Official Headphone Question & Discussion Thread

Home :: Reviews of DJ equipment :: Official Headphone Question & Discussion ThreadReply
Official Headphone Question & Discussion Thread
Posted on: 13.11.2013 by Latoria Kavulich
All Discussions & Specific Questions headphone related go here.
Waldo Sinegal
Im looking for some good DJ headphones for around $100. I really like the classic DJ style thats good for one ear monitoring. Durability is important to me but 2nd to sound quality. Would prefer a coiled or even detachable cable and a foldable design if that helps narrow it down for suggestions. thanks
Lynetta Stanislav
Looking for a set of studio headphones , budget is between
Lynetta Stanislav
Willie Wortel
Originally Posted by DJ Dini
Are the TMA Studios better than the TMA -1? in terms of sound quality and durability
I am also interested in thoughts on this.
Willie Wortel
Originally Posted by DJ Dini
Are the TMA Studios better than the TMA -1? in terms of sound quality and durability
I would also like to know what peoples thoughts on this are.
Lynetta Stanislav
Georgia Caroon
Originally Posted by deevey
Sound quality is on par with most $60 headphones by anyone else. Urbanears as a brand tend to focus on their style over sound quality.

As a DJ headphone however, they will perform adequately, they are loud enough and have enough isolation to block out enough outside noise for monitoring and they look pretty good.

However for a "listening" headphone IMHO they sounded really average, mid's and bass boosted and muddy and no real "excitement" in the highs.

On another note I did not find them comfortable whatsoever.
Hm, okay. I was going to use them for DJing, as I already have my own highend pair of listening headphones. (V-Moda Crossfade LP 2)
Latoria Kavulich
All Discussions & Specific Questions headphone related go here.
Aundrea Fricand
Latoria Kavulich
REMINDER:

All headphone related questions, reviews & comments belong in this thread. Any that don't will be closed or deleted upon discovery or from reporting. Cheers
Rolanda Clodfelder
See the Sony's I posted above,
  • They sit really well one-ear (that how I play) as the headband is pretty springy and flexible.
  • Cable is not detachable, Coiled and bloody durable (never replaced on the V6's - but I hate coiled !)
  • Folds and comes with a carry bag
Rolanda Clodfelder
Sony MDR V6 are insanely good studio monitor headphones. They dont look very cool but they sound amazing and have been used for years in studios,
Both the 7506 and V6 are possibly one of the best value DJ/Production headphones on the market - essentially both are the same headphone with the only real difference being a gold connector and better warranty on the 7506.

Yes I know people will show you spec sheets and tell you about magnet types etc, however that seems to have been aligned in the past few years and the spare parts for both headphones are exactly the same

I'm on my second pair in almost 15 years. The first pair of V6's which have been through hell and back, Gigged, stepped on, thrown around the house, dropped continually etc ...having almost worn through them (in the sense that you can can wear through clothing or shoes), it was time for a replacement.

So after trying just about every headphone on the market for something else.

a) As Comfortable
b) Reasonably flat
c) Tough as Nails
d) Low enough impedance for a portable device/laptop
e) Could multipurpose between Studio / Live comfortably
f) Great isolation
g) Foldable (Was willing to sacrifice this though)

Nothing I tried ticked "all" the boxes above apart from the new Sony MDR-1, which:
  • Are probably the most comfortable headphone I've EVER tried - the leather is oh-so soft.
  • Do indeed sound Amazing, do not get "muddy" whatsoever across "busy" tracks at loud volume (This was a serious an issue with the majority of other headphones I tried).
  • Fold Flat
  • Removable Cable

However the problem with the R1, is that while they felt and sounded like my ideal headphone, they did not sound $200 MORE amazing than my aging V6's, in fact if it were a blind test it'd be pretty difficult to tell the difference - they are VERY similar sounding headphones with a little more low end super low bass* on the MDR-1.

*Detail - not enhancement

So when I saw Amazon had a deal on 7506's (same headphone) for $77 needless to say I pulled the trigger and are a VERY happy boy. I hope these ones last as long.

After 15 years of abuse

Are they the BEST headphone on the market? No, but they can certainly hold their own against pretty much any "DJ" headphone that is on the market right now and I can honestly say that in my opinion they are the best value professional headphones on the planet currently.
Gaynell Rydberg
Sale on Sennheiser HD518 DJ, HD428, Amperior (up'd HD25)
http://slickdeals.net/f/6442990-senn...-free-shipping
Coretta Arey
Sony MDR V6 are insanely good studio monitor headphones. They dont look very cool but they sound amazing and have been used for years in studios, they have almost 2,000 reviews on amazon with a 5 star rating. Not to mention they are alos only 90 USD and with the velour earpad upgrade they are super comfortable too.
Gaynell Rydberg
DT-770 get my vote. You can take a look at SEnnheiser HD25 and Audio Technica A700x/A900x.
Lynetta Stanislav
Georgia Caroon
Originally Posted by deevey
Sound quality is on par with most $60 headphones by anyone else. Urbanears as a brand tend to focus on their style over sound quality.

As a DJ headphone however, they will perform adequately, they are loud enough and have enough isolation to block out enough outside noise for monitoring and they look pretty good.

However for a "listening" headphone IMHO they sounded really average, mid's and bass boosted and muddy and no real "excitement" in the highs.

Hm, okay. I was going to use them for DJing, as I already have my own highend pair of listening headphones. (V-Moda Crossfade LP 2)
Rolanda Clodfelder
How do you guys feel about the Urbanearz Zinkels?

Coretta Arey
I recently bought the urbanears and they performed much better then I expected. I got them for around 70 dollars too. Great sound quality and isolation, and I have yet to have any durability issues. Ive seen some big names use them lately, only one I can believe of is Diplo who pretty much only uses these now. Definitely recommended!
Ming Devis
I've never seen them in person but they are sold online pretty cheap. Reviews rate them as fairly average in the sound quality department.
Georgia Caroon
How do you guys feel about the Urbanearz Zinkels?

<< Back to Reviews of DJ equipment Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy