How did you choose your producer/DJ name ?

How did you choose your producer/DJ name ?
Posted on: 10.06.2013 by Cameron Lopezchavez
Good evening guys ! I'm a bit stuck with choosing my "artist" name...
I would like to know what helped you to choose your own name ?
I only know that I'd like to build a invented first and last name (for example : Calvin Harris, Nicky Romero, Richie Hawtin,...) My real first name is Charles so if you have some "invented" last names that fit and sound great with it let me know !
Thanks !
(I'm from belgium,so, sorry for the spelling and grammar) =)
Terrell Allende
Originally Posted by jakeintox
I see a lot of guys basing their names off of childhood, or current nicknames, as these usually hold some personal meaning. My first and last names rhyme, so that's my dj name because that's what everyone calls me anyway.
True, some people have a background story to their name. I looked at my LG phone at the time and just spelled it out,hence my name Dj Elgi
Carisa Ridgel
Originally Posted by JZed
Mine is pretty simple, my initals happen to be J.Z. so now I'm J-Zed since Jay-Z has been done. It's my Canadian edit.
What happened to my spirit?

monogamm-eh

I knew something was missing.
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by charly302
I only know that I'd like to build a invented first and last name (for example : Calvin Harris, Nicky Romero, Richie Hawtin,...) My real first name is Charles so if you have some "invented" last names that fit and sound great with it let me know !
Thanks !
DJ Charles Prince?

Jayson Shabi
A friend's artist name is:
Melvin Warning

Fun fact, is that his real name, his birth name, in fact
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by padi_04
My last name is Padilla, friends used to call me Padi/Pado back in school (run by irishmen). Didn't take too long before I ended up as Paddy.
Don't tell me your first name is anthony...
Terrell Allende
Originally Posted by jakeintox
I see a lot of guys basing their names off of childhood, or current nicknames, as these usually hold some personal meaning. My first and last names rhyme, so that's my dj name because that's what everyone calls me anyway.
True, some people have a background story to their name. I looked at my LG phone at the time and just spelled it out,hence my name Dj Elgi
Carisa Ridgel
Originally Posted by JZed
Mine is pretty simple, my initals happen to be J.Z. so now I'm J-Zed since Jay-Z has been done. It's my Canadian edit.
What happened to my spirit?

monogamm-eh

I knew something was missing.
Robert Danno
Nicknames are the best - I feel that you get to keep some identity that way.
Sherrell Dargenio
Hellen Mindrup
Maybe go with a nickname if you have one... I went with "Kwal"(kay-wall) because it's a short way of pronouncing my last name.. Plus everyone knows me as Kwal already in my area so it wasn't hard to pick.
Anibal Hoormann
Or don't put "DJ" in front your name and call you Prince Charles
Lilliana Perris
Originally Posted by charly302
Thanks !
DJ Charles Prince?

Jayson Shabi
haha cool

Nice to see there's a lot of Dutchies here..
No, I'm not going to request a seperate Dutch community (don't believe it's necessary)
Alease Fitch
Also my name came from my real name.
My real name is Jos Vlaar, so that's J V, wich is pronounced as Jayvee ^^
Jayson Shabi
Try to pronounce it the Dutch way
Alease Fitch
I'm from Holland and I still read it as 'a warning' :P
Jayson Shabi
A friend's artist name is:
Melvin Warning

Fun fact, is that his real name, his birth name, in fact
Emelina Chillson
Dj Heaven was taken.
Nedra Fresneda
I'm a ginger ninja in disguise.
Latoria Kavulich
he's irish, obviously
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by padi_04
My last name is Padilla, friends used to call me Padi/Pado back in school (run by irishmen). Didn't take too long before I ended up as Paddy.
Don't tell me your first name is anthony...
Nedra Fresneda
Ethel Feigum
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Polygon
it's not "dj reloop" isn't it?
j/k :P
Ahaha no
Dannie Dimora
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
A promoter gave me a "DJ name" when advertising for an event I was headlining, and he's used it ever since haha. I basically had no input into the matter, which is kinda annoying since I'm not even sure I can legally use it since it's also the name of a big (albeit not music-related) company lmao.
it's not "dj reloop" isn't it?
j/k :P

to OP, you'll have to come up with something of your own, as dripstep said, you're only going to get silly and unsuitable names.
YOU have to find what suits you the best. Because in the end you are the one that's going to live with the name, and not some dude on some community
Doreen Schurle
A promoter gave me a "DJ name" when advertising for an event I was headlining, and he's used it ever since haha. I basically had no input into the matter, which is kinda annoying since I'm not even sure I can legally use it since it's also the name of a big (albeit not music-related) company lmao.
Nereida Jasnoch
From where in Belgium ? What music do you like ?

EDIT: oh just saw it said Brussels
Carisa Ridgel
Richie Hawtin is not an invented name, it's his actual name. Or am I completely crazy?

To your topic. I got back into mixing and to put stuff out (mixes, social media, etc) I needed to come up with the name. I didn't want to overbelieve it, but at the same time still cared enough to like what I chose, not later be OK with it. Was listening to an album at the time and on my way to work one of the lyrics jumped out at me even though I heard it tens of times by that point. So monogammee it is I thought.
Maranda Cowels
Well, what kind of music are you into ?
Anything to do with jazz or funk and I'd suggest Charles Ray.
Let us know, your music is a massive influence.
I mean you wouldn't find a HipHop DJ called FuzzWobbles, but I can see it being used for a trance or electro house DJ.

Malyatrax out.
Yong Aptekar
Don't ask for name ideas, you're going to get a bunch of sarcastic and silly names.

I will answer your subject question though. I used to write graffiti in my younger, stupider days, and among many names, I used to write drip. When I started DJing, I was spinning mostly tech step and dubstep, so dripstep kinda had a nice ring to it. Plus I like the way it looks written out, lower case "d".

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy