Reply to ITCH vs Scratch Live, Controller's vs CDJ's.

ITCH vs Scratch Live, Controller's vs CDJ's.
So. This is what I've come down to.

With the debut of the NS6 and DDJ-S1 at NAMM, those two would be my controllers of choice. Otherwise, going with a CDJ setup.

OPTIONS: (With Pictures!)

(Just googled the images to give the idea of what I'm talking about)

Numark NS6:

Pioneer DDJ-S1:

Pioneer CDJ-400 Setup: (Note: Not sold on the DJM400, but it's a solid image idea)

CDJ-350 Setup: (And really, I don't believe I could handle the white version lol) I do however like the DJM-350 with this setup. The USB recording feature is something I KNOW I would use.

I've also thought about the CDJ-850's, but then I'd really be pushing what I want for cost. In getting a CDJ setup, I'd want to add a DVS (SSL) down the road, and so feel I'd probably be more than happy with the 400 or 350's.

THOUGHTS:

I've long preferred Serato products over Traktor, and it really just comes down to personal preference. I respect Traktor and all that it can do, but I just can't get over the ugly and (personally) un-intuitive layout, and basically the NEED to sync (in my personal opinion).

So go with the basic CDJ's and a mixer, and get SSL down the road. Or get a controller that utilizes ITCH and go with that. Either way it's a very similar setup.

It seems to me like ITCH is somewhat of the "redheaded step-child" (unrelated note: my wife hates that term because she's a redhead, so I like to use it as often as possible) of Scratch Live at the moment. It's about a year behind in updates, or so it seems. So is jumping on ITCH always going to be so drastically behind?

I've always been a "power-user" so to speak. I want the most functionality out of what I purchase. I have the concepts down, and just lacking the gear to devote the time and gain the technical knowledge. Out of my crew, I'm the "Dubstep" go-to guy. I follow the shit like heroin. So I can't wait to drop the money on gear soon.

I'm actually really happy that these controllers came out. I really liked the S4, but my hesitation was with Traktor itself. And this solves this issue for me. I can stick with a Serato product and honestly be happier with it. And I also have the possibility of just learning on CDJ's and not using a DVS, which is something I'm really not opposed to.

I just believe a DVS (at least in the future) will be easier for file management since I purchase all of my music as Mp3's anyhow. (Less that I dislike CD's, and more about just being lazy about burning them).

COST/BUDGET:

Cost not being a huge issue, as these are all options that pretty much fall into my sub 2k budget plan at the moment. (Note: I don't plan on spending over 2k in my initial go, but I know I want something that I can transfer well over to a professional environment).

I currently DO NOT own a laptop. But as I am going back to school part-time (while maintaining full time work) I plan on picking up a laptop in the near future. So this is something I need OUTSIDE of DJing as well, and so it's in the plans for the near future. So I WILL have a laptop soon, even though I don't have one just at the moment. And this cost is NOT being considered into my "DJing" expenses, as I've convinced the wife that I need one for schoolwork.

MORE THOUGHTS:

So, if choosing between controllers, it's a tough call IMO. My biggest thing would be having experience on Pioneer products, because they are honestly what are installed at clubs. Given the DDJ-S1 isn't the same as a CDJ, but it's as damned close as you can get.

Both controllers use Serato ITCH. Both are honestly very similar in design. I like the cue point control location on the Numark Unit better, but that's not enough to sell me on it. Four deck control is something that's honestly more than I need. I could see using 2 decks, MAYBE 3 once I start getting in practice and would help with speed mixing, but that would be in the deeper future.

I guess part of it will come down to Jog Wheel feel, and just how both feel in comparison.

As far as CDJ's are concerned, I really do like the CDJ-400's a lot. If I can still get them, I'd hop on these over the 350's in a heartbeat I believe. I just feel like they are more intuitive, and having played with both jog's, I like the 400's better.

But honestly, I see myself using a DVS in the future, and not just pure CD's, and so it almost seems intuitive to just get a controller instead of a CDJ. Just cost wise alone, it's a wiser investment (even though the cost is quite similar in the end). I can't afford 900's or 2000's, and so I'm going with a "smaller" product no-matter which way I look at it.

QUESTIONS:

So for folks who have experience using ITCH and SSL, which would you recommend? Because that's what it really comes down to. All of these above products are very similar, and I am trying to make the decision.

Also, in terms of laptops, is the anti-glare on the Macbook Pro's really something I NEED? Or is the regular screen just fine. I don't plan on being a superstar anytime soon, but I just worry about not being able to see shit if there are some wild lights going around. I don't have any experience with computers in odd lighting environments, so any input on this would be quite helpful. (Note I'm still not sold on a Macbook, but this would be another thing that I would add to the list of wanting one)

Stepping into the game now, if you had no gear , would you go a CDJ or Controller route yourself.... and why?

Thank you for reading through this. I know I've made a couple similar posts over the past couple of months, but budget plans had changed. (I basically made the decision to spend the 1k+ I had saved on going to Ultra, and in so doing, put off making the gear purchase for a bit). (And sorry if you've seen this cross-posted. Posted basically the same thing on DJForums but also wanted the input from you guys for many different reasons)
You need to login in order to write on our forum

<< Cancel

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy