(Tutorial) How to Map the F1 in MIDI Mode.

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: (Tutorial) How to Map the F1 in MIDI Mode.Reply
(Tutorial) How to Map the F1 in MIDI Mode.
Posted on: 20.11.2012 by Valeri Millstein
How do I get to Midi Mode and what is it?

First off it you want to use the F1 in "Midi Mode" it is important to understand how this works and how to access it.

Midi Mode is the same as User Mode; the two are interchangeable. This mode, accessed via holding 'SHIFT' and the pushing 'BROWSE' will make the F1 go into Midi Mode. User mode is a mode designed to give users the ability to use the F1 for other things instead of its set native Remix Deck controls. Personally I use the F1s User Mode for instant press FX, Looping and Hot Cues. If you just want to use the F1 for basic remix deck functionality you DO NOT need midi mode.

How to map pad LEDs

The most common question I see about mapping the F1 is how to map the LEDs. After you have created an 'out message' by using Traktor's Controller Manager by using the commands

Add Out > Command you want to map

Next to the learn button there is a drop down bar. This bar is used to select where the LED output message will go. The pads on the F1 are organized left to right, then down, left to right, exedra. Meaning the Pad in the top-left is 1, top-right 4, bottom-left 13, bottom-right 16. After you have selected your pad its time to select your color. Choose one of the many colors. From here standard mapping rules apply. As an example here is a quick run through of mapping a Blinking Led when deck 'A' is playing.

Add in > Deck Common > Play/Pause > Learn to Pad 1 > Button- Toggle > Deck - A
Add out > Deck Common > Beat Phase > From the drop down bar select Pad 1 and Cyan > Deck A > Midi Range 0-127 > Controller Range (Negative) .5 - (Positive) .5
Add out > Deck Common > Play/Pause > From the drop down bar select Pad 1 and Cyan > Deck A > Midi Range 0-127 > Controller Range 0-1

Now hit that pad and you will have a pad that blinks on the beat for deck A.

Hope that helped with any pad LED issues on the F1!

Creating Pad Pages using the encoder and LED Screen

This mapping will allow you to have a total of 8 different pad functions shown by the second digit on the LED Screen.

First lets make sure that the F1 is in Midi mode. In your controller manager, input these commands. In the end the Screen will say what page you are on using a modifier in this case #8.

Add in > Modifier 8 > Learn > Wiggle your encoder > Type of control- Encoder > Interaction Mode - Relative > Rotary Sensitivity - 100% > Rotary Acceleration - 0%
Add Out > Modifier 8 > Drop down next to learn > 7 Segment > 2nd Col > Controller range 0-7 > Midi Range 0-7 > Blend [Checked]

Now when mapping your pads be sure to add the modifier 8 and to what page you want assigned, this goes for Midi ins and outs. If you forget what page you are on just look at the 2nd number on the screen (0-7).

Simple Browse Mapping Tip

This simple map will allow your browse button to double as a 'browse only' layout button in the default F1 mapping.

In the F1 Default mapping:

Add in > Layout > Only Browse On > Learn 'Browse' > Do not override mapping > Mode - Toggle

There ya go!
Waldo Sinegal
I was wondering if anyone could help me make the led pads beat phase when a hot cue is loaded my mapping
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Stewe
C'mon mate, this shouldn't be hard task for ya
Ha. I just cant remember the exact commands... Loser me, haven't been up to too much mapping recently!

Add out > Deck Common > Beat Phase > Add moodier Cue Type 1 > Cue > Device target with deck > Make LED options work for your controller!

Do this four time with each Cue with a different deck on all cues! Should work for ya! Just have to have at least one deck playing for it to work!

@Stewe Figured it out
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
This work around includes a few modifiers but I have no doubt stewe will be here momentarily with a explanation!
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by npapermaster94
I was wondering if anyone could help me make the led pads beat phase when a hot cue is loaded my mapping
The only way to do that is to have at least one track playing at any given moment there is a work around where you have all decks beat phase LED output on all of the things you want to. This work around includes a few modifiers but I have no doubt stewe will be here momentarily with a explanation!
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by koenraadvds
Oke, so now it kind of works. Problem is now that, if I go to another "page" on the F1 and go back, my colors are gone. (cue's work but no color assignments.

I have to reload the song or drag another song in the deck to update it's colors. Any idea?
Make sure you have color commands for both pages so traktor is sure to use the next page LED outs rather than the last ones.
Valeri Millstein
Yes, it seems to be working. I didn't mess around with the midi range, just changed the colors accordingly from type to type command per pad. I'll keep you posted.
Yes use the Color command per pad, thats how the F1 is designed to work its different than other controllers.
Valeri Millstein
Ha. I just cant remember the exact commands... Loser me, haven't been up to too much mapping recently!

Add out > Deck Common > Beat Phase > Add moodier Cue Type 1 > Cue > Device target with deck > Make LED options work for your controller!

Do this four time with each Cue with a different deck on all cues! Should work for ya! Just have to have at least one deck playing for it to work!

@Stewe Figured it out
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by 0Notice
This work around includes a few modifiers but I have no doubt stewe will be here momentarily with a explanation!
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by npapermaster94
The only way to do that is to have at least one track playing at any given moment there is a work around where you have all decks beat phase LED output on all of the things you want to. This work around includes a few modifiers but I have no doubt stewe will be here momentarily with a explanation!
Romeo Cumbess
Hi guys, my pages work now!

Now, how do I make the hot cue led's brighten up when I tap on them? Now they are just static. It's just for esthetics and visual feedback. I got it to work with the phase buttons en beatjump buttons.. but with the hot cue modifiers it doesn't seem to work.
Valeri Millstein
Oke, so now it kind of works. Problem is now that, if I go to another "page" on the F1 and go back, my colors are gone. (cue's work but no color assignments.

I have to reload the song or drag another song in the deck to update it's colors. Any idea?
Make sure you have color commands for both pages so traktor is sure to use the next page LED outs rather than the last ones.
Kellie Myrum
Try 'Send Monitor State' command. Should refresh your controller output.
Romeo Cumbess

Kellie Myrum
Yeah, didn't knew that... Thanks for head up 0Notice!

@koen- Glad you got it sorted out.
Valeri Millstein
Yes, it seems to be working. I didn't mess around with the midi range, just changed the colors accordingly from type to type command per pad. I'll keep you posted.
Yes use the Color command per pad, thats how the F1 is designed to work its different than other controllers.
Romeo Cumbess
Kellie Myrum
The only way do define which color should be displayed for certain cue type is by using modifier condition assigned for each cue type command.

Add Out > Track Deck > Cue > Hotcue # Type

Now check modifier condition slot. Clock on it and drop down menu should appear - look for 'hotcue type' that corresponds to your selected cue number command, after selection assign it to deck.

Next thing check value slot (right next to modifier) and assign your cue type.

Now use MIDI range to pick a color... I don't know which value you should tweak for min/max to get all the colors but you should be able to find them from there. (I'm not an F1 user)

Let me know if that make sense.
Romeo Cumbess
Use cue type modifier condition and assign the LED color for each hotcue using MIDI range velocity values.
Eeuh.. You lost me.
Kellie Myrum
Hi! I'm struggling with a specific part of mapping hotcue's on the 2nd page of my F1. How do I map the output pad LED's to reflect the type of cue's I have on my music. Like, yellow-> load marker, green-> loop, blue -> cue.
I'm only able to map a single color to the pads no matter what type of cue.
Use cue type modifier condition and assign the LED color for each hotcue using MIDI range velocity values.
Romeo Cumbess
Hi! I'm struggling with a specific part of mapping hotcue's on the 2nd page of my F1. How do I map the output pad LED's to reflect the type of cue's I have on my music. Like, yellow-> load marker, green-> loop, blue -> cue.
I'm only able to map a single color to the pads no matter what type of cue.
Abby Beeny
Originally Posted by Tekken
what about my F1 mapping? it is like an advanced instant gratification. Maybe you like it. Or do you want to make your own?
Today I loaded up your mapping! Way better!!!!! Thank you your mapping is awesome
Valeri Millstein
Originally Posted by Clilley13
I wasn't sure about how to download and get it to work lol. After a couple reads of what to do I'm believeing about downloading your F1 mapping. I originally thought it would mess up the remix deck mode but it sounds it will work without changing any of the default remix deck functions.
Yup in User mode it will not get rid of any current functionality!
Abby Beeny
I wasn't sure about how to download and get it to work lol. After a couple reads of what to do I'm believeing about downloading your F1 mapping. I originally thought it would mess up the remix deck mode but it sounds it will work without changing any of the default remix deck functions.
Lura Fiddes
Nice post! I still have a question about mapping for midi mode. I want to make an Fx effect mapping like the insta gratification mapping for MidiFighters. What modifiers would I have to map to map effects and how do you map effects to buttons? I've been searching for a while on how to do it and this was the best thing I have found yet!
what about my F1 mapping? it is like an advanced instant gratification. Maybe you like it. Or do you want to make your own?
Valeri Millstein
Encoder - relative mode?
Yup.
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by MockusD
How do you make KNOB to Select Up/Down (Browser.List) for me its always going down or up I cant work it out to go the way you turn the knob....
Encoder - relative mode?
Ana Butt
How do you make KNOB to Select Up/Down (Browser.List) for me its always going down or up I cant work it out to go the way you turn the knob....
Valeri Millstein
It is a user mapping is what Traktor calls it Default should stay the same!
Abby Beeny
Thank you that should help a ton! Just one more question for midi mode do I just make a generic controller mapping and use the F1 in and out or do I modify the F1 mapping?
Valeri Millstein
Nice post! I still have a question about mapping for midi mode. I want to make an Fx effect mapping like the insta gratification mapping for MidiFighters. What modifiers would I have to map to map effects and how do you map effects to buttons? I've been searching for a while on how to do it and this was the best thing I have found yet!
I am going to send you over to my other thread, The Ultimate Fx thread. There you should be able to find what you need to map for instant grat.
Abby Beeny
Lura Fiddes
too bad that you can't use more than one user mappings at the same time. after swichting to default mapping and back again to your user mappings, only the first user mapping can be controlled.
in the real midi mode you can use more than one mapping and don't run out of modifiers.

p.s: you shouldn't use the words "midi mode" in your tutorial because it is the user mode and not midi mode. there is a difference!
when you want to access the midi mode you have to change it in the kontrol f1 preferences.
Arletta Thornes
thank you for the info
Randell Juna
nice tutorial. ty!
Dick Korus
Thanks a lot for the info on changing pad color. Im going to Map colors right now

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy