New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
"A lot of the themes on the record are about being alone and facing the slings and arrows of existence. I write about abortion, I write about motherhood, I write about miscarriage. It's not an easy record."
On March 1, the Geelong Women Unionists Network kicked off a week of International Womens Day celebrations in Victoria. A week later, on the day itself, acclaimed U.S. singer-songwriter Amanda Palmer released her hyper-personal, accidentally feminist, extremely direct new album. Describing it, she said: My personal life unfolded, along with abortion, and facing off with the world as a mother, right alongside the rise of [US President Donald] Trump and the extreme right in America. And it made telling the truth feel essential. I think its the sharpest, most effective political tool we wield right now, as women.
Amanda Palmer is constantly busy with one project or another, but she hasnt released a proper solo album in seven years until now. There Will Be No Intermission is her third proper solo album ever, and it follows 2012s Theatre Is Evil, which Amanda made with the Grand Theft Orchestra. Its also a much different sounding album than the rock-oriented Theatre Is Evil. The songs on There Will Be No Intermission are more somber, often with just Amanda and her piano or Amanda and her ukulele, and the stripped-back arrangements help put Amandas lyrics which are especially powerful on this album in the forefront. In Amandas words, The rise of global fascism alongside the spreading fire of #MeToo has forged a louder megaphone for all women, and were all seeing that radical truth is infectious. I feel more urgency than ever to share the naked truth of my experiences.
Stella Donnelly: Beware of the Dogs
If you've known someone who's ever seen Stella Donnelly live at one of the festival appearances on her busy schedule, maybe, or opening for an artist like Natalie Prass you've known someone who's told you you've got to listen to Stella Donnelly. Her debut EP Thrush Metal (2018) was full of quietly searing accounts of her life as a young Australian woman, and she's getting a little bit louder with her first full-length. Donnelly has built a band for her first international headlining tour, and Beware of the Dogs hums with the lacerating lyrics and loping rhythms of songs like "Tricks." (Jay)
Between Amanda Palmers latest and this debut album from Australias Stella Donnelly, its a good week for albums that resonate in the #MeToo era. Beware of the Dogs takes its sonic cues from twee-ish indie pop, but there is nothing lighthearted about this album lyrically. She issues warnings like Are you scared of me old man? Or are you scared of what Ill do? You grabbed me with an open hand, the world is grabbing back at you (Old Man), she sings bluntly about rape and victim-blaming (Boys Will Be Boys), she discusses those awkward political debates with conservative relatives during the holidays (Seasons Greetings), she tackles everyday sexism (Tricks) and religion-based sexism (Watching Telly), and she sings proudly and unsubtly about a vibrator (Mosquito).
- 22.05.2019 Selena Gomez at Cannes 2019
- 22.05.2019 Here Are the Lyrics to Taylor Swift's 'ME!,'
- 22.05.2019 Why Gwyneth Paltrow Has Worked Hard'
- 20.05.2019 Netherlands wins Eurovision
- 22.05.2019 Julia Roberts Reveals Why Shes Never Watched Game of Thrones
- 22.05.2019 Elton John: 'Being a performer saved my life'
- 22.05.2019 Shakira and Carlos Vives beat plagiarism case
- 20.05.2019 Taylor Swift admits strange shower habit
- 19.05.2019 Sam Smith & Normani's 'Dancing With a Stranger' Hits No. 1
- 19.05.2019 Michael Jackson's Eldest Child Prince Graduates
- 15.05.2019 Taylor Swift Reacts to YouTubers' 'ME!'
- 19.05.2019 Unfinished Prince memoir gets publication date
- 15.05.2019 'Daisy Jones & the Six' goes behind the music
- 15.05.2019 P!nk and Stormzy Continue U.K. Chart Reigns
- 15.05.2019 Halsey Announces New Single 'Nightmare'
- 14.05.2019 Grandmaster Flash wins Polar Music Prize
- 14.05.2019 New releases from Amanda Palmer, Stella Donnelly
- 19.05.2019 Hozier talks about new album 'Wasteland, Baby!'
- 14.05.2019 Myspace loses 50 million songs
- 14.05.2019 Kanye West gets booed at Bonnaroo
Back to news