How do i calculate steps for jogwheels?

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: How do i calculate steps for jogwheels?Reply
How do i calculate steps for jogwheels?
Posted on: 08.10.2013 by Georgene Anchors
Hi there guys and girls.
I am trying to map an unsupported controller (mixit sg-1 aka soundgarden) on virtual dj. I have created a definition file. How do i calculate the number of steps the jog does to perform a full circle? I have already downloaded miditrace and the controller gives readings there. the jogs are not touch sensitive :-/
Georgene Anchors
Hi there guys and girls.
I am trying to map an unsupported controller (mixit sg-1 aka soundgarden) on virtual dj. I have created a definition file. How do i calculate the number of steps the jog does to perform a full circle? I have already downloaded miditrace and the controller gives readings there. the jogs are not touch sensitive :-/
Napoleon Oberkrom
Hi!

I mapped that exact same thing for track-prep in Traktor, and one thing I noticed was that the jogs seem to send two different types of signal at the same time - a note AND a CC. CCs are control messages. You do seem to be on the right track.

Left Jog sends CC 025 (which in hex is 0x19 as you'd found), Right Jog sends CC 024 (0x18).

Traktor doesn't believe in terms of mapping jog control rotations to on-screen rotations, so I don't have a number to share. I just use the Encoder Mode "7Fh/01h" and adjust a percentage "rotary sensitivity". I believe it's just going to require some experimentation to find a number that works sensibly and feels right.

I do also have VDJ Pro, so if you want to send me over your work-in-progress I'll happily give any assistance I can. I've not done any mapping with it, as I only used it with my old Hercules controller.
Georgene Anchors
None? Is it a case of pot luck getting it right? So far everything else is working well (leds, crossfader, knobs) the only thing incorrect in the definition file is: <jog cc="0x19" name="JOG" full="??" deck="1" />. is the number a multiple of 16 or can it be anything? is it something only the manufacturer knows? Ive been trying different numbers and the bigger the number ,the less the song moves when i do a rotation, if that makes sense. it's the first thing im mapping so any help would be appreciated. my mixtrack pro was working straight away so never tried changing anything.

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy