So I've been asked to do some mixes for a top restaurant in Brighton...

Home :: General Discussion :: So I've been asked to do some mixes for a top restaurant in Brighton...Reply
So I've been asked to do some mixes for a top restaurant in Brighton...
Posted on: 09.12.2013 by Alycia Niederriter
Yo,

2nd post of the day, I hope you don't get too pissed off. This isn't one of my usual controller/soundcard/amp threads or w/e been too many to count, I know, I know..

I'm just asking have you got any tunes for me such as Chill out, some nice chilled house music etc. (Such as majestic casual, MrSuicideSheep, Eton Messy, Sub Soul and other YouTube channels with similair music) Something you would like when you're eating your dinner in a nice fancy restaurant?

I was eating in here with my girlfriend and I said I liked the music in here and I said I do a bit of DJing myself... Turns out I have been asked to do several mixes for this restaurant which was a pleasant surprise

I'm really thrilled and excited that I got asked to do this... Also they said they'll put me on their website which gives a bit of promotion I suppose all is good <3

If you're interested in the restaurant you can look at it here.. Real fine dining, top notch food and you can order everything off the menu http://64degrees.co.uk/

Not only that, it's the #3 restaurant in all of Brighton out of 753 restaurants on Trip Advisor.

Cheers
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by JBang
www.di.fm has some pretty good radio stations to check out. I would check out the Lounge and Chillhop stations.
Cheers man, used to go there to listen to A State of Trance every week
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet
Dude, you're amazing and not in the good way.

You've been given all kinds of advice on how to dig for music in this thread, and you post this question as the post AFTER someone posted a youtube video on Burial.

So take the advice given to you, listen to that video. In fact, go to the video's youtube page and look at the related content. (you don't even have to type in Burial or youtube in the browser, just right click the video and copy the video URL and paste it into a browser) I'm sure you'll find all kinds of other stuff from Burial. Then come back and tell us if they're psychedelic or not. And psychedelic is purely subjective while we're at it. And if you like it, explore some of the related content and record labels.
Well said!

And for this exact reason is why I never bother giving recommendations to people who say "recommend me something like this"

People are becoming too lazy, I don't get it as it's so easy to find new music, and to find related artists/labels etc

DIG DIG DIG

Thats the only way you'll find your OWN taste and your OWN style
April Burnap
Originally Posted by MyUsername
Yes his latest release was the weirdest one yet.
I get that you want to make gritty music, but there was so much distortion I couldn't get into it. I never really could get into Burial, I never understood the hype/what people liked so much about him. Someone care to explain ?

Sorry for off topic
Yeah, his new stuff isn't awesome. But I was more about 'Untrue'. Absolutely stunning album, obviously with the standout track being 'Archangel'.

In terms of not getting the hype, I guess it's just a matter of taste, no? Also, you have to be in the right frame of mind...

/threadjack
Nereida Jasnoch
Originally Posted by Ed Paris
i didn
Matt Kane
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Is Burial out of the question here?
i didn
Nereida Jasnoch
We want people to eat, not be overwhelmed by emotions

jk, I don't actually like burial

Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by Kwal
You remind me of a friend of mine...

He accepted a gig at what Rolling Stone magazine voted to be the #9 top club in the world

He didn't know how to use CDJs, he had to come over the evening before so I could show him the basics.

Moral of the story, master your craft before advertising it. This wasn't mean to be a ball busting post either, because unlike my good friend you at least have motivation. He just wants to be famous in front of his friends.
Inspiring
Brunilda Kora

just to name a few artists:

-Agoria
-Air
-Akufen
-Apparat
-Boards of Canada
-Burial
-Electric Mojo
-Ellen Alien
-Ez3kiel
-Fairmont
-Flume
-Flying Lotus
-Guns of Brixton
-Lamb
-Laurent Garnier
-M83
-Massive Attack
-Ministry of Sound
-Moderat
-Morcheeba
-Nightmares on Wax
-Murcof
-Moby
-Nightmares on Wax
-Omnitrio
-Peace Orchestra
-Poets of Rythm
-Portishead
-R
nayit ruiz jaramillo
Ok there's plenty of advice in here, more than enough. This milk is clearly about to go off so....

(Closed)
Nereida Jasnoch
^That 's a bit extreme don't you believe ? I mean who will remember this within a week ?
And people usually change for the better the longer they DJ. I'm sure he 'll learn how to dig eventually.

For example there was this dude on here (forgot the name) and everybody knew him as an obnoxious troll, but after a sanction or slap on the wrist from the mods he turned out a pretty chill guy. So no need for the hate.
Lilliana Perris
Daily Crisis.... You are building up a lot of negativity towards yourself on here.

Just a suggestion here.....

1) Actually take the advice given, that you asked for (or risk being an askhole)
2) Then delete your profile and create a new one and come back as ANON.

Restarting is gonna be your best bet. Any further threads you start are gonna start getting jacked badly.

And I say the above in the nicest sincerest way mate. Else you just gonna get pounded here....

Use it...don't use it.
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by JBang
www.di.fm has some pretty good radio stations to check out. I would check out the Lounge and Chillhop stations.
Cheers man, used to go there to listen to A State of Trance every week
Maryam Fevold
April Burnap
Wow, apologies for the Burial-related tension. To get us back on topic, may I suggest some Pretty Lights as appropriate?

If you ignore the over sampled Eta James vox (goddamn Levels), he's got a really chilled vibe
Lawana Mileto

You've been given all kinds of advice on how to dig for music in this thread, and you post this question as the post AFTER someone posted a youtube video on Burial.

So take the advice given to you, listen to that video. In fact, go to the video's youtube page and look at the related content. (you don't even have to type in Burial or youtube in the browser, just right click the video and copy the video URL and paste it into a browser) I'm sure you'll find all kinds of other stuff from Burial. Then come back and tell us if they're psychedelic or not. And psychedelic is purely subjective while we're at it. And if you like it, explore some of the related content and record labels.
Well said!

And for this exact reason is why I never bother giving recommendations to people who say "recommend me something like this"

People are becoming too lazy, I don't get it as it's so easy to find new music, and to find related artists/labels etc

DIG DIG DIG

Thats the only way you'll find your OWN taste and your OWN style
Lakeesha Storman

Alycia Niederriter
I really wanna try Burial out now... Are they kinda psychedelic? Or some shit like that
April Burnap
Originally Posted by MyUsername
Yes his latest release was the weirdest one yet.
I get that you want to make gritty music, but there was so much distortion I couldn't get into it. I never really could get into Burial, I never understood the hype/what people liked so much about him. Someone care to explain ?

Sorry for off topic
Yeah, his new stuff isn't awesome. But I was more about 'Untrue'. Absolutely stunning album, obviously with the standout track being 'Archangel'.

In terms of not getting the hype, I guess it's just a matter of taste, no? Also, you have to be in the right frame of mind...

/threadjack
Nereida Jasnoch
i didn
Matt Kane
i didn
Nereida Jasnoch
We want people to eat, not be overwhelmed by emotions

jk, I don't actually like burial

April Burnap
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by Kwal

He accepted a gig at what Rolling Stone magazine voted to be the #9 top club in the world

He didn't know how to use CDJs, he had to come over the evening before so I could show him the basics.

Moral of the story, master your craft before advertising it. This wasn't mean to be a ball busting post either, because unlike my good friend you at least have motivation. He just wants to be famous in front of his friends.
Inspiring
Brunilda Kora

-Agoria
-Air
-Akufen
-Apparat
-Boards of Canada
-Burial
-Electric Mojo
-Ellen Alien
-Ez3kiel
-Fairmont
-Flume
-Flying Lotus
-Guns of Brixton
-Lamb
-Laurent Garnier
-M83
-Massive Attack
-Ministry of Sound
-Moderat
-Morcheeba
-Nightmares on Wax
-Murcof
-Moby
-Nightmares on Wax
-Omnitrio
-Peace Orchestra
-Poets of Rythm
-Portishead
-R
Hellen Mindrup
Originally Posted by Daily Crisis
You have got a point. Haha, I don't know anything about this music to be honest, although it is one google search away. I only listen to banging house

Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by HigherFi
Whatever you do, drop the entire mix in a DAW and reduce the bass a bit, use the normalizer and the limiter to level things out nicely. Otherwise a [typical] restaurant system will sound like ass.

And yeah, ever heard of the internets? It is just not difficult to find tunes, man. I mean, if you are really lost, drop a few tracks in pandora and see what it gives you. You told them you were a DJ, you didn't tell them you were going to ask a bunch of other DJ's because you're lazy. Own it, or admit that you suck at your job and move on. Maybe they'll hire you in the kitchen.
You have got a point. Haha, I don't know anything about this music to be honest, although it is one google search away. I only listen to banging house
Lakeesha Storman
Yes I was believeing of keeping it at 120BPM anyway. Thanks man I will have a look through these... Must of taken ages for you to put all of these together so cheers
I did a search on jazz in my track collection in Traktor and listened to a bit of a few of them. So it didn't take me much time at all, but you're welcome.
nayit ruiz jaramillo

-Agoria
-Air
-Akufen
-Apparat
-Boards of Canada
-Burial
-Electric Mojo
-Ellen Alien
-Ez3kiel
-Fairmont
-Flume
-Flying Lotus
-Guns of Brixton
-Lamb
-Laurent Garnier
-M83
-Massive Attack
-Ministry of Sound
-Moderat
-Morcheeba
-Nightmares on Wax
-Murcof
-Moby
-Nightmares on Wax
-Omnitrio
-Peace Orchestra
-Poets of Rythm
-Portishead
-R
Shan Bauerly
Whatever you do, drop the entire mix in a DAW and reduce the bass a bit, use the normalizer and the limiter to level things out nicely. Otherwise a [typical] restaurant system will sound like ass.

And yeah, ever heard of the internets? It is just not difficult to find tunes, man. I mean, if you are really lost, drop a few tracks in pandora and see what it gives you. You told them you were a DJ, you didn't tell them you were going to ask a bunch of other DJ's because you're lazy. Own it, or admit that you suck at your job and move on. Maybe they'll hire you in the kitchen.
Alycia Niederriter

-Agoria
-Air
-Akufen
-Apparat
-Boards of Canada
-Burial
-Electric Mojo
-Ellen Alien
-Ez3kiel
-Fairmont
-Flume
-Flying Lotus
-Guns of Brixton
-Lamb
-Laurent Garnier
-M83
-Massive Attack
-Ministry of Sound
-Moderat
-Morcheeba
-Nightmares on Wax
-Murcof
-Moby
-Nightmares on Wax
-Omnitrio
-Peace Orchestra
-Poets of Rythm
-Portishead
-R
Matt Kane

-Agoria
-Air
-Akufen
-Apparat
-Boards of Canada
-Burial
-Electric Mojo
-Ellen Alien
-Ez3kiel
-Fairmont
-Flume
-Flying Lotus
-Guns of Brixton
-Lamb
-Laurent Garnier
-M83
-Massive Attack
-Ministry of Sound
-Moderat
-Morcheeba
-Nightmares on Wax
-Murcof
-Moby
-Nightmares on Wax
-Omnitrio
-Peace Orchestra
-Poets of Rythm
-Portishead
-R
Alycia Niederriter
Only cause I feel like a jack...for posting what I posted earlier. (even though I still believe you need to be digging)

Some of my favs that I believe would work...Sueno Latino - Luxuria and Sueno Latino; Chuck Daniels - Be Mine; Evan Iff - Faith & Trust; Gabriel Ananda and Alice Rose - Piece of Ya Soul; Kevin Yost - 2 Wrongs Making It Right; Larry Herd - Theme From Guidance; (although I'm guessing he has a lot more stuff that could fit in this) Guti - Hope; QX1 - State of 727 West; Lee Delay - Getting There; Mano LeTough - Everything You've Done Before (Dixon Remix); Rober Gaez - Drunkin Preacher; (just tell the staff at the restaurant you're trying to help out the bar sales with this tune) MiDiMAN and Anturage - For the Sake of Your Love; and Nora En Pure - Come With Me. Use these in conjunction with Theo Parrish as listed above and the link I sent earlier. Find out what labels these are on and if you like any of the recommendations, find some other stuff these artists and the labels these songs came out on.

Check out 90's deep house and Lazy Dog records.

Some soulful house might work as well: Juan Loca - Housetribz; Colette - Oasis; Marianto - Simple World; South Street Player - (Who) Keeps Changing Your Mind

Also, Balearic tunes would probably be good for that situation...youtube, beatport, traxsource it...

Any mix you make is going to come out a lot better if you love the music you're playing as opposed to music some other person tells you to play. So find stuff in this area that you really love. And keep the BPM lower, even if the songs are 128 BPM. I'd probably go 120ish, not really anything over 122 IMO.

Good luck dude.
Yes I was believeing of keeping it at 120BPM anyway. Thanks man I will have a look through these... Must of taken ages for you to put all of these together so cheers
Lawana Mileto
Originally Posted by Thumper

we should get some stickers or something made up with the slogan:

JUST DIG! YOU DIG?

Would certainly reduce the echo in here.
This!!
Lakeesha Storman
Only cause I feel like a jack...for posting what I posted earlier. (even though I still believe you need to be digging)

Some of my favs that I believe would work...Sueno Latino - Luxuria and Sueno Latino; Chuck Daniels - Be Mine; Evan Iff - Faith & Trust; Gabriel Ananda and Alice Rose - Piece of Ya Soul; Kevin Yost - 2 Wrongs Making It Right; Larry Herd - Theme From Guidance; (although I'm guessing he has a lot more stuff that could fit in this) Guti - Hope; QX1 - State of 727 West; Lee Delay - Getting There; Mano LeTough - Everything You've Done Before (Dixon Remix); Rober Gaez - Drunkin Preacher; (just tell the staff at the restaurant you're trying to help out the bar sales with this tune) MiDiMAN and Anturage - For the Sake of Your Love; and Nora En Pure - Come With Me. Use these in conjunction with Theo Parrish as listed above and the link I sent earlier. Find out what labels these are on and if you like any of the recommendations, find some other stuff these artists and the labels these songs came out on.

Check out 90's deep house and Lazy Dog records.

Some soulful house might work as well: Juan Loca - Housetribz; Colette - Oasis; Marianto - Simple World; South Street Player - (Who) Keeps Changing Your Mind

Also, Balearic tunes would probably be good for that situation...youtube, beatport, traxsource it...

Any mix you make is going to come out a lot better if you love the music you're playing as opposed to music some other person tells you to play. So find stuff in this area that you really love. And keep the BPM lower, even if the songs are 128 BPM. I'd probably go 120ish, not really anything over 122 IMO.

Good luck dude.
Will Spinello
DC, Just go out and buy all the Theo Parrish records you can find. I would definitely eat at a place that played Theo Parrish.
Will Spinello
Originally Posted by amadeus
Instead of just asking straight out, why don't you actually have a dig for some yourself?

There's plenty out there, got plenty of sources to find stuff out.

we should get some stickers or something made up with the slogan:

JUST DIG! YOU DIG?

Would certainly reduce the echo in here.
Lakeesha Storman
Originally Posted by amadeus
Instead of just asking straight out, why don't you actually have a dig for some yourself?

Was believeing the same thing...kids these days, always wanting something for doing nothing.

Anyway, here's a link that should get you started: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jazzy+deep+house+youtube
Lawana Mileto
Songs, artists, labels?

Hellen Mindrup
I was believeing of suggesting some IDM.

That's some real stuff right there.
Alycia Niederriter
Originally Posted by Karlos Santos
If I heard Trap (any kind, chilled or not) in a restaurant I'd ask for my money back and leave a terrible review on Trip Advisor

I'm sure we had a big thread on this kind of chilled, jazzy type stuff once. There were loads of great posts.

Just get all the 'Verve Remixed' compilations and play them.
Totally agreed. It's like asking for chilled Hardstyle, in a restaurant.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy