Powdercoating Technics Platter

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Powdercoating Technics PlatterReply
Powdercoating Technics Platter
Posted on: 01.05.2012 by Tashia Mcdunn
Guys,

I noticed that the bottom side of the platter has rubber that seems to be bonded to the platter somehow. This wont work for powdercoating.

Has anyone PC'd they're platter? How did you go about doing that?

Should I just switch to getting it painted?
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by Daw-z
+1
+1

im jsut reading through this post they look really cool!!

ive just sent mine away for powder coating im worried now as im not sure if there going to use a primmer! i believe mine are going in paint stripper..
Tashia Mcdunn
Originally Posted by DJHicksTurntableMods
Firstly make sure the pitch slider is as clean as possible internally!!

As a suggestion have you tried stripping the deck and removing the pcb with the pitch control attached...

Make sure your multimeter is on the correct setting (as many decimals as possible) and that your pitch control is set at 0 ie, its 'clicked' in the middle.

Then take the reading from the legs on the potentiometer next to the slider. Its fiddly but with very fine adjustments to this potentiometer you'll be able get it to read 2.7k which should hopefully solve your problem.
Thanks for the help man! Yeah I took out the pitch fader and cleaned it up then put it back in and followed the multimeter method to calibrate it but still no go.

I ended up ordering a pair of new pitch faders that should get here tomorrow. Hopefully thats the issue and not the potentiometer
or something else.
Deeanna Gripshover
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
Looks neat Jim. But honestly, I'm not too keen on the finish of the platter. It would look better if the dots were re-faced in my opinion.
+1
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by jimbrowski00
thanks Nicadraus! what do you believe re-polish the dots? I'm not sure what to do...
You can re-face it manually using 3 kinds of sand paper. Start of with 400cc, then 800cc and 1200cc grits. If you want it shinier, use 2000cc as well. Make sure to sand the upper and lower lip as well.
Ira Alsadi
Originally Posted by Luconia
LOL does it really matter?
well i'm also on the fence about modding mine, either to have it painted or just wrap it with carbon fiber sticker like this guy here
http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...t=carbon+fiber
I'm not sure how thick this sticker would be, coz it does look awesome on CDJs too
All that matters is what he believes. Personally the platter dots are sort of iconic to with the silver on black. Just a personal preference.
Emely Metz
Originally Posted by djlotus
I'm on the fence on the platter. It looks kind of cool, but now doesn't look like a Technics to me.
well i'm also on the fence about modding mine, either to have it painted or just wrap it with carbon fiber sticker like this guy here
I'm not sure how thick this sticker would be, coz it does look awesome on CDJs too
Jeffrey Akinsanya
Originally Posted by Daw-z
+1
+1

im jsut reading through this post they look really cool!!

ive just sent mine away for powder coating im worried now as im not sure if there going to use a primmer! i believe mine are going in paint stripper..
Tashia Mcdunn
Thanks man! It's hosted by godaddy
Albertina Fay
jimbrowski00: don't mean to go off-topic here, but I went to your site to see the rest of your pics.

I like your blog layout.

do you host your WP blog, or you web-hosting it?
Tashia Mcdunn
yup they're dead on 2.7k... im not doing anything with them so im cool with sending them to you if you cover postage. Let me see how the new ones turn out first and then we can coordinate!
Jenette Ramadan
So the potentiometer is reading 2.7k dead on? ....

What are you doing with the pitches? If you don't want them i'd cover postage and see if they can be sorted... ??
Tashia Mcdunn
Originally Posted by DJHicksTurntableMods

As a suggestion have you tried stripping the deck and removing the pcb with the pitch control attached...

Make sure your multimeter is on the correct setting (as many decimals as possible) and that your pitch control is set at 0 ie, its 'clicked' in the middle.

Then take the reading from the legs on the potentiometer next to the slider. Its fiddly but with very fine adjustments to this potentiometer you'll be able get it to read 2.7k which should hopefully solve your problem.
Thanks for the help man! Yeah I took out the pitch fader and cleaned it up then put it back in and followed the multimeter method to calibrate it but still no go.

I ended up ordering a pair of new pitch faders that should get here tomorrow. Hopefully thats the issue and not the potentiometer
or something else.
Jenette Ramadan

Tashia Mcdunn
Thanks Nicadrus... I may do that I believe it would look good. Might keep them like this for a while though since its kinda growing on me.

I've seen your work and know you do a great job. Question for you, I'm currently putting the second table back together and the pitch fader wont calibrate. I'm using viperfranks method from youtube using the multimeter. The problem is that even after adjusting the pot on the fader to the proper resistance I still get a double zero.

I did some searching online and someone on the serato community seemed to have the same problem as me and took his table to an electrician who fixed it for him but said that it was somehow related to being internally grounded.

Any hints on what may be going on?
Deeanna Gripshover
Originally Posted by Nicadraus
Looks neat Jim. But honestly, I'm not too keen on the finish of the platter. It would look better if the dots were re-faced in my opinion.
+1
Osvaldo Newhall
Originally Posted by jimbrowski00
thanks Nicadraus! what do you believe re-polish the dots? I'm not sure what to do...
You can re-face it manually using 3 kinds of sand paper. Start of with 400cc, then 800cc and 1200cc grits. If you want it shinier, use 2000cc as well. Make sure to sand the upper and lower lip as well.
Tashia Mcdunn
Osvaldo Newhall
Tashia Mcdunn
just posted up a few more pics of the dis-assembly and a few of the finished product.

Go to djjimbrowski.com for the pics
Ira Alsadi
Originally Posted by Luconia
All that matters is what he believes. Personally the platter dots are sort of iconic to with the silver on black. Just a personal preference.
Karolis Petrauskas
IMO the platter looks super tight. I'd love to do the same on mine.
Tashia Mcdunn
the look is kinda growing on me honestly... at least the platter is easy to take off so if i change my mind I can do something later.

I havent had a chance to spin on them yet but i dragged my finger on the dots while the platter was spinning and it feels fine.

and yeah I dont care if they look like 1200's... thats kinda the point of doing mods no?
Emely Metz
I'm on the fence on the platter. It looks kind of cool, but now doesn't look like a Technics to me.
Ira Alsadi
Emely Metz
looks really neat. i wouldn't mind though as long as the powdercoat platter feels smooth & not abrasive to the fingers
Tashia Mcdunn
Just finished re-assembling the first one... here's a couple of pics:

DSC00171.jpgDSC00172.jpg
Tashia Mcdunn
I just picked them up... bases look exactly right. The platter im not sure about. It's not exactly what I expected but im not sure if its ugly to me yet.

I will post up pics when i get home.
Tashia Mcdunn
I paid 160, that included the sandblasting on the platter
Romelia Stankard
How much did powder coating cost?
Tashia Mcdunn
Powder Coater called and said that they're done... I might get a chance to pick them up today if no surprises pop up. Then a day or two to finish other mods and reassembly.
Ira Alsadi
When painting aluminum, you must always use an aluminum primer or other self etching primer.
Emely Metz
just tried scrubbing my platter off with a steel brush...the old paint doesn't stick onto it that much.
it was chipped in tiny places so i tried using Zebra paint marker to cover up the spots....not good.
then i decided to scrub them all, looks fine with the bare aluminum..but not sure what would be my way forward...

is primering important to paint the dots on the platter or any paint will do?
Tashia Mcdunn
for the platter no... it does not look like it was treated with anything from the factory... at least that's what the powder coater said to me
Ira Alsadi
Are you going to treat the aluminum with anything?
Tashia Mcdunn
alright... dropped them off at the powdercoaters. I'm getting the tops flat white and they're going to walnut blast (like sandblast) the platter so that its all metal, no black.

I believe it will look dope... will post pics if it comes out cool
Tashia Mcdunn
Never powder coated. Can't justify the price.

If you are getting your decks done, consider doing the platter yourself. Sand the top then hit with acrylic paint in a handful of thin layers. Sand the silver areas with 400 grit to remove paint. Then with 600 to remove lines, then buff to shine with 4/0 steel wool.
I'm going to go see a paint shop today and see whats up with just getting the pieces sprayed.

Another idea is to strip the platter down to bare aluminum and wet sand it to give it a little polish, that way the platter would be monochromatic... either way the base is going flat white.

will let you guys know which way i decide to go
Tashia Mcdunn
Originally Posted by Patch
Platter? Christ - you're talking about the magnet aren't you?

DON'T FUCK WITH THE MAGNET ON YOUR PLATTER!

Surely you wouldn't PC the platter anywy? You'd lose the strobe dots?
I wanted to do a whole matte white color scheme... the table top and the entire platter including the strobe dots. So it would be important for me that the finish and color matches between the two. So if its too difficult or impossible to pc the platter then I can get the two painted instead.

I just prefer PC since its a more resilient finish but if its too much trouble then im just changing my plan!
Tashia Mcdunn
Originally Posted by JSM
remove it ! surely your not going to try powder coating it when the tone arm, motor etc. are still attached ?
lol... cmon man! I took the turntable apart already!
Janyce Henningson
http://www.pimpmyturntables.com/prod...?id_product=82
Ira Alsadi
Never powder coated. Can't justify the price.

If you are getting your decks done, consider doing the platter yourself. Sand the top then hit with acrylic paint in a handful of thin layers. Sand the silver areas with 400 grit to remove paint. Then with 600 to remove lines, then buff to shine with 4/0 steel wool.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy