Deckadance Traktor S4 mapping

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Deckadance Traktor S4 mappingReply
Deckadance Traktor S4 mapping
Posted on: 21.04.2013 by Kecia Wnukowski
I'm currently testing Deckadance and wanted to start to map the S4 for the software.
So here's some thoughts, some guidelines, some questions and requests for help. Please add your own.
I'm quite versed in mapping but as it's a new software for me, my questions would probably seem noobish, mainly because I'm so accustomed to Traktor that some stuff I thought was so obvious, I encountered some surprises.

You need to set up the s4 in midi mode (shift+browse button), open the controller editor (the external program that allows you to set in midi mode the messages from the s4).
In Deckadance, open the preferences, after routing the audio, go to remote midi control, set the S4's midi inputs/outputs ON. Open the Midi mapping editor.
You have a fixed list of commands, double click on a command, it selects the command itself and the learn function, move a physical control on the s4, it's mapped.
All seems fine....

Now the issues I've already met:

*There's no modifier(s) system....wow, one command, one control needed. It means no shift ?????
Your controller better have a way by itself for a shift button to change its messages. Hopefully that's the case on the s4 as the deck layers, and shift buttons do that. But on the deck commands only. It means, not on the fx controls, not on the mixer section (that includes the browse button and that's a pain in the a..).

An example: on the s4 you use the fx assign buttons to assign the crossfader's sides to each deck by pressing shift. That won't be possible here (as engaging shift on the s4 doesn't change the midi messages on those buttons).

* Most of the midi messages on the s4 using the controller editor would have to be set up either as note changes or notes, and changed from toggle to 'trigger' or 'gate'. Some control on the s4 don't have a midi message like the snap, master and quant buttons, you won't be able to use them.

* the preferences window in deckadance isn't very friendly: if it's open you can't click on the main window of the software that's very irritating.

* you can't duplicate functions and create macros. It's becoming boring already...
That said some of the macro can be created using the smart knobs and gross beat editor inside deckadance. But it really limits your possibilities elsewhere.
Likewise, the options for a single command are just non existent. Example you have a command to choose a fx from a list, but you cant' choose directly a Fx. Dumb or dumb? Or maybe I am?

* my main issue so far, the led outputs. Either I'm an idiot - which is a strong possibility - either I didn't find a way to have the right led feedback, rending the s4 useless as a controller for deckadance.

As a side note, the midi information in the deckadance's manual is very limited and I've read it. I know the s4 isn't natively supported but natively supported means the controller is already mapped for functions. Here I'm using the s4 as a generic midi controller so I don't understand the issues I met (for the led output for example). I also understand that version is new and would be developed over time but still.

So if you have any insight to share, tips or information I missed here, they would be more than welcomed.
Help

ps: I've stopped here as I'm becoming frustrated, the software brings some really cool features no other has but is really limited on the other hand. Grrrr.
Kecia Wnukowski
I'm currently testing Deckadance and wanted to start to map the S4 for the software.
So here's some thoughts, some guidelines, some questions and requests for help. Please add your own.
I'm quite versed in mapping but as it's a new software for me, my questions would probably seem noobish, mainly because I'm so accustomed to Traktor that some stuff I thought was so obvious, I encountered some surprises.

You need to set up the s4 in midi mode (shift+browse button), open the controller editor (the external program that allows you to set in midi mode the messages from the s4).
In Deckadance, open the preferences, after routing the audio, go to remote midi control, set the S4's midi inputs/outputs ON. Open the Midi mapping editor.
You have a fixed list of commands, double click on a command, it selects the command itself and the learn function, move a physical control on the s4, it's mapped.
All seems fine....

Now the issues I've already met:

*There's no modifier(s) system....wow, one command, one control needed. It means no shift ?????
Your controller better have a way by itself for a shift button to change its messages. Hopefully that's the case on the s4 as the deck layers, and shift buttons do that. But on the deck commands only. It means, not on the fx controls, not on the mixer section (that includes the browse button and that's a pain in the a..).

An example: on the s4 you use the fx assign buttons to assign the crossfader's sides to each deck by pressing shift. That won't be possible here (as engaging shift on the s4 doesn't change the midi messages on those buttons).

* Most of the midi messages on the s4 using the controller editor would have to be set up either as note changes or notes, and changed from toggle to 'trigger' or 'gate'. Some control on the s4 don't have a midi message like the snap, master and quant buttons, you won't be able to use them.

* the preferences window in deckadance isn't very friendly: if it's open you can't click on the main window of the software that's very irritating.

* you can't duplicate functions and create macros. It's becoming boring already...
That said some of the macro can be created using the smart knobs and gross beat editor inside deckadance. But it really limits your possibilities elsewhere.
Likewise, the options for a single command are just non existent. Example you have a command to choose a fx from a list, but you cant' choose directly a Fx. Dumb or dumb? Or maybe I am?

* my main issue so far, the led outputs. Either I'm an idiot - which is a strong possibility - either I didn't find a way to have the right led feedback, rending the s4 useless as a controller for deckadance.

As a side note, the midi information in the deckadance's manual is very limited and I've read it. I know the s4 isn't natively supported but natively supported means the controller is already mapped for functions. Here I'm using the s4 as a generic midi controller so I don't understand the issues I met (for the led output for example). I also understand that version is new and would be developed over time but still.

So if you have any insight to share, tips or information I missed here, they would be more than welcomed.
Help

ps: I've stopped here as I'm becoming frustrated, the software brings some really cool features no other has but is really limited on the other hand. Grrrr.
Kellie Myrum
Hey Yul,

I have a demo version of DD2 and I'm about to check that LED functionality you're missing. Will report back if I have any luck..

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy