Reply to $25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?

$25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?
Hello all!

I have been following the midi fighter project for a while, and know there are a lot of DIYers active here. I'm believeing about starting up a kit but I'm trying to judge interest before I do so; please don't take this as spam, I intend on releasing everything as open source hardware and software, and encourage people to mod it. It can very very easily be adapted to use up to 24 buttons, or any combination of buttons and knobs, with three buttons replacing each of the 8 knobs.

Anyways I've always been frustrated with the lack of dedicated knobs when using virtual synths, and recently put together a clever (IMHO) little circuit that is USB compatible, MIDI class compliant, and works with any modern OS (including iOS (iphone/ipad)) without any drivers.

It's 2"x4", USB powered; it has 8 knobs, a power led, and a microusb jack. It's great for ableton live, as most of their built in plugins have a simplistic 8 knob control scheme. Somewhat similar to a doepfor pcoket dial (http://www.doepfer.de/pd.htm), but thinner, USB only, and with 8 knobs instead of 16. Debating adding multiple banks, but haven't as of yet (seems silly to me when they are pots not encoders)

I've been running the numbers and believeing about creating a kickstarter for it. I believe if I sell at least 100 units, I can break even at the $20 price point for kits, and $25 for pre-assembled. This is, however, without a case I've been trying to figure out the best option for a case - for me, I would want folded sheet metal, but even plastic seems cost-prohibitive at such small quantity unfortunately.

I intend on offering a kit with all DIP parts except for the microusb connector, which will be soldered on by me, but I would also like to sell a pre-assembled version which may or may not be DIP.

Would anyone on here be interested? Is there a demand for something like this or am I a niche user? If you would be interested, would you but a kit or preassembled? Would you still buy it without a case (I'm guessing kits would, but non-kits wouldn't)? Or would you buy just a PCB? Or just etch it at home and DIY?

Thanks for your time! Hopefully I'm not alone in finding this useful, and I'll be posting a link to the kickstarter soon

You need to login in order to write on our forum

<< Cancel

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy