This Is Not The Next Midifighter - Official Thread

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: This Is Not The Next Midifighter - Official ThreadReply
This Is Not The Next Midifighter - Official Thread
Posted on: 18.04.2013 by Latoria Kavulich

Please read the Blog Post Here for more information and rules.

Lets see your designs folks !
Anna Elayyan
This has been a really fun competition - so many great designs and ideas!!
very inspirational. Truly honoured to have been selected as a finalist for this

Michael was kind enough to export a fresh render of the SEQFREQ with some changes I made in response to some of the comments.

see link here: http://www.djranking s.com/2013/05/0...ment-891651835

happy SEQFREQ is happy.
original.jpg
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by jdownesbaird
What's the appeal of the mini 2 or 4 deck controllers? Can't you buy cheap, ultra-portable units like that right now? In fact, I had a super-small Hercules 2 deck mixer (my first controller) about 6 years ago that did exactly what some of the winning entries claim to do (and I'm sure it was under $100). Honestly, how are these different?
I don't get it either.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Patch
I thought the all-encoders was a great idea. I nearly entered it myself.

I'd live to see a set of modular MF's. We've got the all arcade buttons version - I'd love to see an all faders, all encoders version and an all neavigation/control version.
Now that's what I'm talking about.

What's the appeal of the mini 2 or 4 deck controllers? Can't you buy cheap, ultra-portable units like that right now? In fact, I had a super-small Hercules 2 deck mixer (my first controller) about 6 years ago that did exactly what some of the winning entries claim to do (and I'm sure it was under $100). Honestly, how are these different?
Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Jester
I hadn't noticed *whistle*
You saving No. 10,000 for a special post?
Olimpia Briden
Making A midifighter with hardware in/out ports might be a useful addition, I know I'm a bit late to this party but something I've been believeing about is how to parse the midi out from a midifighter through something else that can mangle the midi info, or being able to string a handful of midi fighters together without the need for a 7 port, 3amp hub.
Latoria Kavulich
not sure about that idea myself. for most people the midifighter is a supplemental controller, cool thought though
Samuel Stamaria
side note idea: what if one of them had a generic tiny soundcard (believe z1) ??
Mira Sabia
Getting really excited for this; it's going to make Ableton (or any DAW for that matter) 10x more fun. A couple pictures of the hardware also showed up on Ean's instagram a few weeks ago so looks like it's getting closer.

Latoria Kavulich
Knobtastic!
Kellie Myrum
Saw this on facebook today

Which state is this project at? Coming soon?
Anna Elayyan
This has been a really fun competition - so many great designs and ideas!!
very inspirational. Truly honoured to have been selected as a finalist for this

Michael was kind enough to export a fresh render of the SEQFREQ with some changes I made in response to some of the comments.

see link here: http://www.djranking s.com/2013/05/0...ment-891651835

happy SEQFREQ is happy.
original.jpg
Ervin Calvery
I don't get it either.
Delena Katherman
Originally Posted by Patch

I'd live to see a set of modular MF's. We've got the all arcade buttons version - I'd love to see an all faders, all encoders version and an all neavigation/control version.
Now that's what I'm talking about.

Kristofer Krauel
Originally Posted by Jester
You saving No. 10,000 for a special post?
Brunilda Kora

Latoria Kavulich
Kellie Myrum
Jester, so close to 10k posts dude
Latoria Kavulich

My pick of the bunch.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by oliosky
Like a bcr2000 but updated with a better feel.
The BCR is pretty powerful. It's cheap, too.

Originally Posted by oliosky
Touchstrips can get fucked.
a-greed.

It seems like everyone loves the idea of a mini 2 or 4 deck mixer.
I don't. I picked up a portable turntable for digging, but that's whack.
Delena Katherman
Yeah, I like the "all encoders" entry the best!
Johnetta Olewine
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Some of the winning designs were kinda pathetic IMO.

All encoders???
I can see a use for an all encoder box. Especially push encoders. Like a bcr2000 but updated with a better feel.

Touchstrips can get fucked.
Delena Katherman
It seems like everyone loves the idea of a mini 2 or 4 deck mixer. However, there are so many budget (and full-featured) mixers out there, and many people already have an S2/S4, DDJ-SX, X1, etc. (and thus no need to purchase another small mixer unless it was for portability). The beauty of the MIDI Fighter series is that they can be added to pretty much any setup and still add significant functionality. It was all about creative expression and performance (in my opinion). While these submissions are great, the deck control entries don't seem consistent with the Midi Fighter brand. They are just USEFUL and CONVENIENT, which is fine. But, they don't really seem fun and exciting, or something you could play like an instrument. I much prefer the choices with lots of buttons or knobs that everyone can find a use for.
Kellie Myrum
What's your entries?
Gaynell Rydberg
Some of the winning designs were kinda pathetic IMO.

All encoders???
Ervin Calvery
Who wants to take bets as to what designs won?
Vannesa Pieschke
Hi everybody! My name is Jaime and I'm from Madrid, Spain. I've been reading the community for a long time, but this is my first post here. I just want to show you my entry for the contest, so you can let me know what you believe!
Thank you very much!

It's called the MIDI FIGHTER VERSUS.

The VERSUS is designed to be the brain of a whole new modular midi fighter setup. It can work with one or two midi fighters (spectra/3d/classic) depending on what you need in
different moments.

The VERSUS is a 4 deck mixer mainly designed for Traktor with a brand new great feature: you can change "on the fly" the mapping active in each module. For example, if you are performing with a VERSUS and 2 SPECTRA/3D, you can set the DECKALIZED mapping to both modules connected to the VERSUS so you can easily control two track decks. Then, with the 2 encoders and 4 buttons at the top, you can change "on the fly" the functions assigned to each module, for example, set the REMIX DECKS mapping to module 1 and DECKASHARED mapping (new mapping created by me
based on the DECKALIZED mapping which allows controlling 2 decks simultaneously) to module 2, or even the INSTANT GRATIFICATION mapping in case you want to focus on effects.

The VERSUS has 2 touch stripes and 8 endless potentiometers with LED feedback. It also has
two toggle switches to change between decks A and C, and B and D. Instead of using regular faders, I've chosen the touch stripes because with only 2 of them it's easy to control
4 decks. The same reason made me choose 8 endless potentiometers with LED feedback, which allow equalizing, filtering and adding effects on the 4 decks.

I believe it's easier to understand how it works with the following pictures.

Klara Kinnebrew
The midi fighter max that was posted today is pretty much my dream controller for compact mixing. If I could have all the basic functions of a mixer in the MF format that was daisy chainable, I would be in heaven. Midi fighter max with a spectra on each side. soo many possibilities in that compact form factor. Wish I had a facebook so I could vote on it...
Adolf Hit
those are some awesome designs guys!
Latoria Kavulich
AKA the MF-80
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I couldn't resist...

This is a combination of two of the controller's I made, but offers a better workflow in a D.A.W. than the previous two combined.

It is laid out as a sequencer, clip launcher and a controller for effects/synths.

I took a bit of artistic merit in adding LCD screens above the endless led knobs, but this makes the controller much more versatile as the user gets instant feedback of what the knob they are turning does, this means the shifts to change from the most used effects "eq, compressor, reverb, delay etc.." can have quick launch buttons so the user can easily change the sound of the currently selected pattern.

The sequencer has the ability to change the focus so you can get that early snare in minimal, and buttons to move forward and backward so you can see everything at the closest zoom.

Choosing patters remain as before with the endless encoder with the lcd feedback, but now you can press the blue shift button to quickly change patterns on the fly.

There is a clip launcher that retained the ability to change the x and y axis but now offers the ability to change the volume knobs into effect sends for ease of use.

by my count it should be able to fit everything with midi
16*16= 512 messages for sequencer
16*16= 512 messages for clip launcher
8*6*16 = 768 messages for knobs
18 for extra buttons
2048 - 1810 =

This thing would be awesome for every stage of production of techno from initial creation, to mastering to live performance with ableton live

midiCreatorAndrewFountainSynthet1c.jpg
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
Cheers Pat! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I tried to make a dj effect one first but everything i tried looked tacky on screen. Decided to go with controllers I would actually want to use for production.. But I believe it's the pink and black that makes them look cooler than they actually are
Brunilda Kora
Daaaamn, synthet1c! Those designs are awesome...
Kellie Myrum
This Traktor unit is divided in to two sections (one mixer channel and deck transport) that are both supported with individual deck focus mapping which gives you ability to control any of four decks at each side of the unit. This means you could have all your basic mixing and matching controls over one deck or to focus your deck of the choice to both of control types. It's quite flexible.

-Shift button that doubles the layer in both of focuses
-3 band EQ with filter/gain (holding Shift displays current line fader position at the bottom encoder LED ring for the soft takeover)
-6 hotcues (Shift delete)

This controller could be support deck in any digital DJ setup.

Lillia Datson
Im liking the mixer orientated designs the most.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
here is my entry's

MidiFighterLauncher-AndrewFountianSynthet1c.jpgMidiFighterPlaya-AndrewFountianSynthet1c.jpg
Anh Pagliuco
Originally Posted by botstein
I lost you there.
I PM'ed you... I don't wanna get off topic by talking too much geek in this thread.
Ervin Calvery
Originally Posted by scattrrbrain
...modify the wave format...
I lost you there.

...only thing I would add to the LNCHBOX would be the actual built-in analog patches directly into the controller which would receive signal from and back out in midi format.

The current technology behind this sort-of midi/analog Frankenstein tool are very possible, but unheard of at this point. That in itself makes it unique, my friend.
I wouldn't say it's "unheard of." Are you familiar with illucia? ?

Also, I've been beta testing the QuNexus for a few weeks now, and I really enjoy the CV-to-MIDI and MIDI-to-CV features with big Serge synths and Max/MSP and Reaktor.

There's a good amount of this stuff coming. Props for a design that eschews mixers and transport controls, though.
Anh Pagliuco
Originally Posted by botstein
That's neat. It's nice to see designs that aren't transport controls or mixers or X1s.

Why the MIDI Fighter logo as opposed to another LFO or part of the panel?
Because, it's cool. But not only that, because it's functionality wouldn't call for another LFO, or anything else for that matter. The design was based around the old school lunchbox synths where simplicity is key. Most people don't realize with just a COUPLE of the controls up there you can TRUELY modify the wave shape, versus distorting it with too much complexity.

Call me OCD, but really the only thing I would add to the LNCHBOX would be the actual built-in analog patches directly into the controller which would receive signal from and back out in midi format.

The current technology behind this sort-of midi/analog Frankenstein tool are very possible, but unheard of at this point. That in itself makes it unique, my friend.
Ervin Calvery

That's neat. It's nice to see designs that aren't transport controls or mixers or X1s.

Why the MIDI Fighter logo as opposed to another LFO or part of the panel?
Anh Pagliuco

Hey DJ TechTools! I've been a long time fan of what you guys do and felt like I'd contribute to this project, seeing as how I'm a kind-of midi freak.
This is the Midi Fighter DeLux:
I tried to make the design pretty clear, but still obviously clean and usable. I labeled the channels for reference and added sendFX toggle buttons, which are located above the crossfader.
Both X and Y channels receive as many of the FX sends as needed (for a more flexible design) and with a little bit of trickery I'm sure anyone could use MIDI macros to add up to as many sends as you would need per channel.
I also took the liberty to show the signal flow with my silkscreening which would help new users to remind themselves about the channel paths.
I REALLY hope all you guys like this one, because I REALLY want a shiny new toy to make tracks with!
Cheers.
Scattrrbrain.
www.scattrrbrain.com

Hello again DJ TechTools! Due to the good response of the last controller I made and some thoughts over the evening about my other love, analog, I decided to make a FX controller.

This is the Midi Fighter LNCHBOX:

Here's an example simulation of what the project might look like with a physical controller:
http://youtu.be/mXrRrkqKauw

It acts as a MIDI FX controller with some of the very familiar ideas of lunchbox synths of our day. I'll do a bit more explaining on the functionality on this, since its rather specific.

You would send up to as many channels as needed to the two onboard MIDI FX returns, where the sound would then be modulated using the functions on the right side of the unit. Since it is a Midi FIGHTER, I uncluded two "hold" buttons with send volumes above them for interesting sequencing. The functions on the right include the basics: a Filter with dynamic waveform parameters and an LFO insert, a switchable LFO with rate potentiometer, and last but not least, a full volume envelope for truly dialing in that sendFX.

So anyway, you can imagine some of the INSANE sounds you could pull just by simply routing a, say, bass line through this puppy.

Have fun as always!

Scattrrbrain
www.scattrrbrain.com

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy