Mapping Kontrol s4 chained effects to FX knobs instead of jog wheels

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Mapping Kontrol s4 chained effects to FX knobs instead of jog wheelsReply
Mapping Kontrol s4 chained effects to FX knobs instead of jog wheels
Posted on: 12.06.2013 by Laurel Waida
I am starting this thread in search of fellow mappers who can help contribute to this slightly complex set of mapping instructions. Instead of mapping the effects to the job wheel for aesthetic purposes, i would prefer to map chained effects to the FX knobs on each side of the controller. I feel this is a lot more realistic when Djing in bigger venues due to the use of CDJ's. The jog wheel effect is very fun to play with, but it also makes you play very different when practicing or playing at smaller venues as opposed to entering a big club that requires the use of there cdjs. My goal is to have each FX1 and FX2 buttons load a set of three effects. They then can be manipulated via the knob above the button. That Knob would also incorporate all three loaded effects and the dry/wet knob. That would leave a total of 3 " super effects" for each deck, nice and easily on there side of the Kontrol all loaded with preset parameters with the press of the button underneath. The mode button on the Kontrol s4 on FX1 and FX2 i am planning to leave for a freeze effect. Anyone who can help with this mapping please reach out, i so far have a ruff sketch to this mapping. Thanks everyone, hopefully we can create an awesome new mapping for everyone to use.
Laurel Waida
Originally Posted by 0Notice
+1 And since your working off of my Jog Fx let me know if you want the pararameters for any of the FX.
Hey 0Notice thanks for pitching in. You and Stewe seem to be the most knowledgeable about mapping based on your thread that i read through titled Ultimate effects. I so far have three super effects per side on each FX knob on the s4. So three super effects on for deck A and C. And three for B and D on each corresponding side of the kontrol S4. Also mapped the ability to switch to FX3 and FX4 using the FX switch buttons underneath the gain knobs. Is there a way to have more than three effects set per FXunit? Say like have 6 super effects under the FX1 category? And if so how would i go about setting this up on the system i have going for type of setup. Thanks again 0Notice you guys are awesome. I had actually stood up last evening reading the thread you created about the effects to get some ideas to fill up my "super effects". I have some implemented but still need to tweak them and possibly change a few
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Stewe
Hey mate,

Glad to see you're on track.

I believe I see what is going on there Your knobs are turning all three parameters at once in both FX unit modes - that's normal behavior and cool for some simple FX mappings. What you should do is to look under modifier conditions and select 'FX UNIT'. From there you can assign your parameters to play ether in group or single FX mode.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know.
+1 And since your working off of my Jog Fx let me know if you want the pararameters for any of the FX.
Laurel Waida
Hey mate,

I believe I see what is going on there Your knobs are turning all three parameters at once in both FX unit modes - that's normal behavior and cool for some simple FX mappings. What you should do is to look under modifier conditions and select 'FX UNIT'. From there you can assign your parameters to play ether in group or single FX mode.

Here is the tsi
Laurel Waida
Hey mate,

Hey Stewe thanks again for your response. The funny thing is i am very new to mapping and the use of modifiers. Do you believe i can send you my tsi file and have you take a quick look at it to tell me where i am going wrong? I do not expect nor want you to tweak it for me as i would like to do it myself so that i can learn. But a shove in the right direction will definitely get me on my feet. I so far have it exactly where i want it with the effects etc. My one problem is that i have set the FX mode button on the S4 to be a echo freeze effect. It works great, except for one "mishap". I have set the ability to change between FX1 and FX3 on the buttons underneath the gain knobs on the S4. When i press to change to FX3 and off FX1 or vise versa FX4 and off FX2 when i am done using those effects, if i forget to turn off the effect, when i go to use the echo freeze, it will not work. Now i can see what is happening and why this is the case, i just do not know how to correct it. I'd hate to while performing forget that i didn't "undress" the effect and not have my echo work on cue. I am going to try the modifier thing you just told me about and play with it like crazy today until i figure that out. Thank you so much Stewe your one of the only people who genuinely is glad to and willing to help me with this.
Laurel Waida
Use 'effect selector' command and MIDI learn them to your buttons (type=button / mode=direct / value=pick effect).

Should be easy enough

Hey stewe thank you so much for responding. I forgot to mention that i would like each FX knob to move all three parameters and the dry/wet knobs accordingly for each " super effect". Now so far i have it where each button underneath the FX1 and FX2 knobs load three effects, and also control all three parameters along with the dry/wet. So i am almost there. I also understand how to adjust the knobs to make them move faster or invert etc. But the thing that keeps stumping me is when i click the dry/wet knob button which normally sets you into single effects mode, when i go to say tweak one effect in the single effects mode all three parameters want to move no matter which knob i turn. Is there a way for me to go into FX3 mode instead and when in FX3 have the ability to use single effects without the knobs doing that? I am very new to mapping and community s. I really appreciate your help.
Laurel Waida
I am starting this thread in search of fellow mappers who can help contribute to this slightly complex set of mapping instructions. Instead of mapping the effects to the job wheel for aesthetic purposes, i would prefer to map chained effects to the FX knobs on each side of the controller. I feel this is a lot more realistic when Djing in bigger venues due to the use of CDJ's. The jog wheel effect is very fun to play with, but it also makes you play very different when practicing or playing at smaller venues as opposed to entering a big club that requires the use of there cdjs. My goal is to have each FX1 and FX2 buttons load a set of three effects. They then can be manipulated via the knob above the button. That Knob would also incorporate all three loaded effects and the dry/wet knob. That would leave a total of 3 " super effects" for each deck, nice and easily on there side of the Kontrol all loaded with preset parameters with the press of the button underneath. The mode button on the Kontrol s4 on FX1 and FX2 i am planning to leave for a freeze effect. Anyone who can help with this mapping please reach out, i so far have a ruff sketch to this mapping. Thanks everyone, hopefully we can create an awesome new mapping for everyone to use.
Valeri Millstein
You could use modifiers. By using the FX Mode button you could cycle between your loaded FX. You wouldn't be using more than 3 at once but you could at least cycle through them.
Laurel Waida
Originally Posted by 0Notice
Hey 0Notice thanks for pitching in. You and Stewe seem to be the most knowledgeable about mapping based on your thread that i read through titled Ultimate effects. I so far have three super effects per side on each FX knob on the s4. So three super effects on for deck A and C. And three for B and D on each corresponding side of the kontrol S4. Also mapped the ability to switch to FX3 and FX4 using the FX switch buttons underneath the gain knobs. Is there a way to have more than three effects set per FXunit? Say like have 6 super effects under the FX1 category? And if so how would i go about setting this up on the system i have going for type of setup. Thanks again 0Notice you guys are awesome. I had actually stood up last evening reading the thread you created about the effects to get some ideas to fill up my "super effects". I have some implemented but still need to tweak them and possibly change a few
Valeri Millstein
Hey mate,

Laurel Waida
Hey mate,

Here is the tsi
Laurel Waida
Hey mate,

Hey Stewe thanks again for your response. The funny thing is i am very new to mapping and the use of modifiers. Do you believe i can send you my tsi file and have you take a quick look at it to tell me where i am going wrong? I do not expect nor want you to tweak it for me as i would like to do it myself so that i can learn. But a shove in the right direction will definitely get me on my feet. I so far have it exactly where i want it with the effects etc. My one problem is that i have set the FX mode button on the S4 to be a echo freeze effect. It works great, except for one "mishap". I have set the ability to change between FX1 and FX3 on the buttons underneath the gain knobs on the S4. When i press to change to FX3 and off FX1 or vise versa FX4 and off FX2 when i am done using those effects, if i forget to turn off the effect, when i go to use the echo freeze, it will not work. Now i can see what is happening and why this is the case, i just do not know how to correct it. I'd hate to while performing forget that i didn't "undress" the effect and not have my echo work on cue. I am going to try the modifier thing you just told me about and play with it like crazy today until i figure that out. Thank you so much Stewe your one of the only people who genuinely is glad to and willing to help me with this.
Kellie Myrum
Hey mate,

Laurel Waida
Use 'effect selector' command and MIDI learn them to your buttons (type=button / mode=direct / value=pick effect).

Should be easy enough

Hey stewe thank you so much for responding. I forgot to mention that i would like each FX knob to move all three parameters and the dry/wet knobs accordingly for each " super effect". Now so far i have it where each button underneath the FX1 and FX2 knobs load three effects, and also control all three parameters along with the dry/wet. So i am almost there. I also understand how to adjust the knobs to make them move faster or invert etc. But the thing that keeps stumping me is when i click the dry/wet knob button which normally sets you into single effects mode, when i go to say tweak one effect in the single effects mode all three parameters want to move no matter which knob i turn. Is there a way for me to go into FX3 mode instead and when in FX3 have the ability to use single effects without the knobs doing that? I am very new to mapping and community s. I really appreciate your help.
Kellie Myrum

Should be easy enough

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy