Video Camera Recommendations.

Video Camera Recommendations.
Posted on: 22.07.2013 by Len Lukawski
Hey Guys,

I am sending one of my marketing guys out to The Mandalay Bay in Vegas in September for 5 days to shoot a conference my company will be at. We have been using the Canon 60D for video we shoot in our makeshift studio at the office, but that won't cut it for the Vegas trip.

We are looking for something that:

1. Will shoot for a couple of hours without overheating or running into any filesize/time limitations (The 60D maxes out at 12 minutes. We know there are hacks around this but we're not interested in pursuing those at this time).
2. Will deliver a quality image in a range of environments such as a show environment (inside, well light stage, no lighting around the audience), on the move (both inside and out), low-light conditions etc.
3. Has (or can be ordered with) some kind of shoulder or other stabilizing device for walking while shooting.
4. Can integrate with an external mic (we have the Tascam DR40 field recorder)
5. Has cost-effective lense options

Budget - I am not sure sure at this point. Thinking $1,000-$1,500 - so not a huge amount of money.

Hit me with your suggestions!!!

Cheers,
Hipolito Scionti
Originally Posted by deevey
Or even the XA10 might do the trick and gets favorable reviews (and apparently good in low light conditions).

Guess it depends how "pro" the end result is supposed to be
yeah that's decent too
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Patch
JEBUS!!!

tripod3.jpg

Check out that little ass camera at the back/front*

*I got no idea what end of the camera that is...
That's the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera I recommended With an MFT to PL mount adapter and an Arri / Fujinon Alura 18-80 f2.6.

The rest of the rig appears to be a Chrosziel follow focus (worth about
Brunilda Kora
JEBUS!!!

tripod3.jpg

Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by MaxOne
I've worked in TV as a Producer / Director for over 10 years.

I own a canon 60D and it's fun but only for certain kinds of projects (not TV really but personal / corporate)

If you want a DSLR look but with pro video features I'd say Canon C300. Get a zoom lens though, primes are a mare for actuality.

If you're less bothered about how it looks but want good HD (ie you can live without flmic / shallow depth bidniz) want some thing cheapish then Canon XF305 is a good solid workhorse. Plenty of TV is shot on these still.

If it were me i'd say the Canon C300.

A set up like this would be good http://vmi.tv/gear /7/shooting-k...shoot-kit-hire
I believe the budget was $1500 not $15,000
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by Ham
Completely, not true. The BBC standard is 4:2:2 and the rest of the world essentially run's there standards off what the BBC do. House (the american show, fairly big) used Canon DSLRs exclusively for a few shows and they record at 4:2:0, movies don't 'require' anything, they can be shot on whatever they want to be shot on, iPhones and GoPro's alike have been used on hollywood films since there inception.
The BBC standard for broadcast (i.e. at point of transmission is 4:2:2 while most other broadcasters are 4:2:0), but for their big drama productions, for example, the acquisition must be done at 4:4:4. This is listed in the commissioning papers, and was up until at least 3 years ago...maybe its changed.
I know the episode of house your talking about, it was an end of season finale. They only went with the Canon DSLRs to show it could be done...and Canon paid them big money to do so, i have an article about it somewhere in my Broadcast Engineering Magazine archive. They mentioned the work flow was a pain and the lack of timecode made the edit a evening mare.

I've also never seen GoPro footage in any Hollywood film, if it has been, it will be only of been the case if a cast member is seen using one, they would cut to the footage as a quick cut away at best. I know TV shows use GoPros where they sacrifice quality for usability

I wouldnt pick a DSLR for this job, the OP said 'Will shoot for a couple of hours without overheating or running into any filesize/time limitations (The 60D maxes out at 12 minutes' which is the case with all DSLRs. Also the 'Will shoot for a couple of hours' suggest to be that the camera op will purely be shooting presentations head on with few chances to get cut aways etc...
Cindie Somoza
Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk
Yeah i know, but its not really a 'professional' camera though. its a nice but niche camera, it only records at 4:2:2, which is substandard for big TV productions and film which all require uncompressed 4:4:4
Completely, not true. The BBC standard is 4:2:2 and the rest of the world essentially run's there standards off what the BBC do. House (the american show, fairly big) used Canon DSLRs exclusively for a few shows and they record at 4:2:0, movies don't 'require' anything, they can be shot on whatever they want to be shot on, iPhones and GoPro's alike have been used on hollywood films since there inception.
Doreen Schurle
Yeah i know, but its not really a 'professional' camera though. its a nice but niche camera, it only records at 4:2:2, which is substandard for big TV productions and film which all require uncompressed 4:4:4 and it only had a mini jack input for a mic...which is not professional either...i know in film audio is recorded separately but still...
Well from what it sounds like this is more for "event videography", and possibly YouTube reviews, which is a WAY different ballgame don't forget. Decent, wide, fast MFT lenses are WAY cheaper than the equivalent cine lenses; although admittedly there are a few decent video cams on the market atm which take EF mount, but the point still stands.

As for the XLR thing, that's really only an issue when dealing with long cable runs... sounds like they're planning on using the Tascam for audio anyway. Either way, in terms of price/performance ratio I don't believe there's much better out on the market at the moment, considering the fact that the BMPCC can record 1080p RAW AND takes reasonably cheap lenses.

But tbh, you're probably in a better position than me to judge that since video isn't really my thing; I'm more of a stills guy.
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
The beauty about the Pocket seems to be that it takes standard M4/3rds lenses, some of which can be had for peanuts in comparison to cine lenses.
Yeah i know, but its not really a 'professional' camera though. its a nice but niche camera, it only records at 4:2:2, which is substandard for big TV productions and film which all require uncompressed 4:4:4 and it only had a mini jack input for a mic...which is not professional either...i know in film audio is recorded separately but still...
Doreen Schurle
The blackmagic cameras are pretty good, i played with their cinema camera last year at IBC and I fancy their pocket camera for myself, but they arent really things id recommend for filming a conference with, besides you would beed to get a decent telephoto/zoom lens for it...again im assuming the camera op will be at the back of the conference hall picking up stuff on stage (one more reason for a really good tripod).
The beauty about the Pocket seems to be that it takes standard M4/3rds lenses, some of which can be had for peanuts in comparison to cine lenses.
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Get one of these:
braun-nizo-148-super-8-cine-camera-640.jpg
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by smiTTTen
Hey Guys,

I am sending one of my marketing guys out to The Mandalay Bay in Vegas in September for 5 days to shoot a conference my company will be at. We have been using the Canon 60D for video we shoot in our makeshift studio at the office, but that won't cut it for the Vegas trip.

1. Will shoot for a couple of hours without overheating or running into any filesize/time limitations (The 60D maxes out at 12 minutes. We know there are hacks around this but we're not interested in pursuing those at this time).
2. Will deliver a quality image in a range of environments such as a show environment (inside, well light stage, no lighting around the audience), on the move (both inside and out), low-light conditions etc.
3. Has (or can be ordered with) some kind of shoulder or other stabilizing device for walking while shooting.

Budget - I am not sure sure at this point. Thinking $1,000-$1,500 - so not a huge amount of money.

Cheers,
Rent a RED Epic tbh dude.

If you specifically want to BUY something, apparently this is the hot ticket at the moment: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/p...etcinemacamera
Len Lukawski
Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Hipolito Scionti
Originally Posted by deevey
Or even the XA10 might do the trick and gets favorable reviews (and apparently good in low light conditions).

yeah that's decent too
Ivana Ellsworth
You could by a nice camera with lot of video capturing time. Maybe 2 hours or even more..
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by Patch
JEBUS!!!

tripod3.jpg

That's the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera I recommended With an MFT to PL mount adapter and an Arri / Fujinon Alura 18-80 f2.6.

The rest of the rig appears to be a Chrosziel follow focus (worth about
Brunilda Kora
JEBUS!!!

tripod3.jpg

Meridith Betsinger
Just rent a video camera and be done with it. Several very good recommendations in here already.

The problem you'll run into with a lot of the interchangeable lens bodies will be the need for an external recorder (Aja Ki Pro, Atomoros Samurai just to name a few) and huge file sizes which don't seem all that warranted given a conference setting and also the budget.

You may run into the file issue with most of the gear out there given you want to record for a long time.

Take into account you'll need multiple memory cards.

You could consider a glidecam for image stabilization but beware as with most of these devices it requires to set it up to the gear on it and make fine adjustements.

gear list gonna be crazy
-camera (b roll camera as well?)
-extra batteries (you can't be sure about power options sometimes)
-extra memory cards
-double your backups!=multiple hard drives
-wireless mic, shotgun mic, long cable leads to take sound direct from the soundboard
-video tripod with fluid head
-stabilizer/shoulder mount
-laptop for handling the files
Rolanda Clodfelder

Hipolito Scionti
I personally believe it's better to hire gear on a job by job basis you aint gonna get anything pro for $1500 but you can hire pro for $150 dollars.

To get near what he wants maybe a 2nd hand Sony EX1 or EX3

Canon XF100 maybe... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4889B001-C...item5d3df8c890

I'd still take the 60D for pretties and nice general shots if i ended up with a cheaper camera to record content and sound.

EDIT: XF100 shoots decent

Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by MaxOne

I own a canon 60D and it's fun but only for certain kinds of projects (not TV really but personal / corporate)

If you want a DSLR look but with pro video features I'd say Canon C300. Get a zoom lens though, primes are a mare for actuality.

If you're less bothered about how it looks but want good HD (ie you can live without flmic / shallow depth bidniz) want some thing cheapish then Canon XF305 is a good solid workhorse. Plenty of TV is shot on these still.

A set up like this would be good http://vmi.tv/gear /7/shooting-k...shoot-kit-hire
I believe the budget was $1500 not $15,000
Hipolito Scionti

Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by Ham
The BBC standard for broadcast (i.e. at point of transmission is 4:2:2 while most other broadcasters are 4:2:0), but for their big drama productions, for example, the acquisition must be done at 4:4:4. This is listed in the commissioning papers, and was up until at least 3 years ago...maybe its changed.
I know the episode of house your talking about, it was an end of season finale. They only went with the Canon DSLRs to show it could be done...and Canon paid them big money to do so, i have an article about it somewhere in my Broadcast Engineering Magazine archive. They mentioned the work flow was a pain and the lack of timecode made the edit a evening mare.

I've also never seen GoPro footage in any Hollywood film, if it has been, it will be only of been the case if a cast member is seen using one, they would cut to the footage as a quick cut away at best. I know TV shows use GoPros where they sacrifice quality for usability

I wouldnt pick a DSLR for this job, the OP said 'Will shoot for a couple of hours without overheating or running into any filesize/time limitations (The 60D maxes out at 12 minutes' which is the case with all DSLRs. Also the 'Will shoot for a couple of hours' suggest to be that the camera op will purely be shooting presentations head on with few chances to get cut aways etc...
Cindie Somoza
Yeah i know, but its not really a 'professional' camera though. its a nice but niche camera, it only records at 4:2:2, which is substandard for big TV productions and film which all require uncompressed 4:4:4
Cindie Somoza
Do NOT rent any Red Camera, first of all, to rent one will easily blow your budget, plus you won't have anywhere near the needed post-production hardware/software to cope with 4k RAW files.

Also, with that budget you have, you're going to have to rent, not buy, the canon DSLRs are really the last stretch around that price range. (You can forget any talk about BlackMagic cameras as well).. which is the camera I personally own right now, the workflow costs will bone you.

If you want to go down the route of DSLR-type video cameras, I would go for the the Sony FS100/700, the Canon C100/300 or the Panasonic AF100, all these cameras have much simpler post-production workflows.

But I honestly wouldn't suggest those cameras, I've worked in the video industry since 2007 and I've seen many people who hear about the 'new' cameras that have amazing pictures, then they get it, film with it and are bitterly disappointed. Those type of cameras require a lot of work to get a decent looking image out of them, they're not point and shoot/out of the box cameras.

The type of camera you need is either the Sony EX1, Canon XL1 or Panasonic HPX250 (which I also personally have owned), these are workhorse cameras, they have EVERYTHING you need already on the camera, they don't fuck around with 40-odd lenses, they have 1 lens, which will cover everything. They have a microphone, they have, like I said, everything.

They'll be cheap to rent and you'll get everything you need in a deal package, the post-workflows are simple as well.
Doreen Schurle
Well from what it sounds like this is more for "event videography", and possibly YouTube reviews, which is a WAY different ballgame don't forget. Decent, wide, fast MFT lenses are WAY cheaper than the equivalent cine lenses; although admittedly there are a few decent video cams on the market atm which take EF mount, but the point still stands.

As for the XLR thing, that's really only an issue when dealing with long cable runs... sounds like they're planning on using the Tascam for audio anyway. Either way, in terms of price/performance ratio I don't believe there's much better out on the market at the moment, considering the fact that the BMPCC can record 1080p RAW AND takes reasonably cheap lenses.

But tbh, you're probably in a better position than me to judge that since video isn't really my thing; I'm more of a stills guy.
Teresia Janusch
Originally Posted by mdcdesign
Doreen Schurle
The blackmagic cameras are pretty good, i played with their cinema camera last year at IBC and I fancy their pocket camera for myself, but they arent really things id recommend for filming a conference with, besides you would beed to get a decent telephoto/zoom lens for it...again im assuming the camera op will be at the back of the conference hall picking up stuff on stage (one more reason for a really good tripod).
Teresia Janusch
What are the audio requirements? Does the camera op need to pick up sound from the conference PA system? Can he get a split of the podium mic? Any camera with at least 1 XLR input I guess would do the job.

The smallest camera we use in work is a JVC GY-HM100, it records ProRes, has two XLR inputs (one for the top mic) and records onto SD card. It also has 9db of gain which can be used in low light, I believe it will go higher but the picture gets too grainy if you go much over 9db. The workflow isnt too bad either, the footage can be dropped straight into FCP. Id recommend a good tripod too, with a fluid head...normal photographic tripods wont cut the mustard.

This is my showreel from a few years ago...bits of it were shot on the JVC camera I mentioned, the Saturdays stuff, the factory stuff but mainly the ice Hockey stuff in the second half
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Get one of these:
braun-nizo-148-super-8-cine-camera-640.jpg
Doreen Schurle
Originally Posted by smiTTTen
Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Rent a RED Epic tbh dude.

If you specifically want to BUY something, apparently this is the hot ticket at the moment: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/p...etcinemacamera

<< Back to Free word - say whatever you like which does not fit under the other topics.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy