*BUILD LOG* Traktor Controller - Livid Brain

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: *BUILD LOG* Traktor Controller - Livid BrainReply
*BUILD LOG* Traktor Controller - Livid Brain
Posted on: 22.09.2010 by Williemae Trau
Hi all. I thought I'd share my DIY project. I've been slowly collecting parts and have finally started building.

My goal was to design a controller around a Livid Brain that could control 2 decks in Traktor. I mix externally with a 2 channel mixer so my controller will only be used for cue points, effects, transport, loop control, etc..

In addition to the Brain, I have purchased arcade buttons, nifty button pads from sparkfun, linear and rotary potentiometers and some other odds and ends.

The panels are made out of G-10 Fiberglass. All holes have been cut with a drill and a dremel...

Enough rambling. Here are some pictures:
Williemae Trau
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
That's fuckin sweet. Maybe make the lid removable though?
Yeah.. definitely use removable "slip-off" hinges.. i'm pretty sure they make them for flight cases
Williemae Trau
Originally Posted by oscarjmg
The problem with leds is that i havent found a diy controller that works with multicolor leds like the apc40, 20 and launchpad...

But you might use diferent colors per function...
In theory you could use 3-color led's with the brain, but each light would take up three LED outputs in the matrix. The brain gives you 42 matrixed LED's but if each one was three colors you could only have 14 total... Not very practical..

*EDIT*
I misspoke. The brain supports 48 matrixed LED's. This would allow for 16 3-color LED's
Aurea Kager
[QUOTE=

@oscarjmg-

That looks like a nifty controller.. I like it a lot. It also takes advantage of the maximum number of buttons available in an 8x8 button matrix (assuming you pair it with another identical controller) Any thoughts about LED's?[/QUOTE]

Well yeah mate i spent 3 months doing a full 4 deck mapping for TP on the APC40 very complete mapping so i knew that the buttons matrix its very usefull for simple tasks.

Here
Yong Aptekar
Make sure you get to and from gigs with handcuffs holding the briefcase to your wrist
Pretty cool though, I wanna see some performance videos.
Yer Cerri
Great log! It's good to finally find a project online that's gone from circuit board to complete unit. I believe I'll give it a go now - thanks for sharing this with us.
Chau Honrado
yea in full agreement with that case!

an glad you made the lid removable, you wanna be able to show those controllers off!
Denisse Franklyn
Oh my that looks fantastic!
Williemae Trau
this time with pictures...
Williemae Trau
Hi all. I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped.

I was only able to build a sub frame to fit inside the case. Take a look!
Williemae Trau
Originally Posted by fullenglishpint
Yeah.. definitely use removable "slip-off" hinges.. i'm pretty sure they make them for flight cases
Tatum Ansaldo
Matthew Urtel
Legit case....
Williemae Trau
Thanks for all the kind words! Hopefully I'll have everything wired and mounted into an enclosure in the next few days.

Speaking of enclosures, I was believeing of using an old brief case.. what do you all believe?
Matthew Urtel
this controller is sexy....
Wava Egizi
Very very nice! I like the concept!
Keli Vandenbergh

Multicolour led.

http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/...=DSC_0448.jpg&

Vernie Beharry
That looks bad-ass. . . .

Making want to go head first into my own controller again!
Big Ups!
Williemae Trau
I've made some progress on the controller.

I tested a LED matrix using a breadboard just to make sure everything worked. I finished cutting the panels and gave them a coat of paint. Lastly, all the components are installed except for the sliders... i just need to pick up some hardware to mount them.

take a look!
Arcelia Siebeneck
midibox64 would be the obvious brain for multi-coloured LED's... just out more DOUT boards.
Williemae Trau
The problem with leds is that i havent found a diy controller that works with multicolor leds like the apc40, 20 and launchpad...

But you might use diferent colors per function...
In theory you could use 3-color led's with the brain, but each light would take up three LED outputs in the matrix. The brain gives you 42 matrixed LED's but if each one was three colors you could only have 14 total... Not very practical..

*EDIT*
I misspoke. The brain supports 48 matrixed LED's. This would allow for 16 3-color LED's
Aurea Kager
[QUOTE=

@oscarjmg-

That looks like a nifty controller.. I like it a lot. It also takes advantage of the maximum number of buttons available in an 8x8 button matrix (assuming you pair it with another identical controller) Any thoughts about LED's?[/QUOTE]

Well yeah mate i spent 3 months doing a full 4 deck mapping for TP on the APC40 very complete mapping so i knew that the buttons matrix its very usefull for simple tasks.

Here
Williemae Trau
I've finally received my order from Futurlec.com. I should be able to post some progress this weekend. I also have my first paying gig this weekend! wish me luck!

@oscarjmg-

That looks like a nifty controller.. I like it a lot. It also takes advantage of the maximum number of buttons available in an 8x8 button matrix (assuming you pair it with another identical controller) Any thoughts about LED's?
Arcelia Siebeneck
yeah I'm believeing of doing my arcade buttons in that arrangement as well... makes sense
Aurea Kager
So, as i told you before i was believeing in something like this here
Williemae Trau
Originally Posted by eataskdotcom
Where were you able to get it for 100 used? That's a real deal. I'm waiting for the next pay check to buy mine.
I found it on the DJTT "Buy & Sell" community .

Hi there @pumpkin2themax finally you posted the thread about this controller.

I used your idea and work from it to make a design of my own, but i have a question how do you plan to connect the two units with only one livid brain.

I hope you post some more pictures soon, also i would love to see how are you plugging your arcade buttons to the brain.

Best wishes....
Cool! I'd love to see your design. The original plan was to have a wiring harness go between the two units, but I believe for the sake of simplicity I'm going to mount the two units in the same enclosure.

The buttons are plugged into the Brain via a "diode matrix" lots of information can be found here about the brain:
http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Brain

This section talks about the button matrix:
http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wik...n#Diode_Matrix

For now, I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come in before I can post any more progress.
Aurea Kager
Hi there @pumpkin2themax finally you posted the thread about this controller.

I used your idea and work from it to make a design of my own, but i have a question how do you plan to connect the two units with only one livid brain.

I hope you post some more pictures soon, also i would love to see how are you plugging your arcade buttons to the brain.

Best wishes....
Mellisa Calenda
Where were you able to get it for 100 used? That's a real deal. I'm waiting for the next pay check to buy mine.
Williemae Trau
Originally Posted by Unimagination
Looking super good already! I'm believeing of creating my own controller (someday) so I'm just curious to possibly hear why you picked this particular layout as compared to a more "traditional" layout?
Thanks! Currently I mix with an external mixer and an Axiom 25 keyboard, I'm used to lots of buttons as opposed to jog wheels. I really wanted to have independent control of each deck as well.

Originally Posted by eataskdotcom
How do you like the Livid Brain? i am also going to be using it for my DIY 4 channel midi mixer.
The Livid Brain is a really good solution for a DIY controller. I would highly recommend it. It is however very expensive (i was lucky enough to pick mine up for 100 used). I wish it supported endless rotary encoders too.
Mellisa Calenda
How do you like the Livid Brain? i am also going to be using it for my DIY 4 channel midi mixer.
Denisse Franklyn
Looking super good already! I'm believeing of creating my own controller (someday) so I'm just curious to possibly hear why you picked this particular layout as compared to a more "traditional" layout?
Williemae Trau
Here's a SketchUp of the finished product.
Williemae Trau
This is how it looks now... I'm still waiting for pots, faders, buttons, and led's from futurlec.com

Can't wait to mash these arcade buttons!

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy