Big DJ's using the S4?

Big DJ's using the S4?
Posted on: 30.01.2011 by Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Hi All,

Firstly i have to say, great community , i've spent the last 2 hours reading some great posts on here!

I thought i'd throw this one open, I have to say i love the S4 and am in love with everything about it, BUT - i'm not seeing virtually any big DJ's using the S4.
I've seen a clip of dubfire and pete tong using it once. And that's it.

There are no clips or endorcements from anyone 'big'.

I would have thought NI would be showing videos on their site of a good selection of people using and talking about the S4, the likes of Carl Cox, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Carl Craig, Chris Liebing, Loco Dice, Dennis Ferrer etc etc - Bascially all DJ's that we know use Traktor.

They were quick to post videos and interviews in the past of dj's using traktor pro, yet there are no interviews or videos of anyone using the S4.

My thought is that it's not being used by people because of it's size and problems fitting it in dj booths around the world.
I'm not saying its impossible, I personally believe it's not that big, but i am concerned about having problems fitting it in dj booths.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this?
Leeanna Ayla
I don't recall seeing anything about traveling with their gear as a requirement in this thread. However Pete tong is pretty big and obviously he uses it plus Snoop's going to be in a video with one.
Marylyn Vine
Originally Posted by Jason Cerna
it's called a technical rider. the touring dj specifies the gear he or she needs at the venue.
I know what a technical rider is. It has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I believe we've been discussing "big name" dj's who travel with their own gear . I was just saying that in my opinion they will not adopt S4 any time soon because of its low build quality.

I don't see how a technical rider would help with that either. Are you suggesting that a star dj would put "spare s4" in his rider just in case the one he travels with breaks? The whole point of using an all-in-one controller is portability and personalization. You don't get that with anything else.
Harley Hendzel
Originally Posted by popoff44
However, I just don't see how a "big name" dj that travels all over the world and does 5 to 6 gigs a week all in different places would be able to rely on S4 not to brake somewhere in the process.
it's called a technical rider. the touring dj specifies the gear he or she needs at the venue.
Mariano Godina
This is a video of Pete Tong playing my track on the S4 at Gatecrasher :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfHjh9-WwQE

And this is him at Sankeys in Manchester using the S4 last week -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-Py1VyLVw

And again at Club Yalta in Sofia -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHq1o...eature=related
Nedra Fresneda
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=47407107527
Matthew Yanagisawa
While I hardly follow big DJ's (I tend to mix less famous ppl) I have heard that big DJ's may ask in advance for certain gear to be available when gigging. I have some promoter friends and stories about certain DJ asking for pioneer stuff and certain mixer etc aren't rare. I mean if you use DVS it makes a whole lot of sense to just travel with your laptop with all the tracks and settings already there (and a external HDD for bkp ).

Also it's easier to stick to what you are familiar with and it's almost guaranteed to be there when you arrive rather than carry some midi stuff around that can get broken or stolen. unless it's some DJ doing Live PA or playing around making stuff on the fly then I cant see them carrying their own stuff.
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
That's cool popoff. I must say I haven't experienced a bad thing with it myself but obviously people have different opinions on things.
I believe all that matters is what works for yourself.
Marylyn Vine
Just to make myself clear... Yes, I'm comparing S4 to other "professional" dj gear I've worked with in the past, i.e. Pioneer mixers, Technics turntables, Pioneer CDJs, SL3, etc.

In my opinion, S4 is pretty good for a beginner dj, hobby dj (a.k.a. controllerism enthusiast), a pro dj who doesn't travel a whole lot, etc. However, I just don't see how a "big name" dj that travels all over the world and does 5 to 6 gigs a week all in different places would be able to rely on S4 not to brake somewhere in the process.

There are many factors that contribue to that opinion such as the fact that it's made of plastic, jog wheels and some knobs are loose and don't feel reliable (the best example are the headphone knobs on the front; I'm always afraid they will break off), pretty much all buttons on my unit feel different (some have a click, others press softly, etc.), faders, knobs and other critical parts are not easily replaceable (so if you are on the road and something breaks, there is no easy way to fix it), one of the FX assign buttons on my unit broke and started skipping in the first 30 days of very light use (I'm in the process of getting that fixed right now), etc.

As I mentioned before, S4 is still a step in the right direction for me and many others. I'm definitely keeping mine for now, but if something better is available in the same price range in the future (near or distant as I'm not really in a rush) then I will most likely be switching.
Mariano Godina
I have decided myself to embrace the S4, mostly because its easy to setup and use. I also agree with whats been said already - using traktor scratch pro or traktor pro is such a pain because you have so many cables and usb leads to be plugging in.

I believe the build quality of the S4 is superb, It feels great, its really light, its tough & strong. I guess it's just about opinions really.
The biggest bonus for me is that i have everything i want on one plate - no more jumping from X1 to the mixer, to the cdj's, back to the X1 etc etc. I have all that i want to control at my fingertips 7 that is a real bonus for me, it allows me to get deep and creative without my arms jumping all over the booth trying to work the mixer at the same time as say the FX on an X1.

I'm not saying anyway is right or wrong at all, i don't see they're as being a right or wrong way. The only thing that matters is you and what works for you. What will be easiest for you to set up, what will give you most control etc etc.

Great thread guys!
Julissa Serrone
Originally Posted by Coldfuzion
Why do you say it has a poor build quality? It seems sturdier then the VCI to me. I used the VCI at the DJTT store and it seemed the build quality was lower than that of the S4.

Is that just me? Or does everyone agree with Popoff? I'm jus curious as I am new to the scene.
I believe the build quality he is comparing it to is a DJM-800/Xone92 and CDJ2000's. I'd say the only "controller" that is comparable is the Xone 4D, but it's also 2500.00

I believe the S4 knobs, faders, etc. all feel great and just as good many mixers -- but if your used to playing on a Xone 92 and CDJ's it might feel like a downgrade in quality. Also there's a sense of trust in standard/typical hardware when charging what some of the big names charge to play.
Larhonda Veuleman
Honestly, I believe it's mostly economics.

I was playing on a pair of X1s and a friend's Xone for a festival last week. It was a nice setup: and if you're a big name DJ then A: you get to specify your mixer-of-choice on your rider, B: you can afford to buy very expensive gear, and C: someone else does all the wiring for you.

In that situation, the more expensive and modular options make more sense, as a lot of the downsides of such setups are negated. I would use a Xone 92, an Audio8, 2x X1s and 2x CDJ2000s if I had money to burn, but the S4 is almost-as-functional and 1/8th the price.

The big win of the S4 is that it's a very capable 4-deck setup for a very low price compared with CDJ+mixers or equivalent, but the appeal here is for a different group.
Carlee Pickard
Originally Posted by popoff44
That said, S4 is unlikely to become a new "standard" because of its poor build quality. It simply doesn't have the sturdiness/reliability most star dj's would require.
Why do you say it has a poor build quality? It seems sturdier then the VCI to me. I used the VCI at the DJTT store and it seemed the build quality was lower than that of the S4.

Is that just me? Or does everyone agree with Popoff? I'm jus curious as I am new to the scene.
Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by smittten
I wear a 4X so when it comes to big DJs using the S4 I believe we have this covered. Rest easy people

Werd! Big DJ here too! LOL
Nedra Fresneda
I'm 1,97mt, S4 in my sig, I guess I qualify as a big DJ
Len Lukawski
I wear a 4X so when it comes to big DJs using the S4 I believe we have this covered. Rest easy people
Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by deejaysoul
True, I personally like to see and hear what the pros are using and what they believe of certain products. Like toevening Dennis Ferrer and the Martinez Brothers, are performing at Hudson Hotel NYC, I assuming with the new version of Traktor S4 Pro and Audio10.
OOH yea...I forgot about that party, you going?
Karolis Petrauskas
Originally Posted by deejaysoul
I feel the same you do on this topic, I already own an Audio8 and two X1s, and would prefer to use external 4 channel mixer (which isnt always available at some of my gigs, unless I bring my own), but it is pain to connect all 4 RCAs to mixer and not trip up the dj before me. On the other hand, Im in the process of order a S4, which seems be a great all in one solution and I already know what to expect just using a controller and the ease of setting up once I can find the space in the booth. But my dilemma, should I spent the money on the S4, since I already have great gear, but dont want to deal setup issues and awkward transitions when working with other djs and hope there's a decent working 4 channel mixer to boot.

I believe carrying two X1s with carrying cases and an Audio8 takes up just the same room in a bag, but in the booth not so much.

I guess when I really believe about the ease of setup, is the main reason to get the S4, one USB cord, one rca and power cord. And then its optional to add a X1 to mix, thats unless NI or somebody else came out with something like the M4-concept mixer, shown else where in this community and have the unit lock up two X1s to it.
Yo Deejaysoul...I just got one, it's so much fun. When we demo'ed the unit at Guitar Center we merely scratched the surface. Beats the pants off of my VCI-300.
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
I couldn't agree more popoff. I believe it's important to embrace new technology if it's how you want to do things. As you say, one day it could be you they are looking at for guidance.
Marylyn Vine
Originally Posted by elastic
I completely agree Popoff. The most important thing is using what you believe is right for you and embracing that. I fully support that attitude...
Plus, you have to remember that if you are truly serious about where you want to take your dj-ing next then you might just be the next "big name" yourself...

Then everyone will turn their heads to you and say "Hey! That guy is famous now and he's been using controllers all along. I guess I'll start using a controller too" Now you see how this easily becomes a question of perception more than anything else.
Random X
Rick Angel used an S4 at this weekends Awakenings party!

Nathanial Fiebelkorn
I completely agree Popoff. The most important thing is using what you believe is right for you and embracing that. I fully support that attitude.
Karlos i also agree, many 'star' dj's are slow to take up new things sometimes, espically as like you say a lot of them come from a 'traditional' dj'ing way of believeing.
I know of a few very big dj's who have the S4 in their studios but haven't found the time to really get to use it yet. (have a look on Sebastien Legers community , he say's it so himself)
Like you say, things take time, people adopt whatever they feel comfortable with.
It's good to see people like dubfire, modeselektor, pete tong all using it. I'm sure as time goes on (and people see how much easier it is to set up an S4 compared to TSP) it will gain major support.
Caitlyn Scarantino
True, I personally like to see and hear what the pros are using and what they believe of certain products. Like toevening Dennis Ferrer and the Martinez Brothers, are performing at Hudson Hotel NYC, I assuming with the new version of Traktor S4 Pro and Audio10.
Marylyn Vine
Forget the big names. Just use what you want. Many "famous" dj's use variations of a DVS system because that's what they have been doing for years and that's what they are used to. Integrating a controller like S4 into their performance may take a little bit of time. I'm confident that eventually controllers like S4 will be part of any "normal" dj setup. That said, S4 is unlikely to become a new "standard" because of its poor build quality. It simply doesn't have the sturdiness/reliability most star dj's would require.
Caitlyn Scarantino
Personally, i believe it's a better solution to use the S4 than 2 X1's and the Audio8. Only because with the audio 8 you have to plug in 4 pairs of RCA/phono cables into the back of the mixer in the booth.
Not to mention unplugging some stuff from it if there isn't enough free channels for you. This can really piss people off, e.g the previous dj finishing his set or the sound engineer looking after the booth.
At least with the S4 you just plug in 1 pair of RCA's to a free channel on the mixer and that's it.

At the moment though, i really am torn between playing out with the S4 or 2 X1's and the Audio 8 - Main reason being i don't want to seem a pain in the ass to people by having this big'ish controller to find a space for (S4) OR having to be plugging loads of leads in the back of the mixer (audio8).

Both have there good & bad points. Just haven't finally decided on which one to go with yet.
I feel the same you do on this topic, I already own an Audio8 and two X1s, and would prefer to use external 4 channel mixer (which isnt always available at some of my gigs, unless I bring my own), but it is pain to connect all 4 RCAs to mixer and not trip up the dj before me. On the other hand, Im in the process of order a S4, which seems be a great all in one solution and I already know what to expect just using a controller and the ease of setting up once I can find the space in the booth. But my dilemma, should I spent the money on the S4, since I already have great gear, but dont want to deal setup issues and awkward transitions when working with other djs and hope there's a decent working 4 channel mixer to boot.

I believe carrying two X1s with carrying cases and an Audio8 takes up just the same room in a bag, but in the booth not so much.

I guess when I really believe about the ease of setup, is the main reason to get the S4, one USB cord, one rca and power cord. And then its optional to add a X1 to mix, thats unless NI or somebody else came out with something like the M4-concept mixer, shown else where in this community and have the unit lock up two X1s to it.
Desiree Logie
Modeselektor's using it.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Theres a big difference between:
Superstar Djs that are gigging with the S4 & Superstar DJs that have got an S4.

I guess that more will come out of the woodwork over time cus they are certainly asking for them... I know a there are many big names that are still pretty new to digital so the S4 will seem like the damn space shuttle in complexity.

Give it time and i believe we will see many more.
Its only been around for 2 months or so and DJs can be pretty slow on the uptake of new technology (especially ones from a traditional background)
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Interesting point photojojo. I'm not sure i agree totally, but i can see where you're coming from.
I'm excited to see what this announcement is tomorrow from N.I.
I believe they're going to announce the new audio interfaces & updated versions of Traktor pro and Traktor Scratch Pro (like in that dennis ferrer video not so long ago).
Hopefully the S4 software will get a little make over too.
Leeanna Ayla
I really don't believe the S4 is aimed at big international DJ's, but more so to the common DJ that has either a residency where he has more say about what's in the booth, mobile DJ's that set up on their own, and bedroom DJ's.
Nathanial Fiebelkorn
Yes i agree maybe people want to feel comfortable using it before taking it out on the road, however, i'm sure NI sent out a lot of S4's to the top DJ's in different genres way before they were availible to the public, so that they could get used to them and be showing them off to drum up hype. But as yet nobody seems to be using it. There must be some reason.

Personally, i believe it's a better solution to use the S4 than 2 X1's and the Audio8. Only because with the audio 8 you have to plug in 4 pairs of RCA/phono cables into the back of the mixer in the booth.
Not to mention unplugging some stuff from it if there isn't enough free channels for you. This can really piss people off, e.g the previous dj finishing his set or the sound engineer looking after the booth.
At least with the S4 you just plug in 1 pair of RCA's to a free channel on the mixer and that's it.

At the moment though, i really am torn between playing out with the S4 or 2 X1's and the Audio 8 - Main reason being i don't want to seem a pain in the ass to people by having this big'ish controller to find a space for (S4) OR having to be plugging loads of leads in the back of the mixer (audio8).

Both have there good & bad points. Just haven't finally decided on which one to go with yet.
Hailey Westen
welcome to the community s and a very good topic to start with too

you would believe NI would really want a really big name or two to promote the S4
sure the vids from shiftee were enough to start the hype machine rolling and the rountine vids Ean did is what sold the S4 for me.

but kinda strange the dont have some big international club djs behind it...
kinda a lost opportunity if ya ask me,
but then again its not long out and most pro djs want nothing more than stability in there set up, so maybe the S4 is just a new to be trusted in there eyes.(yet)

time will tell... time tells all

them guys dont exactly earn peanuts playing to monkeys
Random X
Oof, there are some quite big players using the S4 already.

But why is there a need. The most important thing is DJs need to find a controller that matches how they like DJing.
Julissa Serrone
also want to add, if I was a professional DJ using Traktor or sponsored by NI I would probably prefer to use 2 X1's and a mixer of my choice over the S4. Less to carry, more controls over effects, etc.
Charline Dye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36MhEnTeN4
Julissa Serrone
porter robinson
Jerome Burruss
Welcome to the community s my man.

And I 100% agree with what padi said.
Nedra Fresneda
Hi All,

Firstly i have to say, great community , i've spent the last 2 hours reading some great posts on here!

I thought i'd throw this one open, I have to say i love the S4 and am in love with everything about it, BUT - i'm not seeing virtually any big DJ's using the S4.
I've seen a clip of dubfire and pete tong using it once. And that's it.

There are no clips or endorcements from anyone 'big'.

I would have thought NI would be showing videos on their site of a good selection of people using and talking about the S4, the likes of Carl Cox, Luciano, Richie Hawtin, Carl Craig, Chris Liebing, Loco Dice, Dennis Ferrer etc etc - Bascially all DJ's that we know use Traktor.

They were quick to post videos and interviews in the past of dj's using traktor pro, yet there are no interviews or videos of anyone using the S4.

My thought is that it's not being used by people because of it's size and problems fitting it in dj booths around the world.
I'm not saying its impossible, I personally believe it's not that big, but i am concerned about having problems fitting it in dj booths.

I just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this?
S4 is not for everyone and most of the DJs you mention do DVS or use modulars setups tailored to their needs.

Only one I know of is Pete Tong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjDxvG60vk

Richie already stated he'd rather use the jog's real state for something else (in general) so i doubt he likes the s4 as a whole

<< Back to NI - Native Instruments S4/S2 Controller talkReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy