Where can I find 24bit/96Khz music?

Home :: General Discussion :: Where can I find 24bit/96Khz music?Reply
Where can I find 24bit/96Khz music?
Posted on: 11.12.2013 by Vikki Falkenrath
I see this as the limit of sound quality for many sound devices, like CDJs and etc.
But where can I get tracks with this quality?
I can't seem to get nothing higher than 16bit/44,1khz at beatport.
I'm just curious, I know I won't hear the difference with my headphones or speakers.
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by 3heads
My post wasn't directed at you, but rather at Daniboy who seems to believe both signify the same thing, which they don't
who says I don't know what bit rate is?

I said I can hear the difference of quality between tracks with different bit rates. Am I the first person you meet to say it? There is a whole market for 1411kbps tracks..
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
Bit rate =/= bit depth. I made a typo in my previous post, I was referring to bit depth. Although bit rate is a function of bit depth and sample rate, and thus has rather immediate diminishing returns to scale.
My post wasn't directed at you, but rather at Daniboy who seems to believe both signify the same thing, which they don't
Nancey Inderlied
I have my doubts about this as well. But be that as it may, comparing the bitrate of a lossless file to the bitrates of lossy compression formats is absurd.
Bit rate =/= bit depth. I made a typo in my previous post, I was referring to bit depth. Although bit rate is a function of bit depth and sample rate, and thus has rather immediate diminishing returns to scale.
Rolanda Clodfelder
I have my doubts about this as well. But be that as it may, comparing the bitrate of a lossless file to the bitrates of lossy compression formats is absurd.
It also depends on the mastering of the lossy track as well, with many tracks being re-mastered exclusively for lossy encoding in a different way than the lossless wav to "make up" for the lost/suppressed frequencies we as humans can pick up on.

A straight up rip from a CD to mp3 "can" be noticeable on certain tracks with certain frequencies, I don't believe for one moment that every 320kbps ripped track would be apparent - in a blind test

However if its been produced and mastered exclusively for lossy digital distribution the effects can be made up for to make it as clean as the original, albeit slightly "different sounding" .
Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by Patch
Honestly? You can take an .aiff file, convert it to a 320kbps .mp3 file, and tell the difference in a blind test?

Worrying about this type of thing is EXACTLY what will stop you from progressing as amusicion/DJ/perfomer. It's a distraction.
Yes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I've spent way too much time synchronising tracks and trying to find perfect beat superpositions.
Of course people in the crowd who don't DJ won't hear the difference, some of them won't even notice that the beats are drifting like hell.
But I will, and hearing clean sounds gets me in the mood when I'm playing.
Celestine Porebski
Originally Posted by Patch
Honestly? You can take an .aiff file, convert it to a 320kbps .mp3 file, and tell the difference in a blind test?

Worrying about this type of thing is EXACTLY what will stop you from progressing as amusicion/DJ/perfomer. It's a distraction.
Brunilda Kora
I hear the clear difference between AIFF and MP3

Vikki Falkenrath
Originally Posted by Shishdisma
No, there really isn't a huge difference, at least one brought on by the bitrate or sample rate. The difference between bitrates literally has nothing to do with sound quality, and cannot be heard by human ears anyway. While a high sample rate only has one specific purpose on one specific part of the digital chain. Both are literally a waste of space otherwise.
I hear the clear difference between AIFF and MP3, so bitrate surely has to do with sound quality..... if it doesn't than what does??
Tesha Freudenstein
only 24bit track i own have been given away directly by producers.
Nancey Inderlied
Originally Posted by M.Beijer
I get few tracks from the naim label and http://www.highresaudio.com/ however there's not alot of music there which I use for djing.
Just for listening at home, and boy, there is a huge difference but as someone mentioned it's not worth to bring to a club.
You will need some serious HiFi to make it worth with high res audio.
No, there really isn't a huge difference, at least one brought on by the bitrate or sample rate. The difference between bitrates literally has nothing to do with sound quality, and cannot be heard by human ears anyway. While a high sample rate only has one specific purpose on one specific part of the digital chain. Both are literally a waste of space otherwise.
Mimi Mahaffee
I get few tracks from the naim label and http://www.highresaudio.com/ however there's not alot of music there which I use for djing.
Just for listening at home, and boy, there is a huge difference but as someone mentioned it's not worth to bring to a club.
You will need some serious HiFi to make it worth with high res audio.
Adele Koscher
I agree with deevey, it's useful in production and for processing, but for the final output it's unnecessary despite what some folks say.

If the text of the previous link is a bit wordy, this is a fairly well known video that explains with some great demos too:

http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
Vikki Falkenrath
Hm, thanks
Rolanda Clodfelder
Originally Posted by Daniboy
I see this as the limit of sound quality for many sound devices, like CDJs and etc.
But where can I get tracks with this quality?
make them

I can't seem to get nothing higher than 16bit/44,1khz at beatport.
I'm just curious, I know I won't hear the difference with my headphones or speakers.
  • Because the file sizes would be huge
  • Because 16bit is already CD Audio
  • Because you won't hear the difference

Great topic on headfi ... http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bi...-myth-exploded

Bottom line really is that 24bit is only really useful for the studio mix when combining multiple tracks together it gives you more room to maneuver.

24/96 track in a club is a bit like driving a lamborgini in heavy traffic - utterly pointless

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy