Kontrol S4/Mac Audio Routing

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Kontrol S4/Mac Audio RoutingReply
Kontrol S4/Mac Audio Routing
Posted on: 31.07.2013 by Lashawn Maycock
Evening all,

I've finally switched my venerable PC desktop to an iMac (2009), but still retaining the Win7 lappy for gigs.

I'm new to MacOS but very familiar with troubleshooting PC audio routing, and I've done the usual search for topics regarding Mac/S4/Audio/Routing however I can't quite find the solution to what seems a simple audio routing setup. For late evening (i.e. no monitor use) broadcasting purposes I tend to use the following routing (Win7):

S4 USB Port > PC USB2.0 Port
S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack PC Soundcard input i.e. line in
PC H/Phone Out (3.5mm jack) > Headphones

In terms of Audio Setup in TP2: Audio Device set to 'Traktor Kontrol S4' and the Built-In Soundcard set to 'Kontrol S4 WDM Audio' i.e. shared.

This results in a lovely blue speaker icon at the top of the TP2 window.

Basically with the Win7 setup listed above I'm able to control/play audio in TP2 from the S4 to PC Line In, broadcast this input, and monitor the output from the PC headphone output... lovely jubbly, happy Backtothefront

So forwarding on to the Mac:

I've set up the physical connections similarly to the PC config above i.e.

S4 USB > iMac USB Port
S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack to iMac Line In
iMac Headphones Out > Headphones

Within TP2 the Audio Device is set to Kontrol S4, however the speaker icon at top of the TP2 window is orange which obviously identifies a audio routing problem. I've checked within Sys Prefs in MacOS which is seeing an audio signal correctly to Line In however I cannot hear any audio out of the Mac built in speakers/headphones (when connected). Within TP2 itself the audio appears to be playing correctly, with exception of the 'orange lit speaker icon'.

If I switch the Audio Device to 'Built-In Core Audio' then the icon goes blue and I can now hear the tracks playing over the Mac speakers/headphones. In this situation however the hardware Main Vol knob has no effect on the output volume from TP2, which I know is independent from the 'inside TP2 Main Vol'. This essentially means the output I can hear is the audio via USB as opposed to the S4 RCA output which is what I'm after.

I've been through the MacOS utils to see what I can change audio wise without any luck. I suspect this is just a case of how it works, but I wondered if anyone had any solutions to being able to use the actual S4 RCA Audio Output through the Mac for broadcasting and monitoring purposes.

I hope I've explained it so it can be understood, thanks in advance, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

BTTF
Lashawn Maycock
Originally Posted by c0nsul
open your audio-midi utility (programs) and make an aggregated sound device of the s4 and your build in sound interface. select this aggregated device as yout raktor
Armando Waithour
open your audio-midi utility (programs) and make an aggregated sound device of the s4 and your build in sound interface. select this aggregated device as yout raktor
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Lashawn Maycock
Evening all,

I've finally switched my venerable PC desktop to an iMac (2009), but still retaining the Win7 lappy for gigs.

I'm new to MacOS but very familiar with troubleshooting PC audio routing, and I've done the usual search for topics regarding Mac/S4/Audio/Routing however I can't quite find the solution to what seems a simple audio routing setup. For late evening (i.e. no monitor use) broadcasting purposes I tend to use the following routing (Win7):

S4 USB Port > PC USB2.0 Port
S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack PC Soundcard input i.e. line in
PC H/Phone Out (3.5mm jack) > Headphones

In terms of Audio Setup in TP2: Audio Device set to 'Traktor Kontrol S4' and the Built-In Soundcard set to 'Kontrol S4 WDM Audio' i.e. shared.

This results in a lovely blue speaker icon at the top of the TP2 window.

Basically with the Win7 setup listed above I'm able to control/play audio in TP2 from the S4 to PC Line In, broadcast this input, and monitor the output from the PC headphone output... lovely jubbly, happy Backtothefront

So forwarding on to the Mac:

I've set up the physical connections similarly to the PC config above i.e.

S4 USB > iMac USB Port
S4 RCAs > 3.5mm jack to iMac Line In
iMac Headphones Out > Headphones

Within TP2 the Audio Device is set to Kontrol S4, however the speaker icon at top of the TP2 window is orange which obviously identifies a audio routing problem. I've checked within Sys Prefs in MacOS which is seeing an audio signal correctly to Line In however I cannot hear any audio out of the Mac built in speakers/headphones (when connected). Within TP2 itself the audio appears to be playing correctly, with exception of the 'orange lit speaker icon'.

If I switch the Audio Device to 'Built-In Core Audio' then the icon goes blue and I can now hear the tracks playing over the Mac speakers/headphones. In this situation however the hardware Main Vol knob has no effect on the output volume from TP2, which I know is independent from the 'inside TP2 Main Vol'. This essentially means the output I can hear is the audio via USB as opposed to the S4 RCA output which is what I'm after.

I've been through the MacOS utils to see what I can change audio wise without any luck. I suspect this is just a case of how it works, but I wondered if anyone had any solutions to being able to use the actual S4 RCA Audio Output through the Mac for broadcasting and monitoring purposes.

I hope I've explained it so it can be understood, thanks in advance, it is appreciated.

Cheers,

BTTF
Lashawn Maycock
Armando Waithour
Neville Blackinton
Hrmm...

I believe the reason no one has replied is that I don't believe anyone is routing their audio back through their computer built in audio interface.

However, I have messed around a bit with OSX audio and I believe you will want to check out Soundflower. Could be the solution you are looking for.

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy