Novation Launch Control - NEW!

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Novation Launch Control - NEW!Reply
Novation Launch Control - NEW!
Posted on: 04.09.2013 by Diogo Dj Dragão
Looks like a sweet little add-on to the Launchpad.

http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/launch-control

Perfect for those who are clip based but wanted some real knobs to twist on instead of a mode-change for the buttons. Cool stuff, and I'll bet it gets hijacked into other use cases as well. And given the LaunchPad is so cheap, I'm betting this thing ends up being around $69.

Give Novation some love, guys!

Kara Okumoto
Originally Posted by DirtyNerd
And for what it's worth, for the price ($99), I am ok with no encoders. I'd rather this at $99 retail with no encoders than something much more expensive with them.
Well, I believe the Nocturn and the Behringer BCR2000 shows that a controller with encoders with LED rings doesn't have to be expensive.
Kara Okumoto
Agree with ajrindy. I'll wait for the MIDI FIGHTER TWISTER or MIDI FIGHTER MACRO-MASHER instead:

midi-fighter-twister.jpg

midi-fighter-macromasher1.jpg

Nocturn would have fit the bill if it was a normal USB class-compliant MIDI controller that could be used on iOS/dekstop without having to run the darn Automap Server software.
Diogo Dj Dragão
Looks like a sweet little add-on to the Launchpad.

http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/launch-control

Perfect for those who are clip based but wanted some real knobs to twist on instead of a mode-change for the buttons. Cool stuff, and I'll bet it gets hijacked into other use cases as well. And given the LaunchPad is so cheap, I'm betting this thing ends up being around $69.

Give Novation some love, guys!

Petra Arra
sorry guys to bump this thread, been looking to get the launchpad mini and launch control for christmas. do you recommend it? will use it for ableton(obviously) but will also map it for traktor

thanks guys
Kiyoko Wellisch
Neat little controller.

Are we talking about the launchpad mini in here as well? I'm rather interested in it. Class compliant, smaller footprint, great price, what's not to like? I just hope the build is as good as with the previous launchpads and that it has a little spindle hole so it fits on a turntable nicely.
Jonathan Chiuchiolo
novation have no plans of fixing the nocturn to work with midi or HID.. I asked them about a year ago. Shame it's a really cool controller.
alfredo moreira
I agree about the nocturn. I had one and it seemed promising, but I just couldn't stand having to use that damned middleman automap software. I'd much rather just have class-complient midi and map it myself.
Raphael Beyea
New launchpad Mini also looks very cool. Looks like compressed Launchpad S. Just with smaller buttons. COMPACTNESS!
Kara Okumoto
Originally Posted by DirtyNerd
And for what it's worth, for the price ($99), I am ok with no encoders. I'd rather this at $99 retail with no encoders than something much more expensive with them.
Well, I believe the Nocturn and the Behringer BCR2000 shows that a controller with encoders with LED rings doesn't have to be expensive.
Leota Dolney
I have been wanting something like this since I got my launchpad...The Nocturn would have been great, but Automap is awful. I am sure that Novation realized that there was a demand for a product like this to pair with the Launchpad and decided to fill it. I got a Korg nanoKontrol-2, and that is nice, but more knobs makes controlling FX params inAbleton much nicer.

And for what it's worth, for the price ($99), I am ok with no encoders. I'd rather this at $99 retail with no encoders than something much more expensive with them. If you want faders, grab a nanoKontrol for like $50 and there you go. I will likely grab one when they come out to pair with Launchpad and my nanoKontrol.
Kara Okumoto
Agree with ajrindy. I'll wait for the MIDI FIGHTER TWISTER or MIDI FIGHTER MACRO-MASHER instead:

midi-fighter-twister.jpg

midi-fighter-macromasher1.jpg

Nocturn would have fit the bill if it was a normal USB class-compliant MIDI controller that could be used on iOS/dekstop without having to run the darn Automap Server software.
Yong Aptekar
Has anyone ever seen the launchpad? Its very basic, just as this controller is. No bells and whistles, just buttons and knobs. I really like this controller, when I had a launchpad, i was wanting something like this to come out. Might get one anyways, I believe I've got some uses for it.
Brunilda Kora
If Novation made a UC-33e, with the same form factor as the Launchpad, they would be on to a winnner.
Nedra Fresneda
The APC uses endless knobs for everything except the cue volume one. My take is they went the standard route to reduce costs and final price.
Diogo Dj Dragão
I don't understand how novation could bungle the launchcontrol THIS BADLY.
Maybe their use case is different than yours. Maybe they don't want to have to worry about making an encoder based product that either (a) has encoders that don't change values as quickly as a user would expect, but doesn't require middleware, or (b) works fine as long as the user is also running AutoMap or similar middleware.

Ableton has poor support for encoders. There is no sensitivity setting unless you're tweaking it via middleware or writing a script that hooks into the Live API. Either option is a problem for many users. These problems go away when you switch to absolute controls.

For a small, probably inexpensive controller the simpler solution is probably going to be the best one for most people.
Brock Ricapito
I don't understand how novation could bungle the launchcontrol THIS BADLY. Why does it have knobs instead of endless encoders with LED rings to jump between layers or devices the way the APC40 does? It has buttons to navigate between channels - do they expect the user to limit themselves to only several devices and knobs? It's not as if novation is new to LED ring encoders either. I just don't get it...
When it comes to Ableton controllers, APC4- style device control really should be the gold standard, again LED rings around endless encoders, instead of limited knobs.
Brunilda Kora
Like!!!

Why stop there, though??? I'd love to see a similar device with 8 faders......
Werner Bile
very nice. Can't wait to pair one with my launchpad.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy