VCI-400 Problem

Home :: DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQ :: VCI-400 ProblemReply
VCI-400 Problem
Posted on: 20.11.2011 by Lise Kleinhaus
Hello,

i have a Problem with the Filterknobs on my VCI-400. I show this Problem in this Video:

http://youtu.be/J-kWu1YmEyM

If anyone have an answer let me know.
Kiera Swell
Originally Posted by DJQA
Are you sure you've selected the VCI ASIO driver, and not the WASAPI/WDM driver? Have you turned off multithreading in Traktor?
I
Melinda Wubben
Are you sure you've selected the VCI ASIO driver, and not the WASAPI/WDM driver? Have you turned off multithreading in Traktor?
Kiera Swell
I looked again... Its definitly not available in the Traktor options, if the VCI-400 is the audio device. If I use my old soundcard, I can switch between 44100 and 4800... I
robin loo
Originally Posted by Goomo
I tried, but this option isen
Kiera Swell
I tried, but this option isen
robin loo
switch the sample rate to 44100 hz
Kiera Swell
I tried... don
Dionne Bullock
Hi, you could try changing the priority in task manager. Since your other sound cards were fine, I'm sure this won't be a happy fix for you but if it works, I guess it's better than nothing.

Go to task manager, right click Traktor pro from applications and open the processes, right click the Traktor process (not sure how it would be displayed) and change the priority to "realtime".
Kiera Swell
Now I`ve even updated my whole system... problem stays...

Man... I played with a hercuels mp3 e2 for 2 years. The VC-400 should be my first pro-controller... I ordered and don
Dionne Bullock
I was hoping Azu would be the one that could help... Huh... I'm going to report this to the Vestax guys in Japan.
Israel Sulka
Same problem, only if set latency 85,4ms, sound without drops when loading tracks. i use Traktor 2.0.1 (Win XP, AMD 2x2.68GHz, 4GB RAM) and 2.1.2 (Windows Vista, Intel 2x2.2GHz, 2GB RAM). Other controllers (DDJ-T1, MEP7000+DJM5000, VCI100+Audio8DJ) on same setup work correctly with latency 8 - 12ms
VCI-400 driver not as WDM driver and not work with ASIO4ALL
Dionne Bullock
Hmm.. That's weird.. Maybe not the 2 and 4 but you should at least get 8 (512 samples) which is the default for most softwares as long as your PC meets the required specs. Maybe contact support?

May not be relevant to Windows users but it is common in OSX that selecting core audio (OSX default driver) produces better results than the driver that comes with the audio interface. If your device (VCI-400) is that of the driver that came with the software, I would try using windows default driver or ASIO for all.

I hope things work out for you. I have seen many windows laptops connected to VCI-400 working fine.
Kiera Swell
Sorry, you`re right. I forgot to delete my first post. Yesterday I was a little bit angry: I took the whole Friday off, just to play with my new VCI-toy and then this high latencys... So I spent the whole day for solving this Prob.

My Setup:
Traktor Pro 2.1.1
VCI-400
Windows 7 32bit PC (DualCore 2,00GHz; 3GB Ram)

Now Traktor:
I attached a pic of the configuration. Its the only configuration that delivers audio without glitching. With the VCI 400 you only have the possibility to "set the latency" to 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32ms (in an optional settings window). This sets the latency in Traktor to 5,4; 10,6; 21,4; 42,6; 85,4ms. So ou see I
Dionne Bullock
Hey Goomo, what's your set up and what's the buffer setting when you get the 85ms lag? Hardware, OS, and most importantly, what software are you using? The included VDJ-LE for example was next to useless running on my macbook air.

I only tested the VCI-400 at default but there were no recognizable audio issues and the latency was definitely not that bad. Any DJ could literally hear a 85 ms lag and thus this machine wouldn't have reached the market if that's the best it can do.

Plus, I'm not sure of the specific rules here but you shouldn't multi post this kind of stuff, it makes you sound like you just want to cause trouble for Vestax.
Kiera Swell
The audio interface causes a hugh latency of 85ms (that makes the controller useless for scratching, cuejugglin and everything you need a right timing for). I use the VCI-400 with my old soundcard (external YAMAHA), now I got 15,4ms latency, but in consequence the headphone-out becomes useless.
If I can
Melinda Wubben
Hey guys, since this thread seems to have turned into a more or less general discussion about the VCI-400, I was wondering if any new owners could answer some general questions about the controller:

1. Pitch fader resolution - do the faders send 14 bit MIDI? Is the actual resolution anywhere near 14 bits? I'm hoping to see a controller with CDJ precision in the faders.

2. Jog wheel resolution and response - anywhere near the S4 or the Numark Itch controllers? Hopefully better than a 1.4 VCI-100...

3. Audio interface - there was someone in the thread complaining about latency, but the screenshot looked like they were using WASAPI instead of ASIO. How low does it actually get? Are the drivers multiclient, so that you can record off the audio inputs with a different application while using an ASIO one for output? Has anyone done a loopback analysis using RMAA or similar?

Thanks!
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by shnufc
I want the new slimmed down set up to be simply this - macbook, controller, powered monitors.
NP
Originally Posted by shnufc
But I also need it to be able to drop into a full vinyl setup as well ideally, which would be macbook, controller into djm600, 2x 1210 amp - speakers.
This would be macbook, audio 4/6/8/10 (take your pick!) into DJM600 & 1210's in typical scratch setup. Then you would add in the controller to control loops, fx etc.
HANG ON - you say "drop into a full vinyl setup"?? - is this a DVS setup using traktor timecode records, or a non-DVS vinyl setup with those things... oh.... what are they called again, it's been too long... oh yeah, records
If DVS setup, then yeah, you'll need what I said below your second quote. If using with a vinyl setup using records, then you will essentially have a traktor setup playing mp3 and a vinyl setup playing records - you'd need a 3-channel mixer (yeah, I know that you probably know this, but trying to get an idea of what you are after). 2 channels for decks, and one for the output from the VCI400. OR you could run the output from your DJM600 and route it through deck C or D of the Vestax (I believe this means that you can get Traktor effects on your vinyl records, as the audio (I believe) goes into Traktor's deck C or D and then back out again - and ideas, someone with a 400??!).

So to clarify(!):
Do you want vinyl controlling Traktor (via timecode records) or just want to play your old vinyl tunes alongside your mp3s?

Hope you followed that. Setups are getting like this now... we need a doodlepad/'back of fag packet' feature in the community s to demonstrate setups simpler!
Rina Ashkenazi
ha. first off. no worries about believeing it was a sarcastic response. i was confusing myself trying to get what i mean over.

I guess i'm just making sure that it will do what i want to from the box, but have the ability to be tweaked to how i want it, before i go and spunk
Dionne Bullock
A few notes to make up for my sarcastic comments..

Specifically speaking of VCI-400:

The mixer feels like a real mixer. But it's vestax, quite different from pioneer (Knobs, faders). I guess you can touch them somewhere near you live?

The pre-fader channel LED is really crappy. They're like little lights to decorate the booth. Hard to tell the peak to start with because of the thick plastic, but what's almost like a joke is that the peak on the playing deck is hidden by the fader's cap. Too bad because it's one of the features that separates VCI-400 from cheaper controllers and gives it a more professional character.
Dionne Bullock
Since you asked for honesty - it's not really clear what you're asking...

I'll do my best to answer though.

1) Phono input is not an option in VCI.

2) If you're asking whether you'll miss the feel of vinyl control, I have no way of knowing sorry... some do, I don't. Using a set-top mixer and two 1210's to control tracks and volumes are quite different from using a single controller. You can't compare them really, until you familiarize yourself with the one you're not used to. You may not like it at first, you may always miss the vinyl feel, I can't tell. I felt sort of smaller and weaker when I switched to controllers but my current set up doesn't even have jog wheels and I'm having a grand time.

3) The feel of jog scratching in TP2 vs. TSP2 should be identical.

4) The mappings are the same. You just can't use scratch vinyl's with TP2 ->so no, there is no perceivable reason for you to want to go Traktor Pro.
Rina Ashkenazi
Hi,

I've been reading through the pages on this post and it looks like the peeps on here might be able to answer the questions I've got about the VCI400 & Traktor.

I've been DJ'ing for years, going from vinyl, to CDJ to final scratch to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 to give a bit of background. I'm looking at getting a controller as I need a smaller set up in my studio rebuild I'm undertaking in the new year.

I've been doing research on them for a while and the one thats caught my attention is the Vestax VCI-400 due to the layout, 4 deck operability along with 4 dedicated channel mixers, overall layout and also the ability to easily change and mark whats what is useful as well. I currently use a NI kontrol x1 alongside vinyl time control for looping etc and wanted to get something that did the vinyl control as well, so needs jog wheels. I've looked at the S4 but i'm not sold on the layout of it as much as the Vestax. The only thing I'm not sure about is I keep seeing its designed for Traktor Pro, not scratch. You can probably see where I'm heading here, but it raises the question that, is it going to play nice with Traktor scratch or is it going to need totally re-mapping and if so, how does that affect the jog wheel timing (lag etc) compared to vinyl control.

Ideally I wanted an all in one controller that I can plug into the Mac, alongside my other music hardware and ideally run one 1210 through the controller as well for monitoring when sampling etc. although this isn't a complete deal breaker as I can just plug that into my audio6 soundcard.

Is this a pipe dream controller or can the VCI-400 do what I want? I guess the main question I need to get an answer for is, will it work with just the software element of Traktor scratch as a controller, acting as my current djm600 & 1210's do but with the added extra of the cue point control etc built in or is it going to want me to get Traktor Pro? as I don't really want to have 2 different versions of whats essentially the same software. Does that make sense or am I being thick and thats what it does but I just don't realise it??

An honest answer is appreciated, I know I'm asking a lot but any help would be appreciated.
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by umairmalikg
I am also in a same problem... I also need help...
which problem?
Penelope Coughenour
thank you both for the websites.
Deshawn Groetzinger
I've ordered mine from MusicStore. Check out there too
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Originally Posted by basicz
damm..i tried some of the website posted i.e. deck.co, djkit, etc and they don't seem to ship to the US..just my luck...the search continues.
did you try thomann?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vestax_vci_400.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_sh...01&country=usa

DHL-Flatrate 30.00 EUR shipping fee.
Penelope Coughenour
damm..i tried some of the website posted i.e. deck.co, djkit, etc and they don't seem to ship to the US..just my luck...the search continues.
Deshawn Groetzinger
I'll post details as soon as I get mine VCI-400 ,and have a check on it ,in about 1-2 weeks.
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by dj_eddie_gr
I believe you can have 2 modifiers for receiving or sending a command. So you could map One condition to be the which player is focused (deck switch) and another condition ,which layer are the soft buttons (front swith (SW 84-89) so the leds are corresponding in the appropriate situation...
I might not be following you but that's the thing... You can't make the LEDs change color without changing (A/C) or front switch though, right? If I'm wrong it's just good news...
Dionne Bullock
If only we could have a 3rd modifier condition to use.....
Wouldn't that be swell...............

Would be heaven if the conditions could be stuff like (effect param 1 > 0.7).
Deshawn Groetzinger
If only we could have a 3rd modifier condition to use.....
Deshawn Groetzinger
I believe you can have 2 modifiers for receiving or sending a command. So you could map One condition to be the which player is focused (deck switch) and another condition ,which layer are the soft buttons (front swith (SW 84-89) so the leds are corresponding in the appropriate situation...
Dionne Bullock
You could use the deck switch ,combining with the front switch (the one for the soft touch layer) as a modifier for leds too.
Could you elaborate on that?

Just to be sure, I meant that it would be cool if we could go from red on to white on to green on to green flickering, all in the same page. When I tested, it seemed like flipping the front switch cut off the route for midi signals to reach the other LEDs.
Deshawn Groetzinger
You could use the deck switch ,combining with the front switch (the one for the soft touch layer) as a modifier for leds too.
Dionne Bullock
If you use the A/C & B/D switch as a modifier. then you could have 6x3 buttons for EACH channel.
Smart Probably would be cool if you could access all colors/behaviors of the LEDs regardless of the modes, which is currently a no-can-do. I told the Vestax guys they better look into it as long as they want to sell this gear as a universal controller. The LEDs are currently optimized for their mapping of Traktor Pro 2.
Deshawn Groetzinger
Originally Posted by DJ MiCL
Don't know, don't believes so from what I remember but you can map it and sort by Mapping to see if there are multiple functions assigned to the same midi (they will be highlighted)

When mapping the VCI-400, you want to remember that:

1) Flipping the A/C B/D switch will change the midi signals of:
12 Pads, Pitch Fader, Jog Wheel, Vinyl mode button.

2) Flipping through the play mode switch will change the midi signals of:
The 6 soft-touch buttons.
If you use the A/C & B/D switch as a modifier. then you could have 6x3 buttons for EACH channel.
Dionne Bullock
Originally Posted by escapemcp
A/C B/D also changes the 2 encoders next to shift - been reading the manuals... is that too geeky? :eek: Oops.. I've said too much.
Hey, nice of you to share your geeky findings.

And everyone should read the manual. To be entitled to post questions on a community .
Sulema Eshel

A/C B/D also changes the 2 encoders next to shift - been reading the manuals... is that too geeky? :eek: Oops.. I've said too much.
Sulema Eshel
Originally Posted by RD444
Thats some good logic bro

I promised myself i would just enjoy the controller straight out the box for a few months.

but its tempting to remap.
Isn't it!

I wish traktor was easier to make maps, rather than the pokey NI window... its insane.. . Theres a mapping app for the mac with wizards and all sorts of shit but not for PC
We all wish for it... maybe Santa might bring us it for xmas
Kacy Wehrmeyer
Don't know, don't believes so from what I remember but you can map it and sort by Mapping to see if there are multiple functions assigned to the same midi (they will be highlighted)

So if you always want a filter on/off on the surface, you're going to need to map it for all three modes.

I'd map it to the "sync" button and map sync to one of the soft touch buttons.

All the controls in the mixer section stay the same no matter what mode you're in.
Thats some good logic bro

I promised myself i would just enjoy the controller straight out the box for a few months.

but its tempting to remap.

I have a better grasp of the architecture now cheers for the post

I wish traktor was easier to make maps, rather than the pokey NI window... its insane.. . Theres a mapping app for the mac with wizards and all sorts of shit but not for PC
Dionne Bullock
I might map the edge bottom buttons to filter on off, but would that conflict with the current setting? Also theres no key lock button, does no-one use key lock these days.

So if you always want a filter on/off on the surface, you're going to need to map it for all three modes.

I'd map it to the "sync" button and map sync to one of the soft touch buttons.

All the controls in the mixer section stay the same no matter what mode you're in.

<< Back to DJ TechTools' VCI-400 FAQReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy