Beginner... Few questions ?

Beginner... Few questions ?
Posted on: 21.08.2013 by Karen Schilf
Im wanting to start out djing, only in my bedroom messing about having fun to start with using a Traktor s4.

Currently have a crappy laptop which is running xp and slow as hell.

So what laptop would be suitable to run traktor .? the new macbook pro ? or would a cheaper laptop be suitable and work just fine ?

If so any recommendations ?

Thanks
Karen Schilf
Think am going to buy a used apple laptop.

Apple MacBook Pro Specification:

Karen Schilf

Karen Schilf

Karen Schilf

Karen Schilf

Karen Schilf

Karen Schilf
Im wanting to start out djing, only in my bedroom messing about having fun to start with using a Traktor s4.

Currently have a crappy laptop which is running xp and slow as hell.

So what laptop would be suitable to run traktor .? the new macbook pro ? or would a cheaper laptop be suitable and work just fine ?

If so any recommendations ?

Thanks
Stella Raatz
I use an alienware m14x and it's honestly way more than I need. Then again it is nice being able to have autoCAD open for schoolwork, Fl studio open, and traktor open without glitches haha.

Honestly if you have an i5 processor and 4gb of ram you'll be fine. PC is just as dependable you just have to be on top of everything a little more. People believe pc's are unreliable because they get it and download everything they can on pirate bay (which is a lot for pc) and they get some software that wasn't ripped right and screws with all your other processes. If you aren't stupid with a PC you'll be fine.

However if all you're going to be doing is DJing then just get a Mac if in the budget. The battery life and charging cable connection are something I really wish my alienware had haha!
Warner Rotberg
Buy a Windows based laptop and optimise the shit out of it. Theres enough guides all over the net for setting them up with audio and theres also a script (featured on a very old DJTT blog post) which further lowers the laptops latency.
Charline Dye
I feel ya Scott. I was amazed at the difference in Traktor from my super tweaked, dual boot, script ran, PC to a similar spec'd HP Probook (same internals as a Mac) set up as a Hackintosh. Lower latency, no tweaking, and wifi doesn't affect anything.

The PC vs Mac debate doesn't need to be rehashed here. Just relating my own experiences which are like evening and day.
Karen Schilf
Yeah changed my mind ... Going to go for a new 13.3" mambook pro

2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM; 500 GB Hard Drive
13.3 inch LED-backlit display, 1280-by-800 resolution
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Should do the job just fine.
Raul Bartholomay
I am now in the same boat. I am looking for some sort of database where we all can post which pc laptop's run fine even with tweaks on a s4. I've had a S4 since release and gone through the whole pull your hair out audio drop outs and I stuck with it.

I bought an Alienware believeing it will laugh at the problems that everyone else was having but in the end I was sitting in little corner crying a little to myself and rocking forwards and backwards holding my favourite blanky, praying, hoping, wishing the audio drop outs away.

Like everyone else who owns a windows laptop I tweaked and willed and had sacred rituals to the the audio gods hoping things will work out. And they did. For a little over a year I had no problems. Alienware to the rescue. Rock solid.

Last week my alienware said enough. So like many I find myself in the market for a new laptop. Non the wiser what to buy I turn to this community for some advice. Sony vaio? Asus n76 seems to be doing well with Windows 8. Hp elite book as well. What about a lenovo y500? Samsung laptop's?

I could buy a second hand mac. Almost did but then I thought why? In this day and age apple do feel a bit 1%. Not really feeling like feeding the one percent atm.

So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bottom line is I need a semi decent laptop that will run a S4 and the spare change I would like to use on building myself a desktop that I can use to obliterate imaginary or pixilated enemies in the cyber space to relieve some of the stress if said laptop is useless at running a S4.
Alphonso Deitchman
That looks like a very outdated Mac so you wouldn't get a killer anything for that money (unless you're being ripped off).
Brunilda Kora
Ready...

Steady...

MAC Vs. PC!

GO!
Brunilda Kora
For the money you'd spend on that mac, you could get a much better spec'd laptop.

Also - if it's only for your room, you get an absolute KILLER desktop.
Charline Dye
That should work no problem.
Karen Schilf

Karleen Kuzel
I believe an upgradation to your laptop would suffice.
Charline Dye
I would say get a Mac. An older one if funds are low. There are windows machines that handle Traktor fine, but it can be a crap shoot. On the cheap, you could get an HP Probook used and make a Hackintosh.
Raphael Beyea
I believe that you don't have to buy an Apple, if you are only DJing bedroom, dual-core and 4gb RAM should work fine, too. But remind that it won't be so stable as Apple

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy