Big DJ's using the S4?

Big DJ's using the S4?
Posted on: 30.01.2011 by Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Hi All,

Firstly i have to say, great community , i've spent the last 2 hours reading some great posts on here!

I thought i'd throw this one open, I have to say i love the S4 and am in love with everything about it, BUT - i'm not seeing virtually any big DJ's using the S4.
I've seen a clip of dubfire and pete tong using it once. And that's it.

There are no clips or endorcements from anyone 'big'.

I would have thought NI would be showing videos on their site of a good selection of people using and talking about the S4, the likes of Carl Cox, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Carl Craig, Chris Liebing, Loco Dice, Dennis Ferrer etc etc - Bascially all DJ's that we know use Traktor.

They were quick to post videos and interviews in the past of dj's using traktor pro, yet there are no interviews or videos of anyone using the S4.

My thought is that it's not being used by people because of it's size and problems fitting it in dj booths around the world.
I'm not saying its impossible, I personally believe it's not that big, but i am concerned about having problems fitting it in dj booths.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this?
Merilyn Sellards
I'm addicted to mine, and I personally believe that other companies that messed up this year with their controllers are gonna seriously upgrade to compete with the s4's versatility and creative possibilities. So we will probably see so many awesome things next year, maybe they finally get it right! (at least much closer) Since the controllerism evolution is going so fast I doubt there will be time for the s4 to reach the level where a lot big DJ names will want to adopt this precise model.

Maybe from the feedback and user experience the DJ world sees with controllerism in the next years, more and more great artists will adopt them. By then we will probably have a mass produced S4X.... Arcade!? Not to mention improved Pioneer controllers since this was their first take as well...

I don't believe I want to see it as a standard, I hate standards... on the other hand there are many easy solutions for the space on these controllers that have been mentioned.... I believe the best are the stanton stand and other folding stands, even clamping ones....
Lavonne Machnik
Hi,
New on here but felt compelled to write my thoughts. Just traded in my analogue set-up for the S4; getting my head around it but like what I've seen so far. In my opinion though the vast majority of people in a club that are there to dance and have a good time couldn't give a flying fig what type of gear you're on as long as the music's good. And that's what it all really comes back to, dj's just play other people's music. Of course, there are good djs and there are some horrendously bad ones too.....and yes, technology has moved forward and it's good and right that we embrace it, if that's your thing. But at the end of the day it is about the music, the punters and playing records. Who cares how it's done....as long as there's some creativity and originality, surely that's most important!
Oh, like the site and the community , there's some good discussion...
Leeanna Ayla
It was one of these, but I don't know which. Space Rockerz maybe?

http://www.beyondwonderland.com/SOCAL/schedule.php
Caitlyn Scarantino
From the other thread:

Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by Tekki
I would rather believe him to be a younger crossversion of Will Ferrel and the Hoff!
Ok enough teasing, who is it?
Random X
I would rather believe him to be a younger crossversion of Will Ferrel and the Hoff!
Mariano Godina
It's not a young David Hasselhoff on the left is it?
Candy Vardy
Originally Posted by Tekki
There's also this duo:
Tekki forgive my ignorance, but who's that duo?
Random X
Nice!
Evonne Vik
Sky Blue from LMFAO DJ'd in my area recently and he was using an S4. His manager said he used to use a Xone 4D but this was way easier. He also had Maschine with him but they didn't hook it up.
Random X
There's also this duo:
Mariano Godina
Thats awesome!
Random X
It was even used by a few DJs on Beyond Wonderland:

As you can see, a complete DJTT setup, S4, MIDIfighter and a AiAiAi TMA-1
>more pics here

(And I do remember seeing that MIDIfighter being posted somewhere on our boards!)
Francina Decosse
I bet the S4 will be get much more adoption once Timecode support is enabled in TSP2. It will vastly help the transition to S4.

These pics with snoop - the S4 sits just great there, but appearance wise, they just miss the TTs . As freshfluke said on an NI thread recently - TTs are so sexy (or was it CDJs are so unsexy ...)
Carlee Pickard
You should checkout Traktors Facebook, the S4 is in a music video with the Game and Snoop Dogg.

Annalisa Shogren
Drum & Bass supremo DJ Fresh uses it.
Arcelia Siebeneck
DJ Teebee (drum'n'bass DJ) is sponsored by NI, uses the S4 for his podcasts I believe.
Mariano Godina
I got it! How about this - re mapping each jog wheel for the 4 extra cue points!
So on the jog wheel 12 o clock - hot cue 5, 3 o clock - hot cue 6, 6 o clock - hot cue 7 and 9 o clock - hot cue 8.
I really like that idea. That way i will have all 8 cue points easily accessable for each deck. i do like a lot of hotcues for some reason, suppose its just good fun to juggle a track up sometimes, get a bit of a live re-edit going on.
Marylyn Vine
Originally Posted by tomflynn
With fx popoff, i have trimmed down the fx i dont use in preferences, so i dont have so many to choose from, i always have left side in group mode and right side in advanced mode, and i got snapshots of all my effects in advanced mode just how i like them, then i just use shift + 'power on/of fx button' to cycle through them. I guess you've already got something similar down but i thought i'd just throw in how i got my fx set up.
Yes, I did exactly that at first, but it wasn't enough. Basically, I wanted super-buttons that call a combination of FX and then a modifier button that adds some dynamic by changing the parameters when pressed. The only way to achieve that was by using an additional controller.

Originally Posted by Nephew
You could always scoop up an LPD8 and map it out for the transport section for decks C & D, or grab two LPD8's so you can use FX unit 3 and 4 as well. Not the best solution, but I don't see how it wouldn't work
It's funny. LPD8 is exactly what I'm using as my secondary controller. I didn't buy it specifically for that, though. I've had it for a while to control cue points, looping and FX in Scratch Live software. I still use it with SL, but it's now also my complementary FX controller for S4.

And... Here goes the first "prototype". This is obviously just for laughs...
Breana Singerman
You could always scoop up an LPD8 and map it out for the transport section for decks C & D, or grab two LPD8's so you can use FX unit 3 and 4 as well.

Not the best solution, but I don't see how it wouldn't work
Mariano Godina
I know nephew, that would be the best thing for me personally, haveing a transport section in place of the jog wheels.
It would fit perfectly. that way i wouldn't have to keep switching to 'Deck C' or 'Deck D'.

I'd like that, might be a bit of a pipe dream at the moment.

With fx popoff, i have trimmed down the fx i dont use in preferences, so i dont have so many to choose from, i always have left side in group mode and right side in advanced mode, and i got snapshots of all my effects in advanced mode just how i like them, then i just use shift + 'power on/of fx button' to cycle through them.
I guess you've already got something similar down but i thought i'd just throw in how i got my fx set up.
Breana Singerman
Originally Posted by popoff44
No, I'm not having any major problems either. Just trying to believe of a way to make it better. I don't use jog wheels for anything other than browsing the library. It would be really cool if I could re-use the space occupied by the jog wheels for something else like more buttons and knobs for better control over FX units, for example. I miss the ability to call FX presets quickly. Right now I'm using a second controller with a bunch of buttons just to call pre-configured FX combinations.

Yes, I was believeing about those 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions on the jog wheel too. Haha! I wonder if those could be turned into buttons somehow...
I like your guys believeing, wonder how big the task would be to take out the jog wheels and just put another transport section in there
Cristian Carmona
why not just use the jog wheels to control the fxs?
Marylyn Vine
No, I'm not having any major problems either. Just trying to believe of a way to make it better. I don't use jog wheels for anything other than browsing the library. It would be really cool if I could re-use the space occupied by the jog wheels for something else like more buttons and knobs for better control over FX units, for example. I miss the ability to call FX presets quickly. Right now I'm using a second controller with a bunch of buttons just to call pre-configured FX combinations.

Yes, I was believeing about those 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions on the jog wheel too. Haha! I wonder if those could be turned into buttons somehow...
Mariano Godina
And me popoff. I wasn't believeing about totally taking out the jog wheel, although it did cross my mind, i was believeing about just remapping the jog wheels.
When you calibrate them it asks you to press down at 12, 3, 6 & 9 o clock on the wheel itself. I wonder if those 4 points could be used as 4 buttons.

Not sure really, might just be easier to leave it as it is as i'm not having any problems.
Marylyn Vine
This whole discussion made me believe of replacing the jog wheels on S4 with something more useful... Like more buttons/faders/knobs or maybe even two small midi controllers installed in place of the jog wheels. Touchscreens would be cool too! Hmmm... A potential mod?
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Some very good points well made here. Especially vangogo - couldn't agree more, all that matters is what you choose to use to deliver a great set.
Hailey Westen
Originally Posted by krakow

Missing the glaringly obvious here guys......Cabin Baggage Restrictions, and I am using Ryanairs example, (as they are the worlds biggest airline now) or as I call them "Robbin'Air"...........I cant speak for the US.....but here in Europe cabin baggage is strictly adhered to now........So bang goes ANY possibility of the S4 becoming a standard!.

+ 1

a very good point that...
Marylyn Vine
Originally Posted by VanGogo
But why does any of this really matter? What ever I have to rock the crowd or my bedroom with is all that matters to me.
You are absolutely right, it doesn't matter at all.
Ellyn Diotalevi
A few good points have been raised, but the most important reason for BIg name DJ's........and along with a few others is the glaring messup by NI, by not adhering to the international standard cabin baggage allowance!........

55cm x 40cm x 20cm is Ryanairs allocated cabin baggage.......and I do know that most jocks will no way put sensitive gear thru checked luggage........(ooh the days of my box regularly goin missing"

When I first heard about the S4.....excited..... YES! ..saw the dimensions....well pissed off.........

For management arranging bookings AND having to ask the promoter for an "ITEM SEAT" ( a seat reserved for a musical instrument) is a hassle/ excessive cost, so the DJ has to pay for his own item seat, (if he's not an arsehole) its bad enough a club paying for 2 seats normally (DJ & Manager/agent)..... but for 3 seats.......Hmm.

Missing the glaringly obvious here guys......Cabin Baggage Restrictions, and I am using Ryanairs example, (as they are the worlds biggest airline now) or as I call them "Robbin'Air"...........I cant speak for the US.....but here in Europe cabin baggage is strictly adhered to now........So bang goes ANY possibility of the S4 becoming a standard!.

Makes you wonder if there are some "working" Djs actually working for NI

for me this was obvious, for NI, a total fuckup!.........well it was a shame really
Charline Dye
A lot of good points have been brought up in this thread, and the identical one on NI, and I have yet to understand why it matters.

I've seen some big names (DJ and performance artists) using all different kinds of midi controllers, MPC's, sequencers, etc. A big name DJ can use whatever they want. What ever works for them is what they use and travel with.
I can see DJs becoming more like touring bands in the future where they travel with their controllers, and venues make the space for them to set up in. Wether the DJ uses turntables, cdj's, or 6 controllers. Eventually (it will be quite a few years) I believe the DJ who travels with a CD book or just their laptop will disappear.

There is probably never going to be an industry standard contoller because the best thing about most controllers is the fact you can customize the mapping to your liking. Even those who don't customize will like one controller's layout/workflow over another.

As far as the S4 goes, NI did not spend the money to R&D the S4 for the top 3-5% of the DJ market. If they did, it would be built like a tank, all the controlls would be easily replaceable, etc, and it would cost you your first born. Some of the top 3-5% DJ's will use it because they prefer the layout/workflow, portability, etc. and at $900(like NI wouldn't just give it lol) they can travel with 2 or more for back up. Some might just use it as a portable workstation to work out mixes in the hotel room.

The S4 was built for a good 50-70% of the DJ market. Starting with the bedroom/hobby DJ up to the touring DJ. With the sub $1000 list price that includes sound card and software, this clearly wasn't aimed at the big name DJ's.

As far as build quality goes, everything feels solid and "professional" grade but only time will tell. It's only been out 3 months, nobody knows what is going to fail or wear out if anything yet.

In a few years something new will come out that "changes the game" yet again. That might just be something like a new communications protocal that beats HID so all the midi and HID stuff will be "obsolete", but some will still use their old midi or HID controllers, or cdj's, or turntables because that is their instrument of choice.

But why does any of this really matter? What ever I have to rock the crowd or my bedroom with is all that matters to me.

(wow, I'm feeling a little ranty this morning. Caffine rage from the coffee I guess. Blame Starbucks)
Random X
Originally Posted by JesC
245 ibs!
Damn son, I'm in at 198.
Mariano Godina
I agree, my S4 is built so well, its the best thing i've bought in the DJ game since my 1200's years ago. It has genuinely got me excited about dj'ing again.

There are a lot of bags appearing on the market now that all say they hold an S4, UDG just got some new ones for the S4 (probably look the best i believe), and i feel totally comfortable using these bags to take it wherever in the world i'm playing.
All the bags ive seen so far provide padding/cushioning for the S4, not to mention my macbook pro.
It's a real breeze for me personally.
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Booka shade are also using the S4. Like karlos said before, things take time to catch on, esp with 'big' djs who are used to they're own setup.
As for carrying a spare S4, that clearly isn't viable, but I know a lot of people who take cd's as a backup just incase they're mac gets damaged/stolen etc so they can still do their set.
I really couldn't see my S4 getting damaged, it's built like a tank!
Breana Singerman
I would say that a lot of the "big name" contemporary DJ's are shying away from it because of the jog wheels and a lack of 4 deck access at one time. Hawtin himself has stated his dislike of jog wheels and how they are dated and not even needed.

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but Faderfox got it right with the 4midiloop in my opinion. I see this as being a more likely controller for the bigger jocks out there than a S4.
Cristian Carmona
Originally Posted by xtianw
JesC uses one.

He's pretty big. Bout 250 lbs i'd say.

245 ibs!
Candace Carmouche
JesC uses one.

He's pretty big. Bout 250 lbs i'd say.

Random X
Not everyone.

Same people would probably agree that the BCR is too plastic-y to carry around, while truth is, it is carried around by many.
Matha Obray
So it looks like everyone says the s4 isnt that great for a 'big time' dj..what do u believe is then?
Marylyn Vine
Originally Posted by photojojo
I don't recall seeing anything about traveling with their gear as a requirement in this thread. However Pete tong is pretty big and obviously he uses it plus Snoop's going to be in a video with one.
No, but we won't see S4 installed in clubs any time soon. Including it in a rider would be strange at the very least.

As for Pete Tong, he is probably getting paid for using it...

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy