Fourbanks mode external is not working

Home :: MIDIfighter Resources and Discussion :: Fourbanks mode external is not workingReply
Fourbanks mode external is not working
Posted on: 17.08.2011 by Samella Vache
If i have Fourbanks mode activated and some buttons attached to the digital inputs, i receive two midi notes of my digital inputs. Actually its switching between two notes. After pressing one of the external buttons its switching to one note. but it doesnt seem to be like in Fourbanks mode internal at all. Sometimes the notes are switching if i press one of the external buttons, sometimes they dont.

I had the same problem with one button soldered directly and also with four buttons breadboarded for testing.

Fourbanks mode internal works great as it should. Also the activated digital and analog inputs ive tested with activated internal mode or just in "normal" mode, worked great.

I have a new MF with the latest Firmware.

Has anyone tested this before or had similar problems?

I'm sorry, my english isnt the best. Thank you for helping.

Edit: I took everything off the digital and analog inputs and tested it again. The MF is still constantly switching between two midi notes. This happens only in Fourbanks mode external.

the notes are: C-1/D#-1

For testing this, you have to activate the digital inputs first and then activate the Fourbanks mode external. Else you wont get a signal from the digital inputs.

Any solutions? Should i flash the firmware again?

Edit2: Ive flashed the firmware again and had a successful flash but i still got the "switching notes" problem in fourbanks external mode.
Lakeisha Allaway
Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey guys,

Sorry I have not had a chance to look into this before now - however I got some time to catch up yesterday and I was able to reproduce your problem.

So yes it must be a firmware issue - Ill try and sort it soon.

Ill post back in here once I release a fix - it really surprises me other people have not had this problem before now...
Awesome! Thank you so much!
I guess were the only two whos tried the external 4 banks mode since the latest firmware? :S
Hunter Renslow
Originally Posted by jobber
guywithknife tested it(thank you for this) and had the same problem on his classic.
it looks like theres a little bug in the code. i hope this will get fixed soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Guywithknife didn't solder his on either though!
Hunter Renslow
Sorry for asking again. Why is the problem only in external mode?

It's hard to rule out what is happening until the header is properly soldered and you've ruled out pull-ups.
We definitely had it working on ours. If it still doesnt work for you after trying this we will wire up some buttons over the weekend and test for you(with the latest firmware)

From experience over the last few months we've found that a bad solder joint can cause some unexplained problems. I nearly pulled my hair out on many occasions while modding my midifighter.
Lakeisha Allaway
Originally Posted by midifidler
Hey guys,

Sorry I have not had a chance to look into this before now - however I got some time to catch up yesterday and I was able to reproduce your problem.

Ill post back in here once I release a fix - it really surprises me other people have not had this problem before now...
Awesome! Thank you so much!
I guess were the only two whos tried the external 4 banks mode since the latest firmware? :S
Adolf Hit
Hey guys,

Lakeisha Allaway
@Sidetrakd

When you guys wrote your custom firmware for your midifighter extreeme, what original firmware did you use?

Im really starting to believe this is a firmware issue.
Would love to see someone with the latest official firmware try this and get it to work.

My guess is that it didnt work for me, jobber or guywithknife since we are all on the latest firmware.
Samella Vache
Looks like Brinx has the same problem with bank switching in external mode:

http://www.djranking s.com/community /showthread.php?t=36860

I hope theres a fix for this soon.
Hunter Renslow
guywithknife tested it(thank you for this) and had the same problem on his classic.

Guywithknife didn't solder his on either though!
Samella Vache

Samella Vache
Thank you guys! Ill try to solder the header first.
Hoa Koogle
Jobber i just wired my midifighter up and all is working sweet. I believe your issue must come from a bad solder joint. Let us know how you get on once everything is soldered in tight.
robert chanda
The MF is definitely touchy with solder joints.

So much so that at DJTT they've spend significant money getting good solder workstations, invested in importing "crystal flux" solder from the UK and done a little retraining.

We learned a lot about reliability and troubleshooting from making custom MFs.
Hunter Renslow

It's hard to rule out what is happening until the header is properly soldered and you've ruled out pull-ups.
We definitely had it working on ours. If it still doesnt work for you after trying this we will wire up some buttons over the weekend and test for you(with the latest firmware)

From experience over the last few months we've found that a bad solder joint can cause some unexplained problems. I nearly pulled my hair out on many occasions while modding my midifighter.
Samella Vache
I understand, thank you. I will try this definitely.

Edit: Ive tried it. But no note has been sent and the mf's led's where blinking like on startup.
Hoa Koogle
[QUOTE=jobber;336910]I mean 4 digital inputs not pins, sorry. I had 4 buttons connected to the digital inputs so the circuit was closed. The buttons only have two pins each, one goes to ground, one to the input.
QUOTE]

Sorry i should have been more straight forward in my reply. If you dont connect +5v to digital you end up getting a "ghosting" of your buttons.
You simply connect every thing in Fatlimys picture as shown minus the resistor. Thats why you still have an open circuit. How have you got it wired now?
Samella Vache
Ok, let me sum it up.

Ive tested this on a friends MF and his unit had the exact same problem.

If the problem is the fact of not having resistors, a bad solder joint or an open circuit.
I would have problems in all modes, not only in external mode, because the digital inputs also get read in normal and internal mode. Is this correct?

I was believeing about flashing an older firmware for testing. Is this possible?
Samella Vache
Pull up resistors are not needed anymore. And if this would be the problem i would have problems in all modes, but i have it only in external mode.

Correct me if im wrong.
Hoa Koogle
Hi, I believe i found your problem, please correct me if im wrong but i believe you need to wire +5v to the digital in and the switch on the one side.

http://www.djranking s.com/community /sho...r+mod+question

I believe this will work ive been doing a lot of research on this as im looking at making a big diy controller in the next week or so. But please correct me if im wrong someone.
Samella Vache
This is my midi log in external mode, as you can see its not constant.

Code:
Time			Source		State		Ch.	Note	Velo.
-------------------------------------
Strange note switching:
10:13:55.184	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:13:55.185	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
10:13:55.194	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:13:55.195	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
10:13:55.205	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:13:55.205	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
10:13:55.215	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:13:55.216	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
10:13:55.225	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:13:55.235	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
10:13:55.235	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:13:55.236	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
Button 1 / Digital Input 1:
10:13:55.225	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:13:55.235	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
10:13:55.235	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:13:55.236	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
Button 2 / Digital Input 2:
10:14:05.578	From Midifighter	Note On		3	1	127
10:14:05.588	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	1	127
10:14:05.588	From Midifighter	Note On		3	2	127
10:14:05.589	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	2	127
Button 3 / Digital Input 3:
10:14:15.687	From Midifighter	Note On		3	2	127
10:14:15.833	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	2	127
Button 4 / Digital Input 4:
10:14:39.579	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:14:39.589	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
10:14:39.589	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:14:39.590	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
Button 3 / Digital Input 3:
10:14:50.497	From Midifighter	Note On		3	2	127
10:14:50.507	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	2	127
10:14:50.507	From Midifighter	Note On		3	1	127
10:14:50.509	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	1	127
Button 2 / Digital Input 2:
10:15:03.707	From Midifighter	Note On		3	1	127
10:15:03.847	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	1	127
Button 1 / Digital Input 1:
10:15:13.447	From Midifighter	Note On		3	0	127
10:15:13.457	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	0	127
10:15:13.457	From Midifighter	Note On		3	3	127
10:15:13.459	From Midifighter	Note Off	3	3	127
Digital input 1 is note 3, input 2 is note 2, input 3 is note 1 and input 4 is note 0.

In external mode the note switching appears also without connected anything to the digital inputs. Theres no note switching in the other modes with activated digital inputs.
Samella Vache
Right, they work properly as midi notes in internal and "normal" mode.

If i turn on external mode, before i touch anything i have these strange switching notes until i hit one of the external buttons. Then i can switch banks but it doesnt work properly, this is difficult to describe but i can do you a video of my midi logger.

The switching notes are always 0/3, or in notes C-1/D#-1
Kimberly Lewark
But the external buttons/digital inputs also get read in "normal" and internal mode, if i have the digital inputs activated. As additional buttons for example. I did that and it workd without note switching. So why it should only causing problems in external mode?
Oh thats a good point. So, the buttons work fine as MIDI notes, but not to switch banks?
Samella Vache
But the external buttons/digital inputs also get read in "normal" and internal mode, if i have the digital inputs activated. As additional buttons for example. I did that and it workd without note switching. So why it should only causing problems in external mode?
Kimberly Lewark
But one thing i still dont understand, why should the external buttons only causing problems in external mode and not in the other modes?
The external buttons only get read when in external mode, so you won't see any problems when this is not enabled.
Samella Vache
Thanks for your answers. I'll give it a try and solder the header.

But one thing i still dont understand, why should the external buttons only causing problems in external mode and not in the other modes?
Hunter Renslow
But the note switching appears only in fourbanks mode external, not in "normal" and internal mode.

If the problem is the fact that i have no resistors, i should get random notes in all modes, right?
If the external buttons are causing the problem then no you would not have problems in any other mode.

I can hardly believe the non soldered header is the problem. The Arcade Buttons arent soldered too. And i plugged the header in a similar way.

Who has a mf with latest firmware and proper working fourbanks mode external?
From my experience I can tell you that a bad solder joint can cause unstable values.
The arcade buttons are plugged into sockets that have a good connection
I still believe your problem is most likely the plugged in header.
Solder it in properly and see what happens

edit: Yes I have tried my midifighter with external banks and it works
Samella Vache
But the note switching appears only in fourbanks mode external, not in "normal" and internal mode.

If the problem is the fact that i have no resistors, i should get random notes in all modes, right?

I can hardly believe the non soldered header is the problem. The Arcade Buttons arent soldered too. And i plugged the header in a similar way.

Who has a mf with latest firmware and proper working fourbanks mode external?
Hunter Renslow
First solder in the header as that could be the problem.
Even when soldered a bad solder joint could cause glitchy values.

The "random" notes without pull-ups aren't exactly random it will be what ever note is assigned to the button that doesn't have a pull-up. So if you have two buttons without pull-ups you will have two notes
Samella Vache
Ive sent you a video of the switching notes.

Without pull-up resistors i have random notes, right?
but i always have the same two notes, theyre not random. And only until i hit one of the bank buttons. I dont believe its because i dont use a resistor.

At the moment i have everything breadboarded also the header is only plugged to the connections for testing. But i tried all kinds of variations and had always the same result.

Do you have a mf with latest firmware and working fourbanks mode extrenal?
Hunter Renslow
You could try putting in some pull-up resistors? Fatlimey has enabled the internal pull-ups in the Atmel but you could try it just to rule it out.

Connect your button as normal and put a 10k resistor from 5v to input.

Can we get a few pictures or video? Have you definitely ruled out bad solder joints/broken wires?
Ella Rick
Try and get a hold of sidetrakd he made an awesome MF custom controller,
He might be able to help
Samella Vache
Ive tested all kinds of settings, connections, buttons, wires etc. now, to eliminate any kind of hardware and software related problems and i always had the same described result.

Can someone share his experiences, who tested fourbanks external with 4 buttons connected to the digital inputs. And the latest Firmware on the mf.

I always had the strange note switching and bank select did not work properly.

Any Idea?
Samella Vache
I mean 4 digital inputs not pins, sorry. I had 4 buttons connected to the digital inputs so the circuit was closed. The buttons only have two pins each, one goes to ground, one to the input.

But if its normal to have random notes if the circuit is open, why i dont have any random notes in "normal" and internal mode? Actually there not random its always the same two notes.

Edit: Now ive tested with the first digital input activated and a button attached to the first digital input. The circuit should be also closed, right? But i still got the strange switching notes.

Edit2: I had the chance to test a friends mf, his unit had the same problem.
robert chanda
So you connect one side of the switches to the digital pins, and the other side of the switch to... where?
Samella Vache
sounds logical but i had the same issue with 4 buttons connected to all 4 digital pins.

Edit: I mean inputs not pins, sorry.
robert chanda
You've not connected anything to the digital pins, so you've got an open circuit. Expect randomness when you have an open circuit!

Having said that, we do enable the internal pull-ups on the digital inputs so you shouldn't be getting random firing of an open pin.
Samella Vache
Its constantly switching, before i touch anything. I dont believe this is normal.

The external mode should act like the internal. Except in Fourbanks mode external, the bank buttons are external, right? But i have no strange switching in internal mode. Also in internal mode, i always get the same note from one of the digital inputs, in every one of the 4 banks.

theres definitely something wrong here.

Sendt you a pm with a video ive recorded, to show the problem.

Thank you for helping me out.
robert chanda
4-banks mode sends a "Bank Select" note on a keydown so that the software can work out which bank is currently active and act accordingly (i.e. set modifiers in Traktor). When you change bank the MF send a note-off for the currently selected bank to tell us the bank has been deselected and then sends a note-on for the newly selected bank. This way the state is kept consistent. This is why you're seeing two notes on a bank change.

Additionally the Bank buttons also have their own note which sends a note-on when the key is depressed and a note-off when it is released. We use this additional note for special effects so that in 4-banks internal mode the bank buttons can serve dual purpose - switch banks and, if you hit the currently selected bank, do something else (like reset the effects or toggle a window swap).

So it sounds like it's acting correctly, just probably a little more than you expected!

<< Back to MIDIfighter Resources and DiscussionReply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy