Korg padKontrol/Midi Fighter - tsi/scene set

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Korg padKontrol/Midi Fighter - tsi/scene setReply
Korg padKontrol/Midi Fighter - tsi/scene set
Posted on: 21.04.2010 by Johnie Lytton
I'm not sure if something like this exists already on the community , but I'll post this anyway in the hopes that somebody might find it useful. Good news for those of us who own a padKontrol and would like the functionality of a midi fighter.

You can modify the note values of your padkontrol with the padKontrol editor librarian software, which is available on the korg website.

Just change each note value accordingly..

C3 C#3 D3 D#3
G#2 A2 A#2 B2
E2 F2 F#2 G2
C2 C#2 D2 D#2

With the editor librarian, you can still keep any other preset note values you currently have for other software on your computer. Just add these values to another scene set within the program. You can have up to 16 scene sets total.

Make sure that each of these note values are on midi channel 3. The reason for this is that you can import the actual midi fighter tsi into traktor for the padkontrol. The original tsi file for the midi fighter uses the above note values all on midi channel 3. (I found out the hard way!)

So now, you have to import the latest midi fighter tsi into traktor, available at none other that DJTT. After the import, change your In-Port and Out-Ports to padKontrol 1 MIDI IN, and padKontrol 1 MIDI OUT respectively.

If you have done everything correctly, your padKontrol should function just as a midi fighter would. You can also modify the tsi to incorporate the kaoss pads X Y feature, as well as the two upper knobs, and a foot switch.

I have attached my editor librarian scene set for this mapping in this post. I am also working on a tutorial on how to change FX presets 1 thru 4 on a VCI 100 SE to whatever effects chain you would like.
Kandis Smollen
Originally Posted by olliej1982
Bump! really want a mapping for the padKontrol now that traktor 2 is out, would be great to have it controlling the sample decks
i agree! can someone please hook this up?!?!
Corey Maronski
ok everything works im using the instant grad. mf mapping and i have the two knobs set to key value and a filter so how do i map the xy pad it wont show up wen i click the learn button in controller manger

p.s. and for people that dont know wen using mf mappings you have to make sure your on ch.3 in padKONTROL Editor Librarian and on the padKONTROL as well....just a tip...
Kandis Smollen
Originally Posted by olliej1982
Bump! really want a mapping for the padKontrol now that traktor 2 is out, would be great to have it controlling the sample decks
i agree! can someone please hook this up?!?!
Corrinne Keadle
Janina Ramundo
I have installed farmpad and installed the tsi earlier mentioned and played around with the settings constantly. I still dont have to way to switch decks that im effecting. Please help me I will honestly be happy to pay someone who creates a successful korg pad kontrol map
Janina Ramundo
everything on my pad kontrol works perfect except I cant route FX. anyone know how? much appreciated
Naoma Rohlik
Dudes.... can someone just upload the TSI to make my padkontrol work like a midi fighter on the instant gratification tsi please....!
Anisa Fourte
Bomes would be easier as it's got a GUI, but yeah, it's not free, and not cheap... Honestly I just found Farmpad after having my PK in an old record crate for at least a year now as I was planning on using it for T2 Sample decks. Then I decided why not figure out getting MidiFighter style stuff going on while I wait, and now I find this. Excellent!

Though it's been a while I used to work with my PK a good bit. And dros - to properly setup the PK to behave like the MidiFighter you would either need to go through Native mode on the PK, which is a pain and might not even properly do it, or a program like Farmpad or Bomes.

I've been researching Farmpad for the past hour, as I never had that when I used my PK. My lord it seems like a wonderful thing once you get past the text only input learning curve. Expect me to be adding some more input, support, and mappings on this soon!
Johnie Lytton
I would just use farmpad. That's what I'm currently using and I pretty much have the exact midi fighter capabilities with my own few changes. I have yet to download the new mapping, but I will eventually. With farmpad, you can set each pad to be a scene select, which by what you are describing, is what you need to do.

Does everything else work? You will have to do a little "programming" though in a text file but it's really simple stuff after a few minutes of going through the samples included in the program. I *believe* the scene select function of the midi fighter is somewhere in the firmware..therefor you will probably have to utilize farmpad or bomes to get what you want. I hear bomes is better, but it's not free.
Dj Tykarma
For now I just want to make the padKontrol behave like a Midi-Fighter. I don't use farmpad for the moment. Or should I ?

I used the ports you indicated me and have set the different buttons to send to channel 3. Now it looks like the latest "instant gratification mapping" kind of works but only in one deck.

The top four buttons should normally let me choose the deck affected to the FX, but instead it triggers a Gater FX and FX units are affected quite randomly as I touch the different buttons.
Johnie Lytton
Yeah, I've been believeing about doing the same.

Anyhow, you can create multiple pages or scenes within the farmpad txt file...assuming of course that you're on a mac. Just read the example files and you will see it's not too hard to do. Not sure with bomes.
As for ports, it will be PORT A for input, and MIDI OUT for output.
Dj Tykarma
Hi,

Thank you for this info on how to use padKontrol as a Midi Fighter, I'm looking to do the same thing since I saw the last "instant gratification FX mapping" for the midi-fighter which I like very much.

Two questions :
- How to reflect on the padKontrol the requirement of a 4 bank layout mode which is mentioned on the mappings page for the latest Midi-Fighter mapping ?
- I have the following input and output ports and I'm not sure which ones I should choose on Traktor Pro :
Input : PadKontrol (MIDI IN) / PadKontrol (PORT A) / PadKontrol (PORT B)
Output : PadKontrol (MIDI OUT) / PadKontrol (CTRL)

Thanks in advance.
Yee Bedilion
Just a thought.

I'm not working on this right now because I have 2 midi fighters atm.

Anyway, when you use farmpad, you gain access to all the button on the padkontrol. Maybe you could send output to the parameter buttons to light up in a specfic sequence to signify what mod they are in for beat juggle mode, etc.
Claris Krausz
Hi Guys, Loving the post.
I have a midi fighter and padkontrol and I'm trying to set up a deckalized set up as shown on DJTT. padkantrol works great apart from the led's staying lit. this is a really important to know where you are in the mix etc.
has anyone got any further with farmpad yet???
Buster Kiper
Sweet I got a PadKontrol on the way. Can't wait to roll up my sleeves and and get to work on it.
Buster Kiper
Has anyone been able to sort out the modifier problem yet?
Yee Bedilion
I tried to hunt down this answer for a while and as far as I know I dont believe its possible to keep them lit due to the way its designed.

Im fairly certain to keep the light on the switch must be made a toggle rather than a trigger which wouldnt allow the .tsi mapping work correctly.

I was believeing with farmpad maybe you could use the led screen or maybe map another one of the buttons on the padkontrol to light up when the modifers are active. Just a thought. You'd have to look into it, I ended up just getting a couple midi fighters after playing with the preset.

Good luck

Pork
Esteban Hashbarger
well, i have this working now. also as i am new to the deckalized, not sure it is working 100% but that is probably because i am new to it. basic functions seem to work fine.

one thing. the lights on the pads are not staying on like the midi-fighter. is there a way to enable that? do i need to use farmpad and is there any configuration needed to get that all going?
Yee Bedilion
If you have it plugged in and not running on farmpad all you need to do is:

1.Press the settings button (it should light up or something)

2. Press the first pad

3. Press the midi channel button

4. Roll the encoder til the channel you want comes up

5.Continue for other 15 buttons.

6.You can also change what note each pad represents by hitting the note value button down next to the midi channel button.

That should help you out.

Pork
Sherie Sucato
How do I set my padkontrol to broadcast signals on channel 3?
Jami Krampe
Have a new padKontrol since today and i was able to do everything in the first post, now i have the same problems
Dora Koltz
@bastimret

"once you've pressed the first effect button, and then press the second one at the same time, it ends up setting M1 back to 0 for some reason, so the upper buttons end up performing their standard play/pause/sync function instead of modulating the effect parameters."

Have u figured out how to get this working correctly? When I hold down both effects buttons i can't modulate the effect parameters either.
Dora Koltz
this is pretty rad!
Bernard Lopane
Just checked the video again and your right.

For some reason I thought it moved the pitch slider

Btw, I setup a button on my Nocturn to act as a shift so I could load tracks to decks C and D using the 2 buttons I had set to load to decks A and B.
Not much of an achievement in itself but now I've got my head around the concept, I should be able to come up with some much better mappings.
So again, thanks for the help, the time you spent typing wasn't wasted on deaf ears

If only ableton added this type of midi mapping to live. Modifiers are one thing, but learning python scripting ??
Ocie Naea
I thought that's what the tempo bend was supposed to do. It's just a small nudge in the tempo to sync things up, it's not a full on pitch shift using the slider. Or am I wrong . . . ? I'll double check.
Bernard Lopane
Ok, the leds are working, I just can't get them to stay on.

Looking through the community , MidiFighter owners had the same problem until updating their firmware but obviously that won't help with a PadKontrol.

Also, Have you managed to get the tempo bend function to work?
While the deck is stopped, I can move about the track ok but while playing it only seems to jump the pitch up or down by 6.3%
Ocie Naea
Originally Posted by padda
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, now I understand it

I'll have a play around and see if I can get it to work.

I had to mess around to get the echo button behaving properly and I've got the Play button to flash with the tempo but cant seem to get the pads to light up like the leds on the midifighter do. you got any ideas on how to do that??
I do not. I'm working with a Akai MPD24, no led's. Sorry.
Bernard Lopane
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, now I understand it

I'll have a play around and see if I can get it to work.

I had to mess around to get the echo button behaving properly and I've got the Play button to flash with the tempo but cant seem to get the pads to light up like the leds on the midifighter do. you got any ideas on how to do that??

I can make the echo pad for example light when i mouse click on the echo fx on switch but it only flashes for a moment,not for the duration the effect is on
Ocie Naea
Thanks for putting your findings here,
hopefully we can overcome this last issue and get it working 100%.

Unfortunately, the modifiers go straight over my head at the moment

Whats the chances of Ean Golden reading this and doing us a favour??
The modifiers are simply integer holders. On any mapping that you setup, you can choose to set an integer value to a modifier, such as M1. So if you create a mapping to set an Echo effect when pad 1 is held, you can also set M1=1 (default for all modifiers when not active is 0).

Now, whenever you press the pad to trigger the Echo effect, you will also set Modifier 1=1. By itself, this does nothing. However, you can now use this modifier to trigger a different effect on a pad/knob/etc that is normally assigned a different task.

Example, Pad 2 is mapped so that normally (when no modifiers are active) it drops a hotcue. But, you can now setup a second mapping for Pad 2 to have it alter the parameters of the Echo effect when you are holding Pad 1 because of the Modifier 1.

So, when you setup the second mapping for Pad 2 to adjust the echo parameters, you will set a trigger of M1=1. So now when you hit Pad 2 M1 must = 1 to trigger the parameter change. If M1 does not = 1, then when you hit Pad 2 it will simply drop the hotcue.

But, if you are holding down Pad 1 to trigger the Echo, the you are actively setting M1=1, so when you then press Pad 2 at the same time, it will trigger the parameter change instead of the hotcue.

This is what the top row of buttons in Midifighter mapping should be doing when the two lower effects pads are pressed, and it does it correctly as long as you are pressing only one pad at a time. However, once you've pressed the first effect button, and then press the second one at the same time, it ends up setting M1 back to 0 for some reason, so the upper buttons end up performing their standard play/pause/sync function instead of modulating the effect parameters.
Bernard Lopane
Thanks for putting your findings here,
hopefully we can overcome this last issue and get it working 100%.

Unfortunately, the modifiers go straight over my head at the moment

Whats the chances of Ean Golden reading this and doing us a favour??
Ocie Naea
Ok, I found out what's going on. Watching the modifier vaules at the top of the controller mapping screen, I can see that when I press the note A2 pad, it triggers the beatmasher effect and also sets the M1 value = 1. Same thing happens when I press the A#2 pad, turns on the filter and sets M1 value = 1. The thing to note here is that for the upper row of buttons to act as effects level modulators instead of play/pause/sync, M1 must = 1.

So the issue is that once one of the effects buttons is pressed and held (A2 or A#2), the moment you press the other one, the M1 value is set back to 0. The entry that's causing it to happen is the Global one that when M1 = 1 and you press the A#2 (or A2) pad, it uses Type = Button/Interact=Dec/Invert. Since M1 = 1 when the first button is pressed, when you press the second one, this line is causing M1 to = 0. When I clear out the button mapping for that entry, then I can press both buttons and M1 stays = 1.

Only problem is that it then stays = 1. I haven't found a way yet to trigger the M1 = 1 upon either pad (A2 or A#2) press, go back to 0 upon letting go of the pad, but stay = 1 if the second pad is pressed at the same time (and stay = 1 when the second pad is released). Anyone got any ideas?

Ok, reading back through that it sounds kinda conufusing. Here's a breakdown:

What it should do: Press and hold note A2, set M1=1. Press A#2, M1 stays=1. Release A#2, M1=1. Release A2, set M1=0.

What it does currently: Press and hold note A2, set M1=1. Press A#2, sets M1=0. This prevents me from pressing both buttons and then modulating the efx amounts with the upper row of pads.

I don't understand how Ean was able to trigger both efx buttons in his demo video and then use the upper row of buttons with the way the 1.1 mapping is setup.
Ocie Naea
I've loaded it ok but having a couple problems;

The "echo" button doesnt map to the fx like the mash and filter buttons do
The record button doesnt seem to do anything
Cant push 2 fx and change settings (top row) at the same time without pausing/syncing

I've used your padkontrol template, the 1.1 midifighter tsi and traktor 1.24
any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks
I was having the same problems with the echo and record not working. Found out it was because I only had effects units 1 & 2 active in my settings panel. Turning on all 4 effects banks got it working properly. You can do this under Effects in the settings panel.

There was one other issue I noticed after that. Instead of activating a delay effect when you hit the echo button, it triggered a flanger instead. It was quick to hop into the mapping and switch it over to a Delay. Head into the controller manager in the Settings panel, and select the midi_fighter mapping from the dropdown list at the top. Then scroll down through all the mappings until you see one for Ch03.Note.B2. Select it, then scroll down till you see a two groups of entries that are highlighted in orange (when you selected the first Ch03.Note.B2 entry, it also selected all other entries mapped to the same note). Click on the Effect Select entry to bring it up, and at the bottom of the window change Flanger Flux to Delay.

Now, I am still having the third issue you mentioned, and cannot figure out how to get past it. Watching Ean's tutorial, I should be able to activate the masher and filter together and the modulate their setting by hitting a third button from the top row. This works fine if I'm activating the masher or filter by themselves and then hit a top row button (two buttons pressed at once), but if I press both masher and filter pads together and then try to hit a third pad from the top row, it ends up performing that pads original function (pause, play, sync, etc). Is this a limitation of my unit (AKAI MPD24) or is something setup wrong?
Bernard Lopane
I'd just like to get the MF functionality for now as I'm new to traktor mapping and finding things a bit complicated

thanks
Johnie Lytton
I changed all of the FX on the padFighter right off the bat so I'm not sure. What is it that you are trying to do? Maybe I can help help you out..

Are you just trying to get full MF functionality out of the pF? Or would you like to customize those buttons that aren't working currently, to do something else ?
Bernard Lopane
I've loaded it ok but having a couple problems;

The "echo" button doesnt map to the fx like the mash and filter buttons do
The record button doesnt seem to do anything
Cant push 2 fx and change settings (top row) at the same time without pausing/syncing

I've used your padkontrol template, the 1.1 midifighter tsi and traktor 1.24
any ideas on what I'm doing wrong??

Thanks
Esteban Hashbarger
really cool, will have to try this out!!! was wondering how i was going to get MF / Maschine functionality in Traktor with that PK gathering dust on my shelf!!! still want a MF tho!!!
Johnie Lytton
Your Omni Control? It shouldn't have modified any other controllers if you've carefully followed the directions. Either way, I am glad you found this helpful and that you now have it working now!
Dalila Baldridge
just had to upgrade traktor and now im well away...simple really
Dalila Baldridge
i did everything you said but it didnt work for me at all, all it did was alter the mapping on my omni control....when i tap a pad i see a light coming on in tractor in the midi icon at the top of the screen but nothing is triggered...im doing something wrong but im damned if i know what...

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy