want to convert MF to MFPRO with EXACT same midi notes

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: want to convert MF to MFPRO with EXACT same midi notesReply
want to convert MF to MFPRO with EXACT same midi notes
Posted on: 07.07.2011 by Chin Thoroughgood
I want to build 2 MFPROs (one of each of the "XX Fader" and one of the "Beat Masher" types) out of my existing midifighters. I have done some research and know that it is possible for this to be done through the analog and digital expansion ports built on every MF. I would like to know how I could create them so the midi notes are the same as the MFPROs so that the new (and any future) mappings will work without much (preferably no) modification. I am a design student with access to practically every type of tool you could dream of and have unlimited free materials. I was going to put a sweet case on these (probably a nice cherry wood case ) and some extra modifications as well.

The things I want to know are:
1) What extra parts I am going to need other than obvious ones like pots, knob caps, faders, wires, buttons, and of coarse the face/back plates. I mean things that aren't seen on the new MFPROs things like multiplexers etc. (if so what kind or model number?) I know about mouser and other part stores (but links are always appreciated!)

2) How would I go about wiring such a device? As I said before I dont want to do much mapping, I would really like it if someone could post a diagram (MS paint is great, I am not looking for quality art just what connection goes where ). Has anyone popped open there MFPRO to check it out and would be willing to help? I also noticed that the new MF's and MFPROs have there expansion ports in two rows of 5, I have an older model that is one row of 10, which looks like this:
(from top to bottom)

GND
D4
D3
D2
D1
A4
A3
A2
A1
5V

I am wondering how the new ones are arranged, if anyone has a newer MF can you please let me know how they are laid out so all of the wiring is exact.

3) Do I need to run any sort of HID to MIDI programs or is all of that taken care of through the firmware of the MF PCB?

4) am I missing anything? If so PLEASE let me know!

THANKS IN ADVANCE YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
You have the MIDI map.
You have the source code.
You have the schematics.

Go for it.
found the midi map, I have no idea what connections need to be made or where (but I have a slight idea), do I just chain all buttons/pots/faders together with the 5v connection then run the other side of each button to each of their own digital port? and each pot/fader to its own analog port? I can mess around with each one to figure out its midi note but if you have a pic (or a link) of what each port (A1-A5 & D1-D5) is it would be greatly appreciated, also do I have to ground every single thing individually or do I only need to ground the pots/faders because theyre analog?
THANKS

EDIT: looked up how to wire them, (what I understand) ground goes to all connections, each digital connection goes to one of each of the digital connections and the only ones to get 5v are the analog connections, is this correct?
Chin Thoroughgood
I want to build 2 MFPROs (one of each of the "XX Fader" and one of the "Beat Masher" types) out of my existing midifighters. I have done some research and know that it is possible for this to be done through the analog and digital expansion ports built on every MF. I would like to know how I could create them so the midi notes are the same as the MFPROs so that the new (and any future) mappings will work without much (preferably no) modification. I am a design student with access to practically every type of tool you could dream of and have unlimited free materials. I was going to put a sweet case on these (probably a nice cherry wood case ) and some extra modifications as well.

The things I want to know are:
1) What extra parts I am going to need other than obvious ones like pots, knob caps, faders, wires, buttons, and of coarse the face/back plates. I mean things that aren't seen on the new MFPROs things like multiplexers etc. (if so what kind or model number?) I know about mouser and other part stores (but links are always appreciated!)

2) How would I go about wiring such a device? As I said before I dont want to do much mapping, I would really like it if someone could post a diagram (MS paint is great, I am not looking for quality art just what connection goes where ). Has anyone popped open there MFPRO to check it out and would be willing to help? I also noticed that the new MF's and MFPROs have there expansion ports in two rows of 5, I have an older model that is one row of 10, which looks like this:
(from top to bottom)

GND
D4
D3
D2
D1
A4
A3
A2
A1
5V

I am wondering how the new ones are arranged, if anyone has a newer MF can you please let me know how they are laid out so all of the wiring is exact.

3) Do I need to run any sort of HID to MIDI programs or is all of that taken care of through the firmware of the MF PCB?

4) am I missing anything? If so PLEASE let me know!

THANKS IN ADVANCE YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!
Chin Thoroughgood
Thank you very much! Now the LEDs you're reffering to getting to work, are those the existing LEDs on the MF PCB itself or the LEDs corresponding to the 4 bank selection buttons? Thanks again! I am about to order parts and start cutting acrylic .
p.s. 10k ohm 60mm slide pots, 10k ohm 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock pots right? and any button style I want essentially or is there a specific type I need to get? do they need to be 10k ohm as well or does that not matter? I know the ones on the MFPRO's light up when selected (hence the multiplexer/LED controller you mentioned) I've been digging around and found this: http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...ht=multiplexer is CD4051B the part number of the multiplexer I'd need? also do I need any specific kind of board to solder to (or at all)? (I would like to make everything as easy and hassle free as possible but definately want a full functiong MFPRO that will work "out of the box" with the new and and any future mappings. Thanks alot!
robert chanda
Depends if the LED feedback is important to you. If not, it's as simple as putting the thing together.

If you do care, it involves a multiplexer and an LED controller with the digital lines being CLOCK, LATCH, DATA and DEVICE_SELECT.

You also have to do a little reprogramming as the DATA line has to be used bidirectionally.
Chin Thoroughgood
So I don't need any multiplexers, or anything like that just some wire/pots/faders and the correct connections to get it to work exactly like the MFPRO?
Chin Thoroughgood
Originally Posted by Fatlimey
You have the MIDI map.
You have the schematics.

Go for it.
found the midi map, I have no idea what connections need to be made or where (but I have a slight idea), do I just chain all buttons/pots/faders together with the 5v connection then run the other side of each button to each of their own digital port? and each pot/fader to its own analog port? I can mess around with each one to figure out its midi note but if you have a pic (or a link) of what each port (A1-A5 & D1-D5) is it would be greatly appreciated, also do I have to ground every single thing individually or do I only need to ground the pots/faders because theyre analog?
THANKS

EDIT: looked up how to wire them, (what I understand) ground goes to all connections, each digital connection goes to one of each of the digital connections and the only ones to get 5v are the analog connections, is this correct?
robert chanda
You have the MIDI map.
You have the schematics.

Go for it.

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy