on the board with a - 5V, Ground and WL1A and WL1B (Pic below). As I said I was able to get two different CC numbers with the Jog connected to the MF, but when I mapped it to the "Jog" in Traktor, I got movement, but not anything that was usable. The movement was either jumping all over the place, only moving in one direction or not moving at all. I tryed all the settings within Traktor also (Fader relative, Direct etc etc)

So my question is.....am I missing something here with these specific Jogs that im testing.....OR.....Is there a certain type of enless encoder I could buy (dont care about cost) that would pretty much work straight away while connected to either the Analouge or Digital Expantion ports of the Midifighter to control the Jog funtion in Traktor?
Adolf Hit
Heya dude - there is no easy way to connect an encoder of any kind to the MF, it will always require code modification.
Madlyn Trocino
OK...well I just recieved my MF PRO SUPER KNOB. I love the controller, but its kinda big. I am using it solely for Deck C manipulation.

I need a Jog for Deck C as well. I actually mapped one of the MF PRO Knobs to the Jog Wheel function in TPro2 and it worked perfectly, but the problem is that the knob is not endless. Its odd that it worked so well concidering Ive connected many different non - endless knobs from other controllers to Tpro2 and none of them would come close to working correctly. Odd that the MF PRO knob does.

I wonder if I replaced an exsisting knob on my MF Pro with a different Endless Knob, or encoder, if it would work to function as a Jog.

Anyone know if this is possible?...and if so suggest a certain type of endless knob?
Kimberly Lewark
If you don't already know how to program in C, it will probably be tough to figure out.

I was going to give you some sample code to get you started, but I realized that I really don't know what values the jogwheel provides to the midifighter and what MIDI messages Traktor expects for these, or even what interface the jogwheel uses (analog? SPI? UART? I2C?). I assume it gives you a value representing the relative movement compared to the previous time the wheel position was sampled, but you will have to check the documentation to see how that information is to be passed to the microcontroller.

Since relative values don't exactly map to an analog DC voltage too naturally, I suspect it uses a digital interface, which, unfortunately, makes it awkward.

You will have to check the documentation (datasheets, you will need to figure out the serial or model number of the jogwheel and google it) and if it happens to be SPI, let me know. If its something else then unfortunately you're out of luck, since won't be able to help you without having an encoder here to test with.
Madlyn Trocino
and how exactly would one modify it to read an encoder?
Hunter Renslow
The analogue and digital mf expansions are only gonna do buttons and faders without firmware modifications.
You'd have to modify It to read an encoder

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy