What Controller?

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: What Controller?Reply
What Controller?
Posted on: 14.10.2013 by Abram Chapo
Right, my head hurts as I am stuck with what controller to go for (going to switch to Serato DJ)!

I have very limited space and was believeing of going for the Vestax VCI-400 but then thought that I have a smashing Xone-92 sat in the loft doing nothing so what can I do to use that??

I will have the 1210's out in a couple of years when we have more space but until then, I believe I would like a controller to hook into the 92 and stick with that.

I have been looking at the new Pioneer controller but can't see anything that would be used to play, change pitch etc and have also been looking at the Faderfox DS3.

I don't want any jog wheels or sliders - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Horacio Stranathan
Originally Posted by Patch
If you're not married to the idea of going with Serato, I reckon the Xone:92, + Traktor + Zomo MC-1000 would be an absolute KILLER set-up.

In fact, if you're handy with mappings, you could make your own Serato Dj mapping for the MC-1000 anyway...
I just pulled the trigger on a Zomo MC-1000 with the PK-3 mounting bracket. I am at a toss up between MC-1000 and the X1 MK2 so I figure I will try both.

Trying to find some nice gear to compliment the DB2 I got recently. Might pick up an MM-1 to replace the DB2 while I am out, but I don't know about that yet.

By the way, the Zomo MC-1000 was a lot cheaper than I thought, actually cheaper than an X1 MK2 and its a 4 deck controller.
Abram Chapo
Originally Posted by Mojaxx
Just to clarify, as I fear your research has failed you somewhat...

What you want, does not currently exist in the Serato ecosystem.

Only natively supported controllers and interfaces are able to 'unlock' Serato DJ.

That means the Faderfox is out of the question, without an SL2, SL3 or SL4 interface, none of which are even supported until 2014.

They do work with Scratch Live, of course, but whichever platform you use, you'll find the midi mappable functions very limited when using an unsupported controller.

So your current options are:

A supported all-in-one (like the 400 you mentioned originally)

A supported SL box with a limited add-on controller in 2014

Traktor.

I am a long-time Scratch Live/Serato DJ user, and it definitely has it's strengths.

But for you, it sounds absolutely wrong. Traktor is what you need.
Thanks Mojaxx - advice taken! I didn't know that was the case with Serato DJ
Jennell Bratschi
Originally Posted by crumarbit
Right, my head hurts as I am stuck with what controller to go for (going to switch to Serato DJ)!

I have very limited space and was believeing of going for the Vestax VCI-400 but then thought that I have a smashing Xone-92 sat in the loft doing nothing so what can I do to use that??

I will have the 1210's out in a couple of years when we have more space but until then, I believe I would like a controller to hook into the 92 and stick with that.

I have been looking at the new Pioneer controller but can't see anything that would be used to play, change pitch etc and have also been looking at the Faderfox DS3.

I don't want any jog wheels or sliders - any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Kontrol X1
Nana Mohs

Thanks
there goes the xone 2d suggestion I had ready for you. Goes beautifully w/ the xone92 if change your mind about jogs/faders

The X1 would be my next suggestion. Or if you ONLY want buttons... Launchpad?

Also, what patch said xone92 + MC1000 makes me drool
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by arsman
a controller with no jogwheels or sliders for serato? try the new pioneer ddj sp1

or traktor x1 mk 1, midi fighter, a&h k2, launchpad, faderfox ds3, etc.

take your pick, map out the buttons to your liking.
He specifically said he didn't want Pioneer's new controller because it didn't have any jogwheels or sliders. Maybe another controller... without jogwheels or sliders?
Abram Chapo

Thanks
Marlena Filippo
X1, F1, K2, midifighter,
Horacio Stranathan
I am pretty stoked for getting it for under $200 with the PMK-3 mount. A 4 deck midi device with built in sound and bracket for under $200 is pretty good.

I did also find a brand new X1 MK2 with stand for $160 from a private sale. I will definitely compare the two for two deck mixing.
Kanesha Corella
I would suggest the zomo mc 1000, no jogs and you can control 4 decks with traktor in external mixing as it has a 8 channel (4 deck) soundcard built in.
Horacio Stranathan
Originally Posted by Patch
If you're not married to the idea of going with Serato, I reckon the Xone:92, + Traktor + Zomo MC-1000 would be an absolute KILLER set-up.

In fact, if you're handy with mappings, you could make your own Serato Dj mapping for the MC-1000 anyway...
I just pulled the trigger on a Zomo MC-1000 with the PK-3 mounting bracket. I am at a toss up between MC-1000 and the X1 MK2 so I figure I will try both.

Trying to find some nice gear to compliment the DB2 I got recently. Might pick up an MM-1 to replace the DB2 while I am out, but I don't know about that yet.

By the way, the Zomo MC-1000 was a lot cheaper than I thought, actually cheaper than an X1 MK2 and its a 4 deck controller.
Abram Chapo
Originally Posted by Mojaxx

Only natively supported controllers and interfaces are able to 'unlock' Serato DJ.

That means the Faderfox is out of the question, without an SL2, SL3 or SL4 interface, none of which are even supported until 2014.

They do work with Scratch Live, of course, but whichever platform you use, you'll find the midi mappable functions very limited when using an unsupported controller.

Traktor.

I am a long-time Scratch Live/Serato DJ user, and it definitely has it's strengths.

Thanks Mojaxx - advice taken! I didn't know that was the case with Serato DJ
Larita Smaga

Traktor.

Jennell Bratschi

Thanks
Kontrol X1
Abram Chapo
Thanks guys - just doing loads of research into this and have decided the best option for me is the Faderfox DS3. I can use this with the Xone 92 and once the decks come back out, the only section of the DS3 to be made redundant would be the bottom row of keys.

One thing i use alot of in Traktor is the ability to change the key of the track, can this be done in Serato as i can only see a key lock?
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
that's what I used the jog for aswell.. It's a shame that such a quality controller was brought down with such a useless jog.
Nana Mohs
That's a bummer about you 1D. I Love my 2d, the thing is a TANK. Don't really use the Jog though, just the 4 jog buttons. I have the jog mapped to search if i need it to though
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
I wouldn't get a Xone 1/2D for the jog.. It's not touch sensitive but worst of all it doesn't reliably send midi signals. When I ran my 1D through Midi-OX there was no pattern to the jog sending messages, sometimes it would send them immediately, sometimes you would need to move it a little before it would send anything. And for me the drivers were horrible, whenever the controller dissconnected without being removed properly through the OS I would get a BSOD! It was very frustrating to work with, I don't wish that on anyone.

In answer to the OP. If jogs are your thing... Behringer CMD-PL1 if you want a pitch fader, Reloop Contour if you don't. But both of those options will only work with Traktor.
Nana Mohs

Thanks
there goes the xone 2d suggestion I had ready for you. Goes beautifully w/ the xone92 if change your mind about jogs/faders

The X1 would be my next suggestion. Or if you ONLY want buttons... Launchpad?

Also, what patch said xone92 + MC1000 makes me drool
Brunilda Kora

Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by arsman
a controller with no jogwheels or sliders for serato? try the new pioneer ddj sp1

He specifically said he didn't want Pioneer's new controller because it didn't have any jogwheels or sliders. Maybe another controller... without jogwheels or sliders?
Petra Arra

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy