Step Sequencer in Traktor (with Remix Decks)

Home :: General Discussion :: Step Sequencer in Traktor (with Remix Decks)Reply
Step Sequencer in Traktor (with Remix Decks)
Posted on: 12.07.2013 by Brendan Andrascik

old prototype

One of my "dream' routines is to mix tracks and live percussive loops in a Richie Hawtin/Chris Liebing style, but to do so it would mean syncing Ableton with Traktor (or using just Ableton), my answer to this was something that Native Instruments should have done with the Kontrol F1 in the first place, a step sequencer. Static loops can get quite boring after a while compared to the ability to rhythmically modify them in real time.
Here I present you the best of two worlds.
With the latest Traktor 2.6.2 update I was able to MIDI sync and MIDI map each channel to a Remix Deck slot. Of course the sequencer itself is hard coded into the controller.

What do you believe about all this? Maschine and Push are great, but if they wasn't so damn expensive.. They definitely should integrate this into Traktor, way much more fun!

edit:

this project evolved and now with more advanced features like 16 voice 32-step sequencer with 64 uneque patterns permanently stored on the device. it is completely open source and i still have a very limited number of devices available for sale at the projects website http://digitalwarrior.co/
Lewis Stumpf
PCB is here, waiting on parts from Sparkfun and RS now.
Thought I'd draw up a little enclosure and some custom knobs in the mean time, will 3D print and lasercut when I get to work next.
DigitalWarrior_3dPrint_2.jpg
Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by Sambo
The advantages of having the F1 act as a step sequencer was completely lost on me until I watched that video. Now I want it.

And I want it NOW.
Then there is only one place for you sir http://digitalwarrior.co/shop
Brendan Andrascik
the project is now open source! hurray for techno hippies, happy hacking!
http://digitalwarrior.co/stuff/source

I also have an extremely limited number of devices left for sale! hurry up if you want to be one of the 20 people on earth (possibly in the entire universe!!!) who has one
http://digitalwarrior.co/shop
Loyce Mekonen
Holy crap... what to do what to do... I'm possibly a customer for the Digital Warrior (no offense... but sounds a lot like the Midi Fighter lol). I'm almost sold on this... just need to sell my F1...

This controller is just ACE! Great idea, awesome job Ghztomash!
Lynetta Stanislav
Karlos what the latest with this

QUOTE=Karlos Santos;659893]As Step Sequencer within Traktor for an F1 ? Sure why not. Expect something online soon ;-)

(btw - I have no internet connection at the moment otherwise I would post something more elaborate)[/QUOTE]
Emelina Chillson
if this comes available for sale, ME WANT!
Brendan Andrascik
holly mother of..! I wanna see that made asap!
Lynetta Stanislav
I would buy the enclosure if make it looks very cool to go with a cool controller
Lewis Stumpf
PCB is here, waiting on parts from Sparkfun and RS now.
Thought I'd draw up a little enclosure and some custom knobs in the mean time, will 3D print and lasercut when I get to work next.
DigitalWarrior_3dPrint_2.jpg
Ronald Verellen
So if you have the tsi could you use a f1 or maschine? just curious don't need a digital but would pay or donate for the mapping to use a remix deck as sequencer
nayit ruiz jaramillo
As Step Sequencer within Traktor for an F1 ? Sure why not. Expect something online soon ;-)

(btw - I have no internet connection at the moment otherwise I would post something more elaborate)
Lewis Stumpf
Roger that!
Enclosure files would be sweet. I have access to a 3D printer at work, so I might try and do some sort of custom case for it.

Should be fun.
Brendan Andrascik
Shipped!

Thanks man!
1. Those are RG encoders, but you can make 3 colors with them, red, green and yellow if you mix both. ( these guys https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10596 )
2. any wire just to connect the two holes would do. I was going to put a 1k on the red LED of the encoder because it's brighter than the green to make a more yellow color, but mistakenly put it on the green LED instead. Anyway the encoder LEDs are on PWM pins so their intensity can be controller from the code.
Lewis Stumpf
Quick Question (Sorry for the double-post)

1. Are they really RGB encoders? The board only shows 4+3 holes on the pictures, but the only RGB encoders I've been able to find (Sparkfun sell them) are 5+3.
2. Are the 0Ohm resistors really 0Ohm?

Thanks
Lewis Stumpf
Bought.
I have some rubber pads from sparkfun lying around, so I figured what the hell.

If you need any hands with 3D or any type of graphical desing / layout / CAD / whatever do speak up. I would be more than happy to help
Brendan Andrascik

here's a short feature overview video
and a new performance shot

Brendan Andrascik
Originally Posted by Sambo
The advantages of having the F1 act as a step sequencer was completely lost on me until I watched that video. Now I want it.

And I want it NOW.
Then there is only one place for you sir http://digitalwarrior.co/shop
Jetta Drenzek

And I want it NOW.
Brendan Andrascik
Yes it should be compatible with your S4, it all depends on what mapping you use. The step sequencer mapping takes up one of the remix decks.
Karen Schilf
This would be comparable with my S4 an mac right .?

Let us know how it is .!
Lynetta Stanislav
I have one coming should be here tomorrow , can't wait to give it a go.
Karen Schilf
Impressive .! May have to invest in one
Brendan Andrascik
ok here's four of these guys in action

also instead of that form you can now directly order from the newly setup website http://digitalwarrior.co/
Belen Wermes
you're a wizard. so dope
Emanuel Kepics
or simply have 'Maschine decks' in traktor ... yes please ... just hurry up ... don't know why they didn't do this before 'remix decks'. Having used both Remix decks and Machine in sync ... Machine simply smokes the remix decks. Swing control, step sequencing, interface ... it just smokes them ... ( remix decks and F1 are toys by comparison, even before Maschine 2.0)

also @OP re MIDI sync: i have good results on my system. MIDI clock out to Maschine is rock solid and super tight.

however, i'm only using two pairs of Trakor audio outputs (main/monitor). Also can't I run mashine through a 'live input' deck. if i do the sync is so bad it's unusable. Maschine audio has to be mixed outside the Traktor environment and everything is solid as.

Maschine Decks .... come on!
Rosina Steinkuehler
Originally Posted by ghztomash
Like father, like son (just much better). Second generation
DSC03910.jpg
Looking great! Are you planning on selling these gems / build to order?
Jamee Catelli
Thanks a lot for such an outstanding post, the material posted were unbelievably exciting and necessary. I
Brendan Andrascik
Like father, like son (just much better). Second generation
DSC03910.jpg
Lewis Stumpf
Any kind of sequencer that will spit out Midi can be mapped to Traktor.

A fair few producers use an old 909, a Machinedrum or Maschine to program drums on the fly, and just route the audio through their mixer or into Traktor.

I've seen Jeff Mills use his 909 routed through through a channel on his PMC-500.
Hawtin uses a Maschine in step mode running off of a second laptop (I believe?).

The key here is that all the audio comes from inside Traktor, all you need is something that can send midi.
I've managed to do it with the Lemur app on an iPad recently, if anyone wants to see.
Kellie Myrum
It sure is possible to map any controller to the software that has step sequencer built in which Traktor is not. It takes insane mapping to achieve it in Traktor right now.
Armando Chrystal
a while back I saw DJ Endo tweet about how he got the step sequencing function working on the F1 so Im pretty sure its possible
Jeanice Karlstad
Originally Posted by safefire
Very nice!!!

Ever since the remix decks got unlucked for midi mapping I've been wondering how to do this!

Heads up the Ean and the DJTT crew, this would be MASSIVE if written into the Midi Fighter firmware
has anyone been able to get this on a midifighter spectra yet
Ellsworth Moroni
Hey I love the idea.
When will you be able to give an answer to the form we filled ?
I mean, I want this badllllyyy
Rosina Steinkuehler
Was reading that this can come out of sync from time to time so how about integrating midi clock recv into the firmware?
Warner Rotberg
Top class. I tip my hat to you sir!

The samples you used, where were they from out of interest?
Lynetta Stanislav
Message sent cant wait to get a hold of one of these
Bunny Sockel
So awesome
Brendan Andrascik
for now any one interested pre built units just fill in this. It will help me keep track of it

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uBG...VBsGY/viewform
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by hellnegative
Holy fuck mate! I just realized a reason to bust out one of my old electribes. Collecting dust they will no longer!
Good luck synching them up to Traktor though. Not very reliable in my experience (but I have to admit, I only tried once or twice, maybe there is a way to get it running reliably).
Lewis Stumpf
Very nice!!!

Ever since the remix decks got unlucked for midi mapping I've been wondering how to do this!

Heads up the Ean and the DJTT crew, this would be MASSIVE if written into the Midi Fighter firmware

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy