best starter mapping for Midifighter Spectra with an X1?

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: best starter mapping for Midifighter Spectra with an X1?Reply
best starter mapping for Midifighter Spectra with an X1?
Posted on: 22.10.2013 by Efrain Scharr
I accidentally posted this in the wrong community I believe, so posting here, mods please merge them.

I just got my MF Spectra and looking for the best mapping for the MF to get my feet wet. I would like to use one of the FX/Gratification mappings. I tried the DJ tech tools one, but I lost most of the functionality of the X1 with the MF mapping. I know I am going to need to make some customizations, but just looking for a starting point I guess. I don't neeed the MF to control any play, sync, cue or anything that is on the X1. I would prefer the MF simply control effects only right now to start. When I was using my second F1 I was using the tekken mapping for FX and it was cool because it also left open an FX rack so I still could use one from the X1.

Like I said, any suggestion as for a better starting point for me would be great.

Thanks
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by LanceBlaise
Ok, just an update, incase you wanted to know...

I called support and Zack answered. Super helpful by the way. Anyhow. Since I updated to Maverick OSX, the MF utility isn't set up to work with the new OSX. But I can still set up the MF Utility on my other mac to at least get the .mfs file loaded onto it. Fortunately there is this workaround. So doing that now. He did say they are working on the Update. Stewe if you are on Mac you may want o wait before updating.
Hey that's good to know! Thumbsup Zach!

I'm using Windows but this might be helpful if I see a question in community s and regards to that issue.
Kellie Myrum
hmmmm. Wel I dont know if it is functioning 100% right. The FX pages all seem to be working, but nothing else.
That confirmed my thought. The .mfs file didn't install correctly and your side buttons aren't set to change between MF banks. Seems that your Spectra has "stayed" in bank 2 from the last mapping that you've been using or since the factory reset.
Efrain Scharr
Originally Posted by Stewe
Well that don't make sense, if utility recognize your Spectra as a classic you wouldn't be able to import .mfs file and successfully save those settings to the MIDIfighter Spectra. I'd tell about this to support for sure.
hmmmm. Wel I dont know if it is functioning 100% right. The FX pages all seem to be working, but nothing else.
Kellie Myrum
your mapping is working fine though in there... Do I need to worry about it? Its just for color right? I will contact support, but doest it mak sense that the mapping still works?
Well that don't make sense, if utility recognize your Spectra as a classic you wouldn't be able to import .mfs file and successfully save those settings to the MIDIfighter Spectra. I'd tell about this to support for sure.
Efrain Scharr
Sounds like a job for DJTT support.

Hope you get it sorted out soon!
your mapping is working fine though in there... Do I need to worry about it? Its just for color right? I will contact support, but doest it mak sense that the mapping still works?
Kellie Myrum
I have already mapped the FX1 and FX2 buttons under the knobs to focus for deck A and Deck B.

Can I simply just map that top FX on button?
Nice!

I see where it went wrong. Modifier condition slot #1 - this command were previously assigned for unit 2.
Efrain Scharr
You are correct. Give me a moment.
I have already mapped the FX1 and FX2 buttons under the knobs to focus for deck A and Deck B.

Kellie Myrum

I called support and Zack answered. Super helpful by the way. Anyhow. Since I updated to Maverick OSX, the MF utility isn't set up to work with the new OSX. But I can still set up the MF Utility on my other mac to at least get the .mfs file loaded onto it. Fortunately there is this workaround. So doing that now. He did say they are working on the Update. Stewe if you are on Mac you may want o wait before updating.
Hey that's good to know! Thumbsup Zach!

I'm using Windows but this might be helpful if I see a question in community s and regards to that issue.
Efrain Scharr

Kellie Myrum
That confirmed my thought. The .mfs file didn't install correctly and your side buttons aren't set to change between MF banks. Seems that your Spectra has "stayed" in bank 2 from the last mapping that you've been using or since the factory reset.
Efrain Scharr
Kellie Myrum
Efrain Scharr

Kellie Myrum

Efrain Scharr
tried to do a factory reset on this thing and still nothing. Says it is a midifighter classic.
Efrain Scharr
ugh.. well there goes all my fun. I just went to install your mapping but the midifighter utility tool is telling me that I have a midifighter classic plugged in, when its really a spectra.
Kellie Myrum

Nice!

I see where it went wrong. Modifier condition slot #1 - this command were previously assigned for unit 2.
Efrain Scharr
Ok, I did it!

Now I believe I will save this whole mapping and try out your Ninja with it, seee what works for me and what doesn't. This may take a couple weeks. I will probably have to write a lot down. Thank you for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it all. Makes me confident that buying one of your future mappings will go nice and smooth. Can't wait!
Efrain Scharr

Kellie Myrum
Not sure if you missed it in the mapping edit you made for me, but it doesn't turn on FX unit 4. Everything else is working.
Efrain Scharr
Alright,

Note that each of the mapping devices are connected via modifier grids regards to Traktor modifier limitations. You can try and clear some stuff out but I don't promise anything
Not sure if you missed it in the mapping edit you made for me, but it doesn't turn on FX unit 4. Everything else is working.
Kellie Myrum
Awesome! I will test it out as soon as OSX is done updating. Thank you so much.

And temporarily can I delete stuff in the Ninja mapping, or do you believe that would be too tricky for me? Like is the stuff on the first set of the mapping all together or are things kind of all over the place when I go into edit the mapping? Just wondering how hard it would be for me. My deleting this stuff would just be temporary while I get used to finding out which parts I like and don't like. This way I can have you make all the changes for me when I ready for you to make my mapping.

Thanks
Alright,

Note that each of the mapping devices are connected via modifier grids regards to Traktor modifier limitations. You can try and clear some stuff out but I don't promise anything
Efrain Scharr
Sounds cool dude, I could customize the ninja mapping for you so when you believe you're up for that please send me a PM with all the details.

Here's the X1 edit. Let me know if I've missed something because I did this without the unit.

X1 only_unit 4 edit.tsi
Awesome! I will test it out as soon as OSX is done updating. Thank you so much.

And temporarily can I delete stuff in the Ninja mapping, or do you believe that would be too tricky for me? Like is the stuff on the first set of the mapping all together or are things kind of all over the place when I go into edit the mapping? Just wondering how hard it would be for me. My deleting this stuff would just be temporary while I get used to finding out which parts I like and don't like. This way I can have you make all the changes for me when I ready for you to make my mapping.

Thanks
Kellie Myrum
Sounds cool dude, I could customize the ninja mapping for you so when you believe you're up for that please send me a PM with all the details.

Here's the X1 edit. Let me know if I've missed something because I did this without the unit.

X1 only_unit 4 edit.tsi
Efrain Scharr
Should be easy fix. Just let me know should I change unit 1 or unit 2?
I would like the FX controls (knobs & buttons) on the right side (this is normally the controls fro Unit 2) to control FX Unit 4. This way I can control the delay that is in there. Thanks so much!!

Ninja mapping has all of the original InstaGrats effects and a whole lot more stuff in there. It's designed for a Traktor master DJs who want to bring a controllerism elements into a DJ set.
I believe this would be something really good for me to be honest. Is it going to be difficult if I wanted to remove all of the stuff I don't need, such as the remix deck stuff, and all the deck controls that you have in the start of the video that explains the Ninja mapping? I just don't want all of that stuff in there as it is not needed. Its just less stuff for me to accidentally load into. I consider myself a good experienced user of traktor. I have my Maschine synced up and I use the X1 and don't have any issues. I somewhat understand the basics of mapping, its just when you start getting into a lot of modifiers I begin to get a little lost. I am blind so things take me sometime to get used to. But I like to build my setup around what suits me best. I most definitely am going to need to buy a mapping customization from you, but I believe it is going to be a modification of your ninja mapping to suit me, so hope to gather funds for that in the next month before I go on tour in Europe.

Can you please elaborate more? Transpose - assuming you meant transport.
I did mean Transport, sorry.
Kellie Myrum
I have attached my X1 mapping. Thanks

X1 only.tsi
Should be easy fix. Just let me know should I change unit 1 or unit 2?

hmmm. Maybe this mapping would be suited better for me than the instantgrat. I thought that ninja mapping was just all of your mappings into one. Would using that just be a bit excessive for me? I don't need remix decks, and I want to remove all transpose and maybe remap them to something else if I can figure it out. lol. I just really like those ramp buttons and believe they would be a bit more useful to me than some of the effects on the MF one I am currently trying to use. I believe I am just a little confused as to what the Ninja one does.
Ninja mapping has all of the original InstaGrats effects and a whole lot more stuff in there. It's designed for a Traktor master DJs who want to bring a controllerism elements into a DJ set.

I am under the assumption that all I need to do to remove the functions of the transpose buttons on the MF is to just go ahead and delete anything assigned to that button, correct?
Can you please elaborate more? Transpose - assuming you meant transport.
Efrain Scharr
If you're using that mapping in MIDI mode you can send it as well and I'll edit ether left or right knobs to control the unit 4.
I have attached my X1 mapping. Thanks

X1 only.tsi

The Ramp buttons are part of my Ninja mapping. There you have some more Delays, Reverbs, Masher and a sweep down Peak Filter.
hmmm. Maybe this mapping would be suited better for me than the instantgrat. I thought that ninja mapping was just all of your mappings into one. Would using that just be a bit excessive for me? I don't need remix decks, and I want to remove all transpose and maybe remap them to something else if I can figure it out. lol. I just really like those ramp buttons and believe they would be a bit more useful to me than some of the effects on the MF one I am currently trying to use. I believe I am just a little confused as to what the Ninja one does.

I am under the assumption that all I need to do to remove the functions of the transpose buttons on the MF is to just go ahead and delete anything assigned to that button, correct?
Kellie Myrum
Alright, making some progress. I had 2 X1 mappings in there, seems the default one loaded in as well as my own personal X1 mapping. So now the transpose on the X1 are working along with my other mappings, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Because I looked at the Midi in/outs i first had to look and select the X1 and noticed there were 2 mappings in ther for the X1.
That's good to know for further reference.

So, how do I go about making the X1 FX controls on the right side or the left side a spare control? Right now I would like to make it just control what is in FX unit 4. That is a Delay that is used for the Echo, and right now I would like to just control that.
If you're using that mapping in MIDI mode you can send it as well and I'll edit ether left or right knobs to control the unit 4.

After all of this I have a good idea of a mapping I am most likely going to be sending to you eventually. First I just need to get my bearings with this layout. I am legally blind so I will need to be able to feel fully comfortable running my hands along the side of the unit first to make sure what I would like to do makes sense for me.
Thake some time to consider every aspect and let me know when you have good idea of what control do you need.

Also, I saw this video of yours. I understand the ramp delay, but what else do you have mapped here. I like it, maybe something I can incorporate. Is this part of one of your mappings?

The Ramp buttons are part of my Ninja mapping. There you have some more Delays, Reverbs, Masher and a sweep down Peak Filter.
Efrain Scharr
Also, I saw this video of yours. I understand the ramp delay, but what else do you have mapped here. I like it, maybe something I can incorporate. Is this part of one of your mappings?

Efrain Scharr
Alright, making some progress. I had 2 X1 mappings in there, seems the default one loaded in as well as my own personal X1 mapping. So now the transpose on the X1 are working along with my other mappings, so thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Because I looked at the Midi in/outs i first had to look and select the X1 and noticed there were 2 mappings in ther for the X1.

So, how do I go about making the X1 FX controls on the right side or the left side a spare control? Right now I would like to make it just control what is in FX unit 4. That is a Delay that is used for the Echo, and right now I would like to just control that.

After all of this I have a good idea of a mapping I am most likely going to be sending to you eventually. First I just need to get my bearings with this layout. I am legally blind so I will need to be able to feel fully comfortable running my hands along the side of the unit first to make sure what I would like to do makes sense for me.

Thanks!
Efrain Scharr
Strange. Did you make sure that MIDI in-port out-port are set for an X1?
I will check in a little bit. Its weird though, some buttons etc work on the X1
Kellie Myrum
Strange. Did you make sure that MIDI in-port out-port are set for an X1?
Efrain Scharr
Lol my bad dude, spelled that wrong - what I meant was spare

Once you import MF mapping following instructions all other previously imported maps will be deleted. You can easily add your X1 back using the import button under device drop down menu.

If you've downloaded one of my maps for the Spectra you're correct. I keep all of my LED colors in Traktor rather than use MF utility to display them.
hmmm. That was how I added back my X1. But for some reason it will not let me control anything that the MF has control over. Maybe I will have better luck with one of your mappings for the MF. I am going to see if one of those works better for me. Can you suggest one that won't have too much stuff that I don't need? I am only looking to control FX right now, I will take all the transport stuff and most likely replace those with pitch bend for use when i mixing into someone who is on cd's etc... I will load one of those and post back here which I have loaded. Maybe then my X1 will fully function in there?
Kellie Myrum
Lol my bad dude, spelled that wrong - what I meant was spare

Once you import MF mapping following instructions all other previously imported maps will be deleted. You can easily add your X1 back using the import button under device drop down menu.

If you've downloaded one of my maps for the Spectra you're correct. I keep all of my LED colors in Traktor rather than use MF utility to display them.
Efrain Scharr
You're welcome,

1. I thought of spear unit control on your X1 which was the original idea right?
2. Yes they should. Sounds like you have used big import button so it has re-writed your X1 mapping when you have used instruction for loading the MF .tsi
3. Start point is $50. Let me know if you're interested - post or send a control diagram and I'll reply to you with state.

Best
I really appreciate your help. I don't know what spear means... I just want to have one of the FX units work with the X1 slot. Is that what "spear" means? I did use the big import button because that is what it told me to do. Is there a way I should have done it so I can also keep my X1 mapping?

I get kinda geeky and like to waste tons of time learning stuff. I may just take you up on custom mapping though. I still want to try and learn this. I am ok with Traktor mappings, but i can't seem to figure out the MF control program. I load in the one from the mapping i download but i don't se anything in there. but its all in the controller settings in Traktor. Hope i can figure this stuff out.
Kellie Myrum
You're welcome,

1. I thought of spear unit control on your X1 which was the original idea right?
2. Yes they should. Sounds like you have used big import button so it has re-writed your X1 mapping when you have used instruction for loading the MF .tsi
3. Start point is $50. Let me know if you're interested - post or send a control diagram and I'll reply to you with state.

Best
Efrain Scharr
Each of the Grat mappings uses all four FX units so what you could do is to learn what effect comes loaded in each slot when you activate them using the Spectra and see which group of effects you wish to replace and have a spear controller in your X1.

Or you could order a custom designed mapping to suite your workflow.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So a couple of questions Stewe:
1. what is a spear controller? That sounds like a good idea for me. I believe I can get rid of the FX in on unit 4 as it seems to just control that echo and thats it.
2. Can I make it so both the midifighter and the X1's transports work? Why does the X1's get cancelled out?
3. What do you charge for something like what I am looking for, I would obviously look for some more customizations replacing the transport buttons.

Thanks again.
Kellie Myrum
Each of the Grat mappings uses all four FX units so what you could do is to learn what effect comes loaded in each slot when you activate them using the Spectra and see which group of effects you wish to replace and have a spear controller in your X1.

Or you could order a custom designed mapping to suite your workflow.

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy