Upgrade to Traktor S4 or CDJ's

Home :: NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talk :: Upgrade to Traktor S4 or CDJ'sReply
Upgrade to Traktor S4 or CDJ's
Posted on: 07.10.2010 by Arica Grow
Im currently using VCI-100SE. Because of the realese of s4,I really want to upgrade my gear (it is so f**kin' awsome!). On ther onther hand,with this amount of money(plus a bit more),I can also buy CDJ's which can also be used as a MIDI controller like Reloop Rmp3. Do you guys have some suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!
Leeanna Ayla
I don't believe you need to be able to play on any setup to be a real DJ. I do believe being comfortable on a wide variety of setups can be beneficial though.
Ninfa Larranaga
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
Do you really mean that statement ???
u dont believe so?
Tyisha Towle
The way I see it, if the trend continues that all DJs will have their own setups, the days of expecting 1200's or CDJS will sooner or later end. As it is, I've walked into clubs that no longer have turntables.

It would be nice to have a standard the same way the 1200 dominated every single club around the world.... but with mfrs vying for a piece of that standards pie, I doubt we'll see that. With regard to the comment about "real DJ should be able to play on any setup", I believe it already happens. The CDJ and DJM enjoy being the permanent install gear for a lot of clubs... A LOT! But I don't believe this implies that every DJ that can use them, actually own a pair. I haven't played more than 30mins (cumulatively) on CDJs, but I believe I could hold my own if I needed to. (minus the nifty tricks and stuff)

having said that... if the S4 is everything it claims to be, then I'd love to see one in every club.... but I believe Pioneer would have issue with that...and so goes the vicious cycle of next levelness... here we go again!
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Originally Posted by farhanashraf
^ a real dj should be able to play on any setup
Do you really mean that statement ???
Ninfa Larranaga
^ a real dj should be able to play on any setup
Arline Gruel
A club I played at wont let me plug my audio4 in, they dont want anyone messing with their mixer/serato setup
Ninfa Larranaga
^ not if u show them what u can do with it
Arica Grow
how about numark ns7? it has 9-in vinyl.
Fleta Fergusen
Originally Posted by OmniRoss
There was a thread recently about promoters and club owners not allowing the use of controllers.
I dont get it?? Am i wrong to figure that it would be cheaper for the club to invest in a digital set up then forcing djs to have a cdj set up?

And maybe I am wrong, but it just seems the digital dj has a lot more "control" (for lack of a better word) then the cdj. A cdj is more of a producer that makes his gig at home before his actual set then a controller-ist is, no? and im not knockin on the cdj, but if i am right about the cdj being more of a producer, then a controller-ist is a performer and an "artist" more then a producer.

BIG props for producers, cause that stuff is VERY complicated!
Alexandra Nerby
The crowd can't see what instrument you're using to mix, and I know they don't give a crap. Why it's an issue is beyond me.

If I was a club owner and someone could make mix awesome music by slapping his d!ck against a wall, I'd let him.
Annalisa Shogren
Originally Posted by Gryz
Do you really believe that even if your music is sick and you draw a nice crowd, a club will turn you down for using a controller over their CDJs?
There was a thread recently about promoters and club owners not allowing the use of controllers.
Cristian Carmona
Originally Posted by Gryz
Do you really believe that even if your music is sick and you draw a nice crowd, a club will turn you down for using a controller over their CDJs?
yes
Fleta Fergusen
I would like to believe that soon more and more clubs will turn digital. Seems to me to be a lot cheaper for them anyways, maybe not use the S4 as a standard of course, but have some kind of set up for the digital dj. I dont believe the cdj will ever be eradicated, but hopefully clubs will make room for the digital dj.

Nasty Nate
Alexandra Nerby
Leeanna Ayla
Another option would be S4 and CDJ's since you can use the S4 as a mixer.
Leigh Derbyshire
Personally I'd opt for CDJ 200s/400s and a nice mixer (hmmm... ecler evo 4/nuo 5 for internal FX) rather than a S4 if it were the same price, but that's just preference. For the cash the S4 is a very good option.

I'd at least look into getting some CDJ 200s to use with timecodes (or just routed through traktor as is) just so you can get used to using CDJs to beatmatch and stuff. Very useful if you plan to work in clubs. The S4 has the inputs for two so the only problem would be the cost.

Wait didn't I just post in this thread?
Leeanna Ayla
If you want to use your own gear at parties and gigs the S4 will be easier to transport than CDJ's and a mixer. If you want to be able to walk into a club and be comfortable using their gear then maybe the CDJ's. Although Dubba Dutch said the S4 jogs felt a lot like CDJ's from a competent scratchers viewpoint. So maybe you'll be able to learn beatmatch just as well with the S4.

I'm getting an S4 eventually.
Johnsie Kingrea
S4 for sure. Look at the functionality you're getting, especially if you already own Traktor. S4 with the samples and loop recorder is now like a Mini DAW. Easily create re-edits, build your own sample library.
Cristian Carmona
i would say CDJ's, S4 looks dope but once you get club gigs, cdj will help you more in the long run.
Nedra Fresneda
s4 all the way dude

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy