What's the best scratch mixer?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: What's the best scratch mixer?Reply
What's the best scratch mixer?
Posted on: 27.12.2012 by Earlean Mundstock
I see all the debates whether the DJM-T1 or Z2, but then their is also the Rane mixers and the DJM 909?

If you could choose one mixer, no cost at all. And why?
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by djproben
You're joking right? Have you used the Rane 56?
Danae Dumler
Originally Posted by Childrenatplay
I feel like the rane are nice, but at the same time it looks like 909 crossfader has a better cut
You're joking right? Have you used the Rane 56? Best scratch fader hands down, including inno-anything. The 909 is a solid mixer but its crossfader is not what makes it appealing at all. It's fine but as an all around scratch fader it's Rane all the way in my experience; followed closely by Ecler and Innofaders. I'm hardly a scratch pro though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I find the Rane fader smoother, more solid (and less clunky) in feel, and just easier to work with. And I trust it to last longer as well.

(Note - the fader in the 56 (actually all three faders) are magnetic faders; different from the Penny + Giles that they put in the Empath)
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by DannyAK
the 909 is pretty sexy and i would want it only for the things the T1 can't do.
What can't the t1 do? then 909 can?
Nadia Shelmadine
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I had my tascam mixer 2-3 years before the eclers came out... I believe they wanted to test them before they put their stamp/brand on it
Tascam XS-series came out around 2003-2004 (early 2000's anyway) and Ecler HAK320 and HAK300 came out late 90's.
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by djkidmt
rane 56s hands down the best. the newer 61 and 62 are great but more expensive.
I feel like the rane are nice, but at the same time it looks like 909 crossfader has a better cut
Nadia Shelmadine
Originally Posted by hamza21
What about the Tascam XS series (XS 3,XS 4 & XS8), they were built at same factory with the same specs that built Ecler mixers. Top quality mixers for half the price. I love my XS 3!!

No they weren't. XS4 and XS8 are rebranded Eclers, but XS3 has nothing to do with Ecler, glad you loved it though. XS8 = Ecler HAK320, XS4 = Ecler HAK300. XS3 is just like any Chinese made mixer with cheap Alpha-faders. XS4 and XS8 are great mixers and everything, but I wouldn't say XS8 is anywhere near THE BEST scratch mixer out there.
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by dj calkutta
ok,
first you gotta understand a few things,these kats in here are truly 'serious' DJ's and all the above advice is golden
j-ktta
I stated this thread just looking for advice, and i agree this community gives me the best responses. So i mean i see all this debates whether to get the Traktor z2 or the rane, or this/that. I was believeing picking up the z2, but then i saw the 909 probbaly is still a better scratch mixer, even though its not a built in traktor interface. Then it was more debates whether to get a vestax mixer or a pioneer.
So i'm believeing
Rane = DJM 909 > Vestax 05/07 > Traktor z2 / DJM-T1 >
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by djproben
You're joking right? Have you used the Rane 56?
Danae Dumler
You're joking right? Have you used the Rane 56? Best scratch fader hands down, including inno-anything. The 909 is a solid mixer but its crossfader is not what makes it appealing at all. It's fine but as an all around scratch fader it's Rane all the way in my experience; followed closely by Ecler and Innofaders. I'm hardly a scratch pro though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I find the Rane fader smoother, more solid (and less clunky) in feel, and just easier to work with. And I trust it to last longer as well.

(Note - the fader in the 56 (actually all three faders) are magnetic faders; different from the Penny + Giles that they put in the Empath)
Josephina Sabers
i own a rane empath with a innofader and love it! i use a rane ttm 57 at a bar i play at.
the layout seems like there is too much going on that i dont use (but i do use traktor not serato)
Dannielle Dingey
You can also control some effects with the line faders (the HP/LP work nice this way...)
I don't believe that you can map the T1 this way.

I love my 909 but it get's no use...

Solid advise in this thread but I agree with calkutta, you don't need the best scratch mixer to begin with...
You don't know how your technique is going to develop and if you buy premium now you will lose some nice coin when adjusting your setup....

Just buy a decent vestax, stanton, ecler, a&h, ... 2 channel mixer, you can find nice ones for 200-300 that are not beaten to death.
Save the Rane/909/... stuff for later when your shure this is what you wanna do.
Ginger Vinegar
the T1 doesnt have line fader curve adjusts, or any sort of onboard effects. the T1 is totally traktor dependant for it's effects
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by DannyAK
the 909 is pretty sexy and i would want it only for the things the T1 can't do.
What can't the t1 do? then 909 can?
Ginger Vinegar
i have the DJM-T1 and i love it, works great as a scratch mixer and great as a mixing mixer, and even has an X1 built in.. dont know why everyone hates it however.. the 909 is pretty sexy and i would want it only for the things the T1 can't do.
Nadia Shelmadine
Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL
I had my tascam mixer 2-3 years before the eclers came out... I believe they wanted to test them before they put their stamp/brand on it
Tascam XS-series came out around 2003-2004 (early 2000's anyway) and Ecler HAK320 and HAK300 came out late 90's.
Cristian Carmona
Rane 57 does have on board FX.
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by djkidmt
Tomiko Schellenberger
I recently purchased a 909 because it was the cheapest good scratch mixer I could find on Ebay, Seriously great mixer, faders are great, heaps of effects (not that I use them, but they are handy if you are not using traktor/serato) Although I'm already planning a upgrade of the cross fader to an innofader, for something just that bit better.
Ruthanne Heiman
Federico Vilas
Nadia Shelmadine
What about the Tascam XS series (XS 3,XS 4 & XS8), they were built at same factory with the same specs that built Ecler mixers. Top quality mixers for half the price. I love my XS 3!!

No they weren't. XS4 and XS8 are rebranded Eclers, but XS3 has nothing to do with Ecler, glad you loved it though. XS8 = Ecler HAK320, XS4 = Ecler HAK300. XS3 is just like any Chinese made mixer with cheap Alpha-faders. XS4 and XS8 are great mixers and everything, but I wouldn't say XS8 is anywhere near THE BEST scratch mixer out there.
Winter Ruggio
well,
like was stated earlier,the z2 is a bit new to say if its worthy,the 909 has a great fader and really great effects,the rane is great for everything but no effects.but if you are using traktor,you will have effects either way,but the 909 effects are in the mixer,so they are a bit better in my opinion.if you wanna skratch and have great effects,i would say 909.or the rane with traktor.all the mixers you have listed are all pretty dope man.so you cant really go wrong in that range.let us what you end up getting and we/i will help with whatever questions you may have.once you have your set up,your life will change.making music is the greatest feeling on earth.
stay up,keep me/us posted.
j-
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by dj calkutta
ok,
first you gotta understand a few things,these kats in here are truly 'serious' DJ's and all the above advice is golden
j-ktta
I stated this thread just looking for advice, and i agree this community gives me the best responses. So i mean i see all this debates whether to get the Traktor z2 or the rane, or this/that. I was believeing picking up the z2, but then i saw the 909 probbaly is still a better scratch mixer, even though its not a built in traktor interface. Then it was more debates whether to get a vestax mixer or a pioneer.
So i'm believeing
Rane = DJM 909 > Vestax 05/07 > Traktor z2 / DJM-T1 >
Winter Ruggio
ok,
first you gotta understand a few things,these kats in here are truly 'serious' DJ's and all the above advice is golden.but if you tell us what you wanna do and what set up you already have,maybe we can narrow it down.my main thing when i started in 1991 was money,so if money is no object,go bananas and get a rane or pioneer 909 with a controller 1 turntable or what-not.but one thing i know all DJ's have in common is we started with 'whatever we could'.so if money is an issue,get a mid range mixer,put an inno-fader or 3 in it and a cheap numark tt200 turntable or something and start your way into the secret world of sound manipulation.or maybe a controller like an S2 or something.point is,the answers are all here from some hard hitting folks.best of luck.after you get this gear,you gotta lock yourself inna room for at least 10 months,then you will sorta know what it can do.again,its all here already.
time to get down yo'.
j-ktta
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by photojojo
There is no such thing as a set answer in anything, especially when there are so many different people and styles.
Well i mean the pros and cons like of which mixer you are saying the best
Ex
-line fader start / curve
-Best built
-Crossfader
Leeanna Ayla
Woah, i'm getting a lot of diff rent responses. I thought it was just going to be a set answer, but that's awesome!
There is no such thing as a set answer in anything, especially when there are so many different people and styles.
Winter Ruggio
if you are all analog,get the 909 with the dope fader and great effects...since u dont use traktor or serato.
Cristian Carmona
Rane 57, its a 2006 release scratch mixer that is still heavly used. The NI mixers IMHO are still wet behind the ears and are not road or battle tested...Cute looking. But other choice will be the Vestax 05/07 etc and DJM-909
Federico Vilas
Originally Posted by thugsucker
Rodec Scratchbox is the best analog scratch mixer, period. Here are my other analog favorites:
2 & 3) Rane TTM56S, Ecler HAK360
4) Pioneer DJM707
5) Stanton SA5
stantons used to be pretty nice back in the day with the penny faders
Federico Vilas

my very first scratch mixer was a tascam xs-8, not as good in comparison to vestax 07 pro BUT decent enough to learn on and not to cheap that you can't do anything on it PLUS plenty of room to install an interface inside and a INNOFADER
Aleta Jevtic
Originally Posted by thugsucker
Rodec Scratchbox is the best analog scratch mixer, period. Here are my other analog favorites:
4) Pioneer DJM707
5) Stanton SA5

Nadia Shelmadine
4) Pioneer DJM707
5) Stanton SA5
Claire Auyeung
Vestax pmc 05 or pmc 07 are dated but still GREAT value for analog, even used. You can get one at a very reasonable price nowadays.
Federico Vilas
i've always liked vestax...in fact i'll have a 07pro 25th anniversary for sale here in about a week.

I like vestax b/c they can take some massive abuse and still work fine, easy to find parts for too and CHEAPER
Earlean Mundstock
Originally Posted by beaubryte
They're all great for analog scratching with turntables, No real winner here since they're all seriously good.
For digital use I would go for the T1 instead of the Z2.
I always check if the upfaders and crossfader aren't too close to each other.
Just try to Crab on the left corner while Ch1 fader is closed, you'll notice when there's no room for it.

But there's something about that overpriced Rane Sixty Two Z..
It's big, ugly and solid.

SixtyTwoZ.jpg
but i don't like the z2 mini fader, so i was believeing that the djm 909 would be more for me.
Claire Auyeung
They're all great for analog scratching with turntables, No real winner here since they're all seriously good.
For digital use I would go for the T1 instead of the Z2.
I always check if the upfaders and crossfader aren't too close to each other.
Just try to Crab on the left corner while Ch1 fader is closed, you'll notice when there's no room for it.

But there's something about that overpriced Rane Sixty Two Z..
It's big, ugly and solid.

SixtyTwoZ.jpg
Addie Engbrecht
Loved Vestax back in the day, when the 909 came out, that to me was King, then Serato and Traktor took over and the Rane 56 took over since the need for mixer built in FX wasn't as big of a deal. Honestly, Rane 56s, 57sl, 61, 62 or DJM 909 are all great scratch mixers, can't really put one over the other, the best one for u depends on what you need.
Ryan Schlich
Rane and Vestax
Earlean Mundstock
Woah, i'm getting a lot of diff rent responses. I thought it was just going to be a set answer, but that's awesome!
Halley Wurzer
I have the 909 but am believeing about moving to the Z2.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy