Traktor Z2 custom crossfader mapping guru help required

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: Traktor Z2 custom crossfader mapping guru help requiredReply
Traktor Z2 custom crossfader mapping guru help required
Posted on: 13.06.2013 by Sherita Klinck
Hi

Here is what I want to achieve on my Z2 - huge thanks to anyone that can explain how it could be achieved:

• Crossfader silences audio for Deck A at BOTH left and right sides/ends
  • Deck B plays at full volume regardless of crossfader position while Deck A cuts out at both sides as described above
  • Sharp "scratch" cut-in is maintained on both left and right ends/sides of crossfader for Deck A
  • Volume of both decks is full/max with no dip or fade during crossfader travel, other than the sharp cutoff at both sides/ends for Deck A
  • Saveable as a preset, but quickly bypassable to revert crossfader to stock/default behaviour
  • Ideally "reversable" so that anything written above applying to Deck A applies to Deck B, and vice-versa

Cheers
E
Sherita Klinck
Originally Posted by Stewe
It shouldn't be any easier or harder to add three button or a single button setup really, but anyways I'll share a three bank modifier to start with.

I'll use modifier #1 in this example but you're good to use any offered.

Button #1:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=1

Button #2:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=2

Button #3:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=3

Now these are only input commands and we'll add LED output to indicate which mode is selected at any time once you got this done and working. You can check if they play nice by looking at modifier state lil window/slot (right under device menu) for the modifier# you've previously added. Since every of three buttons is using a different values (1,2,3) ether value should be displayed once you hit corresponding button.

Hopefully you can follow this. Let me know if I should elaborate more alright.
I'm with you so far

Added as per instructions, I'm using the Z2 left cue buttons 1-3.

I can see the modifier state change value as I "play" the three buttons. These buttons are however also simultaneously triggering cue points on Deck A - would that be a problem?

Cheers
E
Sherita Klinck
OK, so I tried it last evening and actually believe I made a pretty nice solution. In fact, I believe this should replicate all steps from your OP.

Let's start from x-fader presets. I made each preset (A - B - A+B) using a three buttons and one modifier. Now, this can be done using just one button as well and run trough different presets so let me know which route would you go for?
Fantastic thanks Stewe. My vote would be for me to start with three buttons, or whichever is easiest for a total newb at adding these modifiers. Every time I enter that crazy mapping page in Traktor I always get utterly bamboozled, so please do talk to me as if you were addressing a three-year-old child

Cheers!
E
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by earwolf
Hi Stewe - many thanks for taking time to consider this.

To be honest the A/B and presets are the icing on the cake - I would just like to get the double-cut working first. I don't mind how many buttons it uses or which ones.

As for why, to win DMC of course - no...it's just a personal preference/project that has been rolling on for years in a few forms, but not in Traktor, hence the appeal to experts such as your good self.

Cheers
E
OK, so I tried it last evening and actually believe I made a pretty nice solution. In fact, I believe this should replicate all steps from your OP.

Let's start from x-fader presets. I made each preset (A - B - A+B) using a three buttons and one modifier. Now, this can be done using just one button as well and run trough different presets so let me know which route would you go for?
Sherita Klinck
Originally Posted by smittten
I'd ask Stewe for his mailing address now and don't send him less than a crate- that would be plain rude.
I will dig in the crates and include some coasters (old CDs)
Sherita Klinck
Sounds interesting. I got it in my mind but this is something I'll need to test before giving conclusions. I believe this mapping would require two or three modifiers.

How many buttons would you use for A/B and x-fader presets?

and

Why cutting one deck at both sides?

To be honest the A/B and presets are the icing on the cake - I would just like to get the double-cut working first. I don't mind how many buttons it uses or which ones.

As for why, to win DMC of course - no...it's just a personal preference/project that has been rolling on for years in a few forms, but not in Traktor, hence the appeal to experts such as your good self.

Cheers
E
Len Lukawski
Ok so I might have been aiming a little high...
If anyone cracks this conundrum I will buy you three large beers.

Cheers
E
I'd ask Stewe for his mailing address now and don't send him less than a crate- that would be plain rude.
Kellie Myrum
Hi

Here is what I want to achieve on my Z2 - huge thanks to anyone that can explain how it could be achieved:

• Deck B plays at full volume regardless of crossfader position while Deck A cuts out at both sides as described above
  • Sharp "scratch" cut-in is maintained on both left and right ends/sides of crossfader for Deck A
  • Volume of both decks is full/max with no dip or fade during crossfader travel, other than the sharp cutoff at both sides/ends for Deck A
  • Saveable as a preset, but quickly bypassable to revert crossfader to stock/default behaviour
  • Ideally "reversable" so that anything written above applying to Deck A applies to Deck B, and vice-versa

Cheers
E
Sounds interesting. I got it in my mind but this is something I'll need to test before giving conclusions. I believe this mapping would require two or three modifiers.

and

Sherita Klinck
Hi

Cheers
E
Kellie Myrum
Kellie Myrum
Sherita Klinck
Hi Stewe

Sorry for delay, didn't have a chance to get back on here. The cue points are not really a problem as I can use Deck C buttons for now. Happy to kick on with the fader assignment part whenever you can

Cheers
E
Kellie Myrum
Any progress here?
Kellie Myrum
Cool!

That might be a problem because you don't want to trigger cues during the mix by accident. What you should do is to look for this cue point command related to deck A and delete them from the mapping.

Commands you're looking for are in- 'Set/Store Hotcue' and out- 'Hotcue # (1,2,3) Type'.

If you're having problem locating and clearing them please upload your mapping for me to check it out. But that should be easy one
Sherita Klinck
It shouldn't be any easier or harder to add three button or a single button setup really, but anyways I'll share a three bank modifier to start with.

Button #1:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=1

Button #2:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=2

Button #3:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=3

Now these are only input commands and we'll add LED output to indicate which mode is selected at any time once you got this done and working. You can check if they play nice by looking at modifier state lil window/slot (right under device menu) for the modifier# you've previously added. Since every of three buttons is using a different values (1,2,3) ether value should be displayed once you hit corresponding button.

I'm with you so far

Added as per instructions, I'm using the Z2 left cue buttons 1-3.

I can see the modifier state change value as I "play" the three buttons. These buttons are however also simultaneously triggering cue points on Deck A - would that be a problem?

Cheers
E
Kellie Myrum

Button #1:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=1

Button #2:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=2

Button #3:

Add In > Modifier 1
type=button
interaction=direct
value=3

Sherita Klinck

Fantastic thanks Stewe. My vote would be for me to start with three buttons, or whichever is easiest for a total newb at adding these modifiers. Every time I enter that crazy mapping page in Traktor I always get utterly bamboozled, so please do talk to me as if you were addressing a three-year-old child

Cheers!
E
Kellie Myrum

Cheers
E

Sherita Klinck
Originally Posted by smittten
I will dig in the crates and include some coasters (old CDs)
Sherita Klinck

and

Cheers
E
Len Lukawski

Cheers
E
Kellie Myrum
Hi

Cheers
E

and

Sherita Klinck

At the most basic level, is there a way to control the on/off audio state (ie a mute) for a Traktor Deck? Like a "transformer switch" that can be mapped to a button.

If so can this be mapped to a fader (internally using the NI high-res NHL format rather than externally via midi)?

I have tried mapping a few things to the Z2 crossfader but Traktor throws a "unsuitable assignment" error that suggests you can only do "obvious" fader-type mappinsg (volume control, filter amount etc - not on/off actions based on precise crossfader position).

Cheers
E

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy