Zomo MC-1000 Video Review

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Zomo MC-1000 Video ReviewReply
Zomo MC-1000 Video Review
Posted on: 20.03.2013 by Doreen Schurle
As promised, here's my video review (and mapping talkthrough) for the Zomo MC-1000

Brunilda Kora
mdcdesign - I read on DJWorx that some of the knobs aren't as "clicky" as the others. Is this the case for your unit? I was believeing maybe DJWorks just got a dodgy unit with a bad knob?

It's the clicky Loop/FX Select endless encoders that are affected - not the standard pots.

Originally Posted by DJWorx
The loop and FX select dials are push button encoders, with the same soft rubber as the pots, and it feels like two different designs were used for each. The FX select knob exhibits a loud clicking when it
Brunilda Kora
mdcdesign - I read on DJWorx that some of the knobs aren't as "clicky" as the others. Is this the case for your unit? I was believeing maybe DJWorks just got a dodgy unit with a bad knob?

It's the clicky Loop/FX Select endless encoders that are affected - not the standard pots.

The loop and FX select dials are push button encoders, with the same soft rubber as the pots, and it feels like two different designs were used for each. The FX select knob exhibits a loud clicking when it
Brunilda Kora

Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Mike_08
Was looking at these the other day, but I know if I brought one I'd have to buy a DJM so the colours match. :P
Lmao
Elmer Kindinger
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Was looking at these the other day, but I know if I brought one I'd have to buy a DJM so the colours match.
Brunilda Kora

Donnette Delf
Thank you man. You do not understand how the mapping saved me. I tried to map myself using Apple's software called "Extreme Mapping" which is very nice but I lost it along the way. Too many commands and options, and I'm pretty new in the digital world. I read somewhere that you spent another site for playing Live mapping version or remix version. Where the two musicians play songs and two players control the sampling option. You can send it please?
Keli Vandenbergh
Question... Ii is class compliant? Almost the midi controller side...?
Ellamae Goodkin
I downloaded your mapping, and I have 5 options Deck A, Deck B, etc but every selection I make will not map any button and not show in list any command.

If I create a control will be listed and mc-1000 will send command into tracktor.
What should I do to load correctly your tsi?

Thank you!

By the way controller is great!

My partially mapping is uploaded here http://www.4shared.com/zip/6iGhB6CS/...01tsi__1_.html
I didn't get right some controls, maybe you'll direct into right track.
Doreen Schurle
This thing gets a HELL of a reaction from other DJs.

Was headlining a midweek evening toevening with a couple of other DJs opening for me; one of them was using CDJs and the other an S2, and one of them walked into the booth after I'd set up (I set up at the start of the evening as I was supervising), and was like... "what the hell is that?!"

The reaction when you're actually USING it tends to be more one of shocked silence, especially since my fingers are flying around all over the place using modifiers and toggles etc to switch modes. It's DEFINITELY an eye-catcher, at least inside the booth if not outside. I had it directly behind the house mixer toevening as well, with the laptop over to the right hand side, out of my line of sight, which makes for quite a good positioning for staying connected to the crowd as well
Xenia Gorin
ZOMO + ECLER NUO4 = Great fun!!
Brunilda Kora
+1.

Zomo + DJM800 would be a great combo...
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Mike_08
Was looking at these the other day, but I know if I brought one I'd have to buy a DJM so the colours match. :P
Lmao
Elmer Kindinger
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Was looking at these the other day, but I know if I brought one I'd have to buy a DJM so the colours match.
Doreen Schurle
The Deck A/C Loop one mostly. It seems to alternate between not being very clicky and being the same as the others lol :P
Brunilda Kora
Which knobs of yours are not so clicky?
Doreen Schurle
Unfortunately my unit is the same It's not consistent between all 4 knobs either, which leads me to believe that the encoders themselves may not be up to scratch... with that said, I've already disassembled the unit out of curiosity, so will probably replace all 4 encoders at some point anyway :P It's not a difficult job thankfully
Brunilda Kora

Doreen Schurle
A couple of kilos; about the same as an S2, but then again it's full metal construction
Sonja Roybal
How much does it weigh? If Traktor ever updates the app to support midi, I'm all over this thing.
Doreen Schurle
Used it for a 1 hour set toevening ; the PMK-3 arrived yesterday so when I woke up today I had to rush getting it all screwed together haha, but it worked fantastically

Brunilda Kora
Oh I'll be getting the PMK-3 if I get the MC-1000...
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Patch
It's taking ALL of my will power not to buy one of these......
Doooooo it

I just ordered the PMK-3 mount kit to place it behind the mixer:

Brunilda Kora
It's taking ALL of my will power not to buy one of these......
Doreen Schurle
Aaaaaand done
Doreen Schurle
Lmao! Didn't even know that existed, I'll upload it there once I'm back on my main PC
Random X
Excellent, I just hope it will show up at this section automatically as well.

But thanks for sharing!
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by tekki
You might want to up it to the Mapping section as well?
Added here http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...464#post601464
Random X
You might want to up it to the Mapping section as well?
Doreen Schurle
Here we go!

Zomo MC-1000 Mapping.zip

A basic rundown:

There are two shift keys on the mapping now; the toggle shift at the bottom, which I'll refer to as "Shift Mode", and then a hold-shift on the center encoder. This one gives quick and easy access to the most commonly used controls from each mode in the other.

For example, in normal mode, the Play/Pause button acts as CUP; holding the center encoder and pressing it will Cue instead, allowing you to start/reset the track easily. The opposite applies in Shift Mode.

Center encoder + Loop encoder depress will Play/Stop the track also, at the current track position.

In shift mode, hotcues 1-3 are as expected. Hotcue 4 is Sync, hotcues 5-8 are FX buttons 1-4. Holding the center encoder and pressing them while in shift mode will delete the hotcues.

In NORMAL mode, hotcues 1-3 are activated with the bottom 3 buttons. 4-8 are the same as in shift mode, but while holding the center encoder.

The grid adjustment modifier has been moved from Sync to Load A (for A/C) and Load B (for B/D); this only works in Shift Mode, and was changed to free up Sync for hotcue usage.

The rest of it is pretty much the same, if I remember rightly... oh; the FX select modifier is now a depress of the center encoder as well, rather than FX button 1; this was changed for the same reason as above.

If you notice ANY problems, please let me know and I'll fix 'em
Yukiko Spruell
cool new toy arrives today with some other goodies
Doreen Schurle
Haha Gimme a couple of hours, I'll finish the mapping up and upload it
Yukiko Spruell
And where can I get my grubby mits on it?
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Crem Brule
MDC any chance of the mapping for the Zomo please? Just picked one up and the map you are using looks great.

I am not to upto speed with mapping in traktor and wondered if it would be possible to alter the map to use shift + hotcues to access additional hotcues (4 to 6) whilst using another button (sync maybe) +hotcues as a delete?
I've just modified the mapping (Deck A only, for now - mapping the others is time-consuming haha) to offer all 8 cuepoints in both Normal Mode and Shift Mode, as well as a few other little goodies.
Yukiko Spruell
MDC any chance of the mapping for the Zomo please? Just picked one up and the map you are using looks great.

I am not to upto speed with mapping in traktor and wondered if it would be possible to alter the map to use shift + hotcues to access additional hotcues (4 to 6) whilst using another button (sync maybe) +hotcues as a delete?
Brunilda Kora
Great review. You have made me want one.....
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by soundinsurgent712
Your mapping is nice but a little to much for me, lol! Nice review though I agree the unit is solid.
It's not as complicated as it looks tbh, once you spend about 5-10 minutes using it it becomes second nature Gonna modify it to use depression of the center rotary encoder as a "hold shift" for basic transport functions (cue, play/pause, jog turn, track posititon, delete cuepoints, etc)
Xenia Gorin
Your mapping is nice but a little to much for me, lol! Nice review though I agree the unit is solid.
Doreen Schurle
Haha cheers Felt like overkill when I bought 3 of them, but they really are quite nice :P

The little Velcro tie thing is very handy, plus the double ferrite core == win
Latoria Kavulich
nice review & vid mate. extra points for the djtt cable

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy