MIDI mapping to specific knob or fader range

Home :: Post and find Controller Mappings :: MIDI mapping to specific knob or fader rangeReply
MIDI mapping to specific knob or fader range
Posted on: 09.11.2013 by Kathleen Mcoy
Hi all,

It used to be possible to map certain things to a specific MIDI range. Is this still possible?

What I want to do is map a knob so that when it's in the 12 o'clock position I trigger a specific event. This used to be how we made some awesome multi effect knobs such as turning a single knobs turns FX unit 1 D/W from 0-100% and FX unit 2 D/W from 30-70% or something similar.

Here is specifically what I want to do... my mixer has a built in Filter knob but no way to toggle the filter on or off other than that it's off in the 12 o'clock position. Though, technically it's still on. So what I want is an LED that comes on when the mixers Filter knob is not in the 12 o'clock position. More specifically... I want that LED to be on if that deck isn't playing but the filter is on. I want it to be my beat phase blink when the filter is on and the deck is playing.

I can get the first part working but I don't know any way to make the beat phase part work. Anyone have any ideas?
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by synthet1c
From what I have discovered you can use modifier values on absolute knobs but you would need to use a button to set the position you want the knob to start on, then you can set the knobs interaction mode to relative and adjust the Rotary sensitivity to change the amount you would like to control a specific parameter eg.

Button:
Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.00);
Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.30);
Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');
Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Unit On -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Toggle');

Absolute Knob:
Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Direct');
Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') ->
rotarySensitivity(63%);

I'm using a modifier trick instead of a direct button. Map a hold type modifier so the value becomes one when you move the knob off the 0. Then use those same button parameters, map them to knob and assign M=0 to preset those parameter like a boss

As for triggering events at different positions of the knob, I don't believe it's possible... The same as making LED's blink to the beat or a set interval. I believe when you see that on controllers it's built into the firmware, So I believe you would need to use some middleware to handle those seemingly more complicated tasks. But in middleware I would be surprised if you can't send the midi-clock to the middleware to make a LED blink on beat. Something like Zestoi's program come's to mind as it has it's own internal scripting that you can use to do much more than traktor currently allows.
This can be done by traktor, it's a pretty complex workaround though to explain in simple.
Kathleen Mcoy
Hi all,

It used to be possible to map certain things to a specific MIDI range. Is this still possible?

What I want to do is map a knob so that when it's in the 12 o'clock position I trigger a specific event. This used to be how we made some awesome multi effect knobs such as turning a single knobs turns FX unit 1 D/W from 0-100% and FX unit 2 D/W from 30-70% or something similar.

Here is specifically what I want to do... my mixer has a built in Filter knob but no way to toggle the filter on or off other than that it's off in the 12 o'clock position. Though, technically it's still on. So what I want is an LED that comes on when the mixers Filter knob is not in the 12 o'clock position. More specifically... I want that LED to be on if that deck isn't playing but the filter is on. I want it to be my beat phase blink when the filter is on and the deck is playing.

I can get the first part working but I don't know any way to make the beat phase part work. Anyone have any ideas?
Kellie Myrum
Yup, the big export will export all the mapping devices in to on .tsi

You can also export each of individual device by clicking 'edit' tab under device menu.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
yeah, and I only used the "controller mappings" option, does it copy over all the mappings or just the one you currently have in focus in the controller editor?
Kellie Myrum
Did you export the file using a big Export button? What settings have you exported?

I usually zip before uploading but that just because the .tsi can sometimes come as a different type.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
how do you upload tsi files? I have only mapped a single knob and the filesize is 2.62mb which is too large for the uploader
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I have done something similar in VDJ where when you hit the ends you change what the fader will control by changing the variable/modifier value. It was a looproll and white noise on the way down until half way, then an echo was activated, then when it hit the end the looproll deactivated, on the way back up it was only controlling the wet/dry of the white noise and echo until it hit the top where the white noise and echo where disabled, it was all inspired by armyOfMe's mapping, but used only a volume fader instead of an encoder and a couple of buttons. It looks like you're using the same sort of logic here.
Kellie Myrum
Here is little something from Traktor Tips and Tricks thread:

Imagine a solution for effects by combining this two setups in one. Like using one base superfader and assign other button/faders to do different things regards to superfader modifiers.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
awesome... I guessing that you could combine this and the other method with two modifiers to get events to occur at the start middle and end of the knob/slider travel and split the knob in two.

I believe I need to have more of a play with the effects to get some ideas of what's possible, but to be honest the effects haven't exactly wowed me yet, I'm sure that will change cause I have seen you do some amazing things over the last year in your videos.
Kellie Myrum
That's the one mate. This works with any rotary pot or a slider, it showed to be totally reliable in my custom mappings.

This technique have changed my effect control cause I can apply a filter to reduce the T3 delay as it goes wild and also keep D/W signal up so Peak filter can come in front. Love the concept.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
cool, but what were you mapping it to? I tried my pitch fader to modifier #3 and it changed the value from 0-7 in the center so the two sides were split... Is that what's supposed to happen? the slider is a standard 0-127 fader
Kellie Myrum
I've used this mapping technique for my Isolator FX mapping. Using this as a base you can try to recreate more positions.

My old BCD had one of this superfaders

Jonathan Chiuchiolo
fark native suck, why do they make things so difficult!

i figured how to have effect 1 turn on when moving off 0, and control the slider, then when above halfway turn on the second effect. it seems you can do what I was asking the other day, just need to find some decent combinations of effects. It sucks that you need to account for all eight values though.
Kellie Myrum
Been there. The relative mode ain't reliable assigning a modifier states along the fader length. I mean you should be able to originally set everything in place but once you re-import the .tsi it usually mess it all. Wish NI add some new paterns for this purpose.

Also, exact same sensitivity and settings won't work for every fader due the different resolutions.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
well I figured out something cool that will set the modifier to one at the end of the range travel

knob:
Add in -> Dry/wet -> type('Fader/knob') -> interactionMode('direct');
Add in -> modifier #2 -> type('Fader/knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') -> sensitivity(5%);
Add in -> button 2 -> type('Button') -> modifier(M2=0) -> interactionMode('direct') -> value(0);
Add in -> button 2 -> type('Button') -> modifier(M2=1) -> interactionMode('direct') -> value(1);

echo freeze bitches!!! I cant get the knob to cycle through the 8 modifier values though. will have to play some more.

EDIT---------------

Spoke too soon, 24% seems to move fairly evenly and lands on M2=4 in the center
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
So do you make a modifier for each notch of the cc value? add the knob as a button, then depending on the modifier value do something different with the button part of it? does it take 50 commands to have a command fire in the middle of the knobs range?
Kellie Myrum
No I can't... Takes about 50 commands and complex modifier setup to do this little thing. You can trust my words if you like :P
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
your going to have to explain it now, cause I want to know
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by synthet1c
From what I have discovered you can use modifier values on absolute knobs but you would need to use a button to set the position you want the knob to start on, then you can set the knobs interaction mode to relative and adjust the Rotary sensitivity to change the amount you would like to control a specific parameter eg.

Button:
Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.00);
Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Button') -> interactionMode('Direct') -> setToValue(0.30);

Absolute Knob:
Add in -> FX Unit 1 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Direct');
Add in -> FX Unit 2 -> Dry/Wet Adjust -> type('Fader/Knob') -> interactionMode('Relative') ->
rotarySensitivity(63%);

I'm using a modifier trick instead of a direct button. Map a hold type modifier so the value becomes one when you move the knob off the 0. Then use those same button parameters, map them to knob and assign M=0 to preset those parameter like a boss

As for triggering events at different positions of the knob, I don't believe it's possible... The same as making LED's blink to the beat or a set interval. I believe when you see that on controllers it's built into the firmware, So I believe you would need to use some middleware to handle those seemingly more complicated tasks. But in middleware I would be surprised if you can't send the midi-clock to the middleware to make a LED blink on beat. Something like Zestoi's program come's to mind as it has it's own internal scripting that you can use to do much more than traktor currently allows.
This can be done by traktor, it's a pretty complex workaround though to explain in simple.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo

Button:

Absolute Knob:
rotarySensitivity(63%);

<< Back to Post and find Controller MappingsReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy