Technics 1210 m5g/Serato dilemma!!!

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Technics 1210 m5g/Serato dilemma!!!Reply
Technics 1210 m5g/Serato dilemma!!!
Posted on: 18.05.2013 by Olene Brinkerhoff
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this community and this is my first post. I'm stuck in a huge dilemma and it's driving me crazy. I was hoping I could get people's input on my situation.

So my current set up consists of 2 Technics SL-1210 m5g, an ecler nuo2 mixer, and M-audio Torq. What I really wanna do is buy Serato Scratch Live (either a used SL1, or a new SL2), and I also wanna buy active studio monitors that I can use when I practice, because my old monitors broke a couple months ago. I'm a college student, so I'm super tight with money right now. I've been out of the DJ game for an entire year because I've been so busy with school, but now it's my senior year and I wanna get back at it.

This was my idea, sell my Technics sl-1210 m5g's (both of them) and get back hopefully around 2,000 bucks considering mine are in really good condition. With those 2000 bucks I was gonna get serato, active monitors, Denon DJ DN-HC1000S controller to use with serato, and Stanton ST-150 (or maybe the str8-150s).

I know a lot of people believe this might be crazy, but I am VERY tight on money. And after doing my research it seems like stanton str8-150 and st-150 turntables are JUST AS good as the technics (yes, I know, I had a very difficult time comprehending that idea but after doing research that is what I found).

I just wanted to know what others of you would do in my situation, because this is literally driving me insane. I'm so confused!
Dedra Kreinbring
Make sure you go have a play on the Stantons and see if you like them or not.

If you believe you will regret selling them though, set up with Serato and buy some really cheap speakers (I use 5.1 computer speakers which cost me
Dedra Kreinbring

If you believe you will regret selling them though, set up with Serato and buy some really cheap speakers (I use 5.1 computer speakers which cost me
Dedra Kreinbring

Dedra Kreinbring

Dedra Kreinbring

Chet Gatts
Originally Posted by djfreshhh
Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried the stantons and they feel awesome but I'm also almost positive I'm gonna miss my grandmasters, which is why I'm believeing of just buying a used Traktor audio 6 or a used SL1. What do you guys believe? I know the SL1 is 16 bit which is kind of shitty but does that make a huge difference for DJing in bars and lounges that are fairly small?

And does anyone know how stable Traktor is? From what I understand 2.5 had all kinds of issues but what about the latest Traktor software?
I believe this is your best option. I run an SL1 as well with 1200s. The SL1 is 16bit but doesn't make much of a difference when you spin at any gig. The SL1 is the oldest of the serato line up but has been handling everything well. The only time you'll find a difference in sound is if your music itself is of low quality, say 192kbps and below but even at 192 it's still difficult to tell the difference.
I would suggest Serato especially if you're kinda new to DVS's. Slightly easier to use and pretty straight forward. From my brief encounter with Traktor, the various 'options' can be a little daunting and confusing. And so far the updates on Serato(Which are free) haven't surpassed the SL1 yet, which means basically everything works regardless if you have an SL1 up to the SL4.
And the last time I checked an SL1 can go as low as $200 but expect around $250-$350. Far cheaper and less heartache than selling your grandmasters.
Dedra Kreinbring

Olene Brinkerhoff
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this community and this is my first post. I'm stuck in a huge dilemma and it's driving me crazy. I was hoping I could get people's input on my situation.

So my current set up consists of 2 Technics SL-1210 m5g, an ecler nuo2 mixer, and M-audio Torq. What I really wanna do is buy Serato Scratch Live (either a used SL1, or a new SL2), and I also wanna buy active studio monitors that I can use when I practice, because my old monitors broke a couple months ago. I'm a college student, so I'm super tight with money right now. I've been out of the DJ game for an entire year because I've been so busy with school, but now it's my senior year and I wanna get back at it.

This was my idea, sell my Technics sl-1210 m5g's (both of them) and get back hopefully around 2,000 bucks considering mine are in really good condition. With those 2000 bucks I was gonna get serato, active monitors, Denon DJ DN-HC1000S controller to use with serato, and Stanton ST-150 (or maybe the str8-150s).

I know a lot of people believe this might be crazy, but I am VERY tight on money. And after doing my research it seems like stanton str8-150 and st-150 turntables are JUST AS good as the technics (yes, I know, I had a very difficult time comprehending that idea but after doing research that is what I found).

I just wanted to know what others of you would do in my situation, because this is literally driving me insane. I'm so confused!
Ervin Calvery
Don't sell the Technics! Just pick up an Audio 6/8/10.
Teresia Janusch
id pick up a set of 1210mk2's instead of the stantons if your hell bent on selling the 5g's...i had a pair long time ago...people may tell you the stantons are just as good...but they just aren't...
Audrey Pinda
Don't sell the 1200's. You'll regret it. I've seen used SL1's going from 150-250 in my area, and I know it depends on where you are... but I'd wait on the monitors. You won't ever be able to buy the 1200's again for the same price, and your decks are the most important part of the setup.
Olene Brinkerhoff
I believe I'm leaning towards purchasing a used SL1. I saw some of you said the quality difference isn't a HUGE deal and I'd like to believe the same, especially because I'm not really going to be DJing at any huge clubs. I'm more of a mobile DJ and I DJ at small venues like mainly bars/lounges and stuff. And all my songs are always at least 256 kbps and usually 320 kbps.

A couple of my friends who have had the 1200s for a while had tone arm issues where their anti skate stopped working and stuff...is this common? THey said they took good care of their turntables but I find that hard to believe.

Also, I'm still actually debating between getting SL1 or Traktor 6. For me, it can go either way because it's not like I'm so used to one or the other, I havent really used either of them much at all. So I'm still deciding whether to go with Native Instruments or Rane..any suggestions? I play mostly hip hop but definitely house/techno/trance and EDM also.
Normand Kaminsky
find a used SL1/SL2 and keep your 1200s. Then save up and by the monitors. Thats just my opinion. My 1200s are 14 years old and work as good as the day i bought them.
Alphonso Deitchman
You could also get a used Audio 4 DJ for <$100, and then buy Traktor Scratch for $110 new direct from NI.
Chet Gatts
Originally Posted by djfreshhh
Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried the stantons and they feel awesome but I'm also almost positive I'm gonna miss my grandmasters, which is why I'm believeing of just buying a used Traktor audio 6 or a used SL1. What do you guys believe? I know the SL1 is 16 bit which is kind of shitty but does that make a huge difference for DJing in bars and lounges that are fairly small?

And does anyone know how stable Traktor is? From what I understand 2.5 had all kinds of issues but what about the latest Traktor software?
I believe this is your best option. I run an SL1 as well with 1200s. The SL1 is 16bit but doesn't make much of a difference when you spin at any gig. The SL1 is the oldest of the serato line up but has been handling everything well. The only time you'll find a difference in sound is if your music itself is of low quality, say 192kbps and below but even at 192 it's still difficult to tell the difference.
I would suggest Serato especially if you're kinda new to DVS's. Slightly easier to use and pretty straight forward. From my brief encounter with Traktor, the various 'options' can be a little daunting and confusing. And so far the updates on Serato(Which are free) haven't surpassed the SL1 yet, which means basically everything works regardless if you have an SL1 up to the SL4.
And the last time I checked an SL1 can go as low as $200 but expect around $250-$350. Far cheaper and less heartache than selling your grandmasters.
Olene Brinkerhoff

Tesha Freudenstein
oooor you could try to find some used 1200MK2s. i know some people that picked 'em up for dirt cheap. silly trade, but if the money demands it.

just an idea.
Tamela Batara
I would believe you would regret selling the Technics.

If your that strapped for cash, why would you want to move to the most expensive DVS? I get that Serato is the weapon of choice in the states, but Traktor is pretty good, and a fraction of the price. Personally, I wouldn't sell the 5g's, and save up for a second hand Traktor DVS set-up.

Once you are finished your studies and making the big bucks, then make the move to Serato if you still feel you have to.

Also, I would just buy a cheap-ish home hifi instead of monitors just now too. IMO it's not worth selling the best of gear to downgrade when you are so close to being able to afford it all. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Dedra Kreinbring

Brunilda Kora
Sounds like a plan to me.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy