Midifighter firmware prototype release: MIDI record/playback!!

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Midifighter firmware prototype release: MIDI record/playback!!Reply
Midifighter firmware prototype release: MIDI record/playback!!
Posted on: 13.05.2011 by Kimberly Lewark
I am delighted to announce our first custom firmware release!

This is a teaser prototype release of some awesome new features myself and Sidetrakd are working on for existing Midifighter owners (ie, no hardware mods necessary!) What this custom firmware does is allow you to RECORD midi notes right on your Midifighter, allowing you to quickly create and playback loops of Midifighter effects! Credit for coming up with the concept goes to Sidetrakd.

Download hex file here.

How to use:
1. Download and extract the zip file.
2. Flash your midifighter with this custom firmware.
3. Use midifighter with your favourite midi program.
4. Press the top-right corner button to begin recording (the light will flash to let you know its recording)
Code:
 . . . # <- This button to record!
 . . . .
 . . . .
 . . . .
5. Mash some buttons to record notes
6. Press record button again to stop
7. Have fun!

It will record both button presses and releases, so if you, for example, press and hold button A, press and release button B, then release button A, it will record and play it back like that too. It also plays the buttons back with the same timing between presses as when you recorded (so you can add pauses between buttons).

NOTE: It will only record a maximum of 16 button presses OR releases (so if you press and release a button, you can record it 8 times). Also, since the top-right button is used to control recording, it cannot be used as a bank or effects button. In the future I will allow you to enable and disable it in the menu, but for now it will always be active.

Simply press record again to replace the recording with a new one and press record twice to clear the recording.

Thats it!

Remember, it is only a prototype version and as such you should expect some glitches (eg notes not recording or playing back correctly).

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. While I am certain this firmware cannot harm your midifighter, I take absolutely no responsibility for any side effects or damage it may cause.
LEGAL: I am not yet ready to release the source code, but I will send it to anybody who requests it, in compliance with the GNU General Public License.
Kimberly Lewark
Originally Posted by Brinx
What would be even more awesome is if you would be able to set the length of the recording on the fly before you hit record, sort of like the loop function.
I may look into it when I have a little more time.

I love what you guys are doing, your midifighter extreeme inspired me very much in my own build.
Got any pics? I'd love to see what you're doing.
Lakeisha Allaway
Originally Posted by guywithknife
It already uses the midi clock for timing, so it wouldn't be too too much more work to make it always record a bar.

I'm too busy to try it now, but I would be interested in trying it at some stage in the future.
What would be even more awesome is if you would be able to set the length of the recording on the fly before you hit record, sort of like the loop function.

I love what you guys are doing, your midifighter extreeme inspired me very much in my own build.
Kimberly Lewark
Fantastic concept! Would it be possible to connect the recorder with the midi clock so it always records one bar?
It already uses the midi clock for timing, so it wouldn't be too too much more work to make it always record a bar.

I'm too busy to try it now, but I would be interested in trying it at some stage in the future.
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by Ryan Leo
I am absolutely useless are reading words.

So you could do a cool gater/beatmasher combo and once you complete it will play back until you stop it.

You could run a loop, or manipulate the samples or decks while keep the effect combo the constant thing in the mix.

So instead of keeping the kick drum as the "beat" that you mix over the string of effects could act as the "beat"

This could really open your hands to get some real fine tuning in. Can't wait to see it in action.

EDIT: Or you could run some constant tones and really bust up some sick leads or bass lines. Deadly.
That's the idea behind it,to be able to record MIDI events at the touch of a button and have them play back giving you time to do other things!

Originally Posted by djproben
Will this work with existing mappings, or do you have to map everything from scratch? Very cool concept!!
Its in the firmware so your mapping can stay the same the only thing is you lose the top right button for record.You could test it with the deckalized mapping and remap the top right button.It isn't working smoothly yet though and there are bugs which were working on.you could test it for fun and the properly working version should be ready soon
Kimberly Lewark
I am delighted to announce our first custom firmware release!

This is a teaser prototype release of some awesome new features myself and Sidetrakd are working on for existing Midifighter owners (ie, no hardware mods necessary!) What this custom firmware does is allow you to RECORD midi notes right on your Midifighter, allowing you to quickly create and playback loops of Midifighter effects! Credit for coming up with the concept goes to Sidetrakd.

Download hex file here.

How to use:
1. Download and extract the zip file.
2. Flash your midifighter with this custom firmware.
3. Use midifighter with your favourite midi program.
4. Press the top-right corner button to begin recording (the light will flash to let you know its recording)
Code:
 . . . # <- This button to record!
 . . . .
 . . . .
 . . . .
5. Mash some buttons to record notes
6. Press record button again to stop
7. Have fun!

It will record both button presses and releases, so if you, for example, press and hold button A, press and release button B, then release button A, it will record and play it back like that too. It also plays the buttons back with the same timing between presses as when you recorded (so you can add pauses between buttons).

NOTE: It will only record a maximum of 16 button presses OR releases (so if you press and release a button, you can record it 8 times). Also, since the top-right button is used to control recording, it cannot be used as a bank or effects button. In the future I will allow you to enable and disable it in the menu, but for now it will always be active.

Simply press record again to replace the recording with a new one and press record twice to clear the recording.

Thats it!

Remember, it is only a prototype version and as such you should expect some glitches (eg notes not recording or playing back correctly).

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. While I am certain this firmware cannot harm your midifighter, I take absolutely no responsibility for any side effects or damage it may cause.
LEGAL: I am not yet ready to release the source code, but I will send it to anybody who requests it, in compliance with the GNU General Public License.
Lakeisha Allaway
Ok thread wont go up until im done but heres a work in progress picture =)
(crappy picture taken with my phone)
Lakeisha Allaway
Il post it in a new thread when i get home toevening . Dont wanna go to offtopic. Il edit in the link here as soon as its up!
Kimberly Lewark
I may look into it when I have a little more time.

Got any pics? I'd love to see what you're doing.
Lakeisha Allaway
Originally Posted by guywithknife

Kimberly Lewark
Fantastic concept! Would it be possible to connect the recorder with the midi clock so it always records one bar?

Lakeisha Allaway
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by Ryan Leo

So you could do a cool gater/beatmasher combo and once you complete it will play back until you stop it.

You could run a loop, or manipulate the samples or decks while keep the effect combo the constant thing in the mix.

So instead of keeping the kick drum as the "beat" that you mix over the string of effects could act as the "beat"

This could really open your hands to get some real fine tuning in. Can't wait to see it in action.

EDIT: Or you could run some constant tones and really bust up some sick leads or bass lines. Deadly.
That's the idea behind it,to be able to record MIDI events at the touch of a button and have them play back giving you time to do other things!

Originally Posted by djproben
Will this work with existing mappings, or do you have to map everything from scratch? Very cool concept!!
Its in the firmware so your mapping can stay the same the only thing is you lose the top right button for record.You could test it with the deckalized mapping and remap the top right button.It isn't working smoothly yet though and there are bugs which were working on.you could test it for fun and the properly working version should be ready soon
Danae Dumler
Hunter Renslow
We're still working on this and will try do a demo video when it is completely finished!!
Yee Bedilion

Hunter Renslow
This is only the tip of the iceberg! Some awesome stuff coming really soon!
Kimberly Lewark
At some stage over the next few days, yes. Definitely.

I have found a few glitches that I'll need to fix before people can use this for real, but it serves its function as a prototype. Eg, holding a note and pressing multiple other notes seems to only send note off midi events for the other notes (where it should send on then off). Not quite sure why yet. Will post when I fix it.
Rashida Stieb
wow this sounds great, could you post a video of it in action!?

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy