New open source key detection tool

Home :: General Discussion :: New open source key detection toolReply
New open source key detection tool
Posted on: 30.09.2011 by Kari Spindel
Hey all,

I just finished a computer science course and built a key detection tool for DJs as my final project. The tool is called KeyFinder. It's designed to work primarily with EDM, but it's highly tweakable and I've had decent results with various genres.

In addition to a batch key detection interface which can write to metadata tags, it includes a musical visualisation tool called a chromagram. I've found this quite useful for visualising chord structures, melodies and key changes, and I believe it's pretty unique in the DJ software world; I haven't seen any other tools that have something similar.

I got good accuracy during my experiments but unfortunately I didn't test it on a wide selection of music. I had very little time and had to key it all manually and then get the results verified. It would be great to improve KeyFinder to work on a wide variety of genres.

So I'm releasing it for free under the GPL, in the hope the community finds it useful. It's a bit primitive, and for Mac only at present, but it should be pretty simple to port to Windows if there's interest.

If you want to try it you can download a Mac binary here. My write-up which describes the algorithms is also there if you're into that kind of thing. If anyone has any interest in working on it, or any comments or questions, feel free to get in touch here or using the email address on that page.

Cheers
Kari Spindel
Originally Posted by SlayForMoney
Don't have iTunes. WinXP SP3
The next version will include more detailed logging of the startup processes so I should be able to learn more if the issue persists.
Isa Erik
Originally Posted by ibsh
That's a fair guess. That or the XML loading for iTunes libraries or whatever. Windows? Mac?

I don't believe the log will tell me anything in this case. But I'll take a look at the update code.
Halley Wurzer
If you're certain it's the latest version (I updated for Mavs yesterday), I don't know what to tell you. Can you send me the crash report please?
Ahh maybe I jumped the gun. I just downloaded the latest version from your site and it works so I probably didn't have it. Sorry about that! Thank you!
Kari Spindel
Originally Posted by DJ SB
Keyfinder isn't working for me with OS X Mavricks. I have the latest version, and when launched, I get "key finder quit unexpectedly...") Any updates planned? Thanks again ibsh for this awesome piece of software!
If you're certain it's the latest version (I updated for Mavs yesterday), I don't know what to tell you. Can you send me the crash report please?
Kari Spindel
Not much. Starts, then after 2-3 seconds just disappears from desktop. Maybe something related with to the automatic "new version is available" query? On the older version I usually get that message after 2-3 sec.
Does KeyFinder have any log file?
That's a fair guess. That or the XML loading for iTunes libraries or whatever. Windows? Mac?

I don't believe the log will tell me anything in this case. But I'll take a look at the update code.
Isa Erik
Anyone got any details on your crashes?
Not much. Starts, then after 2-3 seconds just disappears from desktop. Maybe something related with to the automatic "new version is available" query? On the older version I usually get that message after 2-3 sec.
Isa Erik
Originally Posted by Jester
For some reason this is happening with me now. A few seconds after loading up, keyfinder closes. I tried some older versions with the same issue.
Is there something in the registry i can remove that may fix this?
run the batch analysis and look if it crashes on a specific song, that might be the reason
Latoria Kavulich
Originally Posted by kooper1980
Reinstalled and same thing happened again. Start the batch analysis and i get the balloon of death after about 10%

Anyone else having issues?
For some reason this is happening with me now. A few seconds after loading up, keyfinder closes. I tried some older versions with the same issue.
Isa Erik
same here. crashes every time. Not managed to key one tune with this version.
also winXP?
Pierre Massner
Hi Ibrahim, decided to redo ALL my files with KF as they were a mix of various key detection software results as yours is accurate and flexible. Even though Traktor will handle the basics, it won't append to file names, thanks for that. Quick question splitting hairs...is there any way to implement drag/drop onto the KF icon is OSX?
Lorri Bobar
tried the most recent installer for keyfinder, not working on mavericks. won't even open. anyone been able to run it on mavericks?

--

edit: got it working, I had to go into system prefs > security > general and make it so apps from 'anywhere' (any distributor) will open.
Isa Erik
Funny thing: downgraded to 1.22 version, on my PC it works but on my laptop it keeps crashing (even though it worked before)
Kari Spindel
The next version will include more detailed logging of the startup processes so I should be able to learn more if the issue persists.
Isa Erik

Halley Wurzer
Ahh maybe I jumped the gun. I just downloaded the latest version from your site and it works so I probably didn't have it. Sorry about that! Thank you!
Kari Spindel
Originally Posted by DJ SB
Keyfinder isn't working for me with OS X Mavricks. I have the latest version, and when launched, I get "key finder quit unexpectedly...") Any updates planned? Thanks again ibsh for this awesome piece of software!
Halley Wurzer
Kari Spindel

Isa Erik
Anyone got any details on your crashes?
Kari Spindel
Oh, also the older version links are back up on the website.
Kari Spindel
Hey guys, sorry; DJTT stopped emailing me when this thread was updated. So I didn't see any of your messages. Anyone got any details on your crashes? On Mac in particular, it should be easy to get a crash report.

I just uploaded v1.25 for Mac which should take care of crashes on Mavericks, but any further details you have would be useful.
Isa Erik
I've reverted to the 1.22 version for now
Latoria Kavulich
no songs loaded mate, just all of a sudden the program closes after 20 seconds or so. only happened the last day or so, i'll try again.
Isa Erik
Originally Posted by Jester
run the batch analysis and look if it crashes on a specific song, that might be the reason
Latoria Kavulich
Reinstalled and same thing happened again. Start the batch analysis and i get the balloon of death after about 10%

Karen Burger
Thanks !
Kristofer Krauel
no i'm on a mac. I have to force quit to get out of the app.
Isa Erik
also winXP?
Kristofer Krauel
Isa Erik
I'm having crashes with 1.24 on winXP a few seconds after loading. no songs loaded.
i'll try to reinstall then report
unfortunately, no luck with this version
crashes after running for 2-3 sec (not even analyzing any song as i've said), tried on my laptop & PC (both on winXP).
where can I get older versions? I know 1.22 worked perfectly for me
Isa Erik
I'm having crashes with 1.24 on winXP a few seconds after loading. no songs loaded.
i'll try to reinstall then report
Latoria Kavulich
working fine over here dude
Kristofer Krauel

Kristofer Krauel
so i updated to 1.24 and the first batch analysis i started (10 tracks) seems to have crashed the program. All ive got is the apple "balloon" and I cant shut it down. anyone else had any issues?
Latoria Kavulich
you can change all that in the prefs.
Season Bergere
I put in the custom key codes in the preferences section, but it saves the key as Amin for example instead of 8A - why?
Because I put 8A in the custom code in this instance.

Also it sometimes puts the same key - example, Detected Gm is given as Cmin, and also Detected Cm is given as Cmin - so why both?
Brunilda Kora
Does having a good ear mean you say things or believe things like "wtf is this shit this sounds exactly like "x" or damn this track would go great with "y"?".
No.

Saying things like that just means that you THINK you have a good ear.

Consistantly putting 2 tracks together that sound great means that you have a good ear.
Giselle Giffels
Real talk.

Does having a good ear mean you say things or believe things like "wtf is this shit this sounds exactly like "x" or damn this track would go great with "y"?".

JUST ASKIN'
Season Bergere
Yes obviously,`Harmonic mixing does not a good dj make' - the programs are just tools to make finding matching keys in your collection quicker IMO.
I have classical musical training so know when a track is complementary lol and I hope most people's ears do too
I just didn't know (but now do) the accuracy of these programs for helping organise one's music collection.
Latoria Kavulich
Clashing tracks should be obvious as fcuk to even a novice. Complementary tracks are a different story.
Harmonic mixing does not a good dj make, but adds some polish to an already good mix imo.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy