Midi Keyboard

Midi Keyboard
Posted on: 27.12.2013 by Alecia Soulliere
I am looking into buying a midi keyboard for my production use with abelton. I dont need anything fancy and am looking into either the Akai Professional LPK25 25-Key, or the Akai Professional MPK Mini 25-Key. I see that the mini has a few more features (pads and knobs as well) but im not sure if I really need them.

Can anyone make a recommendation between them? or can someone suggest another option I should look into? I'm mainly going to be using just to play midi notes on VSts.

Also if you have knobs and pads on your keyboard, how do you use them?

Thanks
Alecia Soulliere
Originally Posted by makar1
I have the Korg Microkey 25 and the keys themselves are much nicer than those on the M-Audio.
Thanks makar1 thats exactly the confirmation I was looking for, just ordered the Korg
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by lemeiux1
Can anyone make a recommendation between them? or can someone suggest another option I should look into? I'm mainly going to be using just to play midi notes on VSts.

Between them I'd go with the mini, however the keys are very small and the pads are not great - you could have a look at the Novation Lauchkey, m-audio axioms as well which might be a better bet in terms of quality keys.

Pads can be used for just about anything but normally for percussion e.g. programming drums or one shot FX from your software and are very handy!

Knobs are used to control parameters within the software, that could be volumes, synth knobs, EQ or just about anything else that displays a knob.

Generally more knobs is better as it allows you more realtime control over what you are playing live so you can be tweaking a filter for example while you playing notes and not need play the chord, play it back and tweak the filter from inside the software using a mouse afterwards.

its unlikely you'll just be playing midi notes, tweaking and simplifying the workflow is an essential part of production.

hope that clears some stuff up for ya

also check this video - good demo on how to use the pads, keys etc ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSx50KABk9Q
Alecia Soulliere
I am looking into buying a midi keyboard for my production use with abelton. I dont need anything fancy and am looking into either the Akai Professional LPK25 25-Key, or the Akai Professional MPK Mini 25-Key. I see that the mini has a few more features (pads and knobs as well) but im not sure if I really need them.

Thanks
Alecia Soulliere
Originally Posted by makar1
I have the Korg Microkey 25 and the keys themselves are much nicer than those on the M-Audio.
Thanks makar1 thats exactly the confirmation I was looking for, just ordered the Korg
Lakeesha Storman
I wouldn't go mini for either...keys are too small for my liking, but I'm used to a full on piano as well which may bias my recommendation. I'd definitely go to a store though and play around on the options. The more levels/knobs, the more things you can control from the keyboard/controller without having to control things in your DAW. Get something with decent pads though if you'll be banging out rhythms on the controller, and I know the MPK's pads have notoriously bad reviews.
Alphonso Deitchman
Alecia Soulliere
ok cool thanks for the advice. Unfortunately those are the ones in my price range for now. I have a midifighter and maschine for pads so I dont believe I really need them on my keyboard. After reading reviews, im actually more between the M-Audio Keystation mini 32 and the Korg microkey 25.

Anyone have any experience with these? Or can anyone suggest an alternative around the $80 price range?

Thanks in advance!
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by lemeiux1

Between them I'd go with the mini, however the keys are very small and the pads are not great - you could have a look at the Novation Lauchkey, m-audio axioms as well which might be a better bet in terms of quality keys.

Pads can be used for just about anything but normally for percussion e.g. programming drums or one shot FX from your software and are very handy!

Knobs are used to control parameters within the software, that could be volumes, synth knobs, EQ or just about anything else that displays a knob.

Generally more knobs is better as it allows you more realtime control over what you are playing live so you can be tweaking a filter for example while you playing notes and not need play the chord, play it back and tweak the filter from inside the software using a mouse afterwards.

its unlikely you'll just be playing midi notes, tweaking and simplifying the workflow is an essential part of production.

hope that clears some stuff up for ya

also check this video - good demo on how to use the pads, keys etc ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSx50KABk9Q

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy