Cortex HDTT-5000

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Cortex HDTT-5000Reply
Cortex HDTT-5000
Posted on: 27.01.2012 by Chandra Lean
anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...er.html#images
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by zimfella
Thanks for your detailed response, the idea of them is good. I just wanted something for my mates to come round with a usb stick, plug it in and jam. Guess I'll be going for a cdj with usb. Cheers
Might be worth looking at the Gemini CDJ-600, the Reloop RMP-2.5 Alpha, or the DJ Tech uSolo FX. All around the
Carletta Riemer
Originally Posted by Professorbx
Haha, I was actually part of the design of those-the hardware was frozen long before I got there, but the user interface/workflow was re-done as one of my first "big" projects. So, some things to know-

1. There are a lot of confusing things about the user interface. This is because the hardware was made to work with the software in a way that made no sense. What we did was a band-aid. It worked way better post-changes, but it was never as good as it could have been if we had the time to work on it right from the start.

2. It was painfully slow analyzing. Like, out of control slow. The librarian was Windows only, and I'm pretty sure it has not been updated since 2008.

3. When testing, I settled on the equivalent of 45rpm for the scratch speed. The wheel was not the most responsive, and it was mostly a way of compensating in a way that felt best for cutting. Some might not like it. That said, you should have felt 33rpm......

4. The effects were straight up bad.

5. We had a bug with the media link/drive share. Basically, whatever you were sharing with was always frustratingly slow compared to the master deck. It got better, but I was personally never happy with it.

6. The jog pressure sensitivity had a tendency to get pretty wooly over time. Be aware.

7. It should have done MIDI, but didn't. In retrospect, we totally were dumb in guessing which way the market would go.

At the end of the day, its one of those projects that I'm glad to have under my belt, but I left feeling more let down that it was not better. Working on SCS.4DJ at Stanton, I was left mostly feeling like we did everything we wanted to do back then with the HDTT, and Gemini's CDJ-700 is also a much better representation of what we were dreaming of doing back then. I guess what I'm saying is that either would be a much better choice. (And I've moved on from both companies, so I have zero interest either way in what way you go.
Too bad the CDJ-700 didn't go the route of having linking between multiple units. It seems to do everything else right... well, other than the screen being vertical, I guess. They could always make the waveform vertical or vinyl-like.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by makar1
Numark is usually the way to go for cheaper CDJs that aren't complete junk. Check out the NDX series.

Otherwise have a browse around for some used Pioneers.
We got a pair of NDX400s for the DJ society I'm a part of a few weeks ago, and there aren't words to describe just how nasty they are, although the terms of "plasticky" and "rattly" certainly help. The NDX800 might be better although I haven't seen a pair of those in the flesh yet.
Alphonso Deitchman
Thanks for your detailed response, the idea of them is good. I just wanted something for my mates to come round with a usb stick, plug it in and jam. Guess I'll be going for a cdj with usb. Cheers
Numark is usually the way to go for cheaper CDJs that aren't complete junk. Check out the NDX series.

Doreen Schurle
Might be worth looking at the Gemini CDJ-600, the Reloop RMP-2.5 Alpha, or the DJ Tech uSolo FX. All around the
Sharlene Brownsberger
Originally Posted by hellnegative
they are great for at home use do not let it get her and never drop it. they're made pretty cheap. I have. homie who has a pair. they've lasted him a while.
Haha, I was actually part of the design of those-the hardware was frozen long before I got there, but the user interface/workflow was re-done as one of my first "big" projects. So, some things to know-

1. There are a lot of confusing things about the user interface. This is because the hardware was made to work with the software in a way that made no sense. What we did was a band-aid. It worked way better post-changes, but it was never as good as it could have been if we had the time to work on it right from the start.

2. It was painfully slow analyzing. Like, out of control slow. The librarian was Windows only, and I'm pretty sure it has not been updated since 2008.

3. When testing, I settled on the equivalent of 45rpm for the scratch speed. The wheel was not the most responsive, and it was mostly a way of compensating in a way that felt best for cutting. Some might not like it. That said, you should have felt 33rpm......

5. We had a bug with the media link/drive share. Basically, whatever you were sharing with was always frustratingly slow compared to the master deck. It got better, but I was personally never happy with it.

6. The jog pressure sensitivity had a tendency to get pretty wooly over time. Be aware.

7. It should have done MIDI, but didn't. In retrospect, we totally were dumb in guessing which way the market would go.

At the end of the day, its one of those projects that I'm glad to have under my belt, but I left feeling more let down that it was not better. Working on SCS.4DJ at Stanton, I was left mostly feeling like we did everything we wanted to do back then with the HDTT, and Gemini's CDJ-700 is also a much better representation of what we were dreaming of doing back then. I guess what I'm saying is that either would be a much better choice. (And I've moved on from both companies, so I have zero interest either way in what way you go.
Chandra Lean
anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.proaudiostar.com/dj-gear/...er.html#images
Carletta Riemer
Originally Posted by Professorbx

Too bad the CDJ-700 didn't go the route of having linking between multiple units. It seems to do everything else right... well, other than the screen being vertical, I guess. They could always make the waveform vertical or vinyl-like.
Nila Ragonese
Check out the Gemini CDJ-650's. Basically stripped down, smaller CDJ-700's. You can find them for relatively cheap and they handle USB and MIDI no problem. Like someone else said, if you want effects you're going to want to use Traktor's or your mixers effects.
Alphonso Deitchman
The NDX 400 is only $111 now so it's hardly a surprise about the quality. The NDX 800/900 costs over twice the price of the 400 so they should be somewhat better.
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by makar1

We got a pair of NDX400s for the DJ society I'm a part of a few weeks ago, and there aren't words to describe just how nasty they are, although the terms of "plasticky" and "rattly" certainly help. The NDX800 might be better although I haven't seen a pair of those in the flesh yet.
Alphonso Deitchman

Doreen Schurle
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Sharlene Brownsberger
Originally Posted by hellnegative
they are great for at home use do not let it get her and never drop it. they're made pretty cheap. I have. homie who has a pair. they've lasted him a while.

Emelina Chillson
Hanna Ridenbaugh
Anyone actually played on these? You can get them dirt cheap now.
Jeramy Akinola
if you're going that way buy any of these:
Pioneer CDJ-400 or maybe CDJ 350 or 200 but these are worst
Numark NDX400
Denon DN s700
Numark NDX800
American Audio Radius
different option would be Denon DN-SC2000
Jody Goman
get a pioneer cdj-400 on ebay or something for the same price....cant go wrong with em...
Asha Kravetz
I wouldn't do it.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy