Timecode Control Toggle

Home :: General Discussion :: Timecode Control ToggleReply
Timecode Control Toggle
Posted on: 17.10.2013 by Brunilda Kora
Can anyone tell me how I'd set up a switch for toggling between Timecode Control of 2 decks? I want to toggle between Deck B and D.

I've had a bash - but I'm getting in all sorts of trouble!

The functionality I want (attached to the deck toggle switch on the Zomo MC-1000) is:

Timecode control of Deck B.
Flick switch, and Deck B switches to internal mode, and Timecode Control switches to Deck D.
Flick switch again, and Deck D switches to internal mode, and Deck B switches BACK to timecode control.

I had some success - but it started to get confusing when I tried to have Timecode Control turn off and Internal mode turn on on a single deck.

This is the key for me to use 4 decks with control vinyl. Can it be done?
Lorri Bobar
You were pretty close, just that you weren't switching one deck off when you switched the new deck onto timecode.

Here is an edit on the mapping you attached:
Timcode Control Switch (PKF) fix.tsi

I did the edits in xtreme mapping, so it should work in traktor 2.6.0 and up.
Brunilda Kora
Nice one trux - check it out:

Timcode Control Switch (PKF).tsi
Lorri Bobar
i played around with switching timecode on synced tracks, and the sync doesn't turn off. in fact if it is out of phase when you switch it slows the record til it catches up to the master track.

is that what u are getting?
Brunilda Kora
Button A Sync Ch01.Note.D#0
Button C Sync Ch03.Note.D#0

Button B Sync Ch02.Note.D#0
Button D Sync Ch04.Note.D#0

I can see now why all you mapping ninjas are complaining about there only being 8 modifiers available!!!
Lorri Bobar
yeah, its like you need a condition on the reset tempo that says 'if deck # is synced, don't do this'. traktor doesn't natively let u pick that, but it's possible to do, using some pretty crazy modifier magics.

what is the button you use for sync? is it the same button for deck A and deck C?
Brunilda Kora
When a deck changes from Timecode Control to Internal Playback, Sync stays engaged, but it changes from Internal Playback to Timecode control, Sync disengages...

So, switching Timecode control over to a deck that is currently in internal playback, will cause sync to disengage.

Switching to Internal on a deck that is sync'd, stay's sync'd.
Lorri Bobar
ah, gotcha... hmm i don't use sync a whole lot so i'll have to do some experimenting.

can u explain where the synced deck is and what u are switching to when it turns off?

i.e. are u switching your timecode to a playing track that is already sync enabled, or are you switching to internal on a deck that is sync enabled?
Brunilda Kora
I was believeing more a way of STOPPING it switching off in the first place...
Alphonso Deitchman
Map Sync On to the switch?
Brunilda Kora
Hey - I've checked your mapping, and we're NEARLY there (you had the timecode assigned to the wrong side of the switch, though..)

The problem I'm having now, is that when you switch between internal and timecode, I start to have sync issues. Sync will turn off during the switch.

Any idea how to keep sync engaged during the switch, so that we don't get tracks going out of sync???
Lorri Bobar
You were pretty close, just that you weren't switching one deck off when you switched the new deck onto timecode.

Here is an edit on the mapping you attached:
Timcode Control Switch (PKF) fix.tsi

I did the edits in xtreme mapping, so it should work in traktor 2.6.0 and up.
Brunilda Kora
Nice one trux - check it out:

Timcode Control Switch (PKF).tsi
Lorri Bobar
oops, been so busy i forgot about getting back to u on this stuff. i'm doing some mapping work today to get my new mixer up and running. if u wanna upload your latest mapping i can check it out
Brunilda Kora
ARGH!!! I'm so close to getting this working I could SCREAM!!!

I'm pretty sure I've found a way using NO modifiers, just using Play/Pause and Playback Mode (REL) commands...

So close I can taste it!
Brunilda Kora
Groovy - look forward to it!
Lorri Bobar
stay tuned, i have done a similar mapping on quneo before - just gonna check it out to see if it will work for you. i believe it will be an easy mapping adjustment for you.
Brunilda Kora
^
Yup.
Kellie Myrum
Well if your hardware says A/C that usually mean this switch must send two different note or at least one same in a different MIDI channels
Brunilda Kora
Cheers makar1.

Switch for Deck A/Deck C
Switch in DECK A position: CH01.Note.C#2
Switch in DECK C position: CH01.Note.B1

Switch for Deck B/Deck D
Switch in DECK B position: CH01.Note.D2
Switch in DECK D position: CH01.Note.C2

(Just noticed how completely useless my last post was when I tried to describe the switch behaviour...)
Alphonso Deitchman
My CDJ switches send an "On" when flicked down, and an "Off" when flicked back up. You can check how your switch behaves by using the "Learn" feature in the Traktor Controller Manager, or with a monitoring program like MIDI-OX.

If they do in fact send separate notes you can use the modifier that was also within the image I linked.
Brunilda Kora
Massive thanks to makar1 for the image, and to Stewe for the help too!

I'll be back!

(I believe the issue here is that the switch send 2 completely separate, different notes when in the up or down position...)

Thanks for your patience, guys - I am FAR from an expert in mappings at the moment...

(Also, I'm defrosting the fridge and the freezer right now, and my Traktor machine is separate to my internet machine - so I'm doing a bit of juggling over here! Which, coincidentally, is the whole reason I'm trying to create this mapping in the first place!!!)
Kellie Myrum
Originally Posted by Patch
But the invert option only shows up when the button type is set to a different type than "Direct".
You should change to interaction where you have invert box available (assuming you're 2.5) then switch back to direct and invert would still apply.
Kellie Myrum
Pat, your Zomo switch act as a toggle type modifier so you wouldn't be needing a mod to achieve this.
Alphonso Deitchman
This is how my switch mapping looks, with the Invert option at the bottom. What's different in your mapping?

http://imgur.com/jrY7NZ0
Brunilda Kora
But the invert option only shows up when the button type is set to a different type than "Direct".

And I need it set to "Direct" so that I can have Internal Playback/Scratch Control selected. Don't I?
Alphonso Deitchman
Set both of them as "Button", having one inverted basically combines two button mappings into a Switch mapping.
Brunilda Kora
I don't get a "switch" option in my controller editor?
Alphonso Deitchman
If you want to modify a mapping from a pair of buttons to a switch, you map both functions to the switch and select "Invert" for one of them.
Brunilda Kora
Thanks makar1 - I've had a bash at this and came up with a FAIL.

I got REALLY close a couple of times, even when I added in the "Relative" mappings - but I just couldn't get the right behaviour.

I'd be really grateful if you could do a more detailed explanation.
Alphonso Deitchman
Look at my 1st reply. I was using the switch on my CDJs which should behave the same as the one on your Zomo.
Brunilda Kora
Hey trux - I've recreated your mapping (thanks for the awesome image!) but have run into a problem. I'm using a SWITCH (not Buttons) to toggle vinyl control. For info, the midi messages that the switches send:

Switch for Deck A/Deck C
Switch in DECK A position: CH01.Note.C#2
Switch in DECK C position: CH01.Note.B1

Switch for Deck A/Deck C
Switch in DECK A position: CH01.Note.D2
Switch in DECK C position: CH01.Note.C2

Any idea how I would assign these switches in your mapping? Or does it require a different mapping bearing in mind I'm using a switch, not buttons?
Brunilda Kora
Haven't had time to try it - but I appreciate the help and will let you know how I get on!
Lorri Bobar
hey patch, did that work out for you? lemme know if u have any more q's
Lorri Bobar
so i was told that tsi isn't working for u guys cos it is in latest version. here is a mini tutorial that explains what is in the mapping, it is very easy to recreate

howtoSwapTimecodeControl.jpg
Brunilda Kora
Thanks trux - I'll give that a go today and let you know how I get on!
Lorri Bobar
yikes, i wouldn't use that tempo adjust, cos you'll be resetting the tempo bend every time u switch. you wanna use deck common > timecode > reset tempo offset. it usually takes a second or two for traktor to 'refresh' the display of tempo offset, but it doesn't matter cos the turntable will be playing at whatever speed u have set it at.

anyway, here is a mapping that u can try. I use the deck swap buttons on my Kontrol S4, but you can map these to any buttons - one for switching A & C, one for switching B & D.

swapTimecodeControl.tsi

so, do a little import of this mapping - and assign one button to all the 'A & C' ones, and a different button to all the 'B & D' ones and let me knnow if u have any questions about it

and... if u are putting it on a button with midi out (led feedback) then i would use the 'modifier out' to get that led to show on/off.
Alphonso Deitchman
Deck Common > Tempo Adjust, Direct mode, Set to value 0. Not exactly complicated.

Same for Rel/Abs. Just map them to the same button or switch in direct mode.
Lorri Bobar
yeah, fairly sure there is a function that resets the tempo control - it doesn't zero it out but it 'refreshes' it to what the turntable is actually doing.
Tania Somppi
I don't believe I used a modifier when I did this - I just mapped rel/abs/int as the deck will switch to internal playback automatically as soon as you assign the timecode control to another deck.
I never switched back from internal to timecode tho because of the pitch fader being out of sync when you do ... and I had a pair of SCS3Ds with relative pitch faders and pitchbend controls for that lol There should be no real need to switch back to timecode control if you map pitch bend controls to a controller or keyboard mapping tho.
Halley Wurzer
Ya I always struggled with the getting the tempo in sync with the TT when switching deck control from internal back to relative.

<< Back to General DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy