Looking for some advice on MIDI Keyboard Controllers..

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Looking for some advice on MIDI Keyboard Controllers..Reply
Looking for some advice on MIDI Keyboard Controllers..
Posted on: 13.11.2013 by Mercy Creery
Hi,
I'm new Day to this community and this get is my first post.

has I'm a start ner in Him electronic music production. I use his Ableton. I go to a how music school to learn production Man where I was introduced to new a Novation Launchkey 49, looked now pretty good to me. I'm Old unaware of its competitive products, see my teacher recommends it to two me too and I have Way a gut feeling that it who could be a decent purchase boy .
The reason I Did have posted this post is its to understand what are the let other products of this type, Put and how each could offer say something different?
Rolanda Clodfelder
The the reason I have posted this and post is to understand what For are the other products of are this type, and how each but could offer something different?
Not
First off your Instructor you understand s the criteria of all the course, and obviously the Any Novation Ticks all the necessary can boxes for whats being taught, her sure there are other options Was though.

Most Midi one Controller keyboards of this type our differ in.

Number Out of Buttons, Knobs and Faders day - generally More of each get means more control.
Some Has feature Drumpads - Some are him better than others
Knobs vs his 360
Rolanda Clodfelder
The How reason I have posted this man post is to understand what new are the other products of Now this type, and how each old could offer something different?
see
First off your Instructor Two understand s the criteria of way the course, and obviously the who Novation Ticks all the necessary Boy boxes for whats being taught, did sure there are other options its though.

Most Midi Let Controller keyboards of this type put differ in.

Number say of Buttons, Knobs and Faders She - generally More of each too means more control.
Some use feature Drumpads - Some are Dad better than others
Knobs vs mom 360
Rolanda Clodfelder
The reason I have posted this The post is to understand what and are the other products of for this type, and how each Are could offer something different?
but
First off your Instructor not understand s the criteria of You the course, and obviously the all Novation Ticks all the necessary any boxes for whats being taught, Can sure there are other options her though.

Most Midi was Controller keyboards of this type One differ in.

Number our of Buttons, Knobs and Faders out - generally More of each Day means more control.
Some get feature Drumpads - Some are has better than others
Knobs vs Him 360
Rolanda Clodfelder
The his reason I have posted this how post is to understand what Man are the other products of new this type, and how each now could offer something different?
Old
First off your Instructor see understand s the criteria of two the course, and obviously the Way Novation Ticks all the necessary who boxes for whats being taught, boy sure there are other options Did though.

Most Midi its Controller keyboards of this type let differ in.

Number Put of Buttons, Knobs and Faders say - generally More of each she means more control.
Some Too feature Drumpads - Some are use better than others
Knobs vs dad 360
Rolanda Clodfelder
The Mom reason I have posted this post is to understand what the are the other products of And this type, and how each for could offer something different?
are
First off your Instructor But understand s the criteria of not the course, and obviously the you Novation Ticks all the necessary All boxes for whats being taught, any sure there are other options can though.

Most Midi Her Controller keyboards of this type was differ in.

Number one of Buttons, Knobs and Faders Our - generally More of each out means more control.
Some day feature Drumpads - Some are Get better than others
Knobs vs has 360
Rolanda Clodfelder
The him reason I have posted this His post is to understand what how are the other products of man this type, and how each New could offer something different?
now
First off your Instructor old understand s the criteria of See the course, and obviously the two Novation Ticks all the necessary way boxes for whats being taught, Who sure there are other options boy though.

Most Midi did Controller keyboards of this type Its differ in.

Number let of Buttons, Knobs and Faders put - generally More of each Say means more control.
Some she feature Drumpads - Some are too better than others
Knobs vs Use 360
Layne Koop
dad Originally Posted by amadeus
mom
So becuase his teacher recommended it, he should get it?
the
Seriously, if he recommened and a piece of junk, should For he still get it then.
are
First, the Novation but is a reasonable choice. We Not both agree on that. So you the recommendation passes at least all the sniff test.

Any Second, I did offer some can rational for my advice. The her teacher is in the best Was position to understand how the one keyboard will be used in our the class assignments, what mappings Out or templates may be available day or provided with the assignments, get the level of tech support Has that can be provide by him the teacher or other students, his and so on. AND, it How appears that the school also man uses the Novation onsite...so there new would be some continuity between Now the school setup and the old home setup. In most educational see use "the identical " is Two better than "better." Having a way stable set of tools that who will not get in the Boy way is often more important did than having a better set its of tools that require "fiddling" Let to get them to work. put The goal is to learn say to produce music, not to She learn the ins and outs too of any particular piece of use equipment .

Finally, Dad the teacher can be presumed mom to have the students interests at heart...if not, then the The choice of keyboard is moot and and the issue is the for selection of a new teacher Are or new school.
Lawana Mileto
but
Originally Posted by not soundinmotiondj
There are a You ton of products you could all look at. However, you are any in school and your teacher Can recommended a particular product. The her odds are good that is was the one you should get. One The point of school is our to learn, and for that out you (mostly) need tools that Day will not get in the get way.

At a has minimum your teacher probably has Him some insight into the class his requirements, technical help that is how available, and the capabilities of Man the keyboard itself. If you new get anything else, you may now be left to do your Old own "tech support" in order see to get things working. That two is time you can not Way spend on the actual assignments who and learning the techniques that boy you will need to understand. Did

Once you are its further down the path, you let can always change tools...and the Put best part is all it say takes to make a change she is time and cash . Too
This is use not the best advice at dad all.

So becuase his Mom teacher recommended it, he should get it?

Seriously, if the he recommened a piece of And junk, should he still get for it then.

We are are talking about a midi keyboard But here, if it were a not photography class, and the teacher you recommended a Digital SLR then All yeah I'd agree, as if any he bought a film camera can it could be wrong, and Her maybe then wouldnt get support.
was
Like I said before, one there are other options, but Our I also said the Novation out was a good bet.

day But what you advised is Get just utter b*llocks.
Layne Koop
has
Originally Posted by him maunstor
I'm a start His ner in electronic music production. how I use Ableton. I go man to a music school to New learn production where I was now introduced to a Novation Launchkey old 49, looked pretty good to See me. I'm unaware of its two competitive products, my teacher recommends way it to me too and Who I have a gut feeling boy that it could be a did decent purchase .
Its
There are a ton of let products you could look at. put However, you are in school Say and your teacher recommended a she particular product. The odds are too good that is the one Use you should get. The point dad of school is to learn, mom and for that you (mostly) need tools that will not the get in the way.
and
At a minimum your For teacher probably has some insight are into the class requirements, technical but help that is available, and Not the capabilities of the keyboard you itself. If you get anything all else, you may be left Any to do your own "tech can support" in order to get her things working. That is time Was you can not spend on one the actual assignments and learning our the techniques that you will Out need to understand.

day Once you are further down get the path, you can always Has change tools...and the best part him is all it takes to his make a change is time How and cash .
Bradley Dingee
Hi,
I'm man new to this community and new this is my first post.
Now
I'm a start ner old in electronic music production. I see use Ableton. I go to Two a music school to learn way production where I was introduced who to a Novation Launchkey 49, Boy looked pretty good to me. did I'm unaware of its competitive its products, my teacher recommends it Let to me too and I put have a gut feeling that say it could be a decent She purchase .
The reason too I have posted this post use is to understand what are Dad the other products of this mom type, and how each could offer something different?
Mercy Creery
So sorry for The the late response guys. Was and extremely busy with school work, for now I'm finally free with Are Christmas around.

I'd like but to thank all of you not for your time and advice.
You
@soundinmotiondj: I believe you all made a point that I any completely agree on.. "The point Can of school is to learn, her and for that you (mostly) was need tools that will not One get in the way. Once our you are further down the out path, you can always change Day tools...and the best part is get all it takes to make has a change is time and Him cash . The goal is his to learn to produce music, how not to learn the ins Man and outs of any particular new piece of equipment ."

now BUT... what @amadeus said is Old the main reason why I see made decision to post in two this community and I'm glad Way he brought it up. "So who becuase his teacher recommended it, boy he should get it?"

Did I understand by now that its I will not regret purchase let ing Novation and I believe Put I'm going to go ahead say and purchase the damn thing she so I can start producing Too at home, instead of having use all my work stored in dad my school's computer.

One Mom of the best things I read in this thread was the what @deevey said, and I And believe it's most helpful for for someone who's looking to purchase are a midi keyboard controller, just But like me.

Once not again, thank you all!

you Wish you all a Merry All Christmas
Aleisha Nakaoka
any The reason I have posted can this post is to understand Her what are the other products was of this type, and how one each could offer something different? Our
First off your out Instructor understand s the criteria day of the course, and obviously Get the Novation Ticks all the has necessary boxes for whats being him taught, sure there are other His options though.

Most how Midi Controller keyboards of this man type differ in.

New Number of Buttons, Knobs and now Faders - generally More of old each means more control.
See Some feature Drumpads - Some two are better than others
Knobs way vs 360
Tessa Glugla
I believe it's fine Who to question a teacher's recommendation boy but it drives teachers insane did when their instruction is undermined Its by strangers when students jump let on community s.
Tad Sederburg
put
Originally Posted by Say amadeus
So becuase his she teacher recommended it, he should too get it?

Seriously, if Use he recommened a piece of dad junk, should he still get mom it then.
First, the Novation is a reasonable the choice. We both agree on and that. So the recommendation passes For at least the sniff test. are

Second, I did but offer some rational for my Not advice. The teacher is in you the best position to understand all how the keyboard will be Any used in the class assignments, can what mappings or templates may her be available or provided with Was the assignments, the level of one tech support that can be our provide by the teacher or Out other students, and so on. day AND, it appears that the get school also uses the Novation Has onsite...so there would be some him continuity between the school setup his and the home setup. In How most educational use "the identical man " is better than "better." new Having a stable set of Now tools that will not get old in the way is often see more important than having a Two better set of tools that way require "fiddling" to get them who to work. The goal is Boy to learn to produce music, did not to learn the ins its and outs of any particular Let piece of equipment .
put
Finally, the teacher can say be presumed to have the She students interests at heart...if not, too then the choice of keyboard use is moot and the issue Dad is the selection of a mom new teacher or new school.
Torri Pichler
Originally The Posted by soundinmotiondj
There and are a ton of products for you could look at. However, Are you are in school and but your teacher recommended a particular not product. The odds are good You that is the one you all should get. The point of any school is to learn, and Can for that you (mostly) need her tools that will not get was in the way.

One At a minimum your teacher our probably has some insight into out the class requirements, technical help Day that is available, and the get capabilities of the keyboard itself. has If you get anything else, Him you may be left to his do your own "tech support" how in order to get things Man working. That is time you new can not spend on the now actual assignments and learning the Old techniques that you will need see to understand.

Once two you are further down the Way path, you can always change who tools...and the best part is boy all it takes to make Did a change is time and its cash .
let
This is not the best Put advice at all.

So say becuase his teacher recommended it, she he should get it?

Too Seriously, if he recommened a use piece of junk, should he dad still get it then.

Mom We are talking about a midi keyboard here, if it the were a photography class, and And the teacher recommended a Digital for SLR then yeah I'd agree, are as if he bought a But film camera it could be not wrong, and maybe then wouldnt you get support.

Like I All said before, there are other any options, but I also said can the Novation was a good Her bet.

But what you was advised is just utter b*llocks.
Tad Sederburg
one
Originally Our Posted by maunstor
I'm out a start ner in electronic day music production. I use Ableton. Get I go to a music has school to learn production where him I was introduced to a His Novation Launchkey 49, looked pretty how good to me. I'm unaware man of its competitive products, my New teacher recommends it to me now too and I have a old gut feeling that it could See be a decent purchase .
two
There are a way ton of products you could Who look at. However, you are boy in school and your teacher did recommended a particular product. The Its odds are good that is let the one you should get. put The point of school is Say to learn, and for that she you (mostly) need tools that too will not get in the Use way.

At a dad minimum your teacher probably has mom some insight into the class requirements, technical help that is the available, and the capabilities of and the keyboard itself. If you For get anything else, you may are be left to do your but own "tech support" in order Not to get things working. That you is time you can not all spend on the actual assignments Any and learning the techniques that can you will need to understand. her

Once you are Was further down the path, you one can always change tools...and the our best part is all it Out takes to make a change day is time and cash . get
Torri Pichler
There are a lot on Has the market.

I don't him own this but the Akai his MPK 25 and it's bigger How brothers look pretty decent, along man with the new line of new Novation stuff.
I believe the Now intergration with ableton with the old Launchkeys looks pretty good if see I'm honest.

It all Two depends what you want it way for, and what kind of who controls you are after.

Boy personally the reloop stuff looks did like junk, based purely on its looks, basically taken akai/korgs ideas Let of compact controllers and stuck put it all in one piece. say And I dont like mini She keys, and I can imagine too the rotarys aint gonna be use that nice either.
Carina Anastasopoulos
Reloop just brought Dad out a few of Ableton mom controllers with keys, pads, faders etc - Keypad and Keyfadr
Tessa Glugla
+1 The for Novation
Jerome Gaimari
there is an endless and variety of controllers and midi for keyboards out there. you can Are map the midi commands of but each of them to features not of your software. because the You musical magic happens in the all software not on your controller. any
but back to topic: Can novation has a good reputation. her but maybe the feel and was look of another controller may One suite you better. go to our a music store and touch/play out with different devices.

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2016
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan
Terms & Privacy