Planning on Picking up 1200s, Do These Look Alright?

Home :: Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topic :: Planning on Picking up 1200s, Do These Look Alright?Reply
Planning on Picking up 1200s, Do These Look Alright?
Posted on: 07.05.2013 by Gaynell Rydberg
I'm planning on picking up a pair of 1200s sometime soon. Can you guys tell me if these look fine? One of them is obviously more beat up than the other.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the wiretie around the tonearm. Anyone know why that's there?

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0027.jpgIMG_0028.jpg
Yong Aptekar
I'm with Proben, if you get them that cheap, and they work, the refurbishment will be worth it. If you have to do a lot of work to just get them working, maybe not. If they hold at 33, and there's a signal running from the needles to your speakers, I say go for it.
Danae Dumler
Yeah they look like shit, but for that price, I'd pick them up just to have a project and some experience rebuilding techs.
Gaynell Rydberg
Yea. I absolutely love doing restoration projects. Already spending a great deal of time on kabusa.com looking up parts and whatnot.

I'm planning on bringing an AC adapter to plug them into my car to see if they turn on.

Planning on buying a headshell and cartridge right now so I can test it out ASAP.
Shan Bauerly
Just my opinion. One obviously looks better than the other. That one is manky as hell. I question the upkeep on both, I mean, if a guy will let one get that bad, it stands to reason that the other isn't being looked after. Good price, for sure. Look up Viperfrank on you tube and get busy! Between Amazon and Ebay you'll have em smartened up in no time!
Brunilda Kora
They look like they've been in the garden shed for 10 years.

Make sure you see them working, or at the very least, powering up, before you buy 'em...
Gaynell Rydberg
Really? Shredded? Only one of them looks bad to me.

250 for the pair so it's still worth it.
Shan Bauerly
How much? They look shredded to me, but, rebuilding Techs is very rewarding. I'd definitely take em apart.
Delila Vandommelen
Considering all the gunk around the tonearm base, check whether the height adjust still works freely. You may be able to salvage it with WD40... or not.
Gaynell Rydberg
Ahh okay. Yea, definitely replacing the power cable.

Thanks!
Verona Spradlin
The wire around the tonearm is used to keep it from moving because the original clip was probably broken. The electrical tape around the power cable means that the cable was probably frayed and while it keeps it insulated, I'd look at getting it replaced. As long as the RCA cables transmit a solid sound, and it holds a steady dot at 33, it's a good buy.

<< Back to Oldschool - vinyl and disc Djs topicReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy